Premier League Team of the Year 2011

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
Last year's version: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/english-football/57047-premier-league-your-team-year-2010-a.html

No specific rules, other than the obvious (hopefully) one that all choices must be Premier League players.

So what is your team of the year (not season 2010/11, but the actual year of 2011).

Please post reasoning behind your choices, as many decisions will be picked apart by the lovely community we have here at FM Base, and it'd be nice to know why you chose a player for a particular position.

Without further ado, here is my choice for Team of the Year 2011 in the Premier League:

Krul
Richards Kompany Vidic Enrique
Nani Parker Modric Bale
Silva
Van Persie

Honourable mentions to: Vorm, Hart, Agger, Coloccini, Walker, Lucas, Cabaye, Rooney, Ba.

If I've forgotten anyone obvious, then please do criticise my choices; I may well agree with you and just flaked at remembering someone.

Reasoning:

Krul - Newcastle had the joint least goals conceded up until around December time for a reason this season, and although much credit has to go to the very efficient partnership of Coloccini and Taylor at the heart of defence, I think Tim Krul is responsible for the majority of the defensive points gained by Newcastle over the past year.

-

Richards - With the RB position questionable at both United and Chelsea this year, and with Sagna injured for this season, this was an almost immediate choice for me, and would have been the most insta-picked position if it wasn't for the performances of our very own Kyle Walker. Still, I do think Richards currently offers more defensively than his Spurs counterpart so he gets in ahead with some very impressive showings since breaking his way back into the City team.

Kompany - The man mountain and monster that you somehow have to beat consistently to beat City. He is truly a machine, and City remaining unbeaten in the league at the Etihad is a testament not only to how well he performs himself, but also how well he organises his defensive teammates. Would also be the captain of this team, if I was choosing one.

Vidic - You only have to see how many goals United have begun to concede since his injury to realise just how important this player is. He has become possibly United's most valuable player with the retirement of Edwin VDS and the inconsistency of a certain Wayne Rooney and he seems to relish this. Not only does he look rock solid at the back, but he also chips in with important goals for the team.

Enrique - Quality with Newcastle last season and has been very impressive indeed since his switch to Merseyside. In my opinion, he has been the best signing at Anfield despite many labelling Suarez as world class, purely because he is such a consistent performer. With Cole's poor form last season and Evra going completely off the boil, there was little competitive for this position other than Baines and BAE, who I believe are slightly behind Enrique not in talent, but by consistent showings.

-

Nani - Might blow hot and cold occasionally, but is always a threat to the defence with his trickery and deception. This position chooses itself with the Portuguese star looking the most threatening right winger in a United shirt, when they have several that could be considered contenders for this position.

Parker - A fantastic personal season last year with a poor West Ham side, and a great start to the 2011/2012 season with Tottenham means you can't really look past Parker for one of the CM positions. There was huge competition for these slots, but having watched Parker the most throughout 2011 between those I considered alongside him, he gets the nod from me.

Modric - An exceptional season last year drew heavy interest from multiple teams and three bids from Chelsea. Always reliable, not just for his incredible passing range but his solidity and toughness for someone of his stature. Not the best at producing direct assists for the team, he's the one who will create the initial pass that leads to a goalscoring opportunity, whilst keeping play ticking over with a usually ridiculous 90%+ success per game.

Bale - Similar to Nani, in that his performances have blown hot and cold, but this season especially has really come into his own and begun producing the goods we all knew he could with a quality striker on the end of them. Tied on goals with Nani this year and around 3-4 years younger, this lad has a bright future and his performances this year guaranteed his place in my team.

-

Silva - Labelled by many as 'the best player in the Premier League', this position was never in doubt and was one of two slots where I had no doubts who would be filling it. Not only do his exceptional performances keep City's new attacking style ticking over, but he also chips in with his share of goals and direct assists too. Superb player, and fantastic in a number of midfield positions.

