Reviving Deportivo La Coruña

• Thread starter Thread starter RCDAguiar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 256
  • Views Views 95K
Read the whole thing... Best story on fm 2016 i swear. Go for the title this year

Wow. Thank you for the kind words! And I will certainly try, although it's tough when you break 90 points and still don't win it!

November 2019 - A short but sweet month

November 2019 - A short but sweet month

View attachment 1015225

View attachment 184970
A mixture of fantastic results and mediocre ones. Luckily, no losses. Let's look at the first clash:

Atletico away...

A masterclass defensive performance - we reduced Atleti to potshots and long-range strikes. It was fun to watch. San Emeterio was flawless, covering his entire flank with great tackles and positioning. Early on, Andreas Pereira smashed in a free-kick. We took that goal and lead all the way to the final whistle. A resolute performance and a huge 3 points. We look like a different animal this season.

Bayern away...

If we're looking at isolated and singular results, this is up there with the very best in my tenure. To hold the reigning European champions to a draw AWAY FROM HOME is something else. Ridiculously proud of my boys. Insua impressed me - he continuously kept a lid on their forwards and ensured that we conceded just the one goal. Seferovic's slalom run, following Corredera's inch-perfect pass, delivered us the lead early in the 2nd half. It was unfortunate to concede with just 19 minutes to go... but then you realise it's Bayern Munich and you've just amassed a draw! Cracking result, especially after having played just 4 days earlier!

Cadiz at home...

First time we've played Cádiz on this save. Unfortunately for them, it was nothing to be remembered. We won routinely, keeping another clean-sheet and scoring the customary three. The team was rotated almost entirely but still performed to a high level. Hernandez leapt above everyone in the box to open the scoring after just 9 minutes. Espinosa then rifled in a long-range strike from Correa's pass. The 2nd choice right-back would turn provider again, launching a pinpoint cross to Tadic who sealed the three points with an easy tap-in. Easy as you like.

Real Sociedad at home...

A bit of a disappointing result, but Real Sociedad were very good. We defended in outstanding fashion, yet again, to keep another clean-sheet in the league! Every single defender was on his job. Any other day and we would have lost this. We'll take it.

PAOK away...

Ideally, beating PAOK would have been better. It would have granted us progression to the knockout rounds, irrespective of what happens against Man City on the final game. Now we need to go to the Etihad and hope for a draw. Another clean-sheet, though! I love defensive solidity.

Someone renewed his contract...

From fledgling academy player to undisputed first-team starter, Corredera's progression has astounded me. He is always creating chances, ensuring that we do the most with possession. Whether he's playing as a deep-lying playmaker or advanced playmaker, rest assured his contribution to the side will be huge. Such low wages for a key player. Add an extra 5 years to that contract!

MONIES??!?!?!?!?

11m transfer budget increase. Expect us to make a big January signing if we're still in the Copa/CL and in contention of winning the title. I think we can get some silverware this year. I honestly do. This money will go toward fulfilling that.

League table and CL:

2pts clear at the top of La Liga, ahead of Man City on goal difference. A draw will be enough to see us progress to the knockout stages for the first time in my tenure.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 184961

Insua was stunning. Another academy kid who is now a star. Both he and Arribas have carved out a formidable partnership. Just look at our clean-sheet rate domestically!

Next month, tune in to find out if we squeeze through to the knockout stages of the Champions League and also how our first round of the Copa del Rey goes! Domestically, can we keep up this run of clean-sheets? 'Til next time, Forza Depor!

This story is as brilliant as ever, fantastic stuff! Definitely in contention for silverware on all fronts this season, even Europe with a bit of luck!

This story is as brilliant as ever, fantastic stuff! Definitely in contention for silverware on all fronts this season, even Europe with a bit of luck!

Fingers crossed! Thanks for reading, you've been ever-present since the first month!

December 2019 - the perfect Christmas gift

December 2019 - the perfect Christmas gift

View attachment 1015641

View attachment 184587

A huge month with 7 games played, completely unbeaten in them all. Only two goals conceded + 5 clean-sheets.

Before diving into the results, some good news:

Really happy to have renewed one of our best players. He deserves it - the wages aren't too crazy, either. Had to bump up his release clause to 12.5m because several clubs were sniffing around. Anyhow, nice to have him on board for five more years!

Rayo away...

