The Final Weekend

36601f118c56ff3a0c3cec7b24ab3a72.png

We were here, the final weekend. I woke earlier than usual after not really sleeping and just made way to our ground to wait for the boys and the bus. It was half 8 in the morning and I wanted them here for 11, I sat with a coffee and a paper.

It annoyed me that we probably wouldn't go up, this wouldn't bug me though had we not been in a position to make it our spot before today or the fact staying down would mean a financial catastrophe.

A few of my key players were already setting up for big moves so I was really worried that they just wanted their season to end so they could get a nice long break before their shots elsewhere. Not winning promotion could be an easy excuse for a few of them too, had a move not already been secured.

A few of the lads began to show and the bus came. We arrived and all packed into a cramp changing room.

"Boys, I know that for a few of you it doesn't matter if we go up. I get that. But you have to show Africa what you can do. Show your next club that you can fight your way through big games. Lets do it one more time and lets just pray results come our way and we find ourselves playing a couple more games in a mad attempt at getting promoted. Do it one more time for Santos FC."

And off they went, motivated and captivated.

I tried a little tactic to score off the bat, kick off, long ball, across goal. Goal.

And it paid off.

We were 1-0 up after 15 seconds.

I would refuse to pay attention to Baroka FC's score. Knowing they'd probably not lose anyway.

And then it was 2-0, after 90 seconds.

Nevermind.

c2515f6663d066fd148e0f6939a6e2b3.png

Half time arrived and I could only tell them to keep doing as they are and the result will come.

However, a corner came in and they sneaked a head in at the front post. It was 1-1 and we were not going to qualify for play offs.

We began to really push and a true fighting spirit came from the players. A scrappy mess was followed by the ball rolling to Lakay on the edge of the 18, he drilled it across the keeper and into the far corner. 20 minute to go and we were doing what we had to do. I hadn't heard anything from the Baroka FC game and assumed they would be leading so I didn't celebrate too much.

Full time.

"Hey boss, Baroka won I am afraid."

"Gutted you are leaving us, Fagrie. Huge performance today."

"Yeah, boss. I know. I just like playing and I want to be the best I can be."

"For sure, promotion might still be possible if that Leopard side drop points tomorrow."

"Yeah, we shall see. If not, boss. Thanks for everything."

Officially it was the end, there was 1 game to be played and it was probably going to be a Black Leopard victory. I sent players away, with an awards night planned for May 16th, the following weekend. But Fagrie, unless a big win for relegated Cape Town All Stars was going to be on his way to settle and learn the language and culture of South Korea.

I went to a 'British-Style Pub' and drank away that night, my good old Assistant Manager who was a huge help joined me and it was a decent night out, despite the pub being dead bar a few aggressive drunks dotted around the place.

I woke up with a nasty hangover but had an email from the club.

2595302c326d18293f87cd9639244022.png

They clearly had confident in our Cape Town-based buddies, Cape Town All Stars.

Least I did good. In their eyes.

The Black Leopards tie was set to be on the radio and I thought I'd throw it on while going over emails, calls and the sort.

Miracles can happen, right?

As hot chocolate once sang "I believe in miracles......" :p

Apparently so.

0fd8498281aca8ee283a8946e5065da1.png

724beee6e6b4f35cacc7e0afedc92b69.png

Calls were going crazy.. I mean, we only needed a draw and I actually began to really think it was happening. The game was close and Cape Town AS were fighting for it. Pressure began to mount on them late on and then a free kick was won then converted by Mr M. Johnson.

Firstly, the chairman.

"We got play offs, friend! Great job so far, now just finish it!"

Then the kid Fagrie Lakay

"Twitter says Cape Town All Stars won, boss? Lets go!"

And then my assistant manager showed up with a lot of booze. It was only the play offs and I was still dying from the night prior but lets get on it! I wasn't expected to touch the top 3 and got criticised for having no experience.

I can actually do something with this managerial thing.

@SFA_North: Ex-Staff member James McKenze has just made the play offs for the prem over in SAfrica..

@SAFootballJournal: Black Leopards lose?! Santos and Mr Scotland have play offs to look out for.​

Promotion?

I mean, I didn't really think when I joined we would finish in the play off spots. I didn't expect the players to warm to me quite like they did and injuries really muddled things up. But here we are, setting up to compete in the play off Mini-League. Baroka FC, Santos FC and Tuks, who have won 1 in their last 10.

The players were stoked, they thought we messed it up and they were all up for it. Again, I misjudged them. I thought they'd be ready to leave me and the club but they wanted this. Lakay, the kid destined for huge things in South Korea, wanted this.

