Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur [19:45 - 05/04/11]

When talking about history it is very ignorant not to bring up Italian teams. They have won more European cups than any league. Milan have the best European record IMO. Madrid won first 5 on trot when not many clubs involved. After than they won 4. In the same time Milan won 7. Monster of a team.

Yes Milan where a monster team but lets not forget that those "not many clubs" did include Milan the mighty Benfica and many more class acts

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Maybe a lil harsh yes but against Barce you have to be wide, if not there, well mediocre defence, which is there only weakness will have an easy job.

With regards to the ronaldo factor I agree but he has greatly matured under Jose, Its no problem if we give it to him often he jus needs to pass as often ( Which in all fairness to him he has been doing a lot more off)

Guys there's more to comparing the leagues than just Champions League. There's the Europa League as well, not to mention you can't measure a league's quality only by its top 3-4 teams or even its performances in said competitions necessarily. Until the 09-10 season, the Prem had the same big 4 pretty much every single year. They were very strong teams and the PL fans would cite them as evidence of the Prem's superiority, but there was a lack of competitiveness in the league since the other 16 weren't very good. La Liga may have been slightly worse in the Champions League but you had different teams in the top 4 every season, and from top to bottom it was stronger in the 00's.

The past two seasons though has seen the rise of Tottenham and ManCity and the demise of Liverpool, so there are 5 very good teams in England. In Spain, the past two seasons the stronger teams other than R. Madrid and Barca have all had problems (finances playing a big part) and have struggled. That's why I give the slight edge to the Prem right now. But the two leagues are very close and it's really annoying to hear the constant claims of the Prem's superiority and La Liga being like the SPL. PL fans conveniently forget that in 08-09, La Liga had 6 Champions League caliber teams. The worst of those teams, Villarreal, played ManU twice in the CL that season and equalled them...there was absolutely nothing separating the sides in both of those games. While that ManU team was considered one of the best teams in history, that Villarreal team finished in 6TH PLACE in La Liga that year.

Anyways, there's more to it than performance in these competitions, of course because the strength of the league is determined by 20 of its teams, not 4 or 7, but also because certain leagues' style of play favors them in these competitions. IMO the Prem's and Serie A's styles of play make them very well suited for the Champions League, especially in the knockout rounds, while La Liga's, the Bundesliga's, and the Eredevisie's styles of play put them at a disadvantage. That doesn't necessarily mean they are much worse just because they aren't quite as good in the CL. I think Ligue 1's style of play fits them fine for the CL, and I have no idea why French teams historically have failed so much in European competitions.

Way off topic though. I thought Tottenham played like **** in the second half and Crouch is a complete buffoon. Totally let down his team. I wonder what lineups the two teams will use in the next leg. I'm not sure how much of this game was R. Madrid playing well and Tottenham being completely unable to control the ball for more than 3 seconds. I have no idea what will happen in the next round. My head says that R. Madrid can't beat Barca, that there's no way a Spanish side can play attacking football and beat them. Teams like Chelsea, ManU, and to a lesser extent, Inter, are the ones well suited to beat Barca, and that's why if the final is ManU vs. Barca, ManU will win. My gut says though that R. Madrid are the much more motivated team after their last Barca game, and Barca is probably getting complacent since they've won so much recently, and of course I think overconfidence will be a huge problem. And of course that Mourinho will find a way to beat them. I think their next match, on April 16th, will have a big impact. If R. Madrid draws or wins, it will give them confidence, although maybe it would motivate Barca more and humble them a bit. If Barca wins, especially if it's by a lot, it might destroy R. Madrid's confidence. On the other hand, it just might motivate them more and contribute to Barca's overconfidence. It would also give Mourinho another chance to figure out what he did wrong. So I guess I have no idea what will happen and it should be very entertaining. Since the odds though will favor Barca, I'll probably put a value bet on Real.

Wont write big essays.

Difference between ManUtd and Wigan (1st position and 20th) is 35 points whereas difference between 1st and 3rd in La Liga is 36 Points. This is how competetive La Liga is.

ManUtd, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManCity all had chance to win the league but only Madrid and Barca had the chance in La Liga.