-

Van Persie - Quality. Amazing. Broke the Arsenal goalscoring record of Thierry Henry this year. Used to be mostly limited to his left foot, but seems to have become unbelievably capable with his right in the past year or so to the point where it doesn't seem to matter which side he shoots from. Not much more to say here. If he isn't in your team, then don't bother posting it in the thread because it's wrong.

---

So, post yours. :)

Krul
Richards Kompany Vidic Enrique
Parker
Nani Silva Bale
Van Persie Sturridge

Bench: Hart, Terry, Modric, Rooney, Demba Ba, Lucas, Collocini
( Suprised myself by only putting one Chelsea playe in line up :p)

Last edited:
Hart
Walker Kompany Vidic Enrique
Parker Modric
Silva Rooney Bale
Van Persie

3 city players!!?!? i'm a closet blue

Not a particularly popular topic of discussion then. :$

Happy to see a player from my story save in there (Vorm) :$

Seriously though, if Jags had been able to continue his form from last season, I'd have him in the starting eleven along with Baines. But alas, not a season to remember so far. But I'd go with that starting eleven. The way Cabaye has been playing is pretty dam special too it has to be said so definately deserves to be in there.

Though at the risk of sounding a bit bias, I may have put Howard on the bench. He's at times kept us in some matches with some exceptional performances when everybody else was pants, and made some really good penalty saves.

Krul (Newc)

Richards (ManC) - Kompany (ManC) - Vidic (ManU) - Enrique (Newc/Liv)

Toure (ManC) - Parker (WHU/Spurs)

Nani (ManU) - Silva (ManC) - Bale (Spurs)

van Persie (Ars)

I've included team names to force myself to accept Chelsea had been awful last year.
I literally vomited with the amount of players from both Manc clubs and the fact I brought myself to write two Spurs players.

Reasons: I don't really need to give any to be honest. I suppose people could question why Modric isn't in my team, but my response would be that he's the most over-rated, over-priced, invisible player I've ever had the misfortune to watch kick a ball.​

Last edited:
I would have gone with Hart in goal, and also Ramires in CM. other than that, Billy's got it pretty spot on.

Krul
Richards Kompany Coloccini Baines
Toure Parker
Nani Silva Bale
van Persie

Hart

Richards Kompany Cahill Enrique

Nani Silva Ramires Bale

Ba Van Persie

Modric most over-rated? Invisible? XD

That's just.......amazing. Dear oh dear

Reasons: I don't really need to give any to be honest. I suppose people could question why Modric isn't in my team, but my response would be that he's the most over-rated, over-priced, invisible player I've ever had the misfortune to watch kick a ball.​

WE BE TROLLIN'

Szcsensy

Richards Kompany Koscielny Baines

Modric Cabaye Toure

Silva Van Persie Bale​

Hart
Richards - Kompany - Vidic - Enrique
Parker - Modric
Nani - Rooney - Silva
RVP​

*Picked players based on formation and form*

Hart - Been superb for City over the year and really established himself as one of the best 'keepers in the Premier League and definitely England's No.1.

Richards -
Again, been fantastic for City and is key to their attacks (much like Dani Alves for Barcelona). Quite shocking that he isn't England's No.1 right-back, let alone struggling to get into the squads.

Enrique -
Was very good for Newcastle at the beginning of the year and has carried his good form into the new season with Liverpool. Was a tough call between him and Baines, but he just edges it for me.

Kompany - Top class defender and has proved he's one of the best in the league, if not the world.

Vidic - Best in the world for me. 'Nuff said.

Parker - Was unlucky to go down with West Ham last year with the performances he put in, but has come into the Tottenham team and made helped turn them into title contenders. Never stops running and is solid. Mr.Reliable for Spurs and becoming a key player for England too.

Modric - Was excellent last season and with all the drama during the summer everyone expected him to struggle this season. However, he's come through the drama and continued to be one of Spurs' greatest influences. He's made a fantastic partnership with Parker in the middle of the park and would walk into any midfield in the Premier League.

Nani - Nani has transformed from a one-trick pony winger, into a bordering World-Class winger for Manchester United. He was key our title win last season and he's carried on his consistency and form into this season. Top, top player.