9bd720d098fbe8409f0fb68b88c99eeb.png

I wanted this.

I needed this.

We traveled to play Tuks first and honestly we shouldn't have issues. They have been awful and we are desperate for this. We were favourites with the media too, the one issue is we hadn't played in 14 days while their season ended last weekend. But I was still confident and we needed 3 points. Baroka were on fire.

---------------------------------------------------------
HOLD THAT THOUGHT - FM IS GREAT

814a9d5ccc8d3fc6eba0d231b1530f5c.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXED? -EDIT FROM HERE-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got hit with tragic news though, Tyren Arendse was playing around with a few family members and twisted his ankle and misses the play offs.

Our best player all season. Gutting but means someone must step up.

"Boys, we need to show up right [BEEP]ing now, play our game and we have this 100%."

However, they hit us with our own medicine early on.

Then we hit them right back! 1-1! 3 Minutes.

They began to get really quite aggressive but a defensive blunder meant Allie was through on goal. He was chased and he tried to cut back but his legs got chopped. Penalty kick. No Arendse to take but Falziel Johnson could step up.. and he did. 2-1!

My Assistant Manager, the man I spent the season with drinking and chilling was loving it and his celebrations got him a telling off from the fourth official! Love that guy.

Immediately after our Penalty Kick we continued to press and Allie, Arendse's replacement was playing out of his skin. A ball from wide moved a crazy amount in the air and the keeper just palmed it behind him to Sidibe who smashed it from an awkward angle.

3-1.

"Boss man, this is easy! No problems!"

This was looking easy to be fair. I just smiled as he celebrated away with the substitutes and non-playing staff.

Another defensive blunder saw Sidibe through but he couldn't capitalise.

Early in the second half a well struck shot did find its way into our net, 3-2.

Scary but still confident.

I mean, we had 3 games after this but a win here would be massive and so important in our attempts to gain promotion as Baroka really were on fire.

Their manager got them going. We couldn't string 2 passes together. 3-3 after abysmal defending.

**** disappointing. Huge comeback from Tuks.

Last edited:
"Hello James!"

The voice echoed from my front door, it was a sound I was getting used to. It was Monde Magadla, my assistant manager, and I guess best friend. He really welcomed me to South Africa and is great fun. He would usually swing by with Whiskey, Rum or sometimes some mad African homemade brew that would blind people but he said it was safe and this is the same man who helped me get Santos FC to a top 3 finish so who could doubt him?

"Monday! How's it going?"

"Not bad James, we have to think about Baroka this week. Big test, big test."

We didn't discuss football too much, mainly drank and talked about Man City saying bye to Pellegrini, Monday didn't follow football around the world too much but he knew his African football incredibly well. He was good with people and like me he knew how to get the best out of individuals. Neither of us had playing experience either, but we somehow worked well together and knew what to do. Well, so we thought. We still had to prove ourselves against Baroka.

I opted to try something different against them, I wanted to play Amidu and Sidibe as Amidu didn't deserve to lose his place just because Sidibe was back and I didn't want to commit 2 men up front.

I shifted the influencial whizz kid, Lakay onto the right and trusted Amidu to play behind Sidibe.

"Guys, I can't stress how big today is. We need a win to keep ourselves a little bit away from Baroka. If they win they go 2 ahead with a game in hand against that awful Tuks side. Lets play today. Lets go big!"

I couldn't stress the importance anymore. We failed to get 3 from Tuks away and now had to go big against a team who had lost once in their last five, conceding 2.

We were favourites, but I didn't feel the same way.

The game got underway and they were all over us. Lakay looked uninterested on the right and they finally broke through just before the half ended.

Lakay really just looked like he didn't care. This was a real bad one as we needed him. I brought him into the middle and replaced Amidu.

The second half saw us strike first through Sidibe. Moonsamy and Lakay linked on the right and the cross found a strong Sidibe head.

We would break but no one would accompany Sidibe or Allie, I told the lads to try get forward. Hopefully Baroka don't hit us.

Baroka were just too strong though and we were looking like we felt sorry for ourselves. After a scrap in the box they hit a shot across goal and the keeper couldn't see it. 2-1.

They grabbed another.

"Promotion looks unlikely now, with more points being dropped wouldn't you say?"

I didn't really have a response, what was I supposed to say? Does the journalist just want to me to say that we weren't going up? And I couldn't get over Lakay, the kid didn't show up. His interest dropped after a huge game against Tuks.

