Playing with Man Utd and cant win a game to save my life. 2-2 0-0 or I lose.

I got Birmingham promoted in first season and with a few shrewd dealings in the transfer window got them to finish 7th in Prem in their first season. I only spent around £1.5m. Brought quincy permanently for 600k and bozalgo for 750k who is now worth £7m and man utd want. He was 2nd best player in prem only after fabregas.

Also brought Edu on a free, and Routledge. Kevin Doyle in first season for £5m an he was second top prem scorer behind Adebayor.

Now in 3rd season and have £26m to spend!!

i remember those days. with the old tactics

2st
supply
3cm one with a barrow
flat back 4 with both fullbacks with farrows

and a direct style, from Div 4 to Div 1 in 3 seasons, winning the intercontinental cup on the way, was a great game until you were top of Div 1 and your players used to disappear to europe for big money.

still try it with every new version and it has never worked since,
as for the gap between the defence and midfield, im getting sick of that since im winning i just ignor it

Thanks mate.
I have tried what you said over last couple of nights, and my Tigers are getting the football equivelent of "raped" by the other Premier League teams :mad:

Thanks mate.
I have tried what you said over last couple of nights, and my Tigers are getting the football equivelent of "raped" by the other Premier League teams :mad:

ah, well if you read what i quoted that was the tactic that worked for CM 91/92 and i said ive tried it every year since and it has never worked,

"still try it with every new version and it has never worked since"

so not really my fault you used it then is it? i even mention DIVISION 4!!! and the INTERCONTINENTAL CUP, its been a while since they were about

sorry thought it would be obvious, seems not ;(

ah, well if you read what i quoted that was the tactic that worked for CM 91/92 and i said ive tried it every year since and it has never worked,

"still try it with every new version and it has never worked since"

so not really my fault you used it then is it? i even mention DIVISION 4!!! and the INTERCONTINENTAL CUP, its been a while since they were about

sorry thought it would be obvious, seems not ;(

plus it looks like someone has made it work...

http://www.fmscout.com/i-388-A-good-4312-tactic.html

I take it back anyway. Dont know if it was you that said stick with same tactic for 6 games or so to let them get used to it so I have. Playing Geovanni in the hole behind Cousin and Donovan and it's started to work. Drew at Man Utd, then Blackburn. Then beat Blackburn in FA Cup, Villa Stoke WBA in league. 4 points from safety all of a sudden, gotta get back to it!:-D

I have the same problems as some of you guys. playing with Liverpool no matter who i play up front alone or as a pair, cannot score. No formation gives the right balance either?? The problem I have had recently is equalisers against in 90+ mins, has happened 3 or 4 times now. even if i close the game down from the 85th onwards.

Dont just pick a formation

I also found it hard to begin with and have restarted about 5 times with Liverpool this was for me to work out a tactic I like. I tried several of different tactics, none seemed to work. Kept losing, players you were in their best positions would have poor games hardly score and when watching the action some of the misses were criminal.

However I've now started the game (6th time) with a Tactic I developed to use with the players in the Liverpool squad. The only players I've signed have been Joe Mattock (leics) T Henry (Barca) & Stefan Defour (Standard) and I'm joint 2nd in league, won every game except a loss to Arsenal, top scorers in th league with Torres & Babel and best ave rating for Gerrard.

So pick a formation best suited to the players you have, then fiddle with the tactics to suit the strengths players in your team. DONT JUST PICK A FORMATION AND EXPECT IT TOO WORK, it has to suit the players you have available to you.

I did a season with Villa for a challenge, cos lets face it, they are pretty ***** (i know they are about 4th in real life atm but they play good football one week then the next week you think, what the **** is this!)

i played 1 st, 2 wing forwards either side, 2 cms, a holding midfielder, and a flat 4. i dont know how i managed it but i won the premiership by one point! haha!

I have twice been sacked by Liverpool and am running out of patience. I have bought some good players (Drenthe, Johnson, Diarra, Kierrison, Owen) but still have been sacked just after January after getting knocked out of all competitions and in one season I was 17th!!!

I freely admit I have been a bit hasting in chopping and changing tactics, but have tried 442, 451, diamond attacking and even D ICe and none have produced any results, some embaressing defeats to teams like Hull and Boro (in the case of Boro they had 17 shots and I had none, this is with Gerrard and Torres up front!!)

