Revenge of the Bulls - Hereford FC

TheLuckDuck

Reaction score

It's been a while since I wrote a story on here, but I've really enjoyed FM19 and reading some of the stories on here makes me want to do it again, so here goes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 23056
BULLS IN DISARRAY
View attachment 23055

Fans of Hereford FC have today woken up to some shock news, as we here at the Hereford Times report the shock departure of manager Peter Beadle

It is believed that the former Newport County manager has left due to budgetary disagreements with the board

It is a sad day at Edgar Street as it sees the end of Peter Beadle's successful three years at the club where he won three back-to-back league titles, as well as three Hertfordshire County Cup wins and the Midland Football League Cup in 2016.

The news has left fans wondering who could take over as the Bulls look forward to their first season in the Vanarama National League North in just their 4th season as a club

View attachment 23049
HAWKINS SET TO TAKE TEMPRORARY CHARGE
View attachment 23048

Hereford fans' favourite Matthew Hawkins is set to take temporary charge of the club as the board of directors continue their search for a permanent manager

Hawkins, 27, made over 50 appearances for the fledging Bulls side and quickly cemented himself as a fans' favourite until injury forced him to retire at just 26

Since enduring that injury the Welshman had become a part of departing manager Peter Beadle's backroom staff as a coach and was the only member to remain at the club following Beadle's departure

The ex-Bull's loyalty has been rewarded by the board who have entrusted him to guide the club through pre-season until a permanent replacement is found

25th of June 2018
QHDuNYr.png

I'll be honest, up until a couple of days ago the thought of football management never even crossed my mind. Sure, I'd gone into coaching, but that was mainly to help the club and my former boss Peter Beadle, there were no real ambitions beyond that. Yet here I am, manager of Hereford Football Club.

Sure, its only on a temporary basis, but its still something, its still a job. Peter took basically the entire backroom staff with him when he left the club, so they had no real choice but to appoint me as the caretaker. They've thanked me for my loyalty in staying whilst Peter and the others left, really the only reason I stayed is because I didn't respond to the group text quickly enough.

The club have no scouts, no coaches and only 1 physio, but for some reason we have a director of football. The club really need to sort their priorities. Anyway, its basically me, my mate Will who's been appointed assistant and is also our keeper, Tim the director of football, Jonny our physio (we don't see him much) and some kid called Luke who analyses computers or something knocking around Edgar Street waiting for the board to do something.

Like I said, I'm not here permanently. My job is just to make sure the players are (relatively) fit for the new manager, and maybe guide them through some early pre-season friendlies if the board can't find anyone for a couple of weeks. Our schedule is packed over the next few weeks with money spinners against Leeds, Bristol City, Charlton and Burnley before we play some pub teams to get the confidence back up. I expect defeats.

Hereford-Times.jpg

ENCOURAGING PRE-SEASON FOR BULLS DESPITE MANAGERIAL PROBLEMS
logo-hereford-FC-BIG.jpg

Caretaker boss Matthew Hawkins is now into his second month in charge at Edgar Street and over halfway through a fairly encouraging pre-season schedule considering the circumstances

The 27 year old Welshman has lead the Bulls to victory in 4 of their 9 pre-season friendlies as they prepare for the new season

Back-to-back defeats to Leeds and Bristol City were followed by a draw at the Valley against Charlton Athletic before a whopping 6-0 victory at Kings Langley

A 2-1 defeat at Burnley followed before a disappointing 1-0 defeat against Kingstonian before a run of victories, beating Wembley, Halesowen and Pegasus Juniors 4-0, 6-0 and 5-0. The Bulls will round out pre-season away at Stafford Rangers before a home match against Welsh side Cwmbran Celtic

With the season opener at home to Blyth Spartans only weeks away, Hereford are still yet to find a new permanent boss, with numerous candidates rejecting the Bulls, leading many to believe Hawkins may be taking charge of the early season as well as pre-season

BBC_HereWorc_Stk_RGB.jpg

HAWKINS NEW FULL TIME BULLS BOSS
edgar-street-hereford-merton-stand-1532719273.jpg

With just 3 days to go until the start of the season, Hereford have finally announced their new permanent manager, as caretaker boss Matthew Hawkins takes on the role full time

Hawkins, a former Hereford player and coach, took the reigns during pre-season and obviously impressed those in power at the club

He guided the Bulls to 6 wins from 11 games in pre-season, scoring 35 goals in the process and has now been entrusted to keep the Bulls in the Vanarama National League North

Managing director Jamie Watts had this to say:

"Its been tough for Matt so far as he's been left somewhat in the dark with regards to what exactly his role would be this season, that is why we are both happy and relieved to announce him as our new full-time boss.

He's proven himself over the past 2 months and we look forward to working with him as he attempts to keep us in the division"

Hawkins will be on £475 per week at Edgar Street

1st of August 2018Well that was unexpected.