A dominant display and extremely crazy first-half. Seferovic opened the scoring after Pereira put him clean through on goal... he then turned provider for Tadic's goal. Saúl was sent off as the half was drawing to an end; I was expecting to struggle from there on out. Alas, we did not struggle. Pereira latched onto a San Emeterio cross late in the half to give us a 3 goal lead and the 3 points. Late on, after exerting a slow and controlling style of play, Seferovic added insult to injury when he hit a stunning bicycle kick from San Emeterio's menacing cross. 4-0, easy.

Numancia 1st leg away...

Far from convincing, but we can't expect much when he entire starting 11 is rotated! I always do this in the first leg and it's yet to back fire. This was a drab game with very little happening. It took Seferovic coming on for our first goal to arrive, 6 minutes from the final whistle. A nice away goal. The 2nd leg should be comfortable.

Athletic at home...

I think Abel wanted to prove that Seferovic shouldn't be undisputed first choice. His performance was utterly fantastic. The first goal came after a stunning slalom run, whereas the second a display of calm with an expertly taken penalty. He was flawless and single-handedly delivered us the three points. Correa, by the way, has been excellent whenever San Emeterio is suspended/needs a rest. He's constantly assisting and defending well. I love having a productive second choice.

City away...

Thank you, Manchester City, for the perfect Christmas gift. We were terrible, but they gifted us a lovely Imbula own-goal after Seferovic's low cross. Despite their late attempt to carve us open, we knew we were going through. City HAD to win so, as soon as the own-goal went our way, we sat back and defended our backsides off. Disappointed not to get the clean-sheet but we held Man City for 83 minutes. Most importantly WE ARE THROUGH TO THE KNOCKOUT STAGES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A DECADE!!!!!!

Woohoo!

The table:

We qualified in a group that contained Man City and Bayern Munich. And against those two teams, we were able to walk away from their grounds with points. That, to me, speaks volumes of our progression.

Who did we draw, you ask?

This will be very tough. Just peeked at Dortmund's team and they have the likes of Vietto, Tielemans... I'm a bit worried but, with a bit of luck, maybe we can progress. We're already overachieving. I love the underdog status attached to our name.

Back to reality, Villarreal away...

Another away victory, another clean-sheet. Domestically, we are storming everything. We're still yet to lose a game too. Corredera scored an outstanding free-kick inside the opening 3 minutes to instil fear in the Villarreal defence. They decided to sit back as we struggled to pick them apart. In the 50th minute, Abel Hernandez (playing on the wing) dribbled past a couple of players and crossed for our Swiss hitman, Seferovic, who struck a half-volley past Bleve for 2-0 and 3 points.

Numancia 2nd leg at home...

Nice little first-half flurry of goals to kill off the 2nd tier minnows. Seferovic's double, either side of Tadic's goal was enough to down Numancia. Both of Luna's crosses were headed in by the Swiss forward, whereas Tadic's finish came from a long Labyad pass. Easy as you like, off to the next round we go...

We will face off against:

Our bogey team, Valencia. We can never seem to beat them, but at least we've avoided Barcelona/Real Madrid for once. Maybe this is the year!

Espanyol away...

Another blitz of goals in the first-half, another batch of goals for Seferovic. What a season he is having! Baptistao who? He tapped in a Lucas cross, calmly slotted in a one-on-one and then turned provider for Abel who headed an easy goal in. Conceding ruined our perfect run of clean-sheets in the league, but I suppose we have to let one in every now and then! 3 points to wrap up the month.

League table...

4 points clear at the top and only 6 goals conceded all season. We are having one **** of a campaign, nearing the halfway mark. Still a lot to play for, but good omens are welcome!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 184567

He joined at a time where we had just been raided by Spurs for Baptistão. I didn't expect much from Seferovic and kind of resented having him around... but what a striker he's turned out to be! He's done more for the club, in terms of goals, than Baptistão did. Top scorer last season and well on his way to replicate that this season. 8 goals in 7 games this month will only help add toward that tally. He's something else.

Next month, we will take on Valencia to see if we can progress to the next round and get one step closer to silverware. We may also make a signing or two considering the transfer budget increase. Regardless, it should be a tasty January! 'Til next time! Forza Depor!

January 2019 - A new signing?

January 2020 - A new signing?

