Really good going mate, specifically in the Cups!

EPL should be better for you in the second half, with certain fresh players maybe?

Also, Shane Long going to Brazil- wow! could never have thought of that!

Cheers buddy, to be honest I'm really happy with the performances, its just sometimes the goals go in, sometimes they dont, i guess thats football! I've seen Shane go to China before, but never Brazil :p was happy with 7 mil for him

Southampton 0 - 0 Norwich

View attachment 237249

Pulling my hair out on the sideline. Complete domination once more but still no goals. Thats now two games in a row failing to find the net as my strikers slip further out of form.
Arsenal 1 - 1 Southampton
View attachment 237246
The first leg of the Capital One Cup semi final was to take place at the Emirates Stadium. The match started horribly when Denis Cheryshev netted the opener inside 20 seconds. The match was then a real end to end affair which thoroughly entertained everybody. The 82nd minute was when Charlie Austin scored perhaps one of the most important goals of our season to earn us a draw and nick an away goal. Does that make us favourites at St Marys?

Southampton 4 - 1 Sunderland
View attachment 237243
The 4th round of the FA Cup saw us take on Sunderland in a tight encounter. An out of this world hat-trick from Dusan Tadic consisting of a left footed screamer into the top corner, a penalty and then a right footed volley from outside the area put us into a comfortable lead before Jermain Defoe made sure we had something to think about at half time. Juanmi made it safe mid way through the 2nd half to put us into the 5th round.

Southampton 2 - 1 Arsenal (AET)
View attachment 237242
WE ARE GOING TO WEMBLEY!!! an almost unbearable match to watch saw us have the majority of chances but we were chasing the match all the way after Theo Walcott opened the scoring for Arsenal early on. Our chance came in the 63rd minute and Dusan Tadic showed fantastic composure to tuck his penalty away and bring us level. Full time we were level on goals and away goals so we went to extra time.

Charlie Austin... He's making a wonderful habit of scoring goals at crucial times and he did so once more with a poked finish past David Ospina to send the crowd wild. The full time whistle was music to my ears as the fans flooded onto the pitch. We were into the final. What a day for Southampton football club.

Southampton 2 - 2 Leicester

View attachment 237236
Heartbreak. A really good performance saw us surrender the win in the last minutes of the match. Charlie Austin again on the scoresheet. One point again. Not good enough.
Directly after the match the draw for the FA Cup 5th round took place.

View attachment 237235

January review

View attachment 237234
Yet another mixed match where we failed to get into our stride. A fantastic win in the league against Liverpool followed up by a cup win against Sunderland and the two legs against Arsenal to secure a place at Wembley are all positives, but two points from games against Leicester, Norwich and Crystal Palace are unacceptable.

View attachment 237233

Player of the Month
View attachment 237232
Dusan Tadic once again wowed the home fans with his performances. Another four goals to his name and three player of the match performances see him just edge this ahead of Charlie Austin.

A look ahead to February
View attachment 237231
The Immediate concern when looking at the fixtures is the two legs of the Europa League against Fenerbahce but some tricky Premier League fixtures including Man City and Stoke away are going to be tough to negotiate.

Very good story, plus sound amazing signings made. KIU.
the JWP injury was a bit harsh.

Insigne is an absolute beast of a player mate, will be a fantastic signing. He is in the top 5 players in the world in 2017 on my story!

February news

A massive boost for us as Sadio Mane resumes full training following his fractured wrist.

The squad is looking quite healthy now as we head into the most important part of the season.

View attachment 237143
James Ward-Prowse and Florin Gardos are both in the reserve squad with their long term injuries. Cedric is only out for about 10 days so it looks like Cuco Martina will get some of the first team football he has been crying for. We have some serious options up front now in Pelle, Austin, Mane, Juanmi, Rodriguez, Gray and Insigne who will be rotating around the striker and wing positions. Harrison Reed has been very impressive, to the point of keeping Clasie and Davis out of the team and Niklas Stark has proved more than adequate back up for Wanyama.

