View attachment 925665
Three in for Southampton

View attachment 236836
Southampton have continued their raid on Borussia Dortmund by bringing in 21 year old centre back Matthias Ginter for a fee believed to be in the region of £8 million. The Saints have already signed Ciro Immobile from Dortmund this transfer window. Ginter was highly rated at Dortmund, making five appearances for their first team. A fully capped German international, Ginter will join up with the Southampton squad before their pre-season tour.

Southampton have also signed Belgian U21 goalkeeper Koen Casteels for an undisclosed fee as well as highly rated Exeter city youngster Ethan Ampadu, again for an undisclosed fee. Ampadu, just 15 years old will join up with Southamptons famous academy team.

View attachment 236835

View attachment 236834
Pre-season fixtures announced

View attachment 236833

Southampton football club are delighted to announce a pre-season tour of China to kick off our preparations for the new season. Whilst in China the Saints will play matches against Beijing, Jiangsu and Shanghai. Also included in Southamptons pre-season plans are a visit to the Nou Camp to face Barcelona and the visits of Red Bull Salzburg, Totton and Windsor to St Mary's.

Ticket details and information will be posted shortly.

I heard my phone ringing and answered it

"Hello?"

"Hey Rickie, its Alex" came the voice down the phone. Alexandre Ceolin. My new chief scout. His voice was thick with the distinctive Brazilian accent.

"Hey Alex, what can I do for you my friend?" I asked him

"It is more of a case of what I can do for you, Your search for a centre back is over"

"What you got for me Alex?" I asked, slightly sceptical as his last search came up with Alex Bruce!

"Musacchio" He said simply.

I sat for a moment as I let that register. "What.. the Musacchio?"

"The one and only my friend, he is unhappy at Villareal, he feels his future lies in England. I'm best friends with his agent, we could get the jump on this."

"How much are they after for him?"

"£17 million, but I think we barter the down a bit."

"Thats in budget.. go go go go, do it, let me know what his agent says!"

"I'll set things in place, talk to you soon!"

The phone clicked as it hung up and I placed my mobile back down on the table. This could be just what we were after, a strong, intelligent, experienced centre back to lead the line when Jose Fonte leaves. Perfect.

View attachment 236821
Natalie Sawyer - "Good evening and welcome to Sky Sports News. Our top stories tonight involve Southampton Football Club and we understand they have clinched a significant double signing. The Southampton twitter and facebook pages announced the signings of Sporting goalkeeper Rui Patricio and Villareal defender Mateo Musacchio. Patricio is the 2nd goalkeeper to arrive at the club this transfer window after Belgian keeper Koen Casteels and is rumoured to have cost them just a little over £9 million. Mateo Musacchio arrives at St Mary's with 3 Italy caps to his name and has set the Saints back £14 million. The other breaking news that we have concerning Southampton is that goalkeeper Fraser Forster has left the club! Forster has joined Premiership rivals Norwich City but could be seen as somewhat of a gamble due to him missing most of last season with a long term injury and then making a string of errors on his return to action"

View attachment 236820
So for the Europa League 3rd Qualifying round we have been drawn against Zulte Waregem from Belgium. A nice short trip but a potentially tricky tie. Former Arsenal man Chuks Aneke is on the books for Zulte and is their best player.

View attachment 236729
Charlotte Jackson - "As the Premier League season draws near, we are summing up all of the teams transfers and now it is the turn of Southampton. The Saints have been busy this season with 9 players arriving and 9 players leaving permanently.

Players in
Ciro Immobile - £8.5 million
Matthias Ginter - £8 million
Koen Casteels - £1.6 Million
Rui Patricio - £9.25 Million
Mateo Musacchio - £14 million
Carl Jenkinson - Loan
Maximillian Meyer - £11 million
Denys Garmash - £12 million
Ethan Ampadu £0.77K

Net Spend - £65 million

Players out
Florin Gardos - £3.6 million
Cuco Martina - £3.6 million
Jack Stephens £450K
Graziano Pelle - £5.75 million
Fraser Forster - £3.4 million
Jordy Clasie - £18 million
Juanmi - £5.5 million
Kelvin Davis - Released
Paulo Gazzaniga - Released
Sam Gallagher - Loan
Jason McCarthy - Loan
Jake Hesketh - Loan
George Mells - Loan

Net income £40.5 million

Zulte Waregem 1 - 2 Southampton

View attachment 236712
A really oood start to the campaign in terms of performance, if not a slightly disappointing result. Debutant Patricio made a fantastic save early on to keep the scores level but the rebound fell straight to a familiar face as Steve De Ridder poked home to make it 1-0 to Waregem. Luckily we were up for the challenge as first Lorenzo Insigne and then Sadio Mane scored to give us the win and two away goals.
Southampton 3 - 0 Zulte Waregem
View attachment 236714
Another fantastic performance from the lads saw us safely into the playoffs for the Europa League. Waregem barely got a sniff as Jay Rodriguez bagged a brace before Victor Wanyama got his goal tally underway to give us a 3-0 win on the night and a 5-1 win on aggregate.