View attachment 1016026

View attachment 184229

One **** of a fixture-heavy month with some impressive results. We'll dive into those games after we look at a particular departure and arrival:

We sold Fabián. He was ageing, no longer playing regularly and becoming disgruntled at his squad status. No hard feelings with him departing. The money is quite good considering his contract would have been up in the summer. He was one of our first signings and completely redeveloped our attack for the first couple of seasons. He was an accurate shooter and extremely productive. I wish him the best of luck back in Mexico!

Fabián's 4 years in numbers:

That 2nd season was immense.

His replacement...

What an impeccable signing! Alen Halilovic for 9m is an absolute steal and I'm delighted we were able to pick him up. He'll be the replacement for Fabián and will actually play regularly on the flanks. Excited to see how he turns out.

Halilovic's stats:

Impeccable stats! He looks like one **** of a player after 5 seasons. He may not make a huge impact this season, but I'm expecting him to flourish after the summer!

Back to the games, Valencia at home...

And there's our first loss of the season after a crazy amount of games. The unbeaten run stretched all the way back to April last season which is mind-blowing. Valencia are our bogey team - we struggle to contain their attack and subsequently fail to break them down too. Seferovic equalised from a San Emeterio cross after Musa opened the scoring. Negredo killed us in the 2nd half - Saúl's red card allowed Valencia to swarm us. Disappointing start to the month.

Valencia at home (1st leg, Copa del Rey)...

Retribution! Revenge! etc. etc. A strong result, denying Valencia an away goal. Abel Hernandez's late header after a tight affair was enough to give us the lead in this tie. One step closer to the quarter-finals. Andreas Pereira was tantamount to absolutely everything we created, including the assist for Hernandez's goal. Pereira has become one **** of a star.

Celta at home...

Completely dominant but lacked the clinical pedigree to register another win over Celta. They were seriously poor. Still, it took us until the 79th minute to equalise when Swiss forward Seferovic pounced on a defensive mistake, dribbled past two players and smashed one in from outside of the box. We needed a bit of magic and it was delivered to us. I have now overseen 10 games against Celta, yet to taste defeat. A disappointing point, but it could have been worse.

Valencia away...

A loss on the night but... AWAY GOALS DICTATES THAT WE GO THROUGH TO THE QUARTER-FINALS! An own-goal put us one step ahead, Seferovic put the tie beyond Valencia with a stunning volley on the turn. Valencia's late blitz of goals was scary, but we withstood as much as we could and qualified for the next round by the skin of our teeth. The Copa del Rey dream is well and truly alive!

And we draw...

Another big team avoided! Granada will be tough to crack...

Osasuna away...

After the tiresome and physically demanding performance against Valencia, it's only expected that we would struggle to keep up with Osasuna. Luckily for us, when running isn't working, our defence is forever resolute. Disappointing to draw yet again and now be on a three game streak without winning in the league, but a point is a point. We're not at all greedy!

Labyad renews:

Labyad's contract was up in the summer. He may not feature regularly, but he is a fine backup to have on the wings and in midfield. Crucial that we kept him around as a quality back-up.

Granada at home (1st leg Copa del Rey)...

Tadic and Lucas put the game beyond Granada while the whistle was still echoing around the stadium. The Serbian winger tapped in a Correa cross, Lucas volleyed Luna's cross with aplomb. 2-0 after 7 minutes. Tadic added to his tally with a finely taken one-on-one to give us the perfect 3-0. Unfortunately, Granada grabbed an away goal late on to make the 2nd leg a tad interesting.

Real Oviedo at home...

Our first league win of the month. Finally. It's been tough juggling Copa and Liga in such a short space of time, but hopefully the struggle is now over. 3 goals in the first-half was enough to down a poor Oviedo side. Halilovic scored his first goal for the club - a long range curler that doubled our lead. Seferovic added a third just before half-time when he pounced on a superb Pereira cross. Easy 3 points. Back to winning ways.

Granada away (2nd leg Copa del Rey)...

A loss on the night but... WE ARE THROUGH TO THE SEMI-FINALS OF THE COPA DEL REY! COULD THIS BE THE YEAR THAT WE END OUR BARREN RUN OF TROPHIES? Tadic's early goal from a tight angle proved to be more than enough to tip the tie in our favour. Always awful to lose a game, but I tend not to care in cup competitions if we're going through thanks to a great result in the first leg. For me, that's a strong way to end the month.

And we draw...

The current holders of the Copa. This is arguably tougher than drawing Real Madrid/Barcelona. Seriously. We're in for **** before we can make the final.

