Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

Thanks mate, any other tweaks or known exploits (other than the corner one) which i can put into my tactic?

Get my full backs to mark tightly? Where should my wingers cross from? Also, i want my wingers to cross from the byline but otherwise come inside and look to play diagonal through balls to the opposite striker or be looking to get slotted in himself in between the cb and fb. What settings does this need?

I dont to be honest mate :) never known them or used them to be honest :)

It depends on your strikers movements, if you have deep lying forwards then cross from deep and sometimes with through balls often! (far post)

If poachers, then from byline drill crosses often no long shots and through balls sometimes (near post)

If your wingers have crossing stat under 15 then ask them to cross to NEAR POST if above that, FAR POST :)

as I said, it depends on the movements of your striker/s mate..

I'm managing Berwick and we are at the top of the second division in my second season mostly due to me managing to get players with premier potential on frees.

My main problem is my strikers seem to be wasting so many chances, I've been using Jamil Adam as a deep lying forward with attack duty (he's awful with support duty and seems to have no impact) and Darren Gribben as an advanced forward.

Jamil was the 3rd divisions top scorer last season with over 35 goals, this season he's only managed about 8 in 18 games. Darrens managed about 14.

My main problem is the insane amount of shots they get that just miss the goal or hit the bar, neither have any finishing moves and this has only started happening this season. My central defenders seem to be more accurate than my strikers with their finishing.

We generally play at a slow tempo and they tend to get some very good clear cut chances but my strikers seem to screw them up 90% of the time. Jamil managed to score the other day by complete fluke with a (bad) cross yet never manged a single goal in the 10 or so chances he got that match.

In short: Tons of clear cut chances, Strikers with good stats won't score.

its mostly down to the quality of your players mate, you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink :)

Hey Raikan, I'm using your "Swoop there it is" tactic with Nottingham Forest and I must say it is quality. Took them over in November (2015) and I've gone from 23rd up to 4th in 4 months.

The only thing is, I concedeall my goals from set pieces. Long free-kicks mainly. I was wondering whether or not you have some advice regarding this tactic in particular? Is this a common problem or do you think are my defenders just useless at this?

Be it the tactic or my defenders, but I never concede from open play (which is impressive either way) and I feel like if I could cut out this set-piece problem, I could pose a bigger threat.

Just as a painful example (one of many though): 5th round of FA cup vs Aston Villa. Ended up 3-3, which I should have been delighted with, but the fact that all 3 of their goals came from set pieces left me feeling a bit hard done by.

I've tried my own versions of the set-piece tactic-maker and havn't noticed any changes.

Thanks! (and again, great tactic!)

EDIT: Also, Match Prep is on Defending Set pieces.

Last edited:
@Raikan007

Could you make updated versions of your 'Swoop there it is' tactic and AMC tactic for the 12.2.2. patch as they don't work for me on the current patch

Thanks

Hey Raikan, I'm using your "Swoop there it is" tactic with Nottingham Forest and I must say it is quality. Took them over in November (2015) and I've gone from 23rd up to 4th in 4 months.

The only thing is, I concedeall my goals from set pieces. Long free-kicks mainly. I was wondering whether or not you have some advice regarding this tactic in particular? Is this a common problem or do you think are my defenders just useless at this?

Be it the tactic or my defenders, but I never concede from open play (which is impressive either way) and I feel like if I could cut out this set-piece problem, I could pose a bigger threat.

Just as a painful example (one of many though): 5th round of FA cup vs Aston Villa. Ended up 3-3, which I should have been delighted with, but the fact that all 3 of their goals came from set pieces left me feeling a bit hard done by.

I've tried my own versions of the set-piece tactic-maker and havn't noticed any changes.

Thanks! (and again, great tactic!)

EDIT: Also, Match Prep is on Defending Set pieces.

well done mate, good job ;)

there is not much you can do, just make sure your biggest players mark their biggest players! have players on each post as well (like corners)

good luck

@Raikan007

Could you make updated versions of your 'Swoop there it is' tactic and AMC tactic for the 12.2.2. patch as they don't work for me on the current patch

Thanks

hey bud, if I get a chance I will :) cant promise it though

hello mate just wondering if you can help? me and my friend have created a flat 442 and believe it or not i went unbeaten in the league (league1 with sheff utd) 45 wins 1 draw and im unbeaten in the championship in the league as well which is amazing but i want to make it better as i struggle against premier league teams could you give me any advice View attachment 256610View attachment 256611 thats our tactic i have screenshots of the league table and the players i signed and ill send you the link to the tactic if you like i use only 1 shout which is retain poss! i love useing this but i want to make it better

Hi Raiikan, What tactic from your megapack would be the best for my Stade Rennais season ? Not signed anyone and i'm using the summer update. Thanks.

Hi Raiikan, What tactic from your megapack would be the best for my Stade Rennais season ? Not signed anyone and i'm using the summer update. Thanks.

I cant remember what was in there lol :) definitely not the Libeiro one though! if you like possession maybe try the Spanish one I did a few days ago?

