Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

I use these type of tactics in League 2 with Crewe Alexandra. My base formation is 4-2-3-1. Against stronger teams, or when I want to defend I play 4-4-1-1. When I really want to attack I go 4-3-3. I do not like the use of a defensive midfielder. I concede a small amount of goals. Only 27 in a season of 46 matches. I score less than I would like, 43. I have a lot of 0-0 draws, which cost me automatic promotion place. However, this is the most enjoyable play style for me, and I am trying hard to solve the goal scoring problems without causing my tactics to leak in other places. I do not want to have to play 2 up front.

This thread is very informative and I appreciate it, thanks!

is players mentality linked to passing? ive been playing fm for years but gettin my players to have 100+ has been a nightmare, i caan get the odd game where my dm or fb will get over 100+, but can never recreate it in next game.

i guess that havin ur players play close to eachother as a unit is important so doesnt that mean that every players mentality shld be the same?

havin ur striker be att and mid's normal/def and centre backs def surely mean that they will be gaps between def-mid and mid-att.

ive trained my players to have the required ppm's and selected the right instructions to play possession game whilst creating chances, but just cant pull off passin game

also i cant get my forward to score more than 10-15 goals a season and always poor match ratings, any tips on how to improve this in a possession tactic?

i use koflok's goals galore tactic, but on his posts it didnt mention shouts, so im wondering what shouts would work best with it

i use koflok's goals galore tactic, but on his posts it didnt mention shouts, so im wondering what shouts would work best with it

dont know mate, ask him on his thread, this is for possession tactic discussions ;)

is players mentality linked to passing? ive been playing fm for years but gettin my players to have 100+ has been a nightmare, i caan get the odd game where my dm or fb will get over 100+, but can never recreate it in next game.

i guess that havin ur players play close to eachother as a unit is important so doesnt that mean that every players mentality shld be the same?

havin ur striker be att and mid's normal/def and centre backs def surely mean that they will be gaps between def-mid and mid-att.

ive trained my players to have the required ppm's and selected the right instructions to play possession game whilst creating chances, but just cant pull off passin game

also i cant get my forward to score more than 10-15 goals a season and always poor match ratings, any tips on how to improve this in a possession tactic?

hey bud, there are many factors that effect this :) try and make the central hub passer of the ball defensive mentality and give him high freedom with short passing and moving into channels..

play high and narrow!

I use these type of tactics in League 2 with Crewe Alexandra. My base formation is 4-2-3-1. Against stronger teams, or when I want to defend I play 4-4-1-1. When I really want to attack I go 4-3-3. I do not like the use of a defensive midfielder. I concede a small amount of goals. Only 27 in a season of 46 matches. I score less than I would like, 43. I have a lot of 0-0 draws, which cost me automatic promotion place. However, this is the most enjoyable play style for me, and I am trying hard to solve the goal scoring problems without causing my tactics to leak in other places. I do not want to have to play 2 up front.

This thread is very informative and I appreciate it, thanks!

its a pleasure mate :)

Raikan could je please explain the pass/touch and move settings again?

I am working on a 1 DC tactic (GK-DC-DM-DM-DM-MR-ML-AMC-AMC-AMC-AC) from which 10 players move into channels (and so far my defense is holding up :) ) but...they are not passing quick, they even hold onto the ball (not talking about 1-2seconds, but actually holding the ball while defending it with their bodies) from time to time.

My defensive line is high (17)
My width is small (7)
My tempo is high (17)
My time wasting is rarely (0)
My philosophy is very rigid
My mentality is controlling
All but the goaly move into channels

Non of the players roam from position, I tried this on my AMC's and that lead to a lot of individual actions in attempt to score themselves making my striker (who is set as targetman-move to ball) useless (about 12 passes per 90 match and 2-5 shots).

Based on my set-up any advise on who should roam and who shouldn't (and/or who should or should not move into channels) to create the short quick passing touch and move?

Raikan could je please explain the pass/touch and move settings again?

I am working on a 1 DC tactic (GK-DC-DM-DM-DM-MR-ML-AMC-AMC-AMC-AC) from which 10 players move into channels (and so far my defense is holding up :) ) but...they are not passing quick, they even hold onto the ball (not talking about 1-2seconds, but actually holding the ball while defending it with their bodies) from time to time.

My defensive line is high (17)
My width is small (7)
My tempo is high (17)
My time wasting is rarely (0)
My philosophy is very rigid
My mentality is controlling
All but the goaly move into channels

Non of the players roam from position, I tried this on my AMC's and that lead to a lot of individual actions in attempt to score themselves making my striker (who is set as targetman-move to ball) useless (about 12 passes per 90 match and 2-5 shots).

