Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2 - Chelsea 96 points (1st) - Norwich 70 points (5th)

Rosler71

Reaction score
Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2 - Chelsea 96 points (1st) - Norwich 70 points (5th)

Greetings all,

Apologies for being late to the party.

I've been very active on the SI Forums for a few years but 'Jason Bhoys' encouraged me come over and take a look at what's going on here and its obvious you have a great and big community over here at FM base.

You probably don't really need any more tactics over here I can see there are great options already in the download section but i've put an unbelievable amount of work into these 2 tactics and as that work is already done I decided that I might as well make it available to the widest audience possible. Perhaps 1 or 2 of you might like to give them a try?

Overview

I prefer a 'real world' look and feel to my tactics with a flat back 4, 2 strikers an Anchor and a 3 men flat across the middle. I don't believe excellent attacking play comes at the cost of solid defensive so I concentrate equally on both until i'm happy that i've arrived at the correct balance.

You've probably noticed that there are 2 tactics. Rainmaker is the 'Home' tactic. Silk & Steel is the 'Away' tactic. Its actually a bit more complicated than that but i will elaborate later. But they are designed to be used as a set.

Results

I tested them for a full season with Chelsea and Norwich. Season 1, no transfers, automatic manager reputation.

View attachment 426886View attachment 426885

Very happy with those results.

Note for Chelsea I used Rainmaker v2 for all games home and away EXCEPT Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City and Liverpool AWAY where i used Silk & Steel v2.

For Norwich I used Rainmaker v2 at home and Silk & Steel away all games.

The Tactics

View attachment 426884View attachment 426882

You will note the only difference between them are the Mentalities and a few Team Instructions. However they play out quite differently.

WHEN TO USE WHICH TACTIC!!

Now, key to all this is when to use each tactic. I will outline below a few ways below which can be used to determine this.

In a nutshell.

Rainmaker is a high tempo/attacking tactic for when you are favourites to win the match.

Silk & Steel is a low tempo, possession based tactic for when you are the 'Underdog'.

** THESE TACTICS ARE DESIGNED AS A 'SET' TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH EACH OTHER **

But first the following 'rules' are what i've been using in all situations.

If you are using Rainmaker v2 and you have a 1 goal lead on 65 minutes switch to Silk & Steel v2 to protect that lead. If you concede switch back to Rainmaker v2. Rinse & repeat.

If you are using Silk & Steel v2 and you are behind at half time switch to Rainmaker v2. If you equalise switch back to Silk & Steel. Rinse & repeat.

If you are using Silk & Steel v2 and you fall behind in the 2nd half immediately switch to Rainmaker v2. If you equalise switch back to Silk & Steel. Rinse & repeat.

Starting Tactics - Different approaches

Straightforward

Rainmaker v2 for all HOME matches. Silk & Steel for all AWAY matches. Referring to above guidelines for changing 'mid match'.

A perfectly valid approach for everyone, especially 'mid level' teams.

Match odds

If you are Favourite for the match Rainmaker v2. If you are not Silk & Steel v2. If its even Rainmaker v2 HOME, Silk & Steel v2 AWAY.

Again referring to the guidelines above for reacting mid match.

Emotive

Consider opponent reputation, fixture location - home or away, your form and opponents form and then look at the following statements and pick the one you agree with most.

ONLY a WIN is acceptable to me. = Rainmaker v2

Actually, a DRAW is acceptable to me = Silk & Steelv2
Again referring to the guidelines above for reacting mid match.

Be aware, Silk & Steel v2 is NOT designed to draw matches or be negative in anyway, you will score lots of goals. But its designed to blunt the attack of a superior team.

Using one of the above approaches you will soon get a feeling for the right tactic to start with

PLAYER ROLES AND ATTRIBUTES

Anyone familiar with my other threads will know I have ideas about players being well suited to the roles they are asked to perform.

I like to highlight 4 attributes I believe are required for someone to perform to the maximum in each position with one of them considered key which will need to be 'maxed out' as much as possible relative to the division you are in.

Bare in mind these are just my 'ideas' and not hard and fast rules.

Let start with the players with our 2 strikers.

Complete Forward/Attack

This is our main goalscorer likely to be responsible for around 30% of the goals scored by your team.

Job Description; To lead the line, be the spearhead to our attacks. Be the furthest up field even when we are out of possession. Required to 'outpace' defenders, even with 'ball at feet', clinical finishing is required. Not required to track back but intelligent movement off the ball is essential.

Key Attribute: Acceleration

Other attributes; Composure, Finishing, Off the ball

False 9/Support

Our support striker with a dual role. Creator and Finsher.

Job Description To be a 'Link' player, a pivot between our midfield and our main Striker. Being able to play a killer ball to a team mate in space is essential. As is being able to get onto the end of chances and finishing them off. Required to 'press' defenders in possession denying space and time and hopefully winning back possession in dangerous positions.

