Recent natural disasters..

• Thread starter Thread starter W4FC B3N
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 4K

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
OK, I don't think I'm over exagerating here when I say that the world is falling to peices around us.. Maybe I didn't read the news enough a few years back but now I read it daily, it seems that every week, there's an earthquake or a Volcano erupting or a tidal wave.. I didn't buy in to the whole greenhouse effect concept but due to recent goings-on it really is worrying me.

Just wondered what everyone else thinks on the subject, is it just a rough patch on the age of the earth or are we really contributing to all these natural disasters? Is the world quickly coming to an end or will it effect our sons and daughters in generations to come more?

Thoughts?

The End of the World in 2012, you have been warned.

I seriously doubt that some minor variations in temperature above the surface are altering the tectonic activity of the Earth causing these earthquakes and volcano. Most likely you just have heightened awareness to such events now, and media coverage is better for such events now and information far more accessible.

I seriously doubt that some minor variations in temperature above the surface are altering the tectonic activity of the Earth causing these earthquakes and volcano. Most likely you just have heightened awareness to such events now, and media coverage is better for such events now and information far more accessible.

Was about to say the same think with the heightened awareness, but changes in the global temp can cause big disturbances in the world.

But tbh, we should be more worried about solar flares. One big one from the Sun hitting earth, and every electric appliance goes bye bye.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this....

On a smaller scale, some of the floods we have seen in this country over the past few years, have probably been happening for thousands of years, but the only reason we realise is because we've built homes on flood plaines.
There are documented catastrophes through out the ages, but as cal says, there is now more media coverage to report this.
Imagine it's 1810, Who the **** in England would hear of earthquakes and mega waves destroying things the other side of the world?

But tbh, we should be more worried about solar flares. One big one from the Sun hitting earth, and every electric alliance goes bye bye.

Agree, but there is nothing we can do about them.. Maybe if we hadn't destroyed the ozone layer as much as we have then it would have less of an effect on us. What someone people don't realise though is that the ozone layer does regenerate but we don't give it enough time to do so.

Agree, but there is nothing we can do about them.. Maybe if we hadn't destroyed the ozone layer as much as we have then it would have less of an effect on us. What someone people don't realise though is that the ozone layer does regenerate but we don't give it enough time to do so.

Well we can find a way to protect our electric appliances from Solar Flare ;). But considering that Countries have huge amounts of electric appliances around, it would be incredibly hard to protect everything.

Was about to say the same think with the heightened awareness, but changes in the global temp can cause big disturbances in the world.

But tbh, we should be more worried about solar flares. One big one from the Sun hitting earth, and every electric appliance goes bye bye.

Oh no not electrical appliances!

Gotta put my 2p worth in here. This 2012 thing that people have been talking about is absolute pants. Nothing more, than a rumour started by some saddo who gets his kicks by scaring people half to death. Imo the biggest threat right now is down to 3 things.
1) Possibility of a major conflict escalating into a nuclear conflict. Could easily happen in Korea, could easily happen in Middle East. Nuclear materials are so easy to obtain now via money, that any despot could build his own bomb(s) and basically cause **** to hit the fan. But there's now so many hotspots, there's a very good chance of all out war taking place.
2) A meteor impact. There's so many being detected now that could wipe out life its scarey. There's at least one due every few hundred years.
3) Yellowstone volcano. When that baby blows, we'll know about it. The impact that eruption will have on the world, will be catastrophic.

Gotta put my 2p worth in here. This 2012 thing that people have been talking about is absolute pants. Nothing more, than a rumour started by some saddo who gets his kicks by scaring people half to death. Imo the biggest threat right now is down to 3 things.
1) Possibility of a major conflict escalating into a nuclear conflict. Could easily happen in Korea, could easily happen in Middle East. Nuclear materials are so easy to obtain now via money, that any despot could build his own bomb(s) and basically cause **** to hit the fan. But there's now so many hotspots, there's a very good chance of all out war taking place.
2) A meteor impact. There's so many being detected now that could wipe out life its scarey. There's at least one due every few hundred years.
3) Yellowstone volcano. When that baby blows, we'll know about it. The impact that eruption will have on the world, will be catastrophic.
agree with most of this

yellowstone scares me most of all, that volcano is geologically speaking, ready to go very soon. And when it does, life on this planet wont ever be the same

agree with most of this

yellowstone scares me most of all, that volcano is geologically speaking, ready to go very soon. And when it does, life on this planet wont ever be the same

pretty much yeah. And still mankind is so unprepared for the eventuallity. Especially considering we're overdue an eruption.

pretty much yeah. And still mankind is so unprepared for the eventuallity. Especially considering we're overdue an eruption.
pretty suprised how little work has come in from the US, especially since they will bear the brunt of it all. They wont start doing anything until its too late

Some people believe that a solar flares will hit the earth and all it will do knock out electrics for about a month world wide.

So for a month with out xbox truly means end of the world

Last edited:
Some people believe that a solar flair will hit the earth and all it will do knock out electrics for about a month world wide.

And there lies the problem. We rely so much on technology that hasn't fully developed, that if you take it away for a month, and we go back to an era similar to the middle ages.

Scientists think a swelling magma reservoir four to six miles (seven to ten kilometers) below the surface is driving the uplift. Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said. (Related: "Under Yellowstone, Magma Pocket 20 Percent Larger Than Thought.")

"At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption," said Smith, who co-authored a paper on the surge published in the December 3, 2010, edition of Geophysical Research Letters.

"But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned."

Studies of the surge, he added, may offer valuable clues about what's going on in the volcano's subterranean plumbing, which may eventually help scientists predict when Yellowstone's next volcanic "burp" will break out.

Hopefully in my next life i will be a bird, this land **** is getting on my ****.

Some people believe that a solar flair will hit the earth and all it will do knock out electrics for about a month world wide.

Its not having no Xbox you want to worry about!
It would cause planes to drop out of the sky, equipment in hospitals to stop working, etc etc

And there lies the problem. We rely so much on technology that hasn't fully developed, that if you take it away for a month, and we go back to an era similar to the middle ages.

yup scary stuff anit it can you survive no fm base for a month

So what natural disasters are caused by the changes in the temperature?

True. But that's like saying we should be worried about large comets & meteors as well.

Global Warming = a bunch of BS Al Gore used to scare the world after he lost the elections... (just kidding)

Climate Change, it happens ,the Earth is old, look at the Ice Age etc, the earth goes through cycles, we are most probably experinencing one of the changes now, we could not have known this 1 billion years ago :) clearly :)

yes humans do pose as a catalyst or even expediter of Climate Change, however, it is inevitable and we are unfortunately in the age of technology etc yet there is nothing we can do about it...

this 2012 Mayan prediction has a lot of people in uproar, the Mayans were a phenomenal race/tribe, they were centuries ahead with their inventions and capabilities...

alot of their predictions have come to pass, however, 2012/12/21 marks the end of their Long Count calender...

it depends on what you believe :) time will only tell...

Back