I suppose it wasn't that unlikely seeing as we performed well in pre-season and the fact the board struggled to bring anyone in, but its still surprising. Being a manager is odd, I need to look at people I consider friends more critically than before and there seems to be more responsibility on me than before.

The club's in a good place, we have a 5,000 capacity stadium, which gets solid gates meaning that we have over £700,000 in the bank, I've not been given any for players, but its nice to know that its there

Facility wise, well we're a non-league club. They're ****.

La Masia it ain't.

Still, the squad is decent, well I thought it was. I was handed a team report and it turns out we've got problems.

Personally, however, I don't think the squad is that bad and with the right acquisitions we'll definitely stay up.

We've got some good players in the likes of Keyon Reffell, Eliot Richards, Harvey Smith and Marlon Jackson who'll provide a solid spine, **** we've even got a former Wales international in Ryan Green, although admittedly both of his caps were won 20 years ago

Still, being greenlit as full time manager meant I could get some deals over the line. Welcome to Hereford, Akeal Rehman and Cassian Thomas

These two will play a key role in our direct, route 1 style as we attempt to brute force our way to safety

AUGUST
YuPS8NDf_400x400.jpg

Here goes nothing

VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH
Hereford 3-0 Blyth Spartans
View attachment 22935
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Dinsley 84), C.Thomas (Murphy 60), Richards, Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 78)

2,700 people turned out to see our first game of the season and we didn't disappoint! A man of the match performance from Akel Rehman saw us complete a resounding victory over the Spartans

Nuneaton Boro 1-4 Hereford
View attachment 22934
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murhpy 76), C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill (Hall 85), Jackson (Lam 65)

7 goals, 6 points, 2 wins. This management lark is easy!

Curzon Ashton 0-0 Hereford
View attachment 22931
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (Murphy 75), Reffell (Bird 75), Hill, Jackson

Its not that easy, apparently

Hereford 1-2 Leamington
View attachment 22929
Horsell, K.Thomas, Smith, Cullinane-Liburd, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Murphy 60), Richards, Lam (Reffell 60), Hall (Hill 60), Jackson

Back down to earth

Chorley 1-1 Hereford
View attachment 22928
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (Bird 77), Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 64)

17 shots, and we get hit on the break in the last minute. Of course.

Hereford 1-1 Bradford Park Avenue
View attachment 22927
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Dinsley 89), Richards, Reffell, Hill (Hall 65), Jackson (Smith 65)

This is really starting to worry me now

Chester 1-3 Hereford
View attachment 22926
Horsell, K.Thomas, Green, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 60), C.Thomas, Richards (Bird 60), Reffell, Hill, Jackson

When Chester scored with just over 25 minutes left I was bracing for another poor result, but we managed to turn it around with 2 in five minutes and a penalty to finally get another win

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22925
Not a bad start if you ask me

SEPTEMBER
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

We started well last month, hopefully it continues

Hereford 0-1 York City
View attachment 22749
Horsell, K.Thomas, Green, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Refell, Hill (Hall 75), Jackson (Lam 75)

There's some big clubs down here, with York arguably the biggest. Let's be honest they have no business being this far down the pyramid

Brackley Town 0-2 Hereford
View attachment 22746
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd (Green 73), Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (M.Hall 73), Reffell, Hill, Jackson (Lam 73)

A comfortable away win is always welcome, we were also able to give new signing Mylo Hall his debut

Hereford 0-2 Ashton United
View attachment 22743
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 81), C.Thomas (Bird 81), Richards, Reffell, Hill, Jackson

A poor performance adds to a poor result which Ashton deserved

FA CUP SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND
Hereford 2-1 Coalville United
View attachment 22741
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell (Bird 65), Hill, Jackson (White 65)

We're through, that's all that matters

Hereford 2-0 Spennymoor Town
View attachment 22737
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (M.Hall 75), Richards, Reffell (Bird 75), Jackson

A positive performance and result to end a rocky September

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22735
We just need to stay up

OCTOBER
stream_img.jpg

More fun cup stuff

FA CUP THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND
Hereford 2-2 Bamber Bridge
View attachment 22697
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 66)

Dreadful performance, thankfully Reffell bailed us out at the end but we have to do it all over again

FA CUP THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND REPLAY
Bamber Bridge 1-2 Hereford
View attachment 22696
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell (Bird 66), Hill, Jackson (White 66)

Phew

Stockport County 0-1 Hereford
View attachment 22695
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (M.Hall 59), Reffell (Bird 82), Hill, Jackson

The clash of the clubs with two of the highest attendances in the division ends with a slim victory for us

FA CUP FOURTH QUALIFYING ROUND
Hereford 1-0 Hampton & Richmond
View attachment 22682
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 77), C.Thomas, Richards (Bird 77), Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 86)

