Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

I saw you wrote that pitch size has an important duty in keeping possession.What if the pitch is big (like Camp Nou).Heard that its the biggest allowed.Wouldnt that help on creating spaces or having larger spaces and other things?

Hey Raikan,

i'm trying to create my own possession tactic but i have a problem. My defence keeps leaking goals (in stupid ways). the most recurring error is the forward that gets into the space the 2 CB and goeas for the net. Is there something wrong in CB instructions? at the moment they play with standard settings, zonal marking with tight marking. Or is it a problem of my players?

I saw you wrote that pitch size has an important duty in keeping possession.What if the pitch is big (like Camp Nou).Heard that its the biggest allowed.Wouldnt that help on creating spaces or having larger spaces and other things?

the bigger the better to a degree, more space for players to move into and exploit ;)

Hey Raikan,

i'm trying to create my own possession tactic but i have a problem. My defence keeps leaking goals (in stupid ways). the most recurring error is the forward that gets into the space the 2 CB and goeas for the net. Is there something wrong in CB instructions? at the moment they play with standard settings, zonal marking with tight marking. Or is it a problem of my players?

dont play Cb's as tight marking as they will be forced to close down the player in possession and can be caught out, other factors will influence it as well but try that, have them set to covering so they can sweep up

Any good team to try making out possession tactics with?? I don't want a difficult challenge as i dont consider myself to be a very good tactician but then it shouldn't be very easy as well.

Hello, Cool thread.
Im in the process of creating a possesion based style w/ Manchester united. My question is what should my role for rooney be? I have him retrained so he is playing in the AMC spot, and have him set as advanced playmaker, and he did fairly well w/47 passes in total. But i have heard his best role is trequista, would this be good, or counter my possesion based role.

Also i signed Luka Modric, but I'am struggling to mold him into that playmaker that i'am hoping for, he is set up as advanced playmaker support, maybe should i go deep lying playmaker? And last game only 29 passes. Any advice?

Thank you, Joey

Hi

I've created a possession based tactic which was working pretty well at first with Arsenal. I used the tactics creator to set these roles:

Gk - Sweeper Keeper - Szcezsny
Dr, Dl - Sagna, Balzaretti - Full back support
Dc - Vermaelen, Hummels/ Koscielny - Centre backs defend
Mcl - Song - Ball winning mid - Defend
Mcr - Arteta/Wilshere/Ramsey - Advanced Playmaker - Support
Amr - Gervinho - Winger - Attack
Aml - Walcott/ Hamsik - Inside forward - Attack
Amc - Affelay/ Gaitan - Attacking mid - Attack
St - Van Persie - Trequartista

I haven't changed anything except reducing long shots and it was working fine for the first season. My problem now is that the defence gets closed down quickly and they end up passing it between themselves for a while then booting up field. The main problem is if any of my full backs get the ball in space, they end up waiting until they are closed down and then they pass infield instead of passing down the wings. Another problem thats come about is the opposition midfield tend to have higher pass completion rates than mine when they play a 4-4-2 because my players don't close them down quickly. Finally, I'm not creating as many CCCs as I was previously and all this means I've done worse than last season (I'm looking at a fourth placed finish). What can I do to improve this? I recently changed from zonal to man marking which has helped my tactic slightly. my team instructions are:

Fluid
Control
Shorter passing
More expressive CF
More pressing
Default tackling
Man marking
More roaming

I'm reluctant to change a lot from the tactics creator because this would mean touchline shouts don't work.

Hello, Cool thread.
Im in the process of creating a possesion based style w/ Manchester united. My question is what should my role for rooney be? I have him retrained so he is playing in the AMC spot, and have him set as advanced playmaker, and he did fairly well w/47 passes in total. But i have heard his best role is trequista, would this be good, or counter my possesion based role.

Also i signed Luka Modric, but I'am struggling to mold him into that playmaker that i'am hoping for, he is set up as advanced playmaker support, maybe should i go deep lying playmaker? And last game only 29 passes. Any advice?

