Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Me didnt quite catch what U mean by pass through defense sometimes and adv movements sometimes. :p

Pass through defence = through balls and adv movements = run from deep. I think he uses another language in the game.

Progress so far against first big team, 1-0 win and 60% poeesession against Man Utd at Old trafford can't be bad so far however the CCC's Still low

View attachment 206989

View attachment 206990

View attachment 206991

Attacking Unit Player Instructions (RB, MCL, AML, AMR, STC) all have 13 clicks on mentality & freedom, passing 4 clicks, closing down 13 clicks
Defence Unit Player Instructions (DCR, DCL. LB, DMC, MCR) all have 10 clicks on mentality & 4 clicks on freedom, closing down same as above.

Any advice would be helpful because if I can get this right this will be my general style from now on regardless of who I'm managing

What about creative freedom on the players instructions how should that be set up?

read the op mate :) too much and it will have a negative effect on the tactic, too little and your team will pass back and get caught in possession :) which positions are you referring to though? of course different positions require different freedom :)

I want to ask some questions to you.

1)4-3-1-2 is good enough for possession football?
2)In midfield(CM),for defensive player do you prefere which role?
3)%88 possession ok ıt's possible but with 16 shots I think ıt's impossible,How did you do that?
4)Your think, Complete Forward-Attack or Deep-Lying Forward-Attack and Deep-Lying Forward-Support can work?

Thanks, Waiting for reply...

1) yes it can work, however, offering width will increase possession
2) well it depends on his stats, either cm - support/defend or ball winner (who is it you are refferring too)
3) dont quite get what you mean mate :) I played the game using my tactic, thats how it happened :) lol
4) yes, deep lying most definately, is this for the 4-3-1-2 you want to set up? perfect combination mate :)

let me know how it comes along

yo mate i have tried to emulate your success by following your advice ( even started a new save as ajax ) so far the results have been good. plenty of possession hoping to improve number of passes tho as most i have achieved is 497. my query is how do i get the passes further up the field? also how do i get more CCCs. i know these aren't that important as long as your winning but its something that i prefer. i created a tactic that enabled my forward to score 60+ goals. i dont even know if its possible with a possession based tactic?

hey bud,

it takes a while, trust me, give it time and it will happen, possession tactics take a long time! players stats and ppm's have a lot to do with possession tactics, especially ppm's, plays one two's, dictates tempo, short simple passes/killer balls, comes deep to get ball are all good to have and increase passing and possession

ccc's will come later, the more your team play the better it becomes, ask Dave :)

Just read the advice in the OP and put it into practice for my first pre season friendly and managed to achieve 80% possession. I'm usually rubbish at possession tactics so thanks a bunch for making this thread.

One of my centre midfielders completed all 76 of his attempted passes during the 60 minutes he was on the pitch for.

thats brilliant mate, well done!

how is it coming along?

I love keeping possession, but the problem is it doesn't really get you anywhere. So, I prefer counter attacking, and just simple attacking, tactics (like Might and Magic.) I think the issue with keeping possession, is that most of the possession is simply too focused on one particular area. It could be either the wings, or the defensive area.It would be much more useful if those massive blobs of yellow were right in front, or maybe even in (Barcelona style) the opponents penalty area. This should create more clear chances. I mostly play possession football now when i'm trying to defend, or against a much better team (When you're playing as Arsenal, the later never happens ;.) I think the reason I enjoy possession football the most is because I love seeing the bottom bar filling up in your favour, and I prefer seeing my team boss the ball, instead of the other team.

yes it does :) with time/patience and correct tweaking it does :)

I get what you mean, however, it is getting there, if you were to see Barca's blobs of yellow it would look quite similar to the ones here mate :) Dani Alves gets involved a lot and so do Pedro/Villa out wide :)

I love it too :) hahahaha

Could a 4-2-3-1 deep or 4-2-3-1 Asymmetric work or does formations not really matter as long as the style is correct

they go hand in hand to a certain degree, 4-2-3-1 like City line up in the AI? the Amc's? as mentioned earlier, width helps with possession, it allows for more options and when you use the whole pitch, more passess occur which go hand in hand with possession :)

but yes, it can work

Progress so far against first big team, 1-0 win and 60% poeesession against Man Utd at Old trafford can't be bad so far however the CCC's Still low

Attacking Unit Player Instructions (RB, MCL, AML, AMR, STC) all have 13 clicks on mentality & freedom, passing 4 clicks, closing down 13 clicks
Defence Unit Player Instructions (DCR, DCL. LB, DMC, MCR) all have 10 clicks on mentality & 4 clicks on freedom, closing down same as above.

