Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Oké call me a dumbass or what ever (my name is FC Knudde for a reason ;) ) but I am getting frustrated here (could be the language barrier as well).

Last night I had a tactic (DR-DC-DL-DM-DM-DM-MC-MC-MC) in which my full backs each had over a 100 passes (first match with that tactic) and my MC had about 80 passes...but...my attacking part was a disaster (imagine Barcelone playing against an amateur club and being unable to create any shots at goal).

So I kept my defensive part and changed my attacking set-up...this resulted in over 30 shots on goal BUT my passing was a disaster.
My full backs and MC hardly gained over 20 passes.

So here is my (dumbie/noob) question:

What are the prefered settings that guarantee short passes per position?
What I mean is what are the prefered (starting) settings per position for:
- Mentality (1-20)
- Creativity (1-20)
- Passing (1-20)

I have tried numerous tactical set-ups and settings and for some reason I fail to succeed in creating a high passing tactic.

This is the what this thread is all about! Creating the perfect possession/passing tactic without sacrificing a lot of passes to create chances! It's incredibly difficult i've found. For the past 4 months i've been using a tactic which has been getting around 550 passes and I thought that was great! Nothing compared to some of the tactics i've seen on this thread where some people have 750+! Really hoping we can sort this before FM13!

i played using Sheffield United. i bought some good players. There are :

GK : Tim Krul, Kasper Schmeicel, and i dont remember the one (but its from my 18 team)
Defenders : Tamas Kadar, Gary Cahill, Bamba, Papac, Colocchini, Kyle Naughton, and Loovren
Midfields : Cleverley, Josh McEachran, Oscar, Craig Gardner, Arshavin, Leandro (Brazil), John Fleck, Jack Cork, Ross Barkley, Tom Cairney
Forwards : Chicarito, Federico Macheda, Paco Alcacer, Ched Evans, Welbeck

I love to use the 4-2-3-1 tactics, so i need your opinions. whats the best tactic for my Sheffield United games?
I have an internet connections trouble, so i will upload the SS later :D

Just want your Tips and Hints, and thanks for your understanding about my bad English :p

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation. i finished 6th in the league with norwich , and won the league cup.
i had balanced philosophy, and played a counter mentality. Played a direct passing style, agressive tackling and zonal marking.
Had a low - normal tempo(closer to low) and played counter attacking football. Anyways i can improve on this?

Not sure yet if this actually works but I was looking for any explanation about the creativity slider to perfect my tactic...I could not find a single clear answer / explanation to this, while it appears to be a key factor when it comes to short passes.

In the Guidetofootballmanager guide (Player Attributes - Guide to Football Manager 2012) the folowing atributes are explained as being related to creativity:
1- Crossing
2- Finishing
3- Free kicks
4- Heading
5- Long shots
6- Passing
7- Technique
8- Anticipation
9- Composure
10- Concentration
11- Decisions
12- Flair
13- Creativity
Since we are looking for flowing near perfect short passing I guess (and please correct me if I am wrong) the atributes mentioned in green are the key atributes for short passes.

I think I have a simple formula that might help determain what creativity setting each player should have.
Here it goes.

Player specific:
Passing +Anticipation+ Composure + Concentration + Decisions + Flair + Technique + Creativity / 8 (number of atributes) = position of the creativity slider.

Position specific:
Player 1 Passing +Anticipation+ Composure + Concentration + Decisions + Flair + Technique + Creativity / 8 (number of atributes)
+
Player 2 (back up) Passing +Anticipation+ Composure + Concentration + Decisions + Flair + Technique + Creativity / 8 (number of atributes)
+
Player 3 (back up 2) Passing +Anticipation+ Composure + Concentration + Decisions + Flair + Technique + Creativity / 8 (number of atributes)
=
??? / 3 (number of players appointed to that position) = overall setting for the creativity slider for that specific position.

So If you want a midfielder to pass short but shoot from distance as well then you should add "long shots" to the formula as well.
The formula would be like this:
Passing +Anticipation+ Composure + Concentration + Decisions + Flair + Technique + Creativity + Longshots / 9 (number of atributes) = position of the creativity slider.

