Reviving Deportivo La Coruña

• Thread starter Thread starter RCDAguiar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 256
  • Views Views 95K
Unlucky against Spurs.

Great three seasons in the bag and I'm sure the 4th will be just as good. It has been a fantastic read and as most I loved Depor back in the day when they started showing Spanish football on Sky, so glad to see them doing well.

Also Andreas Pereira and Tadic on free's is awesome. Best of luck and KIU.

Unlucky against Spurs.

Great three seasons in the bag and I'm sure the 4th will be just as good. It has been a fantastic read and as most I loved Depor back in the day when they started showing Spanish football on Sky, so glad to see them doing well.

Also Andreas Pereira and Tadic on free's is awesome. Best of luck and KIU.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the kind words. Yeah, we were great back in the day from 1995-2005. Unreal level of football for such a small club.

Can't wait to see how Pereira fits in!

September 2018 - Derby day!

September 2018 - Derby day!

View attachment 1007872

This month we played our first Champions League game as well as four league games. A chance to see how the new guys have settled in over a prolonged period of games:

Let's dive into the Betis game:

A very clinical performance from the attackers in a game where Betis had the majority of possession and highlights. The defence were all fantastic in keeping the Andalucian club at bay. Tadic continued his fine scoring form by tucking away a Corredera pass from a tight angle. We defended that early lead all the way up until the 80th minute when Zelalem played the most outrageous lofted pass for Seferovic to volley in first-time. It was a supreme goal; so beautiful watching the new guys effortlessly link up. Zelalem is always eager to create. A positive way to start the month!

Olympiacos at home:

Argh, a frustrating start to our CL campaign. We had to win here in order to stand a chance all-round. Olympiacos are the weakest side of the three and we had them at our mercy. Their shooting was wayward while we kept creating concrete chances. They took the lead just after the restart, but new boy Abel Hernandez equalised 11 minutes later with his first goal for the club. The Uruguayan leapt above the Olympiacos defence to nod home a Lucas cross. But that should have been 2-1 and the three points in the bag; not 1-1. Tadic missed a penalty late in the first-half which really derailed his purple patch. An awful start to our CL campaign.

Sporting away...

We salvaged the three points by the skin of our teeth! A superb turnaround despite Sporting's early dominance in the middle third of the pitch. Going into half-time, we were 1-0 down courtesy of a Graziano Pelle one-on-one finish. It looked set to be a poor away performance, until new signing Javi Espinosa (Dominguez's replacement) tapped in from a corner following Pablo Insua's knockdown header. I was willing to take the draw, begrudgingly, until San Emeterio popped up with a stunning cross for substitute Marco Fabián... the Mexican winger was accurate with his finish, as ever, and delivered us the three points with as many minutes remaining!

Celta at home...

7 games against Celta - still unbeaten against them. In my first ever game, I said I never want to lose against them. And I meant that. This was a poor all-round performance: aggressive, murky and just really stop-start. But we took those 3 points with ease. San Emeterio's penetrative run won us the penalty that Abel Hernandez would duly finish in the 57th minute. We shut up shop at that point; sat back, played a rigid and structured game. It's a shame Abel would pick up an injury shortly after. Still, his penalty was enough for the 3 points.

Valencia at home...

Not the best result to end the month on, but Valencia have become a tough team for us. It used to be Villarreal, but now we really struggle against these guys. They're tough to keep at bay due to how clinical Ahmed Musa is. He scored against us AGAIN. Luckily, the double substitution of San Emeterio and Marco Fabián led to our equalising goal 20 minutes from time. The two combined for Fabián to calmly slot the ball past Diego Alves. I'll take that against Valencia.

League table:

END IT ALL NOW! CALL THE SEASON OFF!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 191572

San Emeterio was flawless this month, yet again. He assisted twice, won a penalty and put in crucial defensive performances in the two clean-sheets against Betis and Celta. He's incredible in either half and fast-becoming one of the best players I have ever used in any Football Manager instalment.