The fancy southerners couldn't handle the tough northeners

Hereford 0-0 Southport
View attachment 22681
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (Murphy 69), Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 69)

Massively frustrating

Boston United 3-5 Hereford
View attachment 22680
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 75), C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell (Bird 75), Jackson (White 63)

Fun, fun, fun in the sun. It wasn't sunny though. Still fun

AFC Telford 0-0 Hereford
View attachment 22678
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Hill, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (Murphy 90), Reffell, Hall (M.Hall 63), Jackson (White 63)

The battle of the fords remains a stalemate

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22676
Still looking pretty good lads

NOVEMBER
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

Can we go two months unbeaten?

Hereford 0-2 Altrincham
View attachment 22558
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 64), C.Thomas (Dinsley 64), Richards, Reffell, Hill, Jackson (White 64)

No, no we can't

Hereford 0-2 FC United of Manchester
View attachment 22555
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, M.Hall (Murphy 68), Reffell (Bird 68), Hill, Jackson

Very poor

FA CUP FIRST ROUND
Brackley Town 0-1 Hereford
View attachment 22554
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Murphy, C.Thomas, Richards (M.Hall 64), Jackson, Hill (Bird 36), White

Another poor performance but fortunately we got the result we wanted

Darlington 2-2 Hereford
View attachment 22553
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Dinsley 66), Richards, Jackson, Hall, White (Bird 76)

A dreadful start before an incredible first 7 minutes of the second half had us smelling blood. We just stopped immediately after equalising though

Hereford 1-0 Alfreton Town
View attachment 22552
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (M.Hall 84), Bird, Hill (L.Hall 89), Jackson (White 75)

A poor performance but a good result, again. Its worrying.

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22551
We've slipped outside the playoff spots and may well struggle to return

DECEMBER
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

A month of cups

FA CUP SECOND ROUND
Cambridge United 1-1 Hereford
View attachment 22549
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 85), C.Thomas, Richards, Jackson (Bird 10), Hill (Hall 69), White

We really got away with one here, Cambrdige battered us

FA TROPHY THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND
Hereford 1-1 St Albans
View attachment 22548
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade (L.Hall 79), Murphy, M.Hall (Dinsley 65), Sainty (Richards 65), Reffell, Hill, White

A wealened side somehow grafted its way to a draw to keep us in the FA Trophy

Guiseley 0-3 Hereford
View attachment 22546
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Dinsley 64), Richards, Reffell, Hill (Hall 90), White (Bird 90)

Our first league game of the month and we finally record a win and what a win! A big three goal win away is always welcome

FA CUP SECOND ROUND REPLAY
Hereford 1-2 Cambridge United
View attachment 22545
Horsell, K.Thomas, Smith, Cullinane-Liburd, Hill, Rehman, C.Thomas (Dinsley 70), Richards, Reffell (Bird 70), Hall, White

Our FA Cup adventure ends in a tight clash at home. Its been a good run and we're nearing £1m in the bank

FA TROPHY THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND REPLAY
St Albans 3-2 Hereford
View attachment 22544
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell (Bird 70), Hill, White

Gutted.

Hereford 4-3 Chester
View attachment 22543
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd (Morgan 60), Smith, Greenslade, Rehman, Richards (Bird 70), C.Thomas, Reffell, Hill, White

A new tactic was trialled. I like it, it looks fun. Loanee Ben Morgan made his debut

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22542
Only 2 league games so no real change

Hereford-Times.jpg

INCREDIBLE SEASON SEES FANS FLOCK TO EDGAR STREET

Another great manager under the stewardship of rookie manager has seen Bulls fans flocking to Edgar Street in their hundreds, with the Bulls becoming one of the best supports teams outside of the Football League

Buoyed by 4 wins from the past 5 games, 3,490 packed Edgar Street on a Tuesday night for the visit of Kidderminster Harriers, whom the Bulls had battered 3-0 earlier in January

The 3-0 was followed by a 2-1 win over Chorley over another bumper Edgar Street crowd, before almost 200 made the long midweek trip to Bradford for the 1-0 victory over Bradford Park Avenue

This was followed by a 1-1 draw away at runaway leaders York City before the disappointing home loss to Kidderminster. The Bulls however bounced back from this with a solid 2-1 victory over Nuneaton Boro and an exciting 3-3 draw at Blyth Spartans

This has left Hereford 3rd in the Vanarama National League North and firmly in the promotion picture

View attachment 22539

FEBRUARY
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

We've gained ground recently, can we keep it up?