Silva - David Silva had a good start to his Man City career last season, but has showed no signs of "second season syndrome" and has pushed on to show his World-Class ability this season. He's been Man City's main man this season and has showed why he is on the brink of pushing into the Spain starting eleven.

Rooney - Rooney started 2011 with a goal and since then has thrived in his new role as the 'No.10' just off the striker. He creates from deep and scores plenty of goals too, already got 17 goals this season (more than last season). World class player deserves his place in the side.

RVP - 35 goals in the Premier League in a calendar year, one off Alan Shearer's record. Stayed fit for the majority and has fired Arsenal back into European contention after their shocking start to this season. On current form, one of the best strikers in World football.

Richards - Kompany - Vidic - Enrique
Lucas - Modric
Silva - Mata - Bale
RVP

ur living in the clouds or what bro.

over rated, no he's NOT.
overpriced, maybe u cant afford him LOL.

Hart

Richards Kompany Vidic Baines

Y. Toure Tiote

Silva Modric Bale

RVP

Reina Howard or Friedel could have been between the sticks, all are consistently top performers.

Jagielka, Samba or Enrique could have been an alternative back four, Richards is head and shoulders above the rest of the right backs in the league so I don't see another option. Walker is certainly as good going forward, but Richards offers more strength, height and can play centre back if needed too, walker doesn't have the same defensive attributes.

Ramieres, Parker or Song were my other options for the 'holding' roles. Tiote had a fantastic season last year, and will be signed by a big club within 2 years I reckon.

Cant really think of any attack minded midfielders as alternatives to those 3. Nani is still not the finished article, he was getting there last season but right now Valencia looks such a better footballer. Nasri before he moved to man city maybe.

Every striking alternative has either had great starts to this season (Adebayor, Ba) or good runs towards the end of last season, no-one can match RVP for consistency.

Joe Hart: So incredibly nailed on as England's number one for the next 3 tournaments at least. plenty of young keepers are talked about when coming through the leagues (smithies, loach) and some even make it to a big club with time on their side (foster, Carson) but none of them have grabbed their opportunities like this lad. Successive managers when given the option of signing any keeper in the world have stuck with Hart as City's first choice. More commanding of his area than he was, a great distributor of the ball, organises defenses well, and most of all, he's a great shot stopper.

Richards. Failo Capello has overlooked the absolute unit that is Richards for too long. He's better defensively than both Glen Johnson and Kyle Walker. Whilst arguably he doesn't have the passing/crossing ability than Glen Johnson demonstrates on occasion, or the sheer pace and trickery of Walker, he does demonstrate his not so shabby skillset on a much more consistent basis than the other two. Quick, strong, great in the air, aggresive in the tackle, and he reads the game so well now too, all the qualities a decent full back needs. What makes him a great full back is his ability going forward, and then his athleticism to get back in time if the ball is lost. As I said he doesn't necessarily have Johnson's finesse when distributing, or walkers trickery, but would you want to try and tackle him when he's on one of those marauding dribbles???

Kompany. World class, City's best signing under the sheikhs ownership. Besides being a superb defender, he's a great organiser of the team, and a superb captain/example: look at the way he dealt with the recent 'red card' - he didn't argue with the ref, protest or get in his face at all. He simply turned and calmly walked off the pitch. I have a great deal more respect for him (had loads anyway) since that incident. The dummy spitters like ballotelli and even his card waving manager can learn a few things from Vincent.

Vidic. Essentially see Kompany, perhaps minus theta bit of true class and dignity, I'm not sure nemanja would have made that tackle in the same way, but he would have reacted totally differently to the red IMO. Sure there's room, a need even, for passion in the game. But not when it's the sort of filth we see directed at officials every week. Vidic's injury means the title is almost certainly going to the blue half of Manchester this season, that's the sort of difference he makes.

