Same thing with my Girondines! My players loose possesion so easy, and frequently pass into oponents legs. All those mistakes are goalscoring opportunity for opponents. Other teams, no mather how good or bad they are, are passing like Arsenal, defending like Chelsea, moving like Liverpool and scoring like MANUTD. I am not so bad, I win 2/3 of my games, have some good players (4 Franch league) but mostly thanks to Ulrich Rame who makes wonders in front of my goal. Opponents easy catch my lead, even if it's 2-0 or 3-0. And yes there is a f.ckin' "gap" between my mid and def lines, that oponents always use, no mater how tight my formation is!!!

Arsenal

I'm playing with Liverpool, currently in my 3rd season. My main problem is I simply cannot beat Arsenal. Here is the terrible recap of my history with Arsenne Wengers squad. In my first season I played them twice in the league, and lost both games. My overall league record was 26 won, 9 draws, 3 lost. Two of which were to Arsenal. I finished 2nd in the league behind Arsenal. To add to that I played Arsenal in the Champions League Final and lost.

Next season begins and I play Arsenal in the Community Shield. I didnt win the FA Cup but Arsenal won the treble so being that I finished 2nd in the league, I played in teh Shield game. I lost to Arsenal. I then los to Arsenal in the semi-finals of the FA cup and twice in the league. I did manage to hold Arsenal off for the league, which I won with a record of 28 won, 8 draws, 2 loses, both to Arsenal.

This year my team is currently 9 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. You guessed it, my loss was to Arsenal. That means that I am 0-8 against Arsenal. In 2 and a 1/3 years at the helm I've lost a total of 6 Premier League games, 5 of them to Arsenal. I just can't beat them. In general I use an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation which gets Torres an insane number of goals. I've tried every kind of tactic I can think of against Arsenal. I've tried really defensive to try to clog it up, I've tried really aggressive to try to play back at them. I've tried possession football, I've tried to counterattack. It just doesn;t matter. The thing is that most of the losses are bad. I haven't kep exact track but my guess would be that in the 8 games I've lost to them I've conceded 25 goals and maybe scored 5. I feel I have a great team, made alot of good transfers and I do great against every other team I play. Does anyone out there have any idea how to play against Arsenal's style of play? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm playing with Liverpool, currently in my 3rd season. My main problem is I simply cannot beat Arsenal. Here is the terrible recap of my history with Arsenne Wengers squad. In my first season I played them twice in the league, and lost both games. My overall league record was 26 won, 9 draws, 3 lost. Two of which were to Arsenal. I finished 2nd in the league behind Arsenal. To add to that I played Arsenal in the Champions League Final and lost.

Next season begins and I play Arsenal in the Community Shield. I didnt win the FA Cup but Arsenal won the treble so being that I finished 2nd in the league, I played in teh Shield game. I lost to Arsenal. I then los to Arsenal in the semi-finals of the FA cup and twice in the league. I did manage to hold Arsenal off for the league, which I won with a record of 28 won, 8 draws, 2 loses, both to Arsenal.

This year my team is currently 9 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. You guessed it, my loss was to Arsenal. That means that I am 0-8 against Arsenal. In 2 and a 1/3 years at the helm I've lost a total of 6 Premier League games, 5 of them to Arsenal. I just can't beat them. In general I use an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation which gets Torres an insane number of goals. I've tried every kind of tactic I can think of against Arsenal. I've tried really defensive to try to clog it up, I've tried really aggressive to try to play back at them. I've tried possession football, I've tried to counterattack. It just doesn;t matter. The thing is that most of the losses are bad. I haven't kep exact track but my guess would be that in the 8 games I've lost to them I've conceded 25 goals and maybe scored 5. I feel I have a great team, made alot of good transfers and I do great against every other team I play. Does anyone out there have any idea how to play against Arsenal's style of play? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mate, i have problem with arsenal, too. but my problem is kind a different. you see the problem is they are unbeatable !!!! im managing united, im second in EPL, because of arsenal. they are first with score 15 wins, 0 draws and 1 loss. this is simply impossible. im second with score 12 wins 3 draws and 1 loss. i have conceded only 6 goals in 16 matches, but still i cant catch them. im trailing 6 points and the next game is vs arsenal at emirates...

mate, i have problem with arsenal, too. but my problem is kind a different. you see the problem is they are unbeatable !!!! im managing united, im second in EPL, because of arsenal. they are first with score 15 wins, 0 draws and 1 loss. this is simply impossible. im second with score 12 wins 3 draws and 1 loss. i have conceded only 6 goals in 16 matches, but still i cant catch them. im trailing 6 points and the next game is vs arsenal at emirates...

