746b8023a55e545b57d9d94a6fc482db.png

We travelled away to league runaway leaders Milano United and it was a really big game, not only in our efforts to compete for the title but also just to try hold onto play off spots.

However, we weren't good enough. We went 1-0 up, before they equalised right away and then grabbed a second. Prior to half time we grabbed our second through Burds at the back post.

In the second half, they grabbed two and were seemingly all over us and we just couldn't get out our half until I changed up our style of play and started to play a lot more direct, Arendse found himself through on goal and grabbed a huge goal but we couldn't find a fourth.

We managed a big 3-0 in the following game to make up for this though.

2e1ba22be387bfaffd968c32201aa6a6.png

Losing it

grimsbyfanrant.jpg

Honestly, I knew it was going to be bad.. Well, more hard than bad playing with a right back at left back and a centre back at right back without our star man playing on the right wing while being away to the club right on our tail but I didn't think it would be this bad. It was embarrassing. We stopped functioning and everything we were working on didn't work.

It was half time and we were 3-0 down, with them having 3 shots on target. Our keeper had started to absolutely suck. Like, no other words and no one was able to play football. It was actually silly.

I exploded in that changing room, threw water bottles and tops about and told them what they were playing for. They knew I was happy to cut contracts if players didn't pull their weight.

I didn't care about compensation fees or nothing, if they wouldn't play well for me I'd say good bye.

ffa2516c66e0538a9ecb1e7e952a3795.png

None of them had a club anymore, they didn't play well and demanding football. Have your £15,000 and go.

I sent them back out. I hadn't been this angry before but we had to be more consistent. I couldn't be all nice. Contracts can be cut, words can be said. We had to play better in these games, it doesn't matter if there's 3 key players missing and a Keeper missing his hands.

And then it happened again, one pass, two pass, lose the ball and they broke up the wing once more crossed the ball into the back stick, keeper reached for nothing and it is 4-0.

Do we really rely on these 2 or 3 players that much? I was absolutely raging, the official had to calm me down. It was an absolute joke and this was all because Arendse had become the target of tackles in EVERY game.

Then it quickly became apparent how everyone was on the end of a rough challenge and the ref did nothing. I had players limping all over the park and they were all fresh and fit. I left with 4 minutes to go to calm a little before I talked to my players and had post match interviews.

Whether or not my anger laid with the sheer aggressiveness of the opposition or whether it was due to the fact this aggressiveness was accompanied by a diabolical football display, I don't know.

But those players were still getting a bollocking for their performance.

e5a19d2e8007dd74c60df51c5b4301d3.png

18587291d1604fda4999a4a9d29fb75c.png

11 games to go as we lose a huge game in the race for play offs.

Aggressive approach, I love it!

Hope you turn things around with a few wins. :)

"Bad result today?"

The suited club chairman said as I was leaving the ground, he was incredibly busy I was surprised he was here. I think this was his second time here, the first time was our poor 1-1 at the start of the season.

"Yeah, embarrassing really. Don't know what happened, will need to pick up for Baroka next week." I stretched out a hand as I attempted to create conversation.

He just mumbled and walked past my hand.

"Finances are too bad too, we lost too much moneys."

I didn't really know what had just happened, but the club Chairman who apparently has a great track record with South African businesses and experience in America had just completely blanked me and took shots at the result today and told me in a round about way that our finances were looking poor.

I returned home to a Email full of ratios and numbers.

fefb3aa339bde77f74e2bee3880583e6.png

790613de95d1270f9ae17af45f709766.png

Where had our money gone? I know that I have thrown around £125,000 towards compensation but the board always accepted releases. We were falling into a bit of a mess.

I had to completely focus on Baroka FC next week though. Absolutely massive game.

Baroka FC (h)

32d99931f4aa33e1425e887126dc7a41.png

We were setting up to welcome second-placed Baroka FC to the Athlone Stadium after our dismal 4-0 defeat. It was a massive game, we hadn't lost 2 games in a row before and we needed this game to bounce back. We were at a risk of a poor run of form that would cost us promotion chances.

At the same time, a win for Baroka FC here would really help solidify their promotion chances and their chase for first.

The players knew the importance of this match. They needed to want this for themselves.

Half time arrived and literally nothing had happened. It was so cagey.

I decided I would try shake Baroka up, play a very direct style, play fast and just shock them. It worked and we went 1-0 up within four minutes through some nice link up play in the final third.

Lakay and Sidibe linked up once more for an immediate second. Then with 25 to go, Sidibe grabbed his own and things were going very well and I was a much happier man than last week.