Thanks for reading, as ever! Next month, we take on Manchester City, Porto and Real Madrid. It should be an interesting batch of fixtures. 'Til then! Forza Depor!

San Emeterio is amazing as is Saul, I'm sure the so called 'big' teams will start to circle more and more. Do you have a price in mind for any of your star players?

San Emeterio is amazing as is Saul, I'm sure the so called 'big' teams will start to circle more and more. Do you have a price in mind for any of your star players?

On the topic of Saúl, gutted we just loaned him out to Tenerife in real life. Reckon he'll have a part to play in the senior side next year! As for FM, I won't accept anything unless a release clause is triggered. San Emeterio and Saúl are super integral to the way we play!

You can hold that position!! Very good reading thanks for you! Hope you have time to go look mine Jarkko Wiss story :)

Great start to the season, the result to Olympiakos is a tough one to take but given the overal statistics of the match it does seem somewhat fair. Very much looking forward towards the next update as you've got some huge fixtures incoming, I wish you the best of luck!

Love this story! I'm going to do my own deportivo save, I used to notice them a lot in Europe when I was little. So unlucky losing in the final. Some great young players and a squad that can definitely make it to the top! When you become a top top club you should sign Leo back!

Love this story! I'm going to do my own deportivo save, I used to notice them a lot in Europe when I was little. So unlucky losing in the final. Some great young players and a squad that can definitely make it to the top! When you become a top top club you should sign Leo back!

Thanks! We were quite the club back in the day. Small, overachieving side that spent years ******* off the big boys. Miss those days!

Great start to the season, the result to Olympiakos is a tough one to take but given the overal statistics of the match it does seem somewhat fair. Very much looking forward towards the next update as you've got some huge fixtures incoming, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks, man!

October 2018 - the fixtures start to pile up...

October 2018 - the fixtures start to pile up...

View attachment 1008835

View attachment 190749
A strong month overall, despite a defeat to Man City to kick things off.

Man City away...

Absolutely hammered. I think reaching the Champions League knockout stages may just have to wait for another season. Nothing to praise here; City just outclassed us.

Osasuna away...

First time in my tenure that we've played Osasuna. Glad our unfamiliarity with them didn't reflect in the scoreline. We were very good. Lucas' two goals in the space of two minutes early on was enough for us to slow the game down, sit back and frustrate the opposition. Two gorgeous assist from Espinosa and Saúl. 3 points in the bag and a strong way to put that City result past us!

Awful news...

5-6 weeks without Seferovic, 4-5 without Abel Hernandez. Our two strikers. No-one else in the entire squad can play there. I'm going to train Lucas in the position for the time being. Even though he's a striker in real life, the game doesn't seem to recognise that. I think we'll struggle for goals and cohesion in the final third until those guys return.

Real Madrid at home...

No goals was to be expected from us. We created little. In fact, most of the highlights in this game were Real Madrid attacks. What I love is that, if my attack lets me down, my defence rarely does. This was a masterclass in our own third. Every player part of that back four was phenomenal. A strong point. We're starting to get some positive results against the big boys.

Porto at home...

WE SCORED GOALS! In all seriousness, this was a huge result. Porto edged the possession battle and had over double our shots, but we held our own defensively and then a little spurt of attacking magic delivered us the three points. We were 1-0 down going into half-time and looked powerless. With 30 minutes left to play, Andreas Pereira tapped in a sumptuous Saúl cross. Three minutes later, substitute Labyad saw his corner-kick headed in by Deivid. 2-1 in the space of minutes. We turned the game on its head. And then we had to sit back and defend. Porto could not break us down. A huge 3 points and our first win in this CL campaign.

Insua out...

Sprained ankles are killing this team!

Rayo away...