Based on my set-up any advise on who should roam and who shouldn't (and/or who should or should not move into channels) to create the short quick passing touch and move?

play balanced, play slower, 8-12, time wasting 4

keep wider players as normal, untick hold up ball for most players except the passing hub! increase freedom a bit as well!

Thanks Raikan.

Going to test it whith my own club, when I like what I see I'll test it with Barca...if...the results are somewhat impressive I'll post you some ss.

Raikan please help

sorry i can not post any SS at the moment i am in work. I'm trying to create a possession tactic, i'l try to explain as much as possible...

----------Treq
Winger---AP-----------IF
-----------------AP
-----------DM
FB------LD----BPD--- FB
---------SweepGK

so as you can see i have my central mid and attacking mid both as advanced playmakers, i have my fullbacks on support and holding up ball, striker holding up ball also, sweeper keeper gives ball to ball playing defender.... i have a high line(16) but i cant seem to get a lot of possession in opponents half, knocking it around the back 4 and DM, although i am scoring a lot of goals... I'm adamant on making this formation work so dont really want to change the positions but will change the instructions etc. any help would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the awful explanation.

sorry i can not post any SS at the moment i am in work. I'm trying to create a possession tactic, i'l try to explain as much as possible...

----------Treq
Winger---AP-----------IF
-----------------AP
-----------DM
FB------LD----BPD--- FB
---------SweepGK

so as you can see i have my central mid and attacking mid both as advanced playmakers, i have my fullbacks on support and holding up ball, striker holding up ball also, sweeper keeper gives ball to ball playing defender.... i have a high line(16) but i cant seem to get a lot of possession in opponents half, knocking it around the back 4 and DM, although i am scoring a lot of goals... I'm adamant on making this formation work so dont really want to change the positions but will change the instructions etc. any help would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the awful explanation.

its just down to setting each players individual instructions mate :)

I've gave your style a bash with an Everton team but can't really get my striker scoring, I play him as a target man attack ball into feet and hold up ball. Any advice cause his overall play is good but no goals??????

I've gave your style a bash with an Everton team but can't really get my striker scoring, I play him as a target man attack ball into feet and hold up ball. Any advice cause his overall play is good but no goals??????

take him off as TM and make him run from deep often!

----------Treq
Winger---AP-----------IF
-----------------AP
-----------DM
FB------LD----BPD--- FB
---------SweepGK

Try to increase the mentality of your DM so that he will look to pass forward more often. You should also consider changing your CM's (advanced playmaker) role to something else, so that he will come deeper to get the ball. Your team propably lack passing options forward from the defence so it is very likely that your advanced playmakers aren't available for a pass.

For some reason things are not going the way I would like.

Most annoying part is having about 40-60 passes per player in the first 3-4 matches but as soon as they learn the tactic better it drops the same with my possession.

After 10 matches I got sick and tired of it and restarted the game (again), I went from 80%+ possession with over 50 passes per player to 30-40% possession with about 12-20 passes per player.

Is this a normal dip?

note: the possession and passes achieved (including the "dip" ) were against lower teams so imo its impossible that a team overclassed mine.

For some reason things are not going the way I would like.

Most annoying part is having about 40-60 passes per player in the first 3-4 matches but as soon as they learn the tactic better it drops the same with my possession.

After 10 matches I got sick and tired of it and restarted the game (again), I went from 80%+ possession with over 50 passes per player to 30-40% possession with about 12-20 passes per player.

Is this a normal dip?

note: the possession and passes achieved (including the "dip" ) were against lower teams so imo its impossible that a team overclassed mine.

its the tactic mate.. and the settings.. you are not doing something correct :)

Try to increase the mentality of your DM so that he will look to pass forward more often. You should also consider changing your CM's (advanced playmaker) role to something else, so that he will come deeper to get the ball. Your team propably lack passing options forward from the defence so it is very likely that your advanced playmakers aren't available for a pass.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

I've got a 4-2-3-1 tactic which is working pretty well (reliably 60%+ possession), and was wondering if anybody had experimented with what effect shifting to the deep variant had on possession and passing?

I've adjusted player instructions to the point where the roles are effectively irrelevant, but in my tactic the 2 are nominally a DLP(D) and a BWM(S). The DLP usually makes the most passes. I wanted to increase the number of passes across the team, and tried bringing them deeper, so a DLP(D) and a DM(S).

Intuitively, it seems that bringing the midfield deeper should increase possession and passes at the cost of making a fewer chances. In my experiment it did seem as if we were scoring a little less, but was having no effect on possession.

hi Raikan007
can you recommend a tactic for me to try where its like the above, short passes slow and quick preferably one st, and thats not in classic format, i cant stand that format, i like the sound of SS tactic but its made in classic format.