Swansea 1 - 1 Southampton

View attachment 237136
A poor start to the season. Outplayed by Swansea despite Charlie Austins first minute goal. Fabio Borini slotted home home to tie the game up and then we were somewhat holding on for the final half an hour.
Stoke 3 - 1 Southampton

View attachment 237135
Pressure is definitely on now. We got absolutely battered by Stoke. Once again we scored in the first minute with Ryan Bertrand claiming his 2nd of the season. Bojan quickly levelled things up before a lack of concentration from a set piece allowed Ryan Shawcross to score. Sidwell then scored a screamer which Fraser Forster could have done better with. Murmurings are starting n the squad that we are underperforming. We need to pull something out the bag now if we want European qualification through the league.

Lets hope so! any tips on getting the best out of him?

I had him as an LW inside forward last season and he got 42 goals in all comps, this season I'm starting him up top as an F9, only played a friendly against PSG but he got a hat trick!

Southampton 2 - 3 Manchester City

View attachment 237131

Very frustrated again. Just as the strikers begin to fire again, our defence lets us down. Three goals within 15 minutes saw us 3-0 down but the Sergio Aguero injury just after half time seemed to breathe some life into us. Lorenzo Insigne broke his goal scoring duck by notching his first for the club before Jay Rodriguez made it an interesting last half an hour, but alas, it wasn't to be.
Southampton 2 - 0 West Ham

View attachment 237130
Our incredible run in the cups continues as a change of tactics ensured a comfortable 2-0 win against West Ham. Dusan Tadic scored a penalty after being bundled over by Winston Reid in the penalty area, before some excellent Jay Rodriguez work score him smash a shot against the post only for the rebound to hit Sviatchenko and go in. A good win, by why cant we play like this in the league!?!?
The draw for the FA Cup quarter final has seen us facing an away trip to Tottenham.

View attachment 237121

Last edited:
Can't wait for more! any chance to upload a screen of your team sheet in the tactic screen, be nice to see how you have it set up considering the injuries etc.

Can't wait for more! any chance to upload a screen of your team sheet in the tactic screen, be nice to see how you have it set up considering the injuries etc.

sure thing mate :)

View attachment 237086
Thats the new tactic that I am working on at the moment, im trialling pushing the defensive mids up into the middle but it leaves us a bit insecure. Insigne has been dissapointing so far but is rotating with Mane, and Pelle is rotating with Austin and Reed/Davis are rotating with Clasie.

Thanks for following!

Fenerbahce 0 - 1 Southampton

View attachment 237084

A thoroughly disciplined performance from the boys as we withstood heavy pressure. A flowing counter attacking move ended with Jay Rodriguez side footing the ball into an empty net to give us the lead and an often crucial away goal! Huge shout out to Ryan Bertrand and Jose Fonte in this match. Amazing.
West Brom 1 - 3 Southampton
View attachment 237083
FINALLY! A result in the Premier League! Charlie Austin was simply flawless as he bagged his hat-trick which turned out to be more than enough to see off bottom of the table West Brom. These were badly needed points and relieved just a tiny bit of pressure.

Southampton 0 - 0 Fenerbahce
View attachment 237082
A very tight match where both teams were obviously too anxious to venture forward. This made it an extremely boring game, only made tense by the occasion but that was fine by me! Another determined defensive peformance saw us through into the next round!

February Review

View attachment 237080
An almost disastrous month in the Premier League was saved right at the end with the win at West Brom. Even so it was a poor showing with a draw against Swansea and losses to Stoke and Man City meaning only 4 points from as many games were banked. The cup run just seems like never stopping. A win against West Ham in the FA Cup put us into the quarter finals and the two leg victory over Fenerbahce in the Europa League put us into the last 16 where we will face Ludogorets.

View attachment 237076

Tables
View attachment 237075

Player of the month
View attachment 237074

Cedric - The man has been on fire at Right back, his match rating not dropping below a 7.1 all month. Utterly dependable and a more than adequate replacement for Clyne. Still just 23 and with more room to improve he could be a key member of the team for a long time.

A look ahead to March
View attachment 237073
An absolute stinker of a month. The Cup final is looming! the most important fixture of our whole season. A win over Everton could earn us qualification for the Europa League, my sole aim for the season. Ludogorets could prove stern opposition in the Europa League while we play Tottenham in the FA Cup quarter finals. Chelsea will be a nightmare so the Sunderland match in the Premier League is a biggie.