Like I said, I am not sure if this actually works but I do hope it does and will help us to be more effective in getting players to pass short.

Feel free to correct me at any point if am wrong.

Last edited:
Your onto something and your thought ain't far off but first of all what contributes most to how a player passes is the passing style in either team instructions or player instructions (if ticked).

The formula itself ain't a bad idea though and if you read on that webpage about Creative Freedom it gives you a good idea how it works. "(...) individuals will be more likely to attempt difficult and ambitious, but potentially rewarding, passes, runs and shots on goal. Players will therefore require good Creativity, Decisions, Flair and attacking technical attributes."

So that's where your formula comes into the picture - although that alone of course ain't the ultimate answer for whether it'll work out the way you want it or not. A player with very good attacking technical attributes and the right mental attributes has a higher chance of actually succeeding with his daring moves out on the pitch.

I'll take an example with Jack Wilshere from my Arsenal save (in 2018/19 season), where I've decided to leave out free kick taking;

Total attribute score (182) divided by number of attributes (12) equals 15,25.

15 out of a total of 20 on the Creative Freedom slider. If he had 20 in every attribute (except free kick taking which I haven't included) it would be 20. And if you look at it that way it does make a bit of sense although it ain't the whole picture. But for Wilshere, having Creative Freedom on nothing higher than 15 would at least minimize the chance of him trying stuff like heading, finishing and long shots which are his weakest attacking technical attributes. When it comes to how all this plays out you have to look at how the match engine processes it all. I'm no pro when it comes to the match engine but one of the first things a player does after receving the ball (where first touch etc. is important) is to make a decision about what to do. Meaning that although you can have a player with excellent passing, creativity etc. but bad decision he can easy f... up the second he gets the ball because he makes a bad choice. This is also why a lot of people playing FM have decisions as one of their favorite attributes.
So in other words once you've calculated the "creative freedom slider score" you have to actually look at the attributes and decided whether that number actually sounds reasonable or if you want to lower it a bit.

Back to your post and the short passing and long shots for example, the first changes you should do and which does the most impact is in fact the options that go by those names themselves; Passing Style and Long Shots.

My BWM CM in my tactic is always the player(s) that has the highest Passes Succeeded / Attempted (usually no lower than 90%) since the instructions for that position in my case is; Passing Style (4 - Short) and Creative Freedom (10 - Normal).

And of course the player instruction itself isn't the only thing but the other players attributes are just as important, especally attributes like Off The Ball as thats one of the big factors in how the players move around and make themselves available for all types of passes and crosses.

I know I didn't really answer your question very good but thats simply because I don't know that much about the match engine but I'm sure others do.

Hey guys, just an update on how the passing is coming along with me. I'll let these screen shots talk for themselves! If you look at my previous screen shots you'll see the progression!

Gone from 375 passes against Watford, to 472 passes in 1 game, then to 591 passes 20 games later after changing match preparation to 'Teamwork'.

I've discovered that putting it to Teamwork the whole time really improves how your team clicks. Hope this is helpful!

View attachment 268799View attachment 268800View attachment 268801

my fullback have 100 passes and my playmaker only 40
why ?

How do I make more passes in the opponent's half ?

Last edited:
Hello Raikan! (sorry for my poor english)
Well I've tried agian to build a possession tactic, this time it went better.
I still have problems:
1. I cant get the possession to be more than 71%.
2. My AMC instractions are not good i've tried many ways but it ruind the tactic.
3. My throw ins are very bad.
4. The goal kicks, are they ways to make the goalkeeper to pass the ball?
Well I uploaded the tactic I would like you to take a look and tell me where I am wrong.
the tactic:tacaticue a la weber.tac
Thanks, yours Omer.