I cant remember what was in there lol :) definitely not the Libeiro one though! if you like possession maybe try the Spanish one I did a few days ago?

I tried to download it but it took me to Microsoft word processor.

I tried to download it but it took me to Microsoft word processor.

you dont open it with anything, just download it and copy and paste into tactics folder in sportsinteractive folder :)

Anfield_Mojan9 said:
oh i see haha united is still good. if you could roughly outline how to play on the counter attack how to play a efficient controlling game and how to play a more offensively styled game that would be awesome by outline i mean quick or slow passing short or direct and a few sort of necessities for the tactic.

Counter attacking settings template: (any formation with wingers, 442 with two DLP's as DMC's is good)

View attachment 258903

when playing on the counter, its best to use a deep line to allow the opposition to commit players forward into your half before repossessing them with aggressive tackling and pressing! playing wide and quick allows the ball to be played upfield quickly to take advantage of the space now for countering.. the wingers are usually the quickest players on the field and having them set to run with ball often (as normally is by default) will help set up a successful counter attack! playing direct passing ensures that if a direct or long ball into space is an option, it will be taken and not passed around like Barca essentially allowing the opp to get back into position!

Suggested touchline shouts:

clear ball to flanks/run at defence/exploits flanks/look for overlap (only a good idea if playing at home and if you have good attacking fullbacks like Maicon/Dani Alves/Patrice Evra)/pass into space/get ball forward

Attacking settings template: (most formations)

View attachment 258904

playing quick and wide with direct passing is similar to what is mentioned above, however, with a bit more of a higher line and not only attacking when the counter is on, whenever in possession you will attack as if countering like above, counter attack box is ticked as well to ensure you will counter if the option is there as well :)

Stand off more is a different approach that works well for me in attacking tactics, it allows the opp to play around in their own half, as soon as they cross the halfway line then the players start to close down and get the ball back and from there launch attacks, you can also keep it as pressing more as well :) it was just to show you an alternative option that some people don't use often but it still works!

The IF's ensure that you will attack, the DLF drops deep into the pocket to link up the play and play in through balls for the IF's and Poacher.. think Rooney/Hernandez partnership! The DLP allows the main playmaker to make the passes and pull the strings, never use a playmaker as the AI shuts them down very quickly.. its counter productive, trust me :) the BWM is there as like an Anchor Man to roam around and win the ball back and lay it off to the DLP to dictate play

Suggested touchline shouts:

Get ball forward/pass into space/work ball into box (reduces long shots) exploit flanks

I am trying to build a solid defense with my team,I play 4-2-4 (2 with AML/AMR and 2 strikers) and 4-5-1(with AM,not a DM) so i though of playing man marking for all my midfielders and strikers,high pressure,closing down,hard tackling and zonal marking for my defense with low closing down(own half/own area) normal tackling and playing the offside trap.
Could it work?
Also help would be appreciated for specific instructions for the back 4,normal/easy tackling,own area/won half closing down,do mentalities have a role in the position that defenders take on the pitch(I read that somewhere),and any tips would be appreciated?

I am trying to build a solid defense with my team,I play 4-2-4 (2 with AML/AMR and 2 strikers) and 4-5-1(with AM,not a DM) so i though of playing man marking for all my midfielders and strikers,high pressure,closing down,hard tackling and zonal marking for my defense with low closing down(own half/own area) normal tackling and playing the offside trap.
Could it work?
Also help would be appreciated for specific instructions for the back 4,normal/easy tackling,own area/won half closing down,do mentalities have a role in the position that defenders take on the pitch(I read that somewhere),and any tips would be appreciated?

read above for a few idea's :)

fullbacks - man/tight marking/closing down as much as your CM's
centre backs - loose/zonal marking/halfway closing down only

attacking mentalities, yes it does!

the thing that confuses me most in the counter-attacking tactics is the PI (basically because i never played with a CA tactic) so would you be kind enough to 'generalize' the PI in the Counter attacking tactic? (my tactic is a 4-3-3. 2 CM 1 AMC) plus, can i still use the carrick role in a counter attacking tactic? if not, what roles/PI should i use for the 2 cm's (nuri sahin and luca leiva)

Last edited:
the thing that confuses me most in the counter-attacking tactics is the PI (basically because i never played with a CA tactic) so would you be kind enough to 'generalize' the PI in the Counter attacking tactic? (my tactic is a 4-3-3. 2 CM 1 AMC) plus, can i still use the carrick role in a counter attacking tactic? if not, what roles/PI should i use for the 2 cm's (nuri sahin and luca leiva)

deep lying counter v,.tac

this is a very basic counter attacking tactic I made for one game! use shouts:

pass into space/clear to flanks/get ball forward/run at defence

Hey Raikan007, i've recently downloaded some additional leagues and become manager of a team in a very low league (Grimsby Borough). Should I use a direct style of play for the lower leagues or can a possession game be used with such a poor standard of players? If you recommend a direct style are there any tactics already made i could use?