Rotating kills us sometimes. We were dominant here but failed to apply the finishing touch to most of our attacking moves. Tadic's free-kick looked like it would be enough to see us gain another three points... until our players became super tired and Rayo equalised with 5 minutes to spare. Perhaps a tad unlucky, but this is what happens when we're expected to balance more than this club should be! Still unbeaten in the league, though. We'll take that.

Insua renews...

Look at how far Insua has come. In my first season, he played on loan at Leganes in the 2nd division and averaged a 6.55 rating for the entire season as a regular. Due to financial constraints, we promoted him in the 2nd season. He was clearly talented but needed some polishing... fast-forward to now and he's at the same level as Arribas. The two are impenetrable. He's averaged 7+ ratings every season since. He deserved this renewal. A local lad from the academy... it's always nice to see them step up.

Malaga away...

Goals are still hard to come by without a natural striker, but Dusan Tadic smashed in ANOTHER free-kick to bring us the three points. We were wholly dominant, but really failed to establish that via the scoreline. I'm 100% certain that, with Abel or Seferovic, we would have won by a bigger margin. Regardless, it's another three points. We can't complain at all.

Copa del Rey draw...

As always, a very easy side in the first round. Nothing much to say other than it's a welcome fixture for rotation.

League and CL table..

2nd in both. Two tough away games in the CL next: Porto and Olympiacos. Dreading it!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 190738
Lucas stepped up extremely well. He may not have scored during his period up-front, but he was at least facilitating play. We didn't look disjointed at all. Plus, he scored a couple of goals away at Osasuna.

Thanks for reading, as ever! Next month, more Champions League! I wonder how we'll get on without our strikers... it could be crucial. 'Til then! Forza Depor!

November 2018 - A crucial month

November 2018 - A crucial month

View attachment 1009396

View attachment 190233
A fulfilling month domestically, but more heartache in Europe. Let's start with a euphoric victory, though:

Barcelona at home...

A fantastic result and performance for many reasons: we didn't concede, we defended a lead for 89 minutes, they registered just three shots at goal, we went toe-to-toe with them for possession and, of course, picked up 3 points! All it took was, right from kick-off, a mazy run from Labyad followed by a cross for Abel Hernandez - in his first game back from injury - to score 22 seconds into the game. Beautiful header and result. Defensively, we were outrageously good. Vergara, in Insua's absence, has started to make me think about what to make my CB pairing. Arribas and Insua are flawless, but this guy is forcing his way in.

Porto away...

This result hurt a **** of a lot. Porto were dominant from start to finish, peppering our goal with shots... but Fabri kept making some top saves and the defence were throwing their bodies on the line. In attack, we were clinical. Tadic opened the scoring, Porto equalised four minutes later. Fabián - as a sub - then gives us a late lead in the 86th minute, only for Porto to equalise shortly after again. It was frustrating. When Fabián scored, I thought we were going to run away with the most fortuitous win of my tenure as Depor manager. It was not meant to be. This is a result that could kick us out of the competition. A win would have given us hope. On a side note, Zelalem was superb.

Cordoba away...

Heavy rotation was necessary and that took its toll on the final result. Hernandez's missed penalty could have given us the three points, but it was not to be. We did little with possession and created even less. Cordoba did nothing of note and simply sat back to frustrate us. A point is a point, but it should have been more... just like the previous game!

Oviedo away...

Back to winning ways against a side we have never played against in my tenure. Always nice to draw first blood. Tadic kept up his goal scoring ways since joining by opening the scoring yet again. Unlike in the Porto game, we didn't relinquish the lead and instead built upon it. In the 78th minute, after coming on as a sub for the first time in 6 weeks, Seferovic headed in a delightful Saúl cross to bury Real Oviedo and deliver us those precious 3 points. Javi Espinosa in midfield was otherworldly; this is the best midfield we have had and I'm happy all these young guys are performing well.

Olympiacos away...

