Preston North End - The English De Toekomst

Mike :]

Reaction score
After a break from FM whilst I completed my university studies and work I've decided to create a new story featuring the team of my university, Preston North End. Apologies to everyone who followed my Middlesbrough save but that is long gone and is no longer accessible. Anyway onto the story behind the story!

My fascination with Ajax's De Toekomst Academy came about around two years ago whilst playing FM as Ajax and being amazed at the quality of player that came through the youth system. From there I used an ECA report to develop an article on them, which can be found on my blog here, and read up on the theories behind the training methods and how they brought players threw the system.

View attachment 367801

View attachment 617904

'Preston North End - The English De Toekomst'

The main goal for Ajax is to have three players make it to the first team from the academy every two seasons, if they don’t achieve this it is seen as a failure. To achieve their aim, they have to get the right type of player in from the start and they do this through their extensive scouting network. Although Preston North End don't have a similar scouting network to Ajax, I'm going to try my best to keep a high standard of youth players that come through into the youth team.

After finding the latest talent for the academy, the players have to go through a test stage called ‘talentdagen’, a stage where the coaches find out if they are good enough to be signed on a youth contract. In this stage the coaches look for a certain set of skills which would allow them to fit into the Ajax style of play. The desired skills for the young players include ball control, position play, movement habits, mind-set and T.I.P.S (Technique, Intelligence, Rapidity and Personality). If they pass this test stage, they are deemed to have the technical ability to progress into the academy.

It's going to be a struggle to begin with as I have to reshape the club to how I want it to be run. This will include hiring the correct type of staff. Sorting through the current players at the club and deciding who can/cannot make it. While at the same time trying to get good enough results so I keep my job and don't get fired.

I can't just take over the club and expect everything to fall into place the way I want it to. There must be some kind of transitional period that allows me to bring in new coaches, scouts, players and tutors. If not then I'll fail and probably be sacked. With this in mind I've given myself three seasons to bring in enough quality staff and older players to use as tutors.

I also need to set up a large scouting network so I can scour the globe for players aged between 14-17 who I think might make a good addition to the youth teams. At first I wasn't going to bring anyone in but it seems like Ajax do this a lot so I thought I'd do the same.

I'm hoping that spending time in these first few seasons will build a great foundation for what I am trying to achieve. So by the start of the fourth season, I expect everything to be in place for how I want to shape the club and take them forward.

View attachment 367801

Facilities

View attachment 367798

The facilities that Preston North End have are quite impressive considering they are in League One but they were a Championship team only a few years ago. I'm satisfied with Deepdale having a large capacity as it means that we won't have to develop it if we get promoted through the leagues into the Premier League and can put that money into youth recruitment, youth facilities and junior coaching. The training facilities are of a good standard as well whilst the youth facilities aren't the best but will hopefully be improved in the next two seasons.

View attachment 367801

Squads

View attachment 367797

At the moment there is only one player in the first team squad that is classed as home-grown by the club and that is Bailey Wright, who is shown below. There are a number of players that will be tutoring some of my younger players such as Kevin Davies, Jack King and Paul Gallagher as they have high mental stats which will hopefully be picked up by them.

View attachment 367796

Bailey is the only player home-grown at the club in the first team so will be a key player for me in the opening few seasons in charge. As soon as I took charge of the team I extended his deal until 2018 to make sure that if a big club comes in for him in the meantime they will have to pay a big fee to get him out of his contract.

U21s

View attachment 367795

U18s

View attachment 367794

The U21s and U18s will play a big part in my management style as I intend to use them to my advantage my making the managers play the same system as I do in the first team. Hopefully by the end of the second season the two squads will be littered with young talent that has a chance of making it in the first team.

View attachment 367793

One player that stood out for me in the U21s and the U18s is 17 year old Josh Brownhill. I moved him up to my first team straight away, got him on a three year contract and got him tutored by Jack King to start his development immediately. A former Manchester United trainee, Josh will be used as the Advanced Playmaker in a midfield trio and key to the future of Preston North End.