And yes, the journalist probably was right. We failed against Tuks and Lakay cost us the Baroka game. It would be stupidly hard to beat Baroka to promotion. We had 2 games to play, and needed 2 wins just to have a sniff at promotion while Baroka had 3 games and were already ahead of us.

I told him after the game how incredibly poor he was and his attitude would have shown to the Pohang man watching from the side.

"Like seriously, no one will want a kid if he refuses to show up in big games. You have been very decent all season, the Pohang assistant manager shows up and all of a sudden you stop caring? Like you're bigger than us? That doesn't rub well with the lads from South Korea either. Show up next game and PLAY!"

c0c46e2989f806263812e92a378c5359.png

32c82e05da879fc806008a3c8fc45e44.png

With a draw and a loss it did look unlikely.

Miracles do happen though.

But seriously, if we fail to earn promotion it may be that I hunt for a job elsewhere, finances are abysmal and I just couldn't face a year where I could realistically do awful because of the players at my disposal. If I left here I could have a shot at a decent side and really push on.

363af5ac7588da9887ca17f75621a594.png

"Tuks won.. We can go up, boss man!"
called Monday as he came through to my office.

I glared up.

"What?"

"Yes, yes. Tuks, they won."

After defeat to Baroka, we saw out Tuks and scraped a 3-2. I switched Lakay and Amidu and it worked wonders as Amidu grabbed a hat trick and Lakay had a great game.

Now, I expected Tuks to roll over and be completely down and Baroka would smash them to confirm their promotion, but now if we BEAT Baroka away from home WE are promoted.

3ce28e52b7a2cce1361574f1820ea478.png

"We could do it." I replied, utterly shocked at the words I was hearing. How on Earth did Tuks do it?

We had an International break to wait through, 15 days away so I planned a friendly, friendly with our under 19 squad. Just a chill game to try a few things out. I have gone from seriously considering my options to thinking every second about this game. Were Baroka about to choke?

Do or Die

The odds were stacked against us, I mean we were to play against a strong Baroka side away from home. They had just lost to Tuks and had the International Break to mope about it while we were stoked at the prospect of actually winning promotion. Arendse was also fit to play, I couldn't drop anyone though so he will probably sit on the bench until I need his magic.

We are up for this game and I am determined to win. For me, for Monday, for the small amount of Santos fans that exist. This was the biggest game I, or many of these players, have experienced. I needed a Sidibe performance like no other, I needed another Lakay performance and if Amidu wanted to score a hat-trick I would have no problems with that. Johnson, Burds, Muller all had to show up and play their game for one last time this season.

The majority of the South African media could not split us, a few felt Baroka were too strong while others saw their latest defeat as a knockout punch.

6b26d6d83e35cb2510a858d0de60e18b.png

"One last time, boys. This is it. We've been given a second chance and I am determined to take it. This is easy, lads. Just do what you know and do it God Damned well!"

Nerves.

A few of the lads were also looking a little nervous before the game and I tried to calm them down. I mean a few of these players hadn't touched the Premier League here in a couple of seasons and a few would be looking at the pay rise once, and if, promoted.

c8e328244905d35c1e683157dcf11ccb.png

It was a cagey opening few minutes with Baroka having the best chances in the first half, it was particularly scary when Baroka smashed the underside of the bar and a few shouts and hands went up saying it had crossed the line, nothing was given. Not sure my heart could take this in all honestly!

The half came to a close and we were in a real position to try take this. A few key players weren't getting going and I tried to push Sidibe, Lakay and Burds into the game, letting them know exactly how I knew they could play.

Arendse came on as I brought Amidu off, he wasn't having the same effect down the right this time around and Arendse, despite only just returning, could definitely do something.

The second half was incredibly cagey to begin with, we didn't really press and they were happy to sit. A 0-0 suited them all day long. As it stood Baroka FC were going up. Sidibe picked up a knock with 20 to go and I decided just to go for it. Lakay played up top and Mabua came on to play behind the striker and my tiring full back came off for Lark, who could go on as another striker.

Instead of looking at just getting the ball forward I ordered us to play that ball into the box every time we got on it. Baroka were constantly allowing us to recycle position and they got stuck in a loop of pressure, their keeper made a huge save tipping a Lark header onto the bar in the 88th minute and it was looking like it was over.

They had a through ball called offside with 2 minutes to go and Touray came 40 yards out to take it, we had about 6 men dotted across their back line and the rest dropping off a couple of yards.

It was a long ball that got knocked on by our tall winger, Burds. Their full back missed the second header and Lark found himself through behind him. All he had to do was beat the keeper from an awkward angle..

