Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Thank god for this thread just about start a thread about possession football I was going to use this video below as a guide and ask members on this site to help but now I'll use this thread great work
I stuggle with the player instructions I notice that most "Barca" tactics every players instuction has been tweaked is their any tips you give on player instuctions

cheers mate :)

just remember, possession tactics do not and are not just Barca tactics :) everyone who tries to emulate Barca use Barca and try and replicate their formations and roles etc with some really strange looking formations and really don't get the exact type of football they play and the amount of chances they create each game, so unless you really want to create a Barca tactic lets call it possession :) cause at the end of the day, that is what you are after, possession!

for possession tactics you have to tweak each players roles, you cannot leave them default as for eg: a deep lying playmaker has his passing set to quite direct and high freedom etc, you cannot have this setting in possession tactics.

my rule of thumb is pass and move as mentioned in the hints & tips on the first page!

so run from deep ofen and through balls sometimes with everything left as never is a good start, normal freedom and normal attacking are also a good idea, moving into channels for wide players and your Amc (if you choose to use that formation) are a good idea ;)

hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask anything else :)

heey raikaan does u knw who should be the playmaker and target man in this new formation ?
hey bud :) what new formation? the new short and sweet tactic? if so, the amc or no one in fact, works just as well without it :)

anyone else starting a possession tactic? any updates on progress?

cheers mate :)

just remember, possession tactics do not and are not just Barca tactics :) everyone who tries to emulate Barca use Barca and try and replicate their formations and roles etc with some really strange looking formations and really don't get the exact type of football they play and the amount of chances they create each game, so unless you really want to create a Barca tactic lets call it possession :)

The thing is the ME doesnt allow such fluid moveness and passness what would create the barca style. U also spoke about their formations, roles. Me is of the opinion that Barca doesnt have a certain formation; It changes whole the time, they swap positions, roam a lot so there aint no specific formation. If U watch some of the Barca games U can see the ''formation''; Sometimes they are in 4-2-4, sometimes 4-3-3, sometimes 4-5-1, sometimes 3-4-3, Or mebbey even 3-1-6, with the one midfielder being Xavi, rest are in more attacking positions. Neither they have a ''certainty'' of the roles; they all play how the situation allows em. ME aint good enough for this, which is a big shame and why everybody then ''dont get the exact type of football they play'' :p

And Run from deep often, me thinks it shud be rather Sometimes for most of the team as if its often, they will run too often away and then there is no-one who to pass since everybody runs away and is marked by opposition.

you can edit the players instructions though to get him where you want him, for eg: the settings I use for the fullbacks has them sit on the halfway line most of the game :) I think the ME is perfectly capable of playing like Barca or even a possession game to perfection!

having players swap position in personal instructions is also a way to ensure they carry on moving and ending up in different positions!

that is why it is a discussion thread, making forward runs will take defenders with the player, when players check their runs it has opened up space for the pass as the defenders will mark goal side! it forces defenders to track the players making the runs as well as finidng space for the pass

anyone else starting a possession tactic? any updates on progress?

Well this is my formation/team instructions gone with my trusty 4-5-1/4-3-3

View attachment 206685

My first 3 friendlies using this formation went

Vs Fleetwood Town (1:2 win)
Possession 66%
CCC's 5

Vs FC Nordsjælland (1:3 win)
Possession 76%
CCC's 3

Vs Mons (0:3 win)
Possession 63%
CCC's 3

Possession is spot hitting that 60% mark CCC's are simply appalling 3 small teams 5 or less CCC's not good.
The next 3 games I was trying different formation which I won but not didnt achieve 60% so they were scrapped now I have 2 games left then Man Utd in the community shield so a working possession tactic by then would be nice.

you can edit the players instructions though to get him where you want him, for eg: the settings I use for the fullbacks has them sit on the halfway line most of the game :) I think the ME is perfectly capable of playing like Barca or even a possession game to perfection!

having players swap position in personal instructions is also a way to ensure they carry on moving and ending up in different positions!