View attachment 367801

Tactic

View attachment 367792

The tactic being deployed is an advanced version of the traditional Ajax 4-3-3 system that has been with the club for years and has the two wingers pushed further up the field to almost act as two additional strikers. The tactic can be downloaded here and credit goes to Steaton on the SI Forum but was uploaded on here by ady911, who made a few tweaks to the system.

View attachment 367801

Transfer Policy

- Buy at least two players aged between 14-17.
- Bring in a variety of loan players, mixed age, to increase talent of squad.
- Add experienced players to the squad to become tutors.
- Invest in at least one key player per season to make sure a high standard squad is maintained.

View attachment 367801

Targets

- Promotion to the Championship
- Promotion to the Premier League
- Improve youth facilities to highest standard
- Bring through three players from U21s/U18s into first team every two seasons.

View attachment 367801

Sorry for the long winded post but here's to a long successful career!

If you have any questions or need any screenshots, just ask!

Last edited:
Will Hayhurst is another local lad, nice to see a Preston story!

Really looking forward to this. Fantastic OP, has given me a few ideas to maybe plan a final FM story myself. :)

Sounds interesting mate, will follow!

Cheers mate, appreciate it! Big fan of your FC Inter Turku save[h=3][/h]
Will Hayhurst is another local lad, nice to see a Preston story!

Yeah I've noticed Hayhurst is from around Preston so will be used in the lesser cup games.

Really looking forward to this. Fantastic OP, has given me a few ideas to maybe plan a final FM story myself. :)

Cheers mate, appreciate it!

Will be doing the following updates for each season:

Summer Transfer Window
Mid-Season Update
Winter Transfer Window
Youth Intake
End of Season Review

What do people think of that? Too little updates?

View attachment 619192

Season One

Summer Transfer Window

View attachment 367260

Transfers

View attachment 367259

A quiet transfer window as I worked with the small funds that I had from the first board meeting. Iain Hume was the joint top earner at the club on £5,000 per week and was thereford sold to Wigan for £500,000 but only £50,000 of that was put into my transfer budget. With that extra money I brought in 16 year old Jordan McGhee from Hearts for £130,000 and he'll be one of the players I'll be looking to develop over the next couple of years. John Marquis was brought in on a three month loan after Stuart Beavon was ruled out for the same period of time so will be cover for him until he recovers from his injury. The final incoming player was the brother of Tom Clarke, Peter, and will be the key player that I aimed to bring in every season. A couple of my younger players were sent out on loan to get some vital first team experience.

Jordan McGhee

View attachment 367258

John Marquis

View attachment 367257

Peter Clarke

View attachment 367256

View attachment 367260

View attachment 367255

View attachment 367254

After the initial slip up against promotion favourites Wolves we've got back on track and won every game since. Two Championship teams have perished in the current winning streak as we beat both Middlesbrough and Millwall in the Capital One Cup to set up a Third Round tie against Hull in September. Our league form has been impressive with Bolton loanee being on fire during the latter games of August, despite being 23rd after one game we're now up to 3rd in the league.

Key Player

View attachment 367253

Craig has been key to our success in the opening month of the season as he led the line excellently alongside Kevin Davies and Joe Garner. Found his goalscoring boats in the final three games of the month as he fired in six goals in three games including a hat trick against Coventry in the league and a double against Millwall in the cup.​

View attachment 619524

Season One

Mid-Season Update

View attachment 367109

View attachment 619533

League Table

View attachment 367104

Results

View attachment 367103

A mixed bag of results since the last update has seen us remain hopeful of promotion but we currently sit 4th in the play-offs. The two Davies' upfront have been in great form over the past few months and regularly find themselves on the scoresheet along with their strike partner Joe Garner. Stuart Beavon has returned from injury and has gradually pushed himself into the team with John Marquis returning to his parent club Millwall. Declan Rudd made two bad mistakes in the game against Oldham as he conceded two soft free kicks, both from around 40 yards out, but has since recovered from that and put in solid performances during the past few months.