It was made easier as this same keeper took poor steps towards him to meet him.

"YESSS!" Monday hopped onto my back screaming as the ball slipped into the back of the net. I turned and met the rest of my backroom staff and substitutes and then eventually Lark and a few players.

I took this moment to quickly tell them all to sit back and waste time. It should be easy from here on out.

And it was.

1-0!

"Huge win today, you must be a pretty happy man. Was it what you expected when you came to South Africa in July?"

"You know, I thought we could make the play offs when I came here. But in the way we have done it, it's been incredibly tough for the heart. I mean, we needed Cape Town All Stars to get a result from Black Leopards and then needed a down and out Tuks to do it against Baroka but we did it and I am thrilled."

"You have no real management or playing experience, how did the players warm to that when you came over?"

"The players were great, they said it didn't matter if I had played or not, what mattered is what I did here and it made things easier."

I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe we had just grabbed promotion in the last minute, the end of this season has been unbelievably dramatic. Now, I had a long summer ahead to look forward to a long season in the top tier, we would be losing a few players due to ambitions and contracts.

Hero Carl Lark would also probably be leaving because I don't feel he's really good enough, but then again, he just secured us promotion. Clubs finances were also an absolute mess.

//

Anyway, my first season in management was a pretty good one. I learned a lot and achieved a fair bit. I personally felt it was possible to make it up but we ended up making it tough for ourselves.

f0796d7b85f3cd3988ba930d944cc6f1.png

2ee274972789eae6b37f72961d55b59f.png

But we did it it when it mattered and now we have a lot to really do. A few huge performances this season allowed us to gain promotion and I delighted with how they have done.

56980475da269aead8aa6be29c3ea925.png

Arendse was an absolute don this year and Sidibe was a huge signing. Also delighted with performances from Muller, Sibanda, Lakay and Johnson. Amidu was also good but came in late and didn't feature too much due to my tactics and Sidibe being unreal!

9052cd32e60339aef165de07d69dfd5d.png

Arendse is getting on but still feel he will be a big player going into next season, it might be his last and he was once interested in moving away for one final real pay day. Hopefully promotion has changed his thoughts.

f729644e61c0693847fef296bb3ec69d.png

Sidibe is going no where! Started slow but just went off and smashed in goal after goal. Number 1 striker next year, great physicals too so he should be able to compete next year.

b460774de13430437f11693bd8c3eef9.png

Going to miss Lakay a lot, he was great after his injury and will be a miss.

I was to have a post-season meeting with the board, and all I really took out of it was the financial strain. I hadn't paid it too much attention as I wanted to focus on playing but it may become hard filling in gaps where I don't feel Premiership quality exists. I had to rebuild the staff too, Monday and I would remain, plus another coach who was very decent with the lads.

I was also redoing the scouting team, it was going to be a tough Summer.

Pre-Season Preparation

62158abdf1a6bbfe30239c994977d50b.png

Not long after we found ourselves promoted I was back to work, I didn't have time to return back to Scotland for a bit because of contracts and the sort, like I needed a full new scouting team, couple of coaches, a new head physio. Then there's actually bringing players into my team, which was hard when I had no scouts to talk me through the free's available so I would watch clips of them from the season prior and make my mind up. It was not easy.

The £400,000 from Lakay came through to boost the club a bit, took us out the red, for now. I was told he was available on loan, but he didn't want a return to South Africa so he could focus on learning more about South Korea.

I also had 4 emails and a call regarding Sidibe, clubs from South America, Europe, South Africa all after him but the money they talked about was just stupid. I decided to offer him another 2 years on his current deal that comes to an end in a year just to hold him down a bit and to confirm he wants to stay!

9e915d4be6921e5ed6f9893703dd7ea0.png

4633d34eee6a42dd496c41f5e5e87d5e.png

We all got together for a pre-season discussion, drink and to look at last seasons news. It ended up being a lot of drinking and we had a inter-squad friendly the following day so I can only imagine how that might go. The fan and fanzine votes had come through talking about our player of the year, team of the year and that so we had a small awards ceremony for that.

fd2e6100c8ddaf167bacce8e752da99c.png

Arendse smashed it but where on Earth was the votes for Lakay and Sidibe?!

a3e1f9566e0c7eb7cd6436d4b7fb32c2.png

This was my starting XI every game unless injuries, so no real surprise.