League table:

Still top of the league, ahead of Barça on head-to-head. Those draws have brought the Catalonian club one step closer to us. We need to build a gap again!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 184199

Pereira assisted a few goals but his greatest strength was the constant creating of chances. He was utterly flawless in the final third and, if our attack had been more clinical this month, would have picked up 7+ assists. If you're wondering why his happiness is low: San Emeterio is annoyed that we failed to strengthen in January (even though I signed Halilovic) and that anger spread to some of the other players. Fortunately, I have somewhat sorted it out. I think winning something this year would keep our star players happy.

Next month, we take on Dortmund in the Champions League, Real Madrid in the league and two legs vs Atleti in the Copa. It's another stacked month. 'Til then! Forza Depor!

Last edited:
I just got caught up on this and it's awesome so far.

Good to see you doing so well--hope you win the league. You're certainly on track to do it.
How are Borja san Emeterio's ratings for you now? I was inspired to sign him as my right-back of the future on my Villareal save, and he looks like he could become incredible.

I just got caught up on this and it's awesome so far.

Good to see you doing so well--hope you win the league. You're certainly on track to do it.
How are Borja san Emeterio's ratings for you now? I was inspired to sign him as my right-back of the future on my Villareal save, and he looks like he could become incredible.

He does become incredible. His stats increase very quickly and he has averaged 7.4+ rating ever since he arrived at the club aged 19. He always grabs 10+ assists every season, too. Very, very good player.

February (2020) - So many matches!

February (2020) - So many matches!

View attachment 1016655

View attachment 183650
Mixed emotions this month. Without spoiling anything, let's get right in to it.

Cordoba at home...

1-0, but it could have been a **** of a lot more. We were profligate in front of goal against a meek Cordoba side. Fortunately, Seferovic's early goal was enough to win us the game. He picked up a stunning long-range pass from Pereira and slotted it past Cros.

Seferovic broke a record...?

Incredible feat from Seferovic, especially after there were question marks over his arrival. He has made us forget about Baptistão. ****, he's been an upgrade on our former hitman.

Atleti away (1st leg Copa del Rey)...

A disappointing result in the opening leg of this semi-final tie, especially after Seferovic's early headed goal. Fabricio ruined us, dropping two absolute clangers for their goals. Defensively, we were actually quite good. Vergara was outstanding at the heart of the defence, yet again, but Fabricio undone everyone's good work. What could have been a huge away win and step to the final, turned out to be a poor result. We have it all to play for in the 2nd leg.

Malaga away...

3 points, 3 goals in 3 games from Seferovic. Far from perfect all-round, but yet another clean-sheet. The Swiss forward tapped in Tadic's cross early in the 2nd half to mark the difference. We've been unconvincing this month, but the points are flowing in the league.

Atleti at home...

And there we have it... we're out of the Copa del Rey. 90 minutes away from reaching the coveted final and we failed. This one hurts badly. We could have made it to the final for the first time since 2002. Atleti defended excellently - as did we - and both sides subsequently failed to break the other down. All we needed was one goal. We'll be licking our wounds for a while.

Sevilla at home...

For a short while, this seemed as though it was going to be a poor result. Hernandez missed a penalty in the 5th minute and we found ourselves 1-0 down after 27. Luckily, a late first-half blitz of goals put the game beyond Sevilla. Andreas Pereira smashed in a free-kick to equalise the game and, minutes later, Halilovic contributed with his 2nd goal of the season - a fine finish after a mazy run. Early in the 2nd half, Hernandez made up for that missed penalty by heading in a Correa cross. After a whirlwind start, the three points were easy to come by. Can we win the league? I'm starting to convince myself that we can.

Betis at home...

Even when he isn't scoring, Haris Seferovic is an absolute treasure. Seriously. He created a few chances, assisting Zelalem's goal in the 68th minute. We had another one of those games where we couldn't hit the target - Betis themselves weren't too bad either. A tighter game than I had expected but, yet again, a big 3 points. Another clean-sheet in the league. We have barely conceded any goals in the league this season.

Dortmund at home...

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a result! 31-year-old Lucas, with the captain's armband wrapped around his bicep, came on for the 2nd half and blew Dortmund off the park. Two goals of extremely high quality sent a message to our German opposition: we may be underdogs, but there's a reason why we've come as far as we have. One huge step toward the Champions League quarter-finals. Can't believe we kept a clean-sheet against a star-studded Dortmund attack. This was a level game pushed in our favour by local lad Lucas. Love that.