View attachment 367109

View attachment 619553

View attachment 367090 View attachment 367089 View attachment 367088

After beating Hull in the Third Round, I realised that this would be a competition that we could do well in so turned my attention to this ahead of the league. For the Leeds and Cardiff games, I rested key players in the matches before and failed to win the league games prior to the cup fixtures. Paul Gallagher did well against Leeds and grabbed himself a couple of goals to set up a tie away to Cardiff in the Quarter Final. We have a fantastic start and were 2-0 up inside 17 minutes before Jack King got himself sent off before half time. After that we sat back and Cardiff got a goal back before equalising with the last kick in normal time before Stuart Beavon tapped in from close range in extra time to set up a semi-final tie against Stoke.

View attachment 367083

View attachment 367109

View attachment 367098

View attachment 367081

We were handed an easy tie in the First Round of the FA Cup and dispatched Rochdale without any problems in a 4-0 win to set up a game with Port Vale in the next round. It looked like the tie would head to a replay but Kevin Davies popped up in the 4th minute of added time to send us through to the Third Round and hand us a game away to Sky Bet Championship side Derby County.

View attachment 367109

View attachment 367097

View attachment 367078

Another cup competition PNE have done well in but not as prestigious as the other two but we do have a chance of playing at Wembley. Our first two games in the competition against Bury and Crewe gave the rotated team no problems and it was Shrewsbury who gave us the most problems as they forced the tie into a penalty shootout. 'Local' rivals Carlisle awaited us in the Northern Semi-Final but proved no match in a 3-0 win to set up a Northern two-legged Final against Walsall.

View attachment 367109

Key Players

View attachment 367074 View attachment 367073 View attachment 367072

News

View attachment 367071

Striker Joe Garner signs a new deal until 2017 after Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday started to sniff around him in November. A great finisher on his day, he'll be leading the line for years to come.

View attachment 619802

Season One

Winter Transfer Update

View attachment 366987

Transfers

View attachment 366986

As you can see from the above screenshot, I brought in two players on loan until the end of the season to cover for the other midfielders whilst we have a heavy schedule during the closing stages of the campaign. Larnell Cole was brought in from Fulham and Eunan O'Kane was brought in from Bournemouth after both were placed on the loan list due to lack of first team appearances.

Larnell Cole

View attachment 366985

Eunan O'Kane

View attachment 366984

With the transfer window being open I decided to travel to Africa to try and bring some players into my Youth Team ahead of the Youth Intake in March. I found a large number of players but couldn't bring any in due to other clubs going in after me or the players failing their work permits.

Other Clubs

William Diawara

View attachment 366982

Mohammed Balogun

View attachment 366981

Frank Arko

View attachment 366980

Failed Work Permits

Palito

View attachment 366979

Ibrahim Fofana

View attachment 366978

View attachment 366987

View attachment 366977

View attachment 366976

Another month goes by without a stalemate which is good as I wanted the team to have a fast paced attacking style of football. Results have gone our way once again as we reach the FA Cup 5th Round by beating two Sky Bet Championship teams in the form of Derby and Bournemouth to set up a clash with Ipswich for a place in the FA Cup Quarter Final. Our Capital One Cup campaign came to an end against Stoke but we made a lot of money from our cup run which should do us good in the long run. We're also still in with a shout of promotion as well and are only 6 points from the top of the league.

View attachment 366968 View attachment 366967

View attachment 619955

Season One

Youth Intake

View attachment 366922

View attachment 366921

The moment I'd been waiting for - youth intake day. Arriving at the training ground I was full of optimism but that soon faded once all the players had been assessed which led to me going around the country to find other players to bring in. The top three players from PNE's youth intake are listed below:

View attachment 366919 View attachment 366918 View attachment 366917

A few calls later and I was down at St Georges Park in Burton to scout a number of players recommended to me by a former coach of mine, Arsene Wenger. Four of them were English lads that failed to get in at a professional club, one with Turkish roots, and the other was an Italian lad that had failed trials at Chievo Verona and Parma. Luckily all five players were on the same team so I was able to scout them with ease and after the game I approached the agent of each player to agree a package for them to join up with the PNE academy immediately.