The South African FA also released their thoughts on all club competitions over the past season. Sidibe won signing of the season for the second tier.

e520262246ece3ab4912b4e53d9aa283.png

The Chairman also wanted to say a few words and did so:

"Well, I must say a very well done to all of you who competed last season so remarkably. Also a very well done to James McKenzie, or the so dubbed "Mr Scotland". But I really feel his name will be talked about now after a huge season with Santos FC and he's now got us back into the top tier. Next season will be tough but we have worked wonders before and I have every confidence in you lot to do it again. Thanks and good luck!"

He was right, it would be hard as I haven't been able to work wonders in the transfer market. Not finished though!

Opening 5!
482c936f73a824d19f5c5e85d3c8d191.png

Looking at it, well I mean I don't know a whole lot about South African football, even after being here for a year but I should probably aim for 6 points. PS, Swallows and Wits are all strong sides

SEASON OPENER
MEET THE SQUAD

"Quiet opener, hmm boss man?" said Monday as he limped towards me with a paper. We were meeting up for a coffee after the game to talk a little bit about it while discussing our squad and possible final additions.

"Yeah, very disappointed not to pick up 3 points but we never conceded either." I responded.

It was a cagey game, we were stronger but didn't manage to pick up the victory.

6a282025cb37d61d2c8a07a53c41e053.png

"But anyway boss man, what do you think we need now?" Monday bellowed as he sat down sliding a paper across the table, across all my reports. The paper had no use so I politely removed it from the table and began looking through everything.

"We're safe with our keepers." I mumbled.

"Yes yes, Pa and Chad."

c694b214f9a6cc835d3934fbb5920d58.png

06fe62e65080b4c26abc4a168835470c.png

"We're a wee bit short at full back again, got Moon and Wilson. So I'll need to hunt another?"

a7710c801625213e320495c5d1f458d3.png

2f40f6714b3a69f676982640f4d9a841.png

"Yes, boss man. We will need someone for cover at full back, strong in the middle though, no?"

99fb0af6b4221ee8e8d12c4a2fdde2ab.png

2df66d04d92d1b1044dbf38b59edd50a.png

eec28ef91b89a78b2980a80a152d4af4.png

bbad251e41e3e0a9afbdf764bdd720fa.png

"Yeah, no additions really needed. All performed very well last year. Then we have had a few dangers in the midfield department haven't we? Still think we need some players to hold in the middle though."

7892d58bf4161d01e539e0f9ffe2cf7c.png

c9d7d774a2280d45cf417dd0af27f499.png

51314ca46ff9bd757977398942b4c188.png

"Yes, yes, boss man. van Heerden is always injured. Need one more for sure. We are quite strong out wide though, you know. Burds, Arendse.."

b792420777f3f17b80637dd44d34ef90.png

f55281d327956bc29835f899f591baff.png

324ecc79f017f7765d1888be7289feea.png

2b5191b21300e4711c2bceb2e6c695d8.png

"True. Versatility and depth. The big number 10 role though, no Lakay now.."

e1b6cdcef152da1d2116b043853e5037.png

d4d6a4a0f87a07c2b9f9482df3f452d2.png

"Yes, boss man. I hope Brian is a good replacement but I think our old scout was wrong about him. Indeed. Maybe 1 more? Strikers though, easy.. Modibo!!"

862bb5191591135f25e4faaf8d99faad.png

7283c515b19a7ed517e1355d797ce9df.png

3bf84e4e523e9f8e09e3b9af54c43744.png

"So, we are after another full back, central midfielder and maybe one number 10? Sounds good. Hit me with a few names tomorrow, get the scouts on it please Monday!"

b58c814f53005afca33d01e83c9962f7.png

Massive win as we travel to a very strong Sundowns squad. Johnson picked up 2 yellows and left us to play the majority of the second half with ten men, however Lakay replacement Kgafene made me eat my words as he grabbed 2 goals. Our youngster Ngcobo made a mistake in the box, in his second ever game, to give Sundowns a chance to push us but we held strong and cleared the ball off the line TWICE in the final few. Absolutely massive three points.

"Boss man, what a win! What a win! Drinks tonight?"

"Of course, Monday!"

Some poorer news that came out of the game though is that we will be missing Arendse for a few.

500de65e08375cae3130b69a86e714ce.png

With financial restrictions I am really going to be playing quite a few youth players this season. Business is done, Siggy returns after being released 2 months ago while we splash our little cash on 'Lindy'.

c482db2bd915d806675aa5c4fb0fe12e.png

ea90aa183b7fb8004c4c0bb8e6a2feb0.png

a66af71a704e43e3945b2325eba39d3e.png