I have tried going the way of getting a tactic to suit my players and also the way of tweaking my tactic to try and combat the oppostion, neither of which works, I'm not looking for any cheating tactic or easy way out but does anyone have any helpful suggestions (stop playing the game cos I'm **** doesn't count :)) Cheers

Solved the home issue now what to do about away tactics

I've been reading the forums to get some winning formulas' and totally agree that you should not fiddle with how you play. Set up your formation at the start and DO NOT TWEAK!!!!

I've gone QPR, got a healthy transfer budget and have bought Steven Fletcher, Andrius Velicka, Andre Bikey and The Rat from Shaktar! Now I've got a speedy defence I push right up and play as wide as possible. I also like my keeper to play on the edge of his box to cover all the bases!!! This works well against the other Championship sides at home but I cannot get a win away from home.

Keeping to my no fiddling rule is difficult when looking for a solution. Has anyone come up with a good away strategy at Champioship level?

Also, COME ON THE GUNNERS FOR GIVING THE UNWASHED BLUES A GOOD SPANKING!!!!!!!

I have twice been sacked by Liverpool and am running out of patience. I have bought some good players (Drenthe, Johnson, Diarra, Kierrison, Owen) but still have been sacked just after January after getting knocked out of all competitions and in one season I was 17th!!!

I freely admit I have been a bit hasting in chopping and changing tactics, but have tried 442, 451, diamond attacking and even D ICe and none have produced any results, some embaressing defeats to teams like Hull and Boro (in the case of Boro they had 17 shots and I had none, this is with Gerrard and Torres up front!!)

I have tried going the way of getting a tactic to suit my players and also the way of tweaking my tactic to try and combat the oppostion, neither of which works, I'm not looking for any cheating tactic or easy way out but does anyone have any helpful suggestions (stop playing the game cos I'm **** doesn't count :)) Cheers

mate that sounds familiar.

2 times sacked woth Liverpool already, either side of Xmas:(

I have tried to keep the tactice, but when you keep it for 5-8 games and still no improvement. I dunno whatever i try does not work??

Have started with a lowly Russian 1st Div team in my frustration.

BTW your username is that RonMaiden as in Iron Maiden \m/? :D

The Reason

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard

There are two reasons. The first reason is that they tried to make the games more exciting, but they are just unbelievable. Example: One time with Villarreal in football manager 08 I got a hat trick in the first half from Rossi, then in the second half my opponent's striker (might have been Raul at Real Madrid) got four goals in an 'amazing comeback'. Frankly silly.

The second, real reason (the first reason just happened because I, like everyone else who gets this problem, just wasn't any good at tactics back then) is because one is supposed to, like in real life, find a single rough formation that works best for their team, and keep at it for a long while.

I personally don't touch the variables in 'Team Instructions' much at all any more, I prefer leaving it to my players, and then making slight in game adjustments to augment their playing style.

I'd like to point out that starting a new game you as a manager have 10 points in everything. That's a really big handicap, which is why it's not often advised to start with a top-of-the-line team, rather that you work your way up there. You don't start having your players perform as well as real-life managers have their players perform till you start getting above 16 in your stats. Anyways:

Firstly: Don't bring in more than one or two good players each year. You'll disturb your team alot, cut down on their maximum abilities and experience low performance for the first half of the season (after the first half of the season players will gel together but, as you may have experienced, you rarely get that far before being sacked).

I'm currently playing Bayern after one restart and I think my team is capable of beating Europe -- In the first game I bought Srna, Sakho and Rossi, while selling Lucio and Toni. One big pile of mistakes. Completely tore apart the very parts of my team that it's best at - defense and attack. Toni and Klose are perhaps two of the best strikers in Europe (despite their age), and the Bayern central defenders (Lucio and, after a few months injury, Demichelis; who is mind-blowingly good) are both insane (try get 'em in your liverpool game) and create a very strong defence.

In the end I restarted. I bought Srna (Bayern have a weak right defense/midfield, Srna is perfect for them) and Joao Moutinho (Ze Roberto is 34, time to get a new wonder midfielder), didn't sell a single player and, as I said, I think my team can win the champs league this season.

Secondly: Don't change your tactics around too much. Find one or two base formations (call one 'attk' and one 'def') and never jink the Team Instructions sliders more than one or two points off the middle. Liverpool are a very talented team, and should be able to fend for themselves very well without having you telling them to do weird things.