View attachment 366915 View attachment 366914 View attachment 366913
View attachment 366912 View attachment 366911

Further to the St Georges Park trip, I sent out a couple of my scouts and backroom staff around the world to watch games of players that were brought to my attention by former colleagues of mine from my time coaching at De Toekomst. The following players will join up with the club at the start of the next transfer window on 9th June.

View attachment 366910 View attachment 366909 View attachment 366908

View attachment 366906 View attachment 366905 View attachment 366904

View attachment 366903 View attachment 366902 View attachment 366901

View attachment 366900

In addition to all of that I signed a new contract..

View attachment 366898

and Josh Brownhill was called up to the England U19s squad!

View attachment 366897

A few great looking regens amongst that bunch there. Dickens, Cakir, Saizar and the Italian centre back all look like they will be future first teamers!

Some amazing regens joining. How did you go about finding them mate? :)

A few great looking regens amongst that bunch there. Dickens, Cakir, Saizar and the Italian centre back all look like they will be future first teamers!

Very excited by Cakir especially, hoping for a future midfield two of him and Brownhil!

Great story keep it up mate.

Cheers mate, thanks for reading!

Some amazing regens joining. How did you go about finding them mate? :)

Took me around 5 hours over the past couple of days to go through the majority of the regens coming through at 'non big' clubs as well as scouring the free transfer market with certain attributes picked.

View attachment 620277

Season One

End of Season Update

View attachment 366768

Player of the Year

Kevin Davies

View attachment 366767

Young Player of the Year

Josh Brownhill

View attachment 366766

View attachment 366768

View attachment 620283

Winners

View attachment 366765

View attachment 366768

View attachment 366763

View attachment 366764

Key Game

PNE 4-0 Manchester City

View attachment 366761

View attachment 366768

View attachment 620296

View attachment 366760

Key Game

Cardiff 2-3 PNE AET

View attachment 366759

View attachment 366768

View attachment 366754

View attachment 366758

Key Game

PNE 1-1 Brenford (Brentford win on penalties)

View attachment 366757

View attachment 366768

So that's the first season complete, what do people think of the updates? Are they good or should they be in more detail.

All feedback welcome!​

View attachment 621058

Season Two

Pre-Season Press Conference

View attachment 366424

View attachment 621062

Q: So Michael you sit here as manager of a Championship club, how does that feel?

A: It feels great. I always thought that Preston should be in the Championship with the facilities they have and they were almost a sleeping giant in League One. One of my aims was to get the club in the Championship and that's now complete so we can now focus on reaching the Premier League in the next few seasons. Our cup campaigns last season have helped the club achieve a good reputation in English football so I'm hoping that will be able to attract a higher quality of player this year.

Q: Are you satisfied with how your squad is looking at the moment?

A: At the moment I think the squad is okay but is a bit weak in depth after a number of players left the club once their contract expired. However most of the back up players from last season can fill the spaces whilst the younger players can come into the team every so often to fast track their potential by exposing them to first team action.

Q: Which positions will you be looking to reinforce?

A: With Declan Rudd, Paul Gallagher and Craig Davies returning to their parent clubs I'll be looking to replace them each with a high quality player. We tried to get Declan to sign a permanent deal with the club after being released by Norwich but he said that he didn't want to play for a Championship team so we will have to explore other options for a number 1 this season. There are a number of strikers on my radar to replace Gallagher and Davies but whether we can agree a deal is another thing. We've also agreed a deal with Manchester United for them to become our parent club to send young players on loan to us so I'm hopeful of getting the next big thing sent to Deepdale in the near future.

View attachment 366428

Q: There's rumours going round the local press circuit that Josh Brownhill is demanding a high wage incrase after his performances last season, is this true?