Yea had tough couple years, but goes to show even during our hardship we still mad more money,had more visitors and acheived better footballing standards than all you EPL teams... We've had a tough couple years yea its hard not winning that grand cup since 2003 but dam I cant imagine being a Gunner or a Chelsea fan... You guys are having a tough a hundred years

United got to back to back finals.... for the last 4 years the Semis.... So yeah, Tough times in Europe for all the EPL teams....

Also come back when you dont sack manager for winning the league for playing a poor standard of football..... Yeah so.. Your point is clueless.

stoke should have won, even chelsea die hards like cjacko admit they should have trounced you, you had chances but they had more and cech is the reason you came away with a point

Spurs' midfield didnt exist, Sandro was suprisingly disappointing and Jenas, well yeah.... the less said the better
Yes Cech did make 2 amazing saves which was the reason we got a point, but that doesn't mean we would have deserved to lose, Begovic made some good saves too. And they didn't have more chances. 20 shots to their 13, 12 corners to their 5, 52% possession, both teams hit the woodwork twice it was a good game and 1-1 was the right result IMO. Although we didn't play anywhere near our best that was mostly due to people dilly dallying on the ball and not playing the decisive final ball. And in no way should they have 'trounced' us.

On topic I can't see Spurs getting a goal at WHL. I think they'll pile the pressure on but Mourinho will do what he does best and defend a lead, then get them on the counter.

Last edited:
it wont happen, Jose will set his side to defend deep with Ronaldo the high wide outlet and if anything we could see a repeat scoreline

Never said it'll happen, I said I hoped it would happen! ;)

Yea had tough couple years, but goes to show even during our hardship we still mad more money,had more visitors and acheived better footballing standards than all you EPL teams... We've had a tough couple years yea its hard not winning that grand cup since 2003 but dam I cant imagine being a Gunner or a Chelsea fan... You guys are having a tough a hundred years
Yeah, but football isn't all about revenue. You haven't won the league in a few seasons, or any major trophies. You also have a lot of debt due to Perez's spending to earn the sponsorship revenue in the first place.

if you are to gloat and go ona wind up, move on. Also you laid into Capello over your style of football, even though it won you la liga
It would be a massive shame if they sacked Mourinho, they should give him time. If he can't win the league, not many people can.

Wont write big essays.

Difference between ManUtd and Wigan (1st position and 20th) is 35 points whereas difference between 1st and 3rd in La Liga is 36 Points. This is how competetive La Liga is.

ManUtd, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManCity all had chance to win the league but only Madrid and Barca had the chance in La Liga.
That is the worst thing about the La Liga, it's always between Real and Barca. Don't know why Athletico are in it, they have a good, team - De Gea, Forlan, Aguero, etc.

Great win for Mourinho, and I hope 'the Special One' does well, although I hate his arrogance sometimes. In my opinion, the Premier League is more competitive, but Spain have more local talent and teams who can really challenge for the Champions League spots (but not the title). In England, there is basically Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool while in Spain there is Valencia, Villareal, Athletico Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Real Madrid. To be fair, I don't think Tottenham and Liverpool have as much chance of breaking into the Top Four as Valencia and Villareal, for example.

Hmm interesting breaking news on SSN Lennon saying he wasnt taken ill just before kick off and wont be made a scapegoat :O

Sky Sports News breaking news: "Aaron Lennon has denied that he was taken ill just before kick off vs Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and has said 'I won't be made a scapegoat'."

Lennon to leave in the summer.

The winger was pulled from Spurs’ starting line-up just minutes before the Champions League quarter-final first leg kicked off.
Redknapp revealed his shock at Lennon’s late withdrawal after the 4-0 defeat, claiming it caught him completely unaware. The Tottenham manager said: "I asked him, 'Are you fit enough to play?' and he said, 'I've got no energy, I've got no strength, I might last five minutes.
“It wasn't a chance that was worth taking. It was crazy. If he felt that bad, we decided it wasn't worth risking him. If he didn't feel fit, there is nothing we can do.”
But Lennon has taken to Twitter to insists Spurs staff were fully aware he had been struggling with illness since Sunday, and revealed his anger over being made a "scapegoat" for the defeat.
He wrote: “Saying i fell ill be4 the game is bull**** i fell ill on sunday morning where the med team put me on antibotics, but only got worse b4 tues.
“Believe me this is 1 game i did no wnt to miss and still devo now!!!! But will not be made a scapegoat saying they only knew jus b4 K O.”