that is why it is a discussion thread, making forward runs will take defenders with the player, when players check their runs it has opened up space for the pass as the defenders will mark goal side! it forces defenders to track the players making the runs as well as finidng space for the pass

No matter how U edit the PI, U cant get em as fluid as barca is :) For ''normal'' possession tactics, yes it is possible but U cant accomplish the style Barca employs. Yeap U can make Fullbacks sit on halfway line, but U can make it so that when in attack the Left fullback transforms into Left CB and Dani Alves is an extra wide winger in the attack. Swap positions work, but U can only select 2 players which swap. Everybody in Barca's team swap positions with everybody, it builds on their ability to read the game, each movements. If in this game e.g. Pique decides to run with the ball forward (Which he has done sometimes), No-one in the game takes his place unlike in reality someone always takes his spot. Also Barca's pressing is unique, which this ME doesnt understand; Whole Pitch pressing makes the Opposition pass around the ball, getting it thru the pressing somehow and eventually leading to goal when players are caught out of position. In real life they dont have such passing lines available for most of the time, forcing em to either concede a throw-in or kick it away or something.

Making forward runs will indeed make the defenders to follow em, but if U set Often to Midfield players, they move usually too far and beyond opposition, causing panic to the player holding the ball when he has no passing options available except passing to defenders. Game engine doesnt know how to create the triangles, making it hard to do proper Barca passing.

Don, it takes quite a while for the tactic to become effective! give it time :)

I disagree once again on triangles! it does and you can!

View attachment 206710View attachment 206711

I know its not 100% possible to replicate Barca, but this is not about BARCA! it is about possession! I have said it numerous times!

Lol me knows it aint about BARCA, but U can say Barca is the ''ideal'' Possession game.
And U may disagree about triangles but its fecking true, I cant say how many times when I have used Often on midfielders, the players panic cos they dont have passing lanes available to front e.g. Abidal holds the ball near halfway line, Xavi & Iniesta starts running forward, making the space U said but then there is no-one who goes into the space as Villa - Messi - Sanchez trio is running somewhere up marked, Xavi & Iniesta being behind 3 players, And Mascherano/Busquets stays back. Opposition player closes down Abidal and he cant find any passing lanes except to backwards and then he does it. The game stalls and eventually we lose the ball, causing a counter-attack and mebbey even a goal. This is what Often running on midfielders cause. :)

I want to ask some questions to you.

1)4-3-1-2 is good enough for possession football?
2)In midfield(CM),for defensive player do you prefere which role?
3)%88 possession ok ıt's possible but with 16 shots I think ıt's impossible,How did you do that?
4)Your think, Complete Forward-Attack or Deep-Lying Forward-Attack and Deep-Lying Forward-Support can work?

Thanks, Waiting for reply...

Last edited:
yo mate i have tried to emulate your success by following your advice ( even started a new save as ajax ) so far the results have been good. plenty of possession hoping to improve number of passes tho as most i have achieved is 497. my query is how do i get the passes further up the field? also how do i get more CCCs. i know these aren't that important as long as your winning but its something that i prefer. i created a tactic that enabled my forward to score 60+ goals. i dont even know if its possible with a possession based tactic?

Just read the advice in the OP and put it into practice for my first pre season friendly and managed to achieve 80% possession. I'm usually rubbish at possession tactics so thanks a bunch for making this thread.

One of my centre midfielders completed all 76 of his attempted passes during the 60 minutes he was on the pitch for.

Nevertheless, me started to work on a Real Madrid tactic, near of the style they current employ IRL, mostly my main focus points have been;

- Xabi Alonso's Movement & Passing (Stays deep and controls the game from there, gets most of the passes)
- Scoreline (IRL they have been in quite good form)
- Possession near 60% (If U watch them, they nowadays play more possession based football)

So far getting this kind of result:

View attachment 206746 View attachment 206747 View attachment 206748 View attachment 206751

Xabi's/Nuri's position gets most of the passes as I wanted, Ronaldo has made 6 goals & 4 assist in 5 games, Higuain 4 games 4 goals and 1 assist etc, and possession figures lookin good. Only thing now is that the game tends now to go too down, CB's getting more than 30 - 40 passes which me doesnt like, me wants to play more upfield. Also me wud like to Ronaldo get inside the box more often with the ball, but if I allow him more creative freedom he will start doing it regularly, which me doesnt like :) Suggestions?