Hello Raikan :). I am trying for some time to create a possession tactic using a 3-4-3 small diamond. It's like this: CB, CB, CB - DM, CM, CM, AM - ST, ST, ST. For the strikers I use a Target Man as the central one and two Deep Lying Forwards, all on attack duty, all with good passing, technique and some teamwork. With the 2 DLF having finishing 15, I think it's a waste to use them on support, or am I wrong? The AM position is a Tranquista and I use a second striker for that ( Del Piero, Ronaldinho, Totti etc role). The problem is how should I use the 3 midfielders left? Can I use an Advanced playmaker for one of the 2 CM or should I use more defending players to cover my 3 CB? All of the midfielders will have good passing, teamwork and workrate.

Hello Raikan! (sorry for my poor english)
Well I've tried agian to build a possession tactic, this time it went better.
I still have problems:
1. I cant get the possession to be more than 71%.
2. My AMC instractions are not good i've tried many ways but it ruind the tactic.
3. My throw ins are very bad.
4. The goal kicks, are they ways to make the goalkeeper to pass the ball?
Well I uploaded the tactic I would like you to take a look and tell me where I am wrong.
the tactic:tacaticue a la weber.tac
Thanks, yours Omer.

dont use an amc :)
use the set piece creator and edit it yourself
set passing to short for keeper and defender collect

Hello Raikan :). I am trying for some time to create a possession tactic using a 3-4-3 small diamond. It's like this: CB, CB, CB - DM, CM, CM, AM - ST, ST, ST. For the strikers I use a Target Man as the central one and two Deep Lying Forwards, all on attack duty, all with good passing, technique and some teamwork. With the 2 DLF having finishing 15, I think it's a waste to use them on support, or am I wrong? The AM position is a Tranquista and I use a second striker for that ( Del Piero, Ronaldinho, Totti etc role). The problem is how should I use the 3 midfielders left? Can I use an Advanced playmaker for one of the 2 CM or should I use more defending players to cover my 3 CB? All of the midfielders will have good passing, teamwork and workrate.

dlp/bwm/dlp

dont use an amc :)
use the set piece creator and edit it yourself
set passing to short for keeper and defender collect
Thank you raikan it really helped but there is still something I need to improve.
View attachment 269450

The MC I have 3 but accept Arteta they are with only 40 passes, something specific I need to change?
P.S if you want me to upload the improved tactic tell me.

Thank you raikan it really helped but there is still something I need to improve.
View attachment 269450

The MC I have 3 but accept Arteta they are with only 40 passes, something specific I need to change?
P.S if you want me to upload the improved tactic tell me.

use shouts:

push up higher/hassle opponents as well

tell mids to run from deep sometimes to encourage them to sit above the halfway line

use shouts:

push up higher/hassle opponents as well

tell mids to run from deep sometimes to encourage them to sit above the halfway line
1. I can't use shouts because the tactic is at classic version.
2. Every body accept the defenders and full backs are run from deep sometimes. (I think the striker runs from deep often)

Last edited:
And which one of mt 3 playmakers should be ticked in the team instructions as the primary? How about the instructions for those dlp? I would like one of them to have more creativity and try direct passes to my target man, Pirlo wise. The idea of my tactic is this: Defenders and midfielders (non-playmakers) play simple short passes so they won't loose the ball while my playmakers make T-balls, key passes for my target man who can finish himself or pass to one of my dlf? Is this possible or am I doing this wrong?

And another thing. How can I prevent the opposition to start a counter attack on the flanks? Very often they run down the flank and make a cross and in my own box I am outnumbered. How can I make my 3 Def to stay wider when in possession? Or should I use LB and RB?

Last edited:
And which one of mt 3 playmakers should be ticked in the team instructions as the primary? How about the instructions for those dlp? I would like one of them to have more creativity and try direct passes to my target man, Pirlo wise. The idea of my tactic is this: Defenders and midfielders (non-playmakers) play simple short passes so they won't loose the ball while my playmakers make T-balls, key passes for my target man who can finish himself or pass to one of my dlf? Is this possible or am I doing this wrong?

And another thing. How can I prevent the opposition to start a counter attack on the flanks? Very often they run down the flank and make a cross and in my own box I am outnumbered. How can I make my 3 Def to stay wider when in possession? Or should I use LB and RB?

bwm - dlp - bwm :)

high freedom for DLP and no running with ball, moves into channels