[video=youtube;eI6UwbaJhcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6UwbaJhcQ[/video]​

Simon Thomas - "Hello! and welcome to a sold out Wembley stadium here today on this very special day, the Capital One cup final will kick off in just over an hour and then we will have our champions, Will it be Southampton? or Everton?.

[video=youtube;dTfNj9_TmLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTfNj9_TmLA[/video]

View attachment 237071

Simon Thomas - "We now have live feed of the Southampton team arriving here at Wembley, led by a very smart looking Rickie Lambert. We are of course joined here today by Saints legend Matt Le Tissier, welcome Matt, how well do you think Lambert has done with this Southampton team?"

Le Tissier - "Rickie has done fantastically well. We quite often see that teams struggle when they qualify for the Europa League but Saints are 8th in the league, only one place worse off than last season and have progressed further in Europe than anybody expected. And to top it all off you have the cup final here today. Rickie was a club legend already.. now.. well if Southampton win today and qualify for Europe he is going to be adored."

ST - "Now, we know that Southampton aren't the only team in tonight's final. Everton aren't going to let Southampton in this.

Le Tissier - "No, Everton are a fantastic team that are looking back to their best under Roberto Martinez. They are right up there in the Champions League places and in my eyes are favourites for this one today, they've got the pedigree, the form and the opportunity here today to win some silverware.

ST - "OK, I believe we can now hear from Saints manager Rickie Lambert"

View attachment 237069
Reporter - "OK Rickie, thanks for joining us.. your first season in management, your first club, your first Wembley final. Could you have imagined this?"

Me - "Absolutely not, this is a really really special day for the club and the fans. I wasn't expecting anything like this at all when I first signed up, but as soon as the lads started training I knew that anything was possible. I've never met any group so dedicated, they are a pleasure to work with and this is all about them, not me"

Reporter - "Are you looking to take the game to Everon today? or a more defensive display like we saw against Fenerbahce?"

Me - "I've talked to the boys already, they know what they have to do.. I guess your going to have to wait and see!"

Reporter - "How much would this mean to you as a club?"

Me - "Oh it would mean everything.. this is why all of us are in football from the owners to the players to the backroom staff.. Trophies are the dream for any of us and thats what we hope to deliver today"

Reporter "OK Rickie, thanks, I'll let you go!"
The Saints fans are here in their thousands and already in good voice.

[video=youtube;dg_zHFT_k_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_zHFT_k_8[/video]

Simon Thomas - "OK Folks, we are just moments from kick off here, we will be back right after these adverts!"

Announcer

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your Southampton team for today!!

Number 22, Maarten Stekelenburg!!!!
Number 2, Cedric Soares!!!
Number 26, Steven Caulker!!!!
Number 6, and your captain today, Jose Fonte!!!
Number 21, Ryan Bertrand!!!
Number 12, Victor Wanyama!!!
Number 4, Jordy Clasie!!!!
Number 11, Dusan Tadic!!!
Number 9, Jay Rodriguez!!!
Number 10, Sadio Mane!!!
And Number 32, Charlieeeee Austin!!!!

The sound of the announcer was ringing in my ears as I walked through the tunnel. A Wembley final, the last time I was here was with Southampton for the Johnstones Paint Trophy back in 2010. The hairs on the back of my neck were on end, how far have we come since then. The teams came out into the tunnel and Jose Fonte clapped me on the back and winked at me. "We got this boss" he said confidents as the referees led the teams out of the tunnel to deafening noise.

View attachment 237058
Kick off! - Everton kick the game off! shooting from left to right!

22 minutes - A beautiful, flowing Southampton move had me up and out of my seat as Sadio Mane broke free and chipped Tim Howard, only to see his shot hit the post and bounce away.

27 minutes - Martin Tyler - "Steven Pienaar lofts an ambitious cross in from the right of the penalty area. Maarten Stekelenburg leaps to claim it but disaster! hes dropped it into his own net!! its an absolute nightmare from the Saints keeper and now they have it all to do! 1-0 Everton!!"

Half Time - I stood up from my seat and walked straight down the tunnel, heading into the dressing room. I waited for the team to file in and take their seats. Sports drink and energy bars were passed around the dressing room.

"Your better than this lads!" I started, seeing some of their heads dropping. "Your letting yourselves down! actually no.. scrap that.. you are letting the fans down!! they have spent their money and used their precious free time to support you every inch of the way! and you get here and give them that cr*p!"

