Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur [19:45 - 05/04/11]

I don't Know if any of you had Ray Wilkins as your commentator (was probably with Sky ) but i just love watching the biased man have to absolutely eat his words, i was astounded by his use of the word "us" and "Go bale" when refering to TOT. I guess it's just another case of Prem-facing.... and yet again England go down to La Liga

On another note Real never plaed that well, as a Madrid fan that prides himself on watching all games I confidently say that under Jose they haven't fully clicked, I hope Jose stays on for the duration of the contract because last night we say the first glimpses of the machine Jose is creating, there is no doubt Madrid can score and their movement is constantly getting better but in time Jose will turn the still shacky backline into a machine, discipline will come and once all is said and done Madrid will be truly amazing.

Totenham dissapointed me, Bale wasn't great (maybe injury caused?), their defence was shody and most of all no one could handle to pressure that is the Bernabeu... a pity really expected the great EPL to be represented a lil better

I don't Know if any of you had Ray Wilkins as your commentator (was probably with Sky ) but i just love watching the biased man have to absolutely eat his words, i was astounded by his use of the word "us" and "Go bale" when refering to TOT. I guess it's just another case of Prem-facing.... and yet again England go down to La Liga

On another note Real never plaed that well, as a Madrid fan that prides himself on watching all games I confidently say that under Jose they haven't fully clicked, I hope Jose stays on for the duration of the contract because last night we say the first glimpses of the machine Jose is creating, there is no doubt Madrid can score and their movement is constantly getting better but in time Jose will turn the still shacky backline into a machine, discipline will come and once all is said and done Madrid will be truly amazing.

Totenham dissapointed me, Bale wasn't great (maybe injury caused?), their defence was shody and most of all no one could handle to pressure that is the Bernabeu... a pity really expected the great EPL to be represented a lil better

i watched them all the time, its nothing to with Jose not clicking, one thing he is brilliant is getting his team running fast. you still look to play ronaldo in all the time, Madrid's play is actually better on the few times he isnt involved. Tottenham were poor. As for the Yet again comment, your other sides fall to english sides fairly often, more accurate to say top 2 sides beat english sides. and even then the stats are still very close:

Since their last victory back in 2003, Real Madrid have faced English opposition on 6 occasions in that time period and have a solitary win (2 now after this game). They also have 4 defeats from those 6 matches.

Valencia haven't won any matches against English opposition in the past 5 seasons (losing the three home matches they've played). Villarreal, too, have a measly 1 goal to show in their last 8 encounters against English opposition.

It's left to Barcelona then but their record isn't as formidable as you might think. In the past five seasons they have 3 victories, 5 draws and 4 defeats against English opposition.

Also no one likes the bias from wilkins, you should probably read the thread..

Last edited:

isn t that the first time in 6 games Real have beaten an english club? didnt they get thrashed 5-0 themselves at anfield not too long ago?

isn t that the first time in 6 games Real have beaten an english club? didnt they get thrashed 5-0 themselves at anfield not too long ago?

it is indeed. read my post above for a bit more detail

i watched them all the time, its nothing to with Jose not clicking, one thing he is brilliant is getting his team running fast. you still look to play ronaldo in all the time, Madrid's play is actually better on the few times he isnt involved. Tottenham were poor. As for the Yet again comment, your other sides fall to english sides fairly often, more accurate to say top 2 sides beat english sides. and even then the stats are still very close:

Since their last victory back in 2003, Real Madrid have faced English opposition on 6 occasions in that time period and have a solitary win (2 now after this game). They also have 4 defeats from those 6 matches.

Valencia haven't won any matches against English opposition in the past 5 seasons (losing the three home matches they've played). Villarreal, too, have a measly 1 goal to show in their last 8 encounters against English opposition.

It's left to Barcelona then but their record isn't as formidable as you might think. In the past five seasons they have 3 victories, 5 draws and 4 defeats against English opposition.

Also no one likes the bias from wilkins, you should probably read the thread..

very good post, Thanks Mike.

In all fairness they've only lost once once in the last three seasons (To Arsenal this year).

In all fairness they've only lost once once in the last three seasons (To Arsenal this year).