They are just so good in teh EPL. In my 2nd season I won the league but barely. At one point I was 12 pts clear of 2nd place and 15 clear of Arsenal. They then went on a 23 match unbeaten run to tie me going into the final game of the year. Lucky for me, they drew that game and I won mine so I won the league. This year I am 1 pt ahead of them through 15 games. I am 11 won, 3 draws, 1 loss. They are 10 won, 5 drawn, 0 loss. My 1 loss was to them. I feel like if I could just get draws against them in the league my team would be in fine shape, but I just cant figure them out.

im glad im not the only one struggling i started to think all of a sudden im useless lol im man utd my defenders always get caught out by the strikers, ive dropped ferdinand for evans cos rio is just useless, always getting told by assistant too much space between defence and midfield no matter what i do and berbatov, teves hardly score and get **** ratings and rooney wouldnt even score with a granny HHHEEEELLLPPP think i will go and manage the super Posh instaed

hi,

About the space between def and midfielders. Just use a high defensive line and play offside... but tihis is not all... use also an attacking mentality in all your defenders and some agressive pressure... dont tell them to stay always back...

In fm2008 this would be suicide... but in 09 works great... i'm starting my 4th season with SLB and in the last one with this tactics won everithing in portugal and made it to semi finals of Champions... lost to ManUtd (11th penalty kick... :) )...

ok cheers for that info mate will give it a go once everybody gone home so i can get the laptop out and get playing.... how i hate working week days lol

I've gotten past my issues with Arsenal for the time being, beating them in our 2nd regular season match and then beating them in the FA Cup Final. So I am pleased with that. I've won the league consecutive years now and my team this year should easily be the best I've had. My owner gave me a 45 mil transfer budget, which I supplemented by transferring out Keirrison, Aliaksander Hleb and Christian Maggio. I then signed Lionel Messi for 50 mil and Christian Zapata for 35. I still have about 30 mil left which I will use to add depth at attacking midfield and defender. My main group of players is pretty set for teh coming season though:

GK-Pepe Reina
LD-Federico Balzeratti
CD-Federico Fazio
CF-Christian Zapata
RD-Aboubar Bendango (created by game last year, but excellent player)
CM-Javier Mascherano
CM-Steven Gerrard
AML-Mirko Vucinic
AMC-Lionel Messi
AMR-Bojan
ST-Fernando Torress

My top reserves are Andrea Dossena, Daniel Agger, Lassana Diarra, Marquinhos and Diego Buonanotte.

I've gotten past my issues with Arsenal for the time being, beating them in our 2nd regular season match and then beating them in the FA Cup Final. So I am pleased with that. I've won the league consecutive years now and my team this year should easily be the best I've had. My owner gave me a 45 mil transfer budget, which I supplemented by transferring out Keirrison, Aliaksander Hleb and Christian Maggio. I then signed Lionel Messi for 50 mil and Christian Zapata for 35. I still have about 30 mil left which I will use to add depth at attacking midfield and defender. My main group of players is pretty set for teh coming season though:

GK-Pepe Reina
LD-Federico Balzeratti
CD-Federico Fazio
CF-Christian Zapata
RD-Aboubar Bendango (created by game last year, but excellent player)
CM-Javier Mascherano
CM-Steven Gerrard
AML-Mirko Vucinic
AMC-Lionel Messi
AMR-Bojan
ST-Fernando Torress

My top reserves are Andrea Dossena, Daniel Agger, Lassana Diarra, Marquinhos and Diego Buonanotte.

What a squad!!! I can't get this kind of players with Benfica. I've got good money but the big stars dont want to play for me... but i still manage to have a strong team... with lot og awesome players that are less known...

Mean time i've started a game with Arsenal.... :D

poshboy:

Please give me feedback about the changes to the defensive line, did they worked for you?

antipat1q, it does indeed take a while for your team to adjust if you change their style of play. To start with, my Luton side were unimpressed when I said I was going to play some 'score more than you' football, as the club generally has a more defensive ethos. However, after 7-8 matches they have become used to it, and whenever I say we are off to attack in a press conference they positively love it.