Real Madrid away...

A very disappointing way to end the month; Madrid clubs have absolutely derailed us this month. This could very well harm our title challenge and lead at the top. We have to hope that the team can bounce back next month and not fall into a slump similar to last season. Lucas scored yet again but the damage had already been done prior to his finish.

League table:

3 points clear, 12 games left to play. Can we do it? We still have to play Barcelona and Atletico...

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 183638
Vergara was absolutely outstanding this month. I've had him rotating with Arribas because he has become disgruntled at being a 3rd choice option. Arribas is also ageing so it's the best thing to regularly play both next to Insua. Vergara played a key part in some of our greatest results this month. Many of the clean-sheets were largely down to his expert interceptions and aerial abilities.

Next month, we take on Barcelona AND Atletico Madrid in what may turn out to be the month that derails or cements our title challenge. Everything hinges on this month. Oh, we also play Dortmund in the 2nd leg. A big, big month. Can't wait to update you all. 'Til then! Forza Depor!

March 2020 - A big, big month

March 2020 - A big, big month

View attachment 1017398

View attachment 182986
A month of letdowns followed by ecstasy. Before we dive into the results, I have a new regen I want to show off:

A nice little talent from youth intake day. May eventually integrate him as back up to San Emeterio!

Levante away...

Another clean-sheet in the league, another win. This was a perfect away victory. Jherson Vergara's header from Tadic's free-kick opened the scoring early on before Abel Hernandez doubled our lead (with a calm 1v1 finish) and cemented the victory with a finely struck penalty late on. Top all-round performance.

Barcelona at home...

A very disappointing result for many reasons: we were playing at home, we took the lead early on and it gives Barcelona a chance to catch up in the title race. This one hurt badly. Abel's header was not enough to compete against Suarez's masterful finishing at the other end. Hope this doesn't derail our title aspirations like it did last season.

Atleti at home...

Another horrendous result for our title aspirations. Barcelona allowed to get ahead of us with our two winless league games. That sums up how tough it is to win the title in Spain. You are not allowed any room for error. All it takes is two games and, boom, Barça are back at the top after months of us spearheading the league table. Alen Halilovic scored a stunning long-ranger which was rendered useless after Atleti's goal late in the first-half. We then struggled to break down a resolute defence in the 2nd half and had to settle for a poor result.

Dortmund away...

Finally! Some good news! WE ARE THROUGH TO THE QUARTER-FINALS OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!! One **** of a result at one of the toughest grounds in Europe. I didn't even think we could beat Dortmund, let alone remain unbeaten in both legs against them. This was a pure smash and grab. We set up to play defensively and on the counter. Initially, I thought it had hurt us when Dortmund opened the scoring. Going into half-time, the German side needed just one goal to equal the tie. I stuck to my guns with the counter-attacking formation and, just after the whistle was blown for the 2nd half to start, Hernandez latched onto a poor pass from the Dortmund defence and lashed a strike past Timo Horn. 1-1 on the night, 3-1 on aggregate. A nice little away goal too. Dortmund proceeded to attack, shoot, attack, shoot etc. but we repelled every single chance of theirs. One **** of a defensive performance from everyone involved.

And our opponents in the quarter-final...

Monaco! They will be extremely tough, having demolished every single opponent in the competition thus far. Remember our semi-final tie against them in the Europa League? We came out victorious in that one. They've improved a lot (squad wise) since, so I'm not expecting a repeat. Still, our fairytale dream continues!

Granada away...

A strong way to end the month. Nice to be back among winning ways after the last two league games. This one was far from easy. The game was tight and could have gone either way, but luckily for us we were extremely clinical. Seferovic and Zelalem both scored identical goals from tight angles before Granada pulled one back. We then retreated to a defensive system and saw out the one-goal lead. A strong 3 points above all else.

League table...

Luckily, Barcelona dropped points when we did too. In fact, they completely bottled the opportunity to go top of the table. 3 points clear, 8 games to go. We still have to play our bogey team Valencia and eternal rivals Celta Vigo. Can we do it?

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 182973

It was a big month for Abel Hernandez. I wanted to give him a prolonged run of games, even though Seferovic was in red hot form. He didn't let me down and repaid my risk tenfold. Abel scored 4 goals - two to win us the game vs Levante, one against Barcelona (always tough) and the one that sealed Champions League progression against Dortmund. I love this guy. I didn't expect much when I signed him, but he is the perfect second choice striker.