Key Attribute: Passing

Other attributes; Flair, Creativity, Finishing

Player roles/attributes - Midfield

Central Midfield/Attack

A goal scoring midfielder. Our Auxiliary Striker running from deep. 1 goal every 3 games is realistic with lots of assists.

Job description; To run forward tirelessly from midfield, timing runs to arrive unmarked into the penalty area to receive ball and create or score. Also able to run with ball and commit defenders as well as pick out team mates in space. Some 'pressing' is required but offensive abilities take precedence here.

Key Attribute; Acceleration

Other attributes; Passing, Finishing, Work Rate

Box to Box/Support

Hunter/Killers. Win back possession and deliver killer passes.

Job Description; 'Hybrid' midfielders required who are tenacious in the tackle yet have the skills to identify key passing opportunities and deliver the 'killer ball'. Extremely hard workers required to drive the team in both attack and defence. The role is so important we need 2 of them.

Key Attribute: Tackling

Other attributes; Work Rate, Passing, Team Work

Anchor Man/Defend

Our shield in front of the back 4. Winning the ball, playing it simple.

Job Description An 'immovable' object is required to protect our back line. Silky skills are not required but a dominant physical presence is. The ability to 'instil fear' into to our less courageous opponents is welcome, especially those AMC's you will run into. Skilled in the 'Dark Arts' of separating opponent from ball you will then be required to play it to a more skillfull team mate.

Key Attribute: Tackling

Other Attributes; Jumping Reach, Strength, Positioning

Player roles/attributes - Defence

Full Backs/Support

Our 'Flank' players required to contribute equally to Attack and Defence.

Job Description: Complete footballers are required to fulfill both offensive and defensive duties on the flanks of our team. Working in tandem with our other 'support' players you will be required to use your judgement to determine the opportune time to attack. You'll be 'up and down' all day so excellent athletic ability is essential as is the ability to use the ball well.

Key Attribute: Crossing

Other Attriibutes; Decisions, Passing, Stamina

Centre Backs/Defend

Single Minded. Stop attacks, give ball to team mate.

Job Description; Mentally strong individuals are required to 'lead from the back', putting your head in where others fear to tread is the name of the game. You will need to be a physically impressive specimen with the complimentary mental attributes required to anticipate and neutralise threats before they are realised.

Key Attribute: Jumping Reach

Other attributes; Tackling, Positioning, Strength

Goalkeeper

Last line of defence

Job Description; Strong social skills are not required for this position, loners welcome. You will however be physically tall with excellent reflexes and the ability to concentrate for long periods of time before being called into action at a moments notice. You will also be required to organise your team mates well in defensive situations.

Key Attribute: Aerial Ability

Other Attributes; Reflexes, Command of Area, One on Ones

Other bits.

NO Opposition Instructions

MAX PITCH SIZE

Long Throws are go. Check if you have anyone with 'Flat Bullet' throw. If you do put them on throw ins on the set-piece screen. Anyone with 15+ Long Throw Attribute will likely be able to learn it as a preferred move.

Training.

Full Match Training on Tactics only until fully fluid. Then leave on 'defending set pieces' all season on minimal (1 notch from the right on slider)

Team Training. 1 months Fitness, then 6 weeks Team Cohesion. then Balanced all season

GOOD LUCK ALL!!

Last edited:
Good to see you hear mate, the best FM site out there,just wait and see how this thread grow's

Do you alternate training for the tactics, or just get the team to train on rainmaker?

Do you alternate training for the tactics, or just get the team to train on rainmaker?

Just load both tactics at the same time. Doesn't matter which one you leave as the main tactic they both get fluid at the same rate.

Its actually quicker getting 2 similar tactics fluid than 1 tactic by itself ;)

P3 league, won 3. So far so good. Haven't used S&S yet, but got Newc away next so prob will start with that.

Quite an impressive and detailed thread. Im starting a new game now so going to give it a go.

Does it work with lower league teams?

Quite an impressive and detailed thread. Im starting a new game now so going to give it a go.

Does it work with lower league teams?

Looking good non league.

I'm top of Skrill South with Tonbridge Angels, someone has just won Skrill North with Stockport 1st season.

Thanks dude.

Good time to update you on my progress.

Just started a long term save with Tonbridge Angels in Skrill South. Plan is to see what I can do over 20 seasons (assuming I dont get sacked!).

Season 1 has gone well. Predicted to finish 17th - won the division with 101 points and 108 goals scored in 42 games.

View attachment 426343

good job... i don't know how to get the SS of my game and put in here.... in february im still undefeated in Polish first division

good job... i don't know how to get the SS of my game and put in here.... in february im still undefeated in Polish first division

There is an icon at the top of each post for uploading images,

well it started off well with my juv save but things are going down hill fast i dont get it this looks like the perfect tac for juv

ok... now im not a computer guy, heh the question is how to get screen shoot of the game??

This tactic got me promotion from Skrill South to Skrill Premier with Eastleigh.
20f7aca8565b0cc0e3aac8de49f26a42.png

As you can see, we literally ran away with the title. I think we clinched the title with eight or so games remaining. Solid year.