Lakay was doing everything and grabbed his second assist as we went 4-0 up, he had a knock so I replaced him so he couldn't grab a hat trick of either goals or assists unfortunately.

Everyone played so well and it was a completely new team from last week.

cfa8ea16aa291fd6ddcf483ea16d1952.png

After the match, I once again walked past the chairman.

"Good result today, work good"

"Thanks, that was the true us out there."

"Yes, yes. Much better."

It was a better interaction than the week prior, it was bizarre to see him 2 weeks in a row. The clubs offices and such were at the ground unsurprisingly and it was clear he was working very hard and was taken an interest in the club.

I looked into the finances a little more, I mean, how much were we spending compared to other clubs?

5d0a758c9d0bb9bbe20737472b745cb4.png

7030732241be0b9b6ca19f891495e041.png

Hmm, we are working finances better there, but nothing has come out of other clubs struggling and losing as much as we are.

"I no think it looks good" called the Assistant Manager as he came through to my office on the Monday, Modibo Sidibe had collided with the opposition in the air on Saturday and was in a real amount of pain.

"What's the date?" I asked back, looking up from BBC Sport's ACON report.

"2 or.. or maybe even 3 months"

"2 to 3 months? Are you serious? Least we have that Amidu in now." Thankfully I brought in a couple of players before the financial issues stood out and we had a few decent players ready to play up top.

"Yeah, and man Lark, he's good. Very good."

He's right, Lark was a very good stand in. With 3 goals in 4 starts. Amidu was a similar player to Sidibe however, and I will look to give him a run now.

caf00438caf3a3b9d8ea056d28dee1a6.png

4bd84202f1e9e953c87cd3e4a5eb2c09.png

2abbb036799e81d786e975df8ddef9f9.png

Very disappointing that we couldn't pick up the vital 3 points but Jomo Cosmos try so hard against us, the crowd was very aggressive towards myself over the Summer where I turned down a move. I don't get why they are still holding such a grudge.

Getting scary at the top. Play offs are key, I want a promotion here to prove any doubters wrong.

76352b69ba0528e025fbbc172679aca1.png

Beating Big Boys

I didn't know how I felt with the South African FA Cup, people took it seriously but I was desperate to focus on the league.

However, this could be a nice opportunity to show off our talent and myself to the rest of South Africa.

In the Preliminary Round we played Vasco CT and had no issues with a second string line-up, winning 4-1. We were then drawn with Platinum Stars, away. They are in the title race in the big league and we were 10/1 while they were 1/6, we were not supposed to stand a chance.

We managed to scrape through in what was a tight affair though.

a7bcbda983a6157237cc7daff0692034.png

This puts us through to the final 8 and now it is actually a little exciting as we also compete for a spot in the National First Division Play Offs.

3353f2a0052aa76a3c64519d8c6fb49f.png

266001081e6f20027c5c7488f424ab12.png

They play in the Kwaza Zulu Natal division 2.

Fagrie Lakay told me a while back he wanted a move to Jeonbuk and I said if they came in I would say yeah, however, while they come in with peanuts I refuse to accept. This didn't go down too well.

1a31145e78f6681c71968e1026df09af.png

Arendse did his best to explain why I turned down the offer but Lakay was still keen to leave and I tried to work out money with a few South Korean clubs.

He'll see out the season with us as a key man but if he wants to go and if we need money at the club what else is there to do?

121d871bfee2bedb26dc3d28cc930c9d.png

Very decent money for the club.

ef90ff5707e59839eea2e88e0c9a0f0b.png

Youth

Young players was all I knew before I came to South Africa and I was alerted by our Head of Youth (and only Youth coach) that we had our Under 16's coming through, plus a few other players from around the area.

I didn't expect much but a few from the training session really stood out.

638c4a7c8c383c0ef2c4c53b376299e3.png

e8d08ff4bcae5f8d85a7bd9a2ca366e3.png

5a47da961cce04530e0967e240775a82.png

A few players who will train with us and we can see how they improve.

The Run-In

0ff0a59cff097d6337f2733c0861721a.png

The play offs were in touching distance but there was 3 of us chasing 1 spot. We could no longer mathematically win the league but that had been too far away from us for a while now as Milano United have dominated.

971c058b46ea6d557364fb584c81e89b.png

Milano United will be tough, I aimed for 60 points in January and that is possible with 4 W's. Scarily tight, ultimately feel 10 points should be enough, hopefully even 9.

Got the South African FA Cup to think about too.

Have a pretty full, fit squad too bar Modibo Sidibe.

Ga-Rankuwa Utd

200px-Garutd.jpeg

I really expected to pick up the three points and it was so important we did not choke.