I'm aware of that, but i'm using the time set by Real's last win, since thats where he is coming from

Haha well yea Mike you make very good points and don't get me wrong the English Game is strong, it is just not as strong as most their fans claim it to be, I would like to ask where the English teams where at the beginning of the century? Was it not the likes oh Madrid, Valencia and non other than Depo?

I must apologise for my statement that they have dominated English teams, for some reason the EPL fans have short term memory, you all believe the history of football started when ou guys started doing well we always talk about how liverpool beat us,( yes embarrassingly so) but forget to mention how we destroyed manchester in the Old European cup.. Even when it comes to recent history what makes a great team? Beating Spains Elite? well half way there, but then go on and actually win the trophy why not? that seems to be a decent problem in england.

Oh and on the Jose subject, one heck of a manager , yea got us playing quicker no doubt but i still believe we not playing how he ideally wants it I have been an avid follower of both Madrid and Mou for many years and I assure you he will want a more dynamic approach to Reals approach play

Haha well yea Mike you make very good points and don't get me wrong the English Game is strong, it is just not as strong as most their fans claim it to be, I would like to ask where the English teams where at the beginning of the century? Was it not the likes oh Madrid, Valencia and non other than Depo?

I must apologise for my statement that they have dominated English teams, for some reason the EPL fans have short term memory, you all believe the history of football started when ou guys started doing well we always talk about how liverpool beat us,( yes embarrassingly so) but forget to mention how we destroyed manchester in the Old European cup.. Even when it comes to recent history what makes a great team? Beating Spains Elite? well half way there, but then go on and actually win the trophy why not? that seems to be a decent problem in england.

Oh and on the Jose subject, one heck of a manager , yea got us playing quicker no doubt but i still believe we not playing how he ideally wants it I have been an avid follower of both Madrid and Mou for many years and I assure you he will want a more dynamic approach to Reals approach play

Okay so you beat English sides a few times, what do you want a fringing Medal for it.... And didnt see you guides gloating when you failed to get past the last 16 in about 7 years straight. and We always had like 2 or 3 english sides in the 1/8s.

I'm aware of that, but i'm using the time set by Real's last win, since thats where he is coming from

Real hasn't been the best of teams in recent years, though. Long time since they got to QF, never mind semis.

Off to uni now, hopefully I'll be back in time to watch the dying moments of the game at least.

no we dont, stop generalising, thats why you got the response you did. if you actually bothered and took the time to get into discussion you'd realise that isnt even the case. Funny you mention Depo... thats a sad story of its own.

Again tell me where we have said any of that? or do you just believe it becuase you want to? You talk about dynamism, then you dont know Jose at all. He is the ultimate pragmatist, planning for every scenario, not a dynamist at all

Instead of trying to sound superior and bash EPL and its fans, try a conversation instead

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Real hasn't been the best of teams in recent years, though. Long time since they got to QF, never mind semis.

Off to uni now, hopefully I'll be back in time to watch the dying moments of the game at least.

i agree, i wasnt trying to have a go him, merely trying to correct him when he had a go for no reason, if you are back on later, happy to talk about my feelings madrid's lack of success in recent times

Yea had tough couple years, but goes to show even during our hardship we still mad more money,had more visitors and acheived better footballing standards than all you EPL teams... We've had a tough couple years yea its hard not winning that grand cup since 2003 but dam I cant imagine being a Gunner or a Chelsea fan... You guys are having a tough a hundred years

Yea had tough couple years, but goes to show even during our hardship we still mad more money,had more visitors and acheived better footballing standards than all you EPL teams... We've had a tough couple years yea its hard not winning that grand cup since 2003 but dam I cant imagine being a Gunner or a Chelsea fan... You guys are having a tough a hundred years

if you are to gloat and go ona wind up, move on. Also you laid into Capello over your style of football, even though it won you la liga

Hang on here I ain't bashing anyone, and yes i apologise for generalising but it is unfortunately the truth in most cases.