Baines needs more time in an England shirt to demonstrate to the wider footballing public what he's all about. Ashley's Coles recent indifferent form could be leightons opportunity, and if he takes it, then we Have a special player on our hands. Defensively sound, albeit exposed somewhat in the air, but it's his range of passing going forward that separates him from the other left backs in the league. Playing a one-two down the left, or pinging a 60 yard through ball over the opposing right back, it's all very easy andnatural for baines. Add to that, intelligent movement and ability to find space, and an absolute peach of a left foot in dead ball situations and a pretty tidy player you will find.

Tiote. The engine room. I haven't seen a player consistently put in shifts like this lad since Essien first moved to Chelsea. Quick, strong, a fine tackler and for someone considered an anchor man, he doesn't half pick a pass well. Then of course there's the ability to score a ludicrous goal from nowhere, you know what I'm talking about, THAT goal. He has the perfect player in Cabaye to partner him at Newcastle, i would liken them to Gattuso and Pirlo in the defined roles they have, thats not to say Chiek is all mad tackles and arguing with members of Spurs backroom staff, oh no, Tiote has ability and will be at a big club soon. Song has done a decent job, but Tiote and Arsenal are a perfect fit IMO.

Yaya Toure. It says a lot about the technical ability demonstrated in La Liga and Barcelona particularly when Yaya Toure is considered nothing more than a holding player; 'win the ball, give it to someone who can play' springs to mind when thinking what Guardiolas team talks must have been like with Yaya. That very same player is one of the most talented box to box players in the premier league. As adept at tackling and intercepting as he is bursting late into the box to score or playing in a team mate with a reverse pass or an inventive flick. He been particularly outstanding since the arrival of Nasri, maybe he thrives on a bit of pressure.

Modric. Outstanding last season, and despite an early season wobble, probably attributed to all that interest from Chelsea, he's continued his fine form this year. This heartbeat of Spurs going forward, how some chump above can describe him as invisible is beyond me. Goals and direct assists aren't everything. Who makes the clever inside pass or intelligent run to allow bale and van der vaart to set Adebayor up? It's certainly not fresh air, defenders tend to ignore that.

David Silva. My mate lived in Valencia on a work placement for 6 months, just at the time when Silvas time with the club was ending. He said he was going to tear the premier league apart. I (based purely on brief champions league tv viewing and hours of football manager) disagreed and rated Mata as the one to watch. Matas done okay, a solid 7/10 if you will, but Silva? Wow. One of the cleverest creative players around right now. Almost perfect as a roaming second striker or inside forward off the wing, unmarkable. Touch, pace, passing, dribbling, he's got it all.

Bale. Decent transformation from left back with some promise, stagnating after his move from Southampton, into world class winger with the world at his feet. My favourite player to watch at the minute. He's showing Theo Walcott how to do the simple things well. Bale doesn't beat his man with a fancy flick or trick, he's not even that good a dribbler. He has got incredible pace, a superb first touch, and something a lot of wingers tend to lack these days, technique (see THAT volley for details) and an ability to cross. Take note Theo, beat man for pace, deliver pin point cross, take the pundits breath away, simple.

Van Persie. Mr consistent, Mr world class centre forward. If he remains injury free then he could go on to surpass Thierry Henry as the darling of every Gunners fan. nothing more to say on him really, everyone know what RVP is all about, it's always been a case of keeping him fit. Give him the ball and watch the magic happen.

Gaffer. I'd give it as a tie between Harry Redknapp and Alan Pardew., for obviously very different reasons. Redknapp is finally getting the eternal nearly men into a position where for the first time in a while, when the squad starts to look capable of something serious, the best players aren't picked off by bigger clubs. A move to the 'big 4' from Spurs is no longer a massive jump, if one at all as you can argue Spurs are in the 'big 4' right now. Pardew has taken a newly promoted side, and notoriously wild and unpredictable club/squad and turned it first into an established top flight team again, but now, with a few shrewd additions (cabaye is bargain of the past few seasons for me) into genuine top 6 contenders. Injuries may prevent them from grabbing champions league football, but i think newcastle as a genuine force are back.​

OP has it spot on for me. maybe replace Enrique with Baines but that's all I can think of.