The winger was pulled from Spurs’ starting line-up just minutes before the Champions League quarter-final first leg kicked off.
Redknapp revealed his shock at Lennon’s late withdrawal after the 4-0 defeat, claiming it caught him completely unaware. The Tottenham manager said: "I asked him, 'Are you fit enough to play?' and he said, 'I've got no energy, I've got no strength, I might last five minutes.
“It wasn't a chance that was worth taking. It was crazy. If he felt that bad, we decided it wasn't worth risking him. If he didn't feel fit, there is nothing we can do.”
But Lennon has taken to Twitter to insists Spurs staff were fully aware he had been struggling with illness since Sunday, and revealed his anger over being made a "scapegoat" for the defeat.
He wrote: “Saying i fell ill be4 the game is bull**** i fell ill on sunday morning where the med team put me on antibotics, but only got worse b4 tues.
“Believe me this is 1 game i did no wnt to miss and still devo now!!!! But will not be made a scapegoat saying they only knew jus b4 K O.”

Great now he will want to leave. Harry is ruining our club. Harry Out!

Great now he will want to leave. Harry is ruining our club. Harry Out!

You what? Lol..

Harry is ruining your club? He's got you to the Champions League for the first time in your history. In that first time in the competition, he's taken you to victories over both Milan clubs and into the Quarter Finals where he got stuffed by one of the best teams in the world and one of the best coaches in the world.

What more can he do?

You what? Lol..

Harry is ruining your club? He's got you to the Champions League for the first time in your history. In that first time in the competition, he's taken you to victories over both Milan clubs and into the Quarter Finals where he got stuffed by one of the best teams in the world and one of the best coaches in the world.

What more can he do?

He just got lucky with getting into the C.L.
He bought Crouch-Why?
He made Lennon look like a scapegoat
He never bought a striker in the transfer window yet he was trying to sign Phil Neville
He plays Defoe and Crouch over Pav when he is miles better
He doesn't play Kranjcar even when Bale needs a rest and plays Pienaar ahead of Kranjcar
We haven't scored in the last 2 P.L games against the mighty West Ham and Wigan
He moves Modric the the left so he can accomdate the great Jermaine Jenas

Riiiiight...
Guess you can't please everyone Harry.

I'd put my house on you not saying that if Lennon had said this after Spurs had got a draw or a win last night.

Riiiiight...
Guess you can't please everyone Harry.

I'd put my house on you not saying that if Lennon had said this after Spurs had got a draw or a win last night.

Yeh but I got annoyed as soon as Harry bought Crouch. Even though Harry got us into the C.L I think it is time we get a top class manager so if we dont get into the C.L this season our big-name players like Bale/Modric/Lennon/VDV will stay and the new manager might notice we need a new striker and sell Crouch and Defoe

Defoe is one of the best finishers in the EPL. He's just had a bad season, much like Rooney and Torres.
Crouch is a Target Man with UCL experience and has scored 7 goals in the UCL this season. He's also the entire reason why VDV has been so successful.

He may not use the players you've mentioned, but he signed the likes of Luka Modric, Rafael Van der Vaart, Jermain Defoe (again), Pavlyuchenko, Gomes, Gallas, Bale etc.

You're forgetting about all the good things he did for the club.

He's also the entire reason why VDV has been so successful.

Partly true. VDV would have played differently if Crouch wasn't there, but he would have played just as well, he's a world class player, but I do see what you mean because they link up so well.

From VDV's 12 goals this season, Crouch has assisted 7 of them.

Says alot.

From VDV's 12 goals this season, Crouch has assisted 7 of them.

Says alot.

I didn't disagree with that, I'm just saying that he would have played a lot differently had Crouch not been there, that's the first time he's played with a tall target man and he's changed his game to make it work well.