Unfortunately it is. Josh was called upto the England U19s squad for the U19 European Championships and asked for a new contract to reward him. He was on £700 per week in my first year at the club and demanded a £7,000 a week wage to sign a new contract with the club. I spoke with the board and we agreed that he can become a very good asset to the club so agreed to paying him the money.

View attachment 366427

Q: When you came to PNE last season you said you wanted to turn it into the English De Toekomst, how is that plan going?

A: It's going alright at the moment. We've increased our level of junior coaching and are awaiting to have a decent positive bank balance before upgrading our youth facilities and youth recruitment network after the poor youth intake last season. I've brought a number of young players into the club from abroad to improve the standard of the youth team and I'm pleased with how they are settling in. It looks like one of my aims will be completed this season by bringing two more players from the youth team into the first team as two of the English signings have looked impressive since returning from their post-season break.

Q: A high number of young players have already agreed to join, can they develop into stars of the future?

A: Absolutely, without a doubt. A number of the Spanish players are exciting talents and it's a shame that some of the African players weren't able to join the club. With the right training and match experience each of the players brought into the academy will make it in the Premier League, whether it's with PNE is a different matter. Also a number of the players on my shortlist have been snapped up by some of the bigger clubs in the world such as Real Madrid and Newcastle so it shows that I'm going in the right direction for player recruitment.

Q: Which of the prospects are you most excited by?

A: Although all of the prospects excite me, there are five that stick out for me as potential world class players. They are Pedro Maria Saizar, Paul Smith, Jason Dickens, Cem Garip Cakir and Marco Palmitessa. All five of them possess major potential and I'll be looking to include them in matchday squads in the upcoming season. Dickens and Cakir have already been involved with the first team towards the back end of the season and have remained in the first team and not returned to the academy so I'm pleased about that.

Q: Finally, what are your aims for the 2014/15 season?

A: It's going to be a tough season with the big turnaround in the past 12 months so at this moment in time I would take the place above the relegation zone and anything else would be a bonus. Realistically I believe we can consolidate this season before moving up the league in the next couple of seasons.​

View attachment 621067

Season Two

Summer Transfer Window Update

View attachment 366422

Transfers

View attachment 366421

Nine players were brought into the club to add to the young players brought into the club who had already agreed a deal with PNE. The first was Robin Vieille who joined from Jura-Sad Football for a small fee and will join up with the academy for the upcoming season. Two players joined on loan within two days of each other as Tom Rogic (Celtic) and Adil Nabi (WBA) moved to Deepdale on season long loans and will act as rotation players to increase the ability of the squad. With Craig Davies not returning to the club, Clayton Donaldson joined on a free transfer after leaving Brentford after failing to agree a new contract, I'm hoping he'll be able to lead the line this season and finish as the club's top goalscorer. With many young players being released from their clubs during the off-season, I snapped up two prospects from the Manchester clubs with Jack Byrne and Charlie Albinson joined on deals that will see them represent the U21s this season. Finally, we parted with £650,000 to bring in two key players from Partick Thistle and Middlesbrough with Scott Fox and Jacob Butterfield signing deals until 2017. Fox will replace Declan Rudd, who joined Dundee United, and Butterfield will become our main centre midfielder alongside Josh Brownhill. On transfer deadline day we brought in Miguel Llera to act as a tutor to our young centre backs.

Robin Vieille

View attachment 366418

Tom Rogic

View attachment 366417

Adil Nabi

View attachment 366416

Clayton Donaldson

View attachment 366415

Jack Byrne

View attachment 366414

Charlie Albinson

View attachment 366413

Scott Fox

View attachment 366412

Jacob Butterfield

View attachment 366411

Miguel Llera

View attachment 366410

View attachment 366422

View attachment 366409

View attachment 366408

Not the best of starts compared to last season as we only won two games in the opening period of the season. The two wins came against Morecambe in the Capital One Cup and was followed up by a win at Deepdale against Leeds United. However our Capital One Cup run came to an end before the end of the month as last year's opponents Hull knocked us out after beating us 3-0. The month was wrapped up with a defeat against Blackburn Rovers as Jordan Rhodes, who I'm surprised is still there, scored another goal to take him to 6 league goals for the season.