Next month, tune in as we take on Monaco in the quarter-finals and play 5 league games toward the title. It's set to be another huge month. 'Til next time! Forza Depor!

April 2019 - A bitter pill to swallow

April 2019 - A bitter pill to swallow

View attachment 1017941

View attachment 182536

A very, very tough month to take but it gets better towards the end.

Cadiz away...

Biggest shock defeat of the series thus far? I'd say so. Cádiz, who were 18th in the league at the time, had a mere two shots all game. Yet the both went in. We failed to put any past their goalkeeper despite the 15 shots. We can't afford to drop points with the league title in sight, yet my players went ahead and bottled this one. Starting to think we'll need a miracle to win this title.

Monaco away...

Monaco are an outstanding side. I'm disappointed that we shipped in five goals, but I'm glad we hit back with 3 of our own. We found ourselves 2-0 down after 8 minutes. 3-0 down after 15. Luna then scored directly from a cross to restore hope in our chances of progressing to the next round, until Willian scored early in the second half for 4-1. Seferovic then proceeded to grab a brace of headed goals leaving the game beautifully poised at 4-3. I would have taken that. But Arribas misjudged a header in the final minutes which allowed Falcao clean through on goal to double Monaco's lead and put the French side one step closer to the semi-finals. A disappointing result considering goals conceded, but it was always going to be tough. I'd rather lose 5-3 than 2-0 in two-legged ties with away goals.

Rayo at home...

Finally, a win! After two disappointing losses, it was about time we got back on track. Domestically, we simply cannot afford any more slip-ups. Corredera ensured that would not be the case when his long-range strike early on nestled into the back of the net for 1-0. Abel Hernandez then rounded off a superb first-half performance when he tapped in San Emeterio's cross. 2-0. Nice and easy. 3 points toward the title hunt.

Monaco at home...

18 shots against ten men. No goal scored. This was a really toothless and subdued performance. Very disappointed yet again, but I suppose it allows us to focus solely on the league with just six games remaining. San Emeterio could have had a hat-trick of assists. He was the beacon of light for us in this game. Everyone else was poor. 6-3 loss on aggregate. Our first Champions League quarter-final in my five years at the club. Happy to have gone this far, but we're hungry for more.

Real Sociedad away...

Perfect bounce-back from disappointment once again. I love the strength of our mentality. Can't remember the last time we lost three in a row. We always turn it around before things get ugly. This was a masterful attacking performance. We buried Real Sociedad in the space of 30 minutes. That's all it took to run away from San Sebastián with three points. Tadic slammed in a free-kick before Abel Hernandez assisted Rani Khedira for his first Deportivo goal ever and 2-0. Then, the best moment of the game: in his debut, regen right-back Nestor Pillado assisted Tadic with a jaw-dropping cross. As I said last month, I think this kid has a future at the club - either as back up to San Emeterio or eventually replacing him if the star of the show jumps ship! Big 3 points. Every win now feels like a big step toward cementing myself in the club's history books.

Athletic Bilbao away...

Big, big, big, big GOAL from Abel Hernandez. Seriously. If we win the title this season, I will forever remember this goal. It was a tight affair, as always, against a resolute Athletic side. Abel Hernandez gets 30 minutes as a substitute to make a difference. Deep into added time (2 mins had been prolonged), Andreas Pereira slips Hernandez in with a sumptuous through ball... the Uruguayan shows us his BALLS OF STEEL by burying a one-on-one in the dying embers. 1-0, 3 points. Smash. And. Grab. What a win!

Villarreal at home...

A very strong way to end the month against a side we used to struggle against quite heavily! Seferovic scored early in the first-half with a fine curled finish from just outside the box. San Emeterio then won a penalty late on, after we had spent the entirety of the game missing chances for fun, which Tadic aptly finished with consummate ease. 4 clean-sheets in the league this month. Still, that Cadiz result leaves a bitter taste. Let's look at the table:

League table...

3 games remaining. Level with Barcelona on points AND head-to-head (we beat each other 2-1) so it goes down to goal difference. We play Valencia, Celta and Espanyol in the final games. Barcelona still have to play Real Madrid. My main concern is Valencia always have a knack of beating us + Celta is always an unpredictable tie. We can't even afford to draw if Barcelona win all three. Will we win it? What do you guys think?