The Draw for the playoff stage of the Europa League will see us face Israeli team Hapoel Irony Kiryat-Shmona.

View attachment 236713

How are we shaping up

View attachment 236711
So this is how the squad is shaping up for the start of the season. We have excellent strength in depth now and some fantastic prospects with the likes of Insigne, Mane, Meyer, Rodriguez and Reed.

The Tactic
View attachment 236710
The tactic relies heavily on the wide attacking midfielders pushing up and almost becoming 2nd and 3rd strikers. Insigne, Rodriguez, Mane and Meyer are the most likely players to fight for those positions. The plan is to remain patient and retain possession but when a gap appears to take it quickly with cute, one touch passing.

View attachment 236709

Pre-Season

View attachment 236707
A very successful pre-season from the lads with just the one defeat. Highlights include a successful tour of China which should hopefully increase merchandise sales and a wonderful draw against Barcelona at the Nou Camp. The new players are settling in very nicely and there have been some very promising performances from Lorenzo Insigne and Jay Rodriguez.

2 Regista's is interesting, what's the thought going into that, and do you use say a Anchor man or so in away games against the top 4.

~ Keep it going, really enjoying this!

2 Regista's is interesting, what's the thought going into that, and do you use say a Anchor man or so in away games against the top 4.

~ Keep it going, really enjoying this!

Thanks for the encouragement! the Registas are something that I really didnt think they would work.. on paper they dont, but in the game they do! The Idea was for the whole team to attack together and the whole team to defend together. When in possession the Registas push up and provide a creative outlet with the two full backs forming a sort of line of 4.. with the other attacking players in front. When in defence they sit quite nicely in front of the two centre backs.

Generally I dont change the formation much, even against the big boys as I feel the principle of this tactic should apply in most matches.. if we are really under pressure and getting hammered I might consider just switching them to more defensive positions :)

Leicester 1 - 4 Southampton
View attachment 236633
A close, exciting game against Leicester saw us take our chances to claim the opening day win. Jay Rodriguez was in stunning form to claim an early brace before Ryan Bertrand added his goal just before half time. Christian Fuchs scored a lovely free kick for a late consolation before Charlie Austin got his season up and running with a late poachers effort. Very happy with this start.

Southampton 2 - 1 Irony
View attachment 236632
Just look at the dominance of that game. 2-1 is a very flattering result for Irony but Ciro Immobile scored his first for the club to clinch the win. That Azuz goal was very disappointing and that away goal will just give them a shot at winning the tie.

Southampton 0 - 1 Chelsea
View attachment 236631
I just cannot be disappointed by this result. I watched the whole match and we were absolutely sensational. The link-up play was superb, the passing was short and crisp and the players showed a real understanding together. A superb show from Courtois was all that cost us the game and we were inevitably punished by a Chelsea counter-attack which Lucas Pratto slotted home.

Irony 0 - 5 Southampton
View attachment 236628
Once again superb from the boys with lots of promise. Another brace from Jay Rodriguez easily justifies why I turned down a £19 million offer from Liverpool for the Burnley lad. Denys Garmash claimed his first goal in Saints colours and Jose Fonte got his first of the season. Safely through to the Europa League group stages.

Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Southampton
View attachment 236627
A really disappointing end to the month but again I have a similar feeling to the Chelsea match that I dont mind the dropped points. We were fantastic again but just couldnt find the goal. Goals will come though, the passing and understand between the players is much harder to come by and seems to be in place here.

August Review
View attachment 236624
Can be summed up nicely as a month of very very good football with poor results. I have been so happy with the football the lads have been playing but we just haven't had the luck. I am very confident that we can better last years Premiership campaign and am very pleased with the squad at my disposal. The main thing this month is safely through and in to the Europa League group stages.

Tables & Draws
View attachment 236623

Far too early to draw any conclusions from the look of the Premier League table just yet.

View attachment 236621

The Europa League has given us what I feel is an extremely tough group, although on paper we should be favourites to qualify. Athletico Bilbao have strong links to Southampton so it is nice to face off against them, while Lille and Rapid Wien are not to be underestimated.

View attachment 236620

The defence of our Capital One Cup is to begin in the Third Round where we have been drawn away to Bristol City.
Player of the month
View attachment 236618

A really easy decision this month, the award goes to Jay Rodriguez. He has been in sensation form, scoring 6 goals in as many games and leading our front line with confidence and ease. Well done Jay.

September Preview
View attachment 236617

Relatively few fixtures this month due to the international break but a month full of potential hazards. The boys will be wary of what newly promoted Hull can do following the defeat to Middlesbrough. Athletic in the Europa League will be a stern test and then its just a simple case of Man City in the league. Bristol City in the Capital One Cup should be a nice occasion before a trip to Watford in the Premiership. Points needed.

View attachment 926118
Ward-Prowse resumes full training

View attachment 236615
Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse has returned to full training today after almost a year out with injury after suffering a Cruciate Ligament problem caused by a poor Connor Wickham challenge last season.
"I'm delighted to be back, its been a very tough and frustrating year but I am now more determined than ever to prove my worth to the team!" The England International said.