Also, I advise that before every game you go to 'opposition instructions' and tell your players to Always close down, tackle Hard, and show-to-weaker-foot on every player on the other team. Don't do 'tight marking' because that'll leave your defense open to good dribblers/fast players - but do everything else to everyone (including the GK) that way your enemies will not have any chances, and not many bad things happen in return.

That should stop things happening like your defenders standing off from enemies long enough to let them have an easy long range drive which is bound to score, etc.

Well that's just what I do, and it tends to work quite well

Last edited:
Cheers for all the advice folks, I have given Liverpool one more go (I used to go Torquay and try and get them up the leagues but decided to be greedy and go for glory lol)

I have taken ure advice urprobablyright and just trying 2 formations, both 442 which is how I would ideally like my team to play, one attack minded and one defensive (there is a awesome 40 odd page tactics guide in the downloads section that comes with lots of formations and I got them from there)

Im just gonna stick with these 2 come rain or shine. (in my first 3 games i drew away at A Madrid, lost to portsmouth and then came back from 2 down to knock out A Madrid in the CL qualifying) I have invested in some decent full backs (Drenthe and G Johnson are great in this game btw) so hopefully in the long run the squad will gel and it will work out, if not it's back to the lower leagues and long ball for me!! lol

And yeah zapoi Ron Maiden is a homage to the mighty Irons!! :)

4-4-2 at SLB

I need some help with my 4-4-2. I'm playing benfica and in the first two seasons i 've won everithing in Portugal except the most important: the league. All the cups are mine and in the League 2 second place to Sporting at a distance of one point... :mad: the ohter teams are very week...

I've a real problem with my striker. I can only get one to play well. If i use a target player (like Cardoso), only him will play well. The other striker just stays way from the game. If i dont use a TP, both of them play really bad and i don't get any goals.

i've tried different styles of play for the team and playing configurations for each one of the forwards, the remaining elements of the team play well... but the strikers... still play bad...

help please!

Well, I am with Benfica too. Cardozo is amazing. But probably, if you are using suazo, it is becauze he sucks. tootally. If not, well...Hire a goood coach with high attacking attribute. Or maybe they morale is just too low...What strikers are you using?

Just takes time

I know what you mean. I found it really difficult at the beginning of the season. I started with Newcastle United and found I was getting some really poor results, then I moved things around a bit and after time started to get some points in the bag. Currently playing 4-3-3, lying in 6th and scoring goals. I made a couple of signings aswell. Keirrison was a good little signing, bagged a few goals for me so far. Aiming for UEFA cup next season.

I know what you mean. I found it really difficult at the beginning of the season. I started with Newcastle United and found I was getting some really poor results, then I moved things around a bit and after time started to get some points in the bag. Currently playing 4-3-3, lying in 6th and scoring goals. I made a couple of signings aswell. Keirrison was a good little signing, bagged a few goals for me so far. Aiming for UEFA cup next season.

Yep... I have Keirrison too... he sucked in the second season when i bought him, but due to the tactic i was using...

i'm now in my pre-3-season, i´ve downloaded some of the tactis available in FM-Base, i'm using 4-4-2 attacking, and they're playing great!!

Pre-season until now:

SLB VS Belenenses > 3:2
Hamburgo VS SLB > 0:2 (yeah... great result and dominated!)
SLB VS Olimpyakos > 3:0 :)D)

it seems that my old tactic concepts for FM2008, just don't work in 09. :$

Thanks for your replys.

Yep... I have Keirrison too... he sucked in the second season when i bought him, but due to the tactic i was using...

i'm now in my pre-3-season, i´ve downloaded some of the tactis available in FM-Base, i'm using 4-4-2 attacking, and they're playing great!!

Pre-season until now:

SLB VS Belenenses > 3:2
Hamburgo VS SLB > 0:2 (yeah... great result and dominated!)
SLB VS Olimpyakos > 3:0 :)D)

it seems that my old tactic concepts for FM2008, just don't work in 09. :$

Thanks for your replys.

AHAH, ****** greeks...h8 'em. ;) Quim is awful, sometimes

Yeah! but amazing is selling him to Inter at age 34 for 1.5M... :)

for this season i bought Ansejo... i played a bit yesterday and i'm now qualified to Champions League groups (i started in 2 round qualifiers) and in 3 round of league, with only 2 goals against...