I love keeping possession, but the problem is it doesn't really get you anywhere. So, I prefer counter attacking, and just simple attacking, tactics (like Might and Magic.) I think the issue with keeping possession, is that most of the possession is simply too focused on one particular area. It could be either the wings, or the defensive area.It would be much more useful if those massive blobs of yellow were right in front, or maybe even in (Barcelona style) the opponents penalty area. This should create more clear chances. I mostly play possession football now when i'm trying to defend, or against a much better team (When you're playing as Arsenal, the later never happens ;.) I think the reason I enjoy possession football the most is because I love seeing the bottom bar filling up in your favour, and I prefer seeing my team boss the ball, instead of the other team.

Nevertheless, me started to work on a Real Madrid tactic, near of the style they current employ IRL, mostly my main focus points have been;

- Xabi Alonso's Movement & Passing (Stays deep and controls the game from there, gets most of the passes)
- Scoreline (IRL they have been in quite good form)
- Possession near 60% (If U watch them, they nowadays play more possession based football)

So far getting this kind of result:

View attachment 206746 View attachment 206747 View attachment 206748 View attachment 206751

Xabi's/Nuri's position gets most of the passes as I wanted, Ronaldo has made 6 goals & 4 assist in 5 games, Higuain 4 games 4 goals and 1 assist etc, and possession figures lookin good. Only thing now is that the game tends now to go too down, CB's getting more than 30 - 40 passes which me doesnt like, me wants to play more upfield. Also me wud like to Ronaldo get inside the box more often with the ball, but if I allow him more creative freedom he will start doing it regularly, which me doesnt like :) Suggestions?

To solve Ronaldo issue you can try using shouts, telling team to bri the ball into the box. On personal options i would say, if uyou haven't done yet, pass through defence-sometimes and adv movements-sometimes with creative freedom set on normal but just the step near to much freedom.

Have you set Xabi as main playmaker and targetman wit pass on feet? this should keep the ball in the midfield dragging it from defence. From here he will pass to the 3 forwards, this in theory as i'm still developing my own tactic and i cand give you backup

Sorry for my bad english :(

Could a 4-2-3-1 deep or 4-2-3-1 Asymmetric work or does formations not really matter as long as the style is correct

To solve Ronaldo issue you can try using shouts, telling team to bri the ball into the box. On personal options i would say, if uyou haven't done yet, pass through defence-sometimes and adv movements-sometimes with creative freedom set on normal but just the step near to much freedom.

Have you set Xabi as main playmaker and targetman wit pass on feet? this should keep the ball in the midfield dragging it from defence. From here he will pass to the 3 forwards, this in theory as i'm still developing my own tactic and i cand give you backup

Sorry for my bad english :(

Me didnt quite catch what U mean by pass through defense sometimes and adv movements sometimes. :p

And Xabi is the playmaker and I know that if me sets him as Target man, he will be played more of the ball, but that might have a negative effect on some situations. Me thinks its a matter of Tempo, which has been varying from Slow to Quick as ive tweaked a lot etc..

Work in progress I'd say :p

The formation doesn't matter so much, altough 3 midfielders would be good, so that you have always passing option in the middle. Philosophy (and in this case I don't mean the one that you set in the team instructions) is more important.

If I would try to make the best possible tactic, I would use a formation that has the best defending, whether you press hard or park the bus, because you can make yout team succesful in attacking with many different formations, with 1 striker and inside forwards, 2 strikers etc. But there is very little tools to tweak your defendind, that's why you should use formation as a defensive tool rather than an attacking one.