Thank you, Joey

I still think at Amc he is best as attacking mid - support but change it to treq as well, see how it goes :)

play him as cm - attack (just remember, it all boils down to the instructions you have given the players)

Any good team to try making out possession tactics with?? I don't want a difficult challenge as i dont consider myself to be a very good tactician but then it shouldn't be very easy as well.

hey bud,

Stade Rennais are good but not too easy, CSKA Moscow are also very good!

I'm reluctant to change a lot from the tactics creator because this would mean touchline shouts don't work.

hey bud,

its hard to say really, if you are using all the defualt settings from the roles then that is most likely your problem, possession is not just about reducing long shots :) you have to edit each of their instructions..

for the AP etc, have you edited the creative freedom? I would only really have the Amc position to have normal/much freedom! no one else otherwise they will ignore team instructions..

with man marking, use tight marking

set cf to default or even discliplined, increase the tempo a bit, just remember, playing short quick passess can create more possession!

ensure your fb's do not have hold up ball! set them to play through balls often, make your wingers move into channels to allow space for the pass from your fullbacks :)

how high is your defensive line?

Thanks for replying.

My defensive line is set to push up pretty high, but i still find that anyone dropping off has a lot of space and my tempo is pretty high, just one notch below quick - thats the level the creator has set.

I did use to have my wingers moving into channels, but i found that narrowed the pitch up a lot, and meant my trequartista didn't have much space to operate in and his performances dropped, especially if playing a narrow team. and no one on my team has hold up ball set, i unticked it for the bwm because he kept getting caught in possession.

the advanced playmaker was only a recent change, because i used to have a deep lying playmaker so he would collect the ball from the defenders, turn and play it to someone more advanced but even this didn't work! everytime he got the ball he just passed it back to the keeper or a fullback who'd then hoof it up the pitch.

my second seasons finished now and i came fourth so i'll probably try and make changes for the next season. van persie's getting into his thirties so im looking at getting either jovetic or cavani and reduce the creative freedom to default.

one thing i noticed in my last few games was when playing against a three man midfield, one of my midfielders would close down the defence leaving an opposition midfielder free for a pass. is that because im playing a trequartista and by nature he doesn't close down? and would this stop if i changed to default pressing?

yeah exactly that mate, treq's are like extremely clever lazy people! they do what needs to be done when they are expected but during the time they dont, they do nothing...

it sounds like you need to actually slow the game down, give hold up ball back to the bwm and your two fullbacks, give your other cm roaming and moves into channels with run from deep set to sometimes, treq should be set to sometimes as well to encourage forward passess and movement!

you dont want the adv playmaker (Ramsey) etc pushing up to far and actually taking up the space the amc should be playing in! if I play with an amc (which I do in my short and sweet tactic) I have both of my cm's set to the same (exactly) instructions, which is everything else never besides through balls set to sometimes :)

this helps keep the shape and allows the amc to get involved properly and have most of the final 3rd to himself to wreak havoc...

Cheers! I'll try giving hold up ball back but i can't see it being much of a success lol! they struggle enough when they're not holding it up. i'll try giving ramsey a cm support role but i feel that it might be wasting his talents a bit. my amc isn't really supposed to be a creator, i leave that to van persie, i've tried to create a false nine and false ten partnership where vp drops deep and affelay, walcott and gervinho exploit that space.

if i get cavani he'll be a complete forward attack and i'll play the amc as a playmaker, and then hopefully cavani will help with the closing down cos he has a high work rate and if the opposition push up he'll do them for pace. if they drop deep the amc will have a ton of space to operate in.

i just noticed that my team surprisingly have very low decision stats. walcott and rvp are both 10 and the majority of my team are 13 and under. i'm guessing this isn't good for the type of football i want to play lol!

trying this out with my psg under 19s, just got a 72% :eek:

Hi, I'm currently playing as Manchester United (you might remember i asked you some questions before). It's all going fine, except for the use of my playmaker. Hamsik is a quality football player, as is laybad, and yet when i play them in my three man midfield as advanced playmakers they get about 15-25 passes a game....hardly a playmaker,a nd usually the least amount of passes in my team. I haven't changed any of the player instructions at all really....any idea? Would be much appreicated if you could help me get them more passes :)