It remains to be seen if Ward-Prowse will fit straight back into his place in the side with plenty of competition now available for his place including the likes of Insigne, Tadic, Mane, Rodriguez, Meyer, Davis and Demarai Gray.

Southampton 4 - 0 Hull

View attachment 236583

A clinical display saw us absolutely blow Hull away at St Marys. Jay Rodriguez opened the scoring early on and we never looked back. Wanyama managed to grab a brace, making late runs from midfield and Lorenzo Insigne continued his fine start to the season with a late fourth.
Athletic 1 - 0 Southampton
View attachment 236576
A lot of hard work from the lads but not enough. A clumsy penalty was enough to ensure the victory for Athletic but they needed a lot of help from us. I have never seen such wasteful shooting.

Southampton 0 - 1 Man City
View attachment 236574
This is turning out to be a vary familiar story. Almost but not quite against the big teams. In fairness Man City played a good game and were worthy winners but we almost pinched it on the counter attack, spurning two clear cut chances. Edin Dzeko scored the only goal of the game with a powerful header. A penalty decision against us almost killed the game off completely but some Rui Patricio heroics saw it saved and left us with a shot right up until the final whistle.

Bristol City 0 - 1 Southampton
View attachment 236571

A rather dull match was played out at Ashton Gate as I made a tweek to my tactic that didnt work. Both teams were largely ineffective and it took a moment of class from Lorenzo Insigne to break the deadlock and make it 1-0, and 1-0 it stayed right up until the final whistle. A bad game, but a good result.. still going in the cup!

Watford 2 - 3 Southampton
View attachment 236568
Perhaps the most entertaining and challenging game I have ever taken charge of. Watford were right up for this one from the very start and got off to a flyer with Vydras early header. The goalscoring machine that is Charlie Austin finally spluttered into life this season as he grabbed the equaliser with a clean finish. After lots of tactical tinkering, it was Lorenzo Insigne who put us into a lead after running clean through the defence thanks to a wonderful Garmash through ball, he made no mistake and we were ahead again. Young Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford equalised again for Watford but they were only level for 70 seconds as Charlie Austin once again scored a belter of a goal from the edge of the area to secure the win.

September Review

View attachment 236534
A decent month in all with Premier League wins against Hull and Watford and advancing in the Capital One Cup. The defeat to Athletic was a shame but not the end of the world and we shouldn't be judged on the Man City game.

Tables & Draws
View attachment 236535
View attachment 236533
The Capital One Cup has drawn us at home against Everton in the 4th round.

View attachment 236532
Player of the month
View attachment 236531
Victor Wanyama has impressed enough in recent weeks to be named the official Barclays Premier League player of the month. The midfield monster has netted two goals in his last three games and looks so at ease when dominating the midfield.

October Preview
View attachment 236530
Another tough month coming back, but then again at this level every month is tough. Back to back Premiership games against Tottenham and Liverpool need to yield at least some points while Lille and Rapid Wien are important games in Europe.

Ok, so the updates now are just going to be monthly because of the time consuming nature of reporting every match!
October Review
View attachment 236527
A really good month that sort of tailed off towards the end! excellent draws away at Tottenham and then home to Liverpool were reinforced by two thumping wins in the Europa League but the draw to Newcastle and defeat to Everton in the Capital One Cup that we were hoping to defend were disappointing.

Tables

View attachment 236526
So the draws were stopping us picking up good points, but at least they stopped the opposition picking up points as well. 10th might look disappointing in the table but it is still very early and we are just 3 points behind Arsenal in 6th.

View attachment 236525

Player of the month
View attachment 236524

Charlie Austin has filled his boots this month, scoring 6 in 6 games. Austin is looking like being close to his best again which could be crucial to our campaign.

November Preview

View attachment 236523

View attachment 926312
Liebherr looking to sell

View attachment 236522
Southampton Football Club have been rocked by the news that club owner Katharina Liebherr is looking to sell her share in the club. Ms Liebherr inherited her majority stake from her father Markuss when he passed away in 2010. Markus Liebherr is still held in high regard by Southampton Fans and is remembered for being the man who saved the club from liquidation and started the Saints charge back up the football pyramid.

A brief statement from Ms Liebherr's lawyer read.."Our whole family has been deeply involved in the running of the club from day one. We hold nothing but the deepest affection for Southampton which is why I promised myself to take the club on after my father passed. I feel that has been accomplished now, with Southampton now challenging regularly for European football and it is now time to move on. Our piece of Southampton history has now been laid and we leave the club in an excellent financial state and in a very healthy position. We would all like to take this moment to thank everybody associated with Southampton Football Club and of course the fans who have made this experience memorable and extremely enjoyable"

mate, Max Meyer turns great!

start him more in his preferred AMC role, and he'll get a lot of assists and goals as well..

also, look at Quintero and Josue(FCP) if you need another AMC come January!