Hereford 3-1 Curzon Ashton
View attachment 22507
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman (Murphy 89), C.Thomas, M.Hall, Bird (L.Hall 63), Reffell, White (Jackson 82)

Harvey Smith returned to parent club Bristol City this month but we kept our good form as we dispatched of Curzon Ashton with relative ease

VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE NORH
Leamington 0-0 Hereford
View attachment 22506
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards (M.Hall 79), Bird, Reffell, White (Jackson 60)

Smith's replacement from Bristol City's cross-city rivals Rovers, Ben Morgan, really stepped it up today, putting in a man of the match performance away from home

Ashton United 0-1 Hereford
View attachment 22505
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, Richards (Jackson 71), C.Thomas (Lynch 82), Bird, Reffell, White

An early lead promised more goals but we just couldn't find the net

Hereford 2-0 Brackley Town
View attachment 22504
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greensalde, Rehman, Richards, C.Thomas, Reffell, Hall (Bird 70), White (Jackson 64)

A solid home win, nothing spectacular, but the crowds are growing

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22503
Not bad for a team who were meant to finish 19th

MARCH
View attachment 22489
We've got York in our sights, can we catch them?

FC United of Manchester 0-1 Hereford
View attachment 22488
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Bird (Reffell 74), Hall, White (Jackson 74)

A last gasp winner keeps the streak going and gave us a deserved victory

Hereford 4-2 Darlington
View attachment 22487
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greensade, Rehman, C.Thomas (M.Hall 81), Richards, Reffell (Bird 81), Hall, White (Jackson 81)

4-0 up in about 20 minutes shows what this team can do, the final hour showed us at our lethargic worst

Alfreton Town 1-3 Hereford
View attachment 22486
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan (King 86), Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hall (Bird 66), White

The bollocking worked! A dreadful first half followed by an almost immaculate second half saw us get all three points

Hereford 2-1 Guiseley
View attachment 22485
Horsell, K.Thomas (Harris 59), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Bird 59), Richards, Reffell, Hall, Jackson

Another solid win. 15 year old Jamie Harris became the club's youngest ever player

Spennymoor Town 1-2 Hereford
View attachment 22484
Horsell, K.Thomas (Harris 90), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill (Hall 81), White (Jackson 72)

Another win, more game time for a youngster

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22483
The perfect month!

YOUTH INTAKE
View attachment 22482
Here's the lads who came through the youth intake. Some solid players in there.

View attachment 22481 View attachment 22480 View attachment 22479 View attachment 22478 View attachment 22477

That's a quality youth intake there mate! Definitely some youngsters you can bring through in the next couple of seasons!

APRIL
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

This is it

Hereford 0-1 Stockport County
View attachment 22456
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman (L.Hall 73), C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill (Jackson 73), White

7 wins in a row, 29 points from our last 11 games, bumper crowd at home to Stockport. 1-0 loss. Of coures

Southport 0-1 Hereford
View attachment 22455
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Lynch 65), Richards, Reffell, Hill (L.Hall 65), White

We bounce back against the other port

Hereford 3-0 AFC Telford
View attachment 22454
Horsell, K.Thomas (Harris 73), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman (M.Hall 85), C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill, White (Jackson 61)

What a performance! Playoff chasers Telford felt the full might of the Bulls as we properly batter them

Altrincham 1-2 Hereford
View attachment 22453
Horsell, K.Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell, Hill, White (Jackson 66)

Keyon our saviour! We go into the final game of the league season just 3 points behind York with a superior goal difference

Hereford 4-0 Boston United
View attachment 22452
Horsell, K.Thomas (Harris 67), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman (M.Hall 67), C.Thomas, Richards, Reffell (Bird 86), Hill, White

Well we certainly did our bit! York meanwhile, went 1-0 down at home to a tough side in Telford...

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 22451
Telford went 1-0 up after five minutes before a 7th minute red card for their wonderkid Gabriel Tanko saw York beat them 4-1 to secure the title

THE PLAYOFFS
Hereford_F.C._logo.png

By virtue of finishing second we get to play both the semi and (if we make it) the final at home

VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL
Hereford 5-1 Leamington
View attachment 22361
Horsell, K.Thomas(Harris 62), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Bird 73), Richards, Reffell, Hill, White

Well that was easy. It was over inside 40 minutes for Leamington who faced the full might of our attacking prowess. Bit disappointed to concede though

VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH PLAYOFF FINAL
Hereford 2-1 Blyth Spartans
View attachment 22360
Horsell, K.Thomas (Harris 72), Cullinane-Liburd, Morgan, Greenslade, Rehman, C.Thomas (Bird 81), Richards, Reffell, Hill, White

Back where it all began! A home victory over Blyth secured our passage to the Vanarama National. 29 shots, 14 on target. Ten men or not, we deserved this

View attachment 22359 View attachment 22358

So how much do we have to spend?
View attachment 22357
Oh that is filthy

Some player awards
View attachment 22356 View attachment 22355
View attachment 22354