"But boss.." Bertrand started to say.

"No.. I dont want excuses.. I want you.. to get back out there, and play for the shirt!! play for the badge of this great club! and if you cant bring yourself to do that, do it for the fans!"

I wasnt really angry with them, the lads had done alright, but maybe that was the kick up the backside they needed to really take the game to Everton.

45 Minutes - Martin Tyler - "Bertrand.. brings it over the halfway line for Southampton. He looks up and see's the run of Mane, its played long down the wing and Mane is free, running for the byline! What can he do here... he cuts inside Coleman and squares it for chARLIE AUSTIN!!! ITS THERE! A WONDERFUL GOAL FROM SOUTHAMPTON!"

Alan Smith - "Its too easy, Austin has just cut across the front of his marker! he is unmarked in the area and has a simple side foot into the net! a gift of a goal! and we are all level here! I dont know what Rickie Lambert said to them at half time but its worked, less than 20 seconds into the 2nd half, its Southampton 1-1 Everton."

80 Minutes - I sit in the dugout, on the edge of my seat, so tense I can barely watch. The game had simmered out into a cagey affair as neither side wanted to risk being countered.

84 Minutes - I watched as we worked the ball neatly around just inside the Everton half. Everton were sat deep and holding their shape. Bertrand lofted a cross in from deep left and it was headed away confidently by young John Stones.. now way through there.. the ball came back out to Wanyama who laid it off to Cedric with his first touch. Cedric picked his head up and curled a cross right into the mix of the penalty area. I rose from my seat as I saw the lone figure of Charlie Austin leap mightily in the box and then groaned with the red half of Wembley as I heard the ball smack against the bar. There was no way through. I was turning and walking back to my seat when Doddy grabbed my arm and pointed "Look!" he screamed. Charlie Austin was wheeling away with his arm in the air and the stadium was just waking up to what had happened. The referee, stood pointing at the centre circle. It had gone in!!! goal-line technology confirmed it!! Wembley erupted as Austin disappeared under a pile of Saints Shirts by the corner flag.

"Its gone in!!! CHARLIE AUSTIN!" I could hear Martin Tyler screaming from an ipad, blaring its commentary. Was this really happening? this was no time to celebrate. I rushed to the touchline and started shouting at my players "Hold your shape! give them absolutely nothing!!!!"

93 Minutes - The final whistle! we had done it! Red and White confetti had been released from the roof and the noise was simply deafening as the substitutes and support staff rushed onto the pitch with the players. I wiped the tears from my eyes as I joined them on the pitch, my arms in the air, clapping the support.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, THE WINNERS OF THE 2014/15 CAPITAL ONE CUP! SOUTHAMPTOONNNNNN!!!!"

[video=youtube;TQOrHaaY3Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQOrHaaY3Mo[/video]​

Last edited:
Before I knew it the lads had my suit jacket off me and had stuffed me into one of my old Lambert 7 shirts. Where they got it from I have no idea, but it was a really special touch.

View attachment 237054
Reporter - "Rickie! Congratulations! Just how much does that mean to you?"

We are both shouting to be heard over the crowd who break into a raucous rendition of 'theres only one Rickie Lambert'

Me, grinning like an idiot - "It means everything! absolutely everything! its just fantastic! the lads were first rate out there and we are putting Southampton firmly on the footballing map! couldnt have asked for a better day!"

Reporter - "Does a little part of you wish you were still out there playing?"

Me - "Yeah of course, But i've scored in a Wembley final before, its time for somebody else to have a go"

Reporter - "A few sore heads in the morning?"

Me - "We will have a couple.. dont you worry about that.. but we cant afford anything too major. We will enjoy tonight, probably have tomorrow off training, but then its right back and focussing on our match against Sunderland."

Reporter - "Well done Rickie, enjoy it!"

Me - "Thankyou!!"

View attachment 925196
View attachment 237053

View attachment 237052

The next morning I am sat in my office, nursing the daddy of all hangovers and checking through my emails and some of the stats from the day before.

View attachment 237051

View attachment 237050
View attachment 237049
European qualification!! that is the perfect end to a cup final win. That should see the rest of the season slip past with a little less pressure on our shoulders. Time to build for the future.