And, with that, we're practically out of the Champions League. A horrendous result despite taking the lead AGAIN. A second half double from Caseres was enough to dump us out in theory (mathematically, we can do it on the final game). They were much better and perhaps deserved the result, but this is the first time rotating and playing regularly has really hurt us. In previous seasons, we've coped superbly.

League table and CL table...

We have to beat Man City (tough enough) and hope that Porto and Olympiacos draw. A longshot, but we'll try our best. Top of the league by one clear point, though! Unreal achievement. First time we've occupied top spot after 10 games in my tenure. Super proud of this team overall.

Fantastic news...

View attachment 190216
Movember has not been kind to my manager face! In all seriousness, great to have renewed with the club. I never want to leave the club. I want to become the club's most successful manager, create a legacy, return us to the top amongst the best, win our first European title... I basically want to achieve EVERYTHING with my club.

Thanks for reading, as ever! Next month, the nerve-wracking clash against City and some more league games. Can we hold onto that top spot? Our target is still a top 3 finish.

A strange month with some great ups but also some big downs, obviously the result against Barcelona is huge and you are looking very good domestically. Unfortunately things in the CL aren't looking as great, maybe you should try using a different style of play in European fixtures? Still you're not out of the CL yet... just keep fighting and hope for the best!

So this Depor is going to be Spains Mancester United with manager who is there at least 24 years and wins every trophy what if possible to the win in Europe? :)

So this Depor is going to be Spains Mancester United with manager who is there at least 24 years and wins every trophy what if possible to the win in Europe? :)

Haha, that is my dream with this save!

A strange month with some great ups but also some big downs, obviously the result against Barcelona is huge and you are looking very good domestically. Unfortunately things in the CL aren't looking as great, maybe you should try using a different style of play in European fixtures? Still you're not out of the CL yet... just keep fighting and hope for the best!

I'm definitely considering it. We do well in Europa, but struggle hugely in the CL. Worth mentioning we're always 4th seed so it's bound to be really tough! I may devise a new tactic soon!

December 2018 - European disappointment, domestic delight

December 2018 - European disappointment, domestic delight

View attachment 1009673

View attachment 189970
Some smashing results in the league, but Europe tells a different story. Let's dive straight into it:

Sevilla at home...

Superb result with some clinical edge in attack. We had a lot of shots blocked against a deep-block Sevilla defence; it took a bit of Tadic magic to open the scoring. The Serbian winger smashed in a free-kick in the opening 25 minutes to give us the lead. Sevilla equalised shortly after and what ensued was a boring encounter full of blocked shots and nothingness. With Seferovic playing a VERY weak game, Abel Hernandez made a sub appearance with 27 minutes left. In the 83rd minute, with nothing really happening, Lucas whips in a stunning cross from deep and Hernandez is on hand to volley home. A fantastic way to end a drab game. Hernandez has impressed me a lot more than Seferovic, surprisingly enough.

Logroñes away...

We didn't rotate as heavily as I initially hoped, purely because I felt like we would struggle if so - changing so much for this game and then a league game would probably contribute to a narrow win here and draw against Levante. I stuck to my guns, changed some small things, and ended up with a 3-1 victory. Nothing emphatic or special, but enough to know we'll be going through to the next round. Seferovic opened the scoring with a fine long-range strike after Arribas' lay-off. Again, we spent most of the game having our shots blocked. In the 2nd half, Logroñes scored. I was worried that there was going to be an upset on the cards... until super sub Tadic wins a penalty (Lucas scores) and then whips in a corner for Arribas to emphatically crush past the goalkeeper. A late flurry of goals. One foot in the next round!

Levante at home...

Fantastic result to decimate a Levante side with A LOT of bite. Despite their lack of goals here, they did have some golden chances. Fabricio made 5 saves, all in batches: a triple and double save. Both in between our goals. He was key in this result. Seferovic scored another goal, thankfully, and Lucas kept up his fine form this month. Both headed goals from inside the box. A good 3 points going into the Man City game.

City at home...