View attachment 366422

Key Player

View attachment 366407

Josh has been excellent since the start of the season and has carried on his form from the previous campaign. Although not a frequent goalscorer, Josh has been a key part in our attacking force linking the defence to the forwards and has been a transfer target of Premier League champions Tottenham in recent weeks.

View attachment 366404

View attachment 621859

Season Two

Mid-Season Update

View attachment 366044

View attachment 366042

View attachment 366035

View attachment 366034

As you can see from the above screenshots, our form has changed a bit since the last update and that is mainly due to a tactic change. I'm now deploying the Locksmith MrH Tweak due to the strength of it and it all changed after losing 6-1 against Nottingham Forest. It had a massive impact straight away as we hammered Doncaster Rovers 7-2 and then went on a 12 match unbeaten run and at the moment we currently lie in 6th place, just in the play-offs.

View attachment 621915

View attachment 366044

View attachment 366022

View attachment 366020

As we're now in the Championship we don't enter the FA Cup until the 3rd Round which kicks off in a couple of days. We've been drawn against Sky Bet League One side Portsmouth, who have previous in the FA Cup having won it in 2008, and I'll be looking to utilise this game as an opportunity for my younger players to impress me.

View attachment 366044

View attachment 621929

As you saw in the previous update, our Capital One Cup campaign ended in August as Hull beat us 3-0 in the Second Round of the competition.

View attachment 366044

Key Players

View attachment 366007 View attachment 366006 View attachment 366005

View attachment 366044

News

View attachment 366004
View attachment 366003

Bailey Wright has been impressive this season and was rewarded with his international debut before being called up to the Australia squad for the Asian Nations Cup in January.

View attachment 366001
View attachment 365999

We've added two players to the squad since August, both on free transfers. The first is Massimo Ambrosini, the ex-AC Milan midfielder, and will be a key player for us as well as tutoring some of our younger players in the squad. The second is Irish midfielder Richie Towell who joins us after his Dundalk contract expired. I'm hoping that we'll be able to make a big profit on him in the next two seasons to make way for some funds to bring in younger players to develop.

View attachment 366000

However Towell didn't have the best of starts to his PNE career as he was given a straight red in the defeat against Derby County. To make it worse they scored from the free kick he gave away..

View attachment 623170

Season Two

Winter Transfer Window Update

View attachment 365456

Transfers

View attachment 365455

Not a very busy transfer window for PNE as I didn't have much money to work with having spent most of it during the summer transfer window. We utilised our partnership with Manchester United to bring in Giorgos Christopoulos on loan until the end of the season and he will be a great addition to the side. He was one of my transfer targets for the upcoming summer window so to get him for pretty much free is a great acquisition. No permanent transfers out of the club but Will Hayhurst and Chris Humphrey left the club on loan deals to Plymouth and Notts County respectively.

Giorgos Christopoulos

View attachment 365454

Failed Transfer Targets

View attachment 365453

View attachment 365452

Incoming Transfer Bids

View attachment 365450
View attachment 365449

As you can see from the above screenshots, two of my younger players were subjects of bids from Premier League clubs as Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City tried to poach Jason Dickens and Marco Palmitessa. All of the bids were rejected as I believe they will be key players for us in years to come and if they're attracting that amount of money at 16 and 17 then they'll be worth a lot more by the time they're 21.

View attachment 365456

View attachment 365448

View attachment 365447

Not the best set of results for PNE in January but I am pleased that we have progressed in the FA Cup after beating both Portsmouth and Crawley in the past month. One win in the Sky Bet Championship has seen us slip to 11th in the league but it is very tight up at the top and we are only five points off the play-offs.

View attachment 365456

And Finally..

View attachment 365446

Joleon Lescott was appointed Charlton manager!​