Anyway, I find that the best tactic is the good old 4-4-2 with a small, speedy striker and a classic centre forward - big and good in the air. Keep the passing mixed (i.e. not down the flanks), and employ a more attacking central midfielder alongside a more defensive one...almost creating a diamond during attacking plays. This, coupled will high tempo, little time wasting, all round closing down and an attacking mentality seems to be doing the job - I have picked up 21 points in 9, and this is from a 'relegation candidate' team. Oh, and don't forget you don't want your centre backs wandering off, so take away their forward runs, set closing down to own half, and mentality as either normal or defensive - whichever floats your boat really, they both work just as well, but normal gives you some extra flexibility when attacking.

Hope this helps a bit!

Listen to this guy thanks mate

What a squad!!! I can't get this kind of players with Benfica. I've got good money but the big stars dont want to play for me... but i still manage to have a strong team... with lot og awesome players that are less known...

Mean time i've started a game with Arsenal.... :D

poshboy:

Please give me feedback about the changes to the defensive line, did they worked for you?

I still have issues with Arsenal, although its gotten better. What I've done is give both my holding mids back arrows, which allows me to keep my CDs deep but prevent Arsenal from having a huge open area in the middle of the pitch.

In reality I think the main thing is that I just keep making my team awesome through transfers. Arsenal is just real good in this game, Adebeyar is one of the best strikers, Fabregas is the best playmaker and Walcott is one of the very best wingers. In order to really keep up with them I've had to improve my team. My squad now is:

GK-Pepe Reina
LD-Federico Balzaratti
CD-Federico Fazio
CD-Christian Zapata
RD-Aboubar Bengondo
CM-Javier Mascherano
CM-Lassana Diarra
AMR-Bojan
AMC-Lionel Messi
AML-Mirko Vucinic
ST-Fernando Torres

Then on the bench I have
GK-Sergio Asenjo
CD-Daniel Agger
CM-Morgan Schniedlin
CM-Steven Defour
AMR-Andrei Arshavin
AMC-Sergio Aguero
AML-Diego Buonanotte

Its pretty crazy to have Aguero on the bench, in reality I probably should have tried to use that money for a leftback, namely Gareth Bale. Its just alot more fun to bring in guys who can score goals though. Plus my team allowed the fewest goals last year, so my D is solid. Besides with injuries and all of that Aguero starts as many games as Torres, Bojan, Messi and Vucinic anyway.

definitely harder!

THE GOOD- I'm newcastle in the EPL, and am doing really well. Juan mata is a quality signing, dunno what his valuation is on anyone else' game, but his asking price was set to £2.6m!! and not wanted by the club, btw he's a wonderkid when you first start off! Also, there's a few quality free signings when you start out, i.e, ronaldo (major injury setback, but when he recovers he's unreal!), appiah(although I couldn't get a work permit for love nor money!?). The great emerson is also not wanted by AC milan and is quality, he can be signed either on loan or permanently for real cheap! then there's marcelo, his asking price lies at about £4.5m, well worth it, and some how, he chose to sign for me over man city!
THE BAD- Despite my promising start to the season, most of my players are concerned, either with my managing skills, the club under-achieving,(which they are far from doing), or just generally unhappy with the unrest at the club!?!? like WTF?!?! newcastle 4th and everyones unhappy? I don't get it? also, there's no way on earth to get m.owen to sign a new contract, he's simply a money grabbing ****, just face up to it and let him go! then there's collocin, he got suspended in a reserve game while recovering from injury, got hit with a 4 game suspension, then when he was eligable to play again, he was bemused by the fact I didn't treat him as a first team regular? again, WTF?!?! He's one of the best defenders on the game, if I could've played him, without a doubt I would've. Now I face an uphill struggle to keep the *****. Whats that all about? Is the game just flawed in this department?

I agree it is ridiculously hard but i dont really have an issue with that.

The thing I take issue with is that you set up a new game, make a few decent signings and then play pre season to see how they fit in. Romp all your games in pre season. including against teams much better than yourself and in a higher division and then as soon as the season starts, you cant buy a goal for toffee and lose pretty much every match.

How can pre season have been so effective yet when the league starts, no one seems to play even with the same tactics. Just makes no sense and is royally p*ssing me off

make it sucks, win all home games then lose against wba away its like ok.... as if....