And so ends our European journey this season. Yes, you read that right European journey. We didn't make it into Europa because of head-to-head. I was hoping to drop back into it and have another successful run like last year. This is a huge wake-up call. We need to shift our tactics around in the Champions League. We're the 4th seed; our groups are always going to be tough. But that should never rule us out. Here, City were the better side and deserved their goal. Even if we had won, Porto did so too. It wouldn't have granted us passage to the next round. We learn from our mistakes and we will grow.

Confirmation:

5 points. Not good enough.

If goal difference was the deciding factor, we would've finished 3rd... oh, well.

Athletic away...

A phenomenal turnaround when morale was clearly low after the City result. After going 2-1 down, you could not have blamed the players for switching off. But they didn't. They fought harder. Labyad's strike from a tight angle, assisted by Corredera, gave us the lead early on... it was cut off by Williams' goal just before half-time. Early into the 2nd half, we found ourselves down courtesy of a powerful Raul Garcia header. Up steps Corredera, knocking in from a corner after a goalmouth scramble. 7 minutes later, San Emeterio fires in his specialty: a pin-point cross... the big man Seferovic knocks in and cements the full turnaround. He and Hernandez have been unbelievable this month! Another important goal from the Swiss striker!

Logroñes at home...

An explosive first-half was enough to put this tie beyond Logroñes and deliver us another victory for the month. Fabián and Lucas prospered from two flawless Antonio Luna crosses for 2-0 in 30 minutes. Abel Hernandez beat the offside trap 5 minutes later after a long-ball from Mosquera... the Uruguayan expertly tucked it past the goalkeeper. In the second-half, just to wrap things up, Lucas is felled in the box and Abel doubles his tally with an emphatic penalty. 7-1 on aggregate. Not too shabby.

We find out our opponents for the next round...

AGAIN? Give us a break. We never get an easier side in the fifth round. Aside from the first season, we've now played Real Madrid and Barcelona twice! I actually want to end this trophy drought...

Real Sociedad away...

Another superb turnaround. TWICE! Granero gave Real Sociedad the lead early on. It took us 62 minutes to equalise with substitute Fabián going on a mazy run and tucking the ball past Kivrak. 4 minutes later, the comeback was complete: Abel Hernandez expertly volleyed in a Saúl cross. It looked like another fantastic result against a Basque side... until Granero decided to score again in the 71st minute. This could have derailed the team. It could have spurred on Real Sociedad. The pendulum swung our way. In the 88th minute, when things looked beyond us, Andreas Pereira picked up the ball near the centre circle, dribbled past a couple of players and smashed a shot from 30 yards out. Not only did this goal give us the 3 points in beautiful fashion, it was the best goal scored in my tenure AND won goal of the month. A great way to end the game and month. On a side note, Pereira is a phenomenal. Can't believe we picked him up on a free. He's been the most impressive midfielder this year.

League table:

So close to the halfway point and there we sit, top of the league. 3 points clear. Wow.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 189957

This was a toss-up between the Uruguayan and Seferovic. It was tough, but I had to look at how many goals each player scored this month and how important the goals were. Abel had four, Seferovic three. Abel scored in the turn around against Real Sociedad and provided us with a win against Athletic earlier on in the month. He just about edges it. Nothing beats having two strikers in scintillating form. Makes for healthy rotation.

And so ends the month of December! In January, we may be making a new signing... who knows?! One thing's for certain: we play both Copa legs against Barcelona. 'Til then! Forza Depor!

10 points clear of Barca! Wow! You're on fire, and being out of Europe could be a blessing in disguise, you have a serious shot at the title here!

10 points clear of Barca! Wow! You're on fire, and being out of Europe could be a blessing in disguise, you have a serious shot at the title here!

Very true! I'll keep fighting for it, but it'll be super tough!

Best FM16 manager story on this forum. In terms of building of the side and the layout of your posts, this is superb.

Back