Next month, tune in to the BIG ONE. And I mean big. We could win the title, we could bottle it. If we win, it'll be only the 2nd time the club has won it in our history. To be the manager to do it the 2nd time would be mind blowing. And in just 5 years on a shoestring budget! Please do keep your eyes peeled for the next update. FORZA DEPOR!

May 2020 - Do we win the title?

May 2020 - Do we win the title?

View attachment 1019711

View attachment 180954
Hmm...

Valencia away...

A huge result against our resident bogey team, Valencia. Halilovic scored two sublime long-range strikes to render Ahmed Musa's goal a mere consolation. We were awful, but that's why we splashed the cash for Halilovic: that little bit of magic alone can win us games. Valencia should have thumped us.

Celta away...

So, yeah. I lost to Celta. After 12 games of bliss against our archrivals, we bottled arguably the biggest game of our season. This loss could mean that we miss out on the title. Seriously. So gutted.

FINAL GAME...

ARE YOUR HEARTS PUMPING...

DID WE WIN IT...

DID WE BOTTLE IT...

LET'S FIND OUT, SHALL WE...

DEPORTIVO LA CORUÑA ARE CHAMPIONS OF SPAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 20 YEARS AND THE 2ND TIME IN THEIR HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was an own-goal that delivered this trophy to our doorstep. So thrilled to have won it in front of our own fans! In 5 years this club has transformed from narrowly escaping relegation and scraping the barrel for footballers to becoming financially healthy and winning the title. Honestly, I'm so overwhelmed. Looking back at that Celta result, who cares eh? I love this team. I love this club.

The league table...

85 points. What an unreal season. Barcelona lost to Real Madrid and drew to Sevilla, allowing us to creep in on the final day and clinch the title!

Trophy cabinet:

I'm hungry for a European trophy now...

View attachment 180939
This side cost 28.8m euros to build. 28.8! Do you understand how phenomenal this achievement is?! Unity > financial power.

THE INFAMOUS END OF SEASON AWARDS...

View attachment 180937
Yeah, I won Manager of the Year for the first time!

View attachment 180936
The fans have their say! Hard to disagree!

View attachment 180935
Seferovic bagged a mammoth 26 goals. Andreas Pereira bossed the entire season.

Fabri wins goalkeeper of the year. At 32, he has enjoyed his finest season to date. A mere 21 goals conceded in 36 league games. 21 clean-sheets. Un-f**king-real. Seriously.

Numerical confirmation. He beat out some huge names.

Also conceded the least.

Pablo Insua topped the leaderboard for key tackles. He had yet another stellar season.

Is that 4 years in a row now for Saúl? Most tackles per game by a long, long mile!

Now, for my personal awards: Defender of the Year goes to...

Few defenders I've used on FM2016 better than Pablo Insua. An academy boy that made it. A true representation of every kid's dream in A Coruña. His rise has been meteoric.

Midfielder of the Year...

Words fail me for this guy.

Attacker of the Year...

Baptistão, who? This guy's 26 goals lead us to a league title. Always producing, never hiding. Could not have asked for a better striker to have made history with. Both he and Abel Hernandez have permanent spots in my heart.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON...

You guessed it. Without this guy, there would have been no league title. He is constantly creating chances, rarely gives possession away and is ever-present in the final third. He scored important goals, assisted even more important ones. A special footballer. Still can't believe he arrived on a free transfer.

BITS AND BOBS

View attachment 180926

The stadium now belongs to the club rather than the government. Great news as we can now expand (if we want to) and ticket revenue flows straight into the club. Expect debt to be cleared very soon.

3 of our boys made the final cut. Saúl, Fabri and Pereira. Very well deserved. Insua only made the bench which is frustrating, but great to see our players recognised among the big guys.

View attachment 180924
No pressure!

Should be untouchable!

And so ends our 5th season. A season of pure ecstasy. We finally won the league title. Question to all of my readers: do you want me to continue with this save or start something new? I only ask because I'm worried it will get boring to read now that we've ended the barren run. I'm more than happy to continue with it, mind. I want to thank you all for reading and engaging with the save. If this is to continue, then next season we will aim for that Copa del Rey title. Hey, we may even defend this beautiful La Liga trophy! Til then, you guys know the deal... FORZA DEPOR!

Continue until you win UCL cause that is a lot of bigger challenge. And can you retain your league title that's another big challenge..

Back