Any advice would be helpful because if I can get this right this will be my general style from now on regardless of who I'm managing

well done, good possession away from home, especially vs United! good win too! it will work better at home I can assure you of that!

if you post a SS of your team instructions I could help you more :) other than that it looks a good start, well done!

looks good, some really strange players in positions though but it will work well :)

maybe put Cech as keeper - defend, he is not that quick!what is his distribution? defender collect?

Lamps can be b2b or even Cm - attack/support is better :) otherwise looks good!

have you set up the PI's for each player or have you left them all defualt?

looks good, some really strange players in positions though but it will work well :)

maybe put Cech as keeper - defend, he is not that quick!what is his distribution? defender collect?

Lamps can be b2b or even Cm - attack/support is better :) otherwise looks good!

have you set up the PI's for each player or have you left them all defualt?

Keep distribution is defender collect to my BPD im using midfielders as a BPD because of their better passing and compose nothing then see CB's punt the ball upfield when their is no need to.

Thought of that with Lampard but I have Rodwell which he adjust to the way I play he will be first choice.

I have I have broke the team down to ATT unit and DEF unit, The Def Unit (DCR, DCL. LB, DMC, MCR) which all have low mentality, passing and creative freedom.

DCL- has everything Set to Rare

LB- Has runs from deep - often or sometimes depending situation
Run with ball, long shots and crossing rarley
Through balls - sometimes

DMC- (Anchorman) everything set to rare (Defensive Mid) everything set to rare apart from through balls set to sometimes

MCR- everything set to rare apart from runs from deep and through balls set to sometimes

The attack unit (RB, MCL, AML, AMR, STC) all have higher level of mentality and freedom passing set to 4 clicks

RB- Runs from deep -Often, Run with ball & Through Balls - Sometimes, Long shots & Crossing Rarely

MCL- Runs from deep -Often, Through Balls - Sometimes, Run with ball, Long shots & Crossing Rarely

AML & AMR - Runs from deep -Often, Run with ball & Through Balls - Sometimes, Long shots & Crossing Rarely

STC - Runs from deep & Through Balls -Often, Run with ball - Sometimes, Long shots & Crossing Rarely

Me still disagrees with Run from deep often, but read the OP again and did sum tweakings and got again sum nice result, but feeling results R better than last ones;

View attachment 207135 View attachment 207136

Also won Rayo 5 - 0 with Ronaldo making 4 goals, but I tweaked da system a bit to that Olympiakos game. Nevertheless, me has only conceded 2 goals using this tactic (tho been tweaking it, but same foundations). Me uses purely Run from deep sometimes, except WB's and Higuain role upfront have Often and Sahin is rarely. Me was unfortunate to score more in that Olympiakos game, Costanzo (Olympiakos Gk) was Man of the match with 9.20 rating, he was just good but as I had 8 CCC's, it shows me had sum nice chances :D

(Me also needs a 2nd Box to box midfielder like Khedira, me sold Diarra and dont have backup if Khedira is tired, suggestions?)

Last edited:
I never meant that every player must run from deep often, read the OP!

nice creation of CCC's, nice possession (not many passess though) but good possession!

I never meant that every player must run from deep often, read the OP!

nice creation of CCC's, nice possession (not many passess though) but good possession!

U said mids/attackers when it comes to run from deep :p
And as me said, me aint looking a huge pass amounts, rather the style Real Madrid employs currently.

(And hows the b2b player?)

If you read this, don't come back onto this thread again, Raikan is a man *****! :$