Jose is pragmatic I agree with you , but being dynamic does not mean you are unorganised, if you ever saw his Benfica side you would understand...he then took his controlled approach to Porto in which he had his holders in midfield,ie: Pedro and had his dynamic fullbacks...which he gave freedom to (well as much freedom as Jose knows) although other sectors of his tactics change from team to team this dynamic feature remains constant...Don't confuse dynamism with lack of planning

You have very valid plans and i respect your views... i must apologise for my rash statements. Being a La Liga fan i think i was just releasing some of my frustration from other Prem-faced forums on you guys..

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Also you laid into Capello over your style of football

You see the reason he was laid into was unfair, he was a great manager but we are demanding bunch, unfortunately he paid the price ,we regret that decision but in fairness Calderon was also at fault,

Hang on here I ain't bashing anyone, and yes i apologise for generalising but it is unfortunately the truth in most cases.

Jose is pragmatic I agree with you , but being dynamic does not mean you are unorganised, if you ever saw his Benfica side you would understand...he then took his controlled approach to Porto in which he had his holders in midfield,ie: Pedro and had his dynamic fullbacks...which he gave freedom to (well as much freedom as Jose knows) although other sectors of his tactics change from team to team this dynamic feature remains constant...Don't confuse dynamism with lack of planning

You have very valid plans and i respect your views... i must apologise for my rash statements. Being a La Liga fan i think i was just releasing some of my frustration from other Prem-faced forums on you guys..

I also apologise for my harsh reaction We aren't all the same, for example the Bashing we took from a Ronaldo inspired madrid (original ronaldo) changed how united approached CL from then on, in fact its why we often play 3 man midfield. And if the higher ups were not so arrogant we would have learned more from the continent for our national side

Jose is a pragmatist though, doesnt mean you dont play with freedom, but dynamisn isnt the word.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Also you laid into Capello over your style of football

You see the reason he was laid into was unfair, he was a great manager but we are demanding bunch, unfortunately he paid the price ,we regret that decision but in fairness Calderon was also at fault,

this is what i was going to talk about when i said reals rcent lack of success, for me it stems from their treatment and dismissal of del bosque, something that still riles me

Last edited:
I would love to see Spurs overturn that at WHL. I do feel sorry for them, but to go a goal down early was bad enough but too lose a player like crouchy as well.

I'm wondering what the **** Crouch was thinking committing to the second challenge. It was so dumb I'm wondering if someone knows something. I seriously hope Spurs manage to overturn it at WHL.

When talking about history it is very ignorant not to bring up Italian teams. They have won more European cups than any league. Milan have the best European record IMO. Madrid won first 5 on trot when not many clubs involved. After than they won 4. In the same time Milan won 7. Monster of a team.

I know what you mean about Jose and maybe dynamisn was wrong word, but I think that Jose still won't be satisfied with the way the team are playing, he has got them nice and compact so that his fullbacks can overlap but..(and i know i'll get carrots for this) But Marcelo needs to be beter.. he is doing a superb job don't get me wrong but he needs to get wider when attacking or the likes of Ron,Di Maria and Oezil will ,like last night be crowed and squezed into a packed midfield...which suits lil teams in my leaugue...As we are not like Barce and don't play the passing game quite like them, this 'bunched' affect causes us to become disorganised and somewhat unbalanced

I'm wondering what the **** Crouch was thinking committing to the second challenge. It was so dumb I'm wondering if someone knows something. I seriously hope Spurs manage to overturn it at WHL.

it wont happen, Jose will set his side to defend deep with Ronaldo the high wide outlet and if anything we could see a repeat scoreline

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I know what you mean about Jose and maybe dynamisn was wrong word, but I think that Jose still won't be satisfied with the way the team are playing, he has got them nice and compact so that his fullbacks can overlap but..(and i know i'll get carrots for this) But Marcelo needs to be beter.. he is doing a superb job don't get me wrong but he needs to get wider when attacking or the likes of Ron,Di Maria and Oezil will ,like last night be crowed and squezed into a packed midfield...which suits lil teams in my leaugue...As we are not like Barce and don't play the passing game quite like them, this 'bunched' affect causes us to become disorganised and somewhat unbalanced

I agree with that, though you are harsh on marcelo. think you should look to Ronaldo less, though not for the next leg, he would be my focal point