I let the lads know the sheer importance of this game, they knew themselves too. They knew what they wanted, a few weren't going to be with us wherever we finished this season but they had to play for each other.

Arendse gave us a lead as we went into half time. It was a very quiet first half but we were doing enough.

Despite being all over them a defensive disaster lead to them equalising with 20 to go.

From kick off we lost the ball and a long ball over the top lead to their second..

I got a little anxious on the touchline and just told them to get creative, do something in order to get something from the game.

Burds grabbed our second with 5 to go as we continued to throw everything we could. Allie then had a huge chance with literally seconds to go but the keeper palmed it wide. The following corner saw a Rankuwa player knock the ball just wide of the post, they managed to get the ball clear and all pressure.

I thought it was over and then all of a sudden there was a scrap in our box but thankfully they smashed it over the bar.

40f7e296e814fc1c47c92a79bf881d14.png

The South African FA Cup

1836688a3a7322446ba71f254d6fb28a.png

This was a competition I didn't really care for but now we have a shot at the semi finals as we meet Blackburn (RSA) in the Quarters.

Team was switched up a bit and we clearly had issues finding motivation to play against the weaker side as they dominated the first half.

However, I clearly said something right at half time as we grabbed a goal early on in the second half through Amidu.

But, we fell off again as they began to get a good few shots away before scoring with 15 to go. I was clearly not delighted with this as we really shouldn't be struggling here.

The game was stupidly scrappy as we found our way through a stubborn defence just to throw the ball over the bar from 6 yards out.

Coburn Woodington, of the Blackburn RSA squad then found himself tripping Mabaso in the full box and we saw the penalty converted by Arendse, making up for his miss moments before.

But they kept fighting and somehow a 30 yard audacious attempt found its way into the bottom corner with seconds to go.

Extra time had to await.

Our team were clearly beginning to tire and they found themselves a goal ahead via a corner early.

We were abysmal.

League awaits.

"Bad news, boss. That's Elrio joining Falziel on the sidelines now."

"For [BEEP]sakes, man. We've thrown this haven't we, now?"

That means that 2/3 of my best central midfielders are out as we set up for the biggest games of the season. Also have 2 out of 3 of my main central defenders suspended as we set up for Milano United.

We would need to go big. And hope other teams also slipped up..

Milano boss Hempe continues to try get at me through the media but I can't help but laugh at his attempts.

I would change the way we play going into the game too, we had relied on our 4-2-3-1 but I was confident in switching it a bit and playing a 4-4-2. I was also desperately hoping they would take their foot of the gas since the league was already theirs.

It wasn't the case and they were still too strong, however I was told at full time that Black Leopards lost too.

ea4de216e9b1502d0b70970ed1367e7a.png

90f20616ad55e08faaa0f88c2e0f216d.png

Sidibe returns with a bang as we get our first win in three.

a133752caaeb9161da117dc1a2d4a63b.png

b53bcad2d5cf1df4f680b0b6a24f7364.png

Must better the result of Black Leopards or hope Baroka FC lose in order to quality for the play off Mini League.

"Hello James, how confident are you ahead of Saturday?"

It was the chairman, given me a call as I caught up with last weeks Match of the Day, just aiming to chill before the big games this weekend.

"I mean, we can do our work. No bother, comes down to the others clubs unfortunately."

954e988f2251f3fdefc8d737192cf004.png

It was a predicament we shouldn't have been in, but second half of the season inconsistencies really meant we were going into the final day reliant on other clubs. What makes it worse is that the Black Leopards game got shifted to the Sunday as they play already relegated Cape Town All Stars. Baroka FC, who I would need to lose to overtake on the Saturday, were set to play Witbank Spurs. The Kings of mediocrity as we set up to play African Warriors a team who have surged into a position where they could take 4th from us with a win.

"Well, James. I must say you have done well this year but our finances and Summer plans really mean promotion would be nice. I can't help but feel we'd fall into a bad way next year. You wouldn't get funds and we'd need to sell. It's a harsh reality."

Talk about ****** pressure, eh?

"I mean, how bad is the finances?" I responded. Curious as to see how bad we were looking.

ee40561d6025939b368a2c6f4f404b9e.png

"I emailed you some details, nothing crazy. It isn't bad and we have Pohang money coming through too. You know after selling Lakay for around £400,000. But money is still leaking."

"Yeah, I see. I see, well I can assure you we will do everything in our power tomorrow. Thanks for calling."

089036fbc239899aa37121fc403d20d3.png

Good luck on the final day mate. That financial report makes for glum reading! :(