I had asked for some money to play with, with the final 2 days of the transfer window to go as we really needed a little more depth but the board refused to budge. I wasn't happy at all and let the media know of my disappointment. This was very quickly thrown on Twitter and online by the said journalist.

83925ae00c12ebcc7aee0a429d128548.png

I went to bed knowing I had a stupid meeting with the board the following morning, I'd be busy anyway with interest in Sidibe, Amidu and Burds but the board were clearly more focused on me.

ff1bf8c00f934940f2365bd919855838.png

"So, James there is not much to say. We are very angry at your lack of professionalism. We have done everything for this club and you drag us through the gutter? Why?"

"I was angry, I apologise sure. It was a poor judgement, I was just a little disappointed. I apologise and feel I can work with what I currently have."

"You are lucky. Had you not won promotion, or had you not had a decent start you'd be gone. Don't do anything like this again. It was stupid. Anything more and you can be replaced."

"Hello, Mr McKenzie. Santos FC boss?"

"Speaking! What's on? Who's calling?"

"It's Adrian Dayle, I am from Sky Sports. We're wanting to do a feature with you for filler in our Invitational Youth Cup that we are showing this weekend. It has a few clubs coming from Scotland and it would be good to hear about where you went after working with some of them."

"Oh right, well I mean sure. Why not? What's this league about anyway?"

"It's to do with our Get Involved campaign, televising a youth cup will hopefully get more playing football on the streets rather than loitering and doing those bad things we often hear about!"

"Well, drop me an email with details. I am free evenings. So let me know and I can meet for the interview I guess."

Lovely surprise that will surely boost my reputation back in my Motherland of the United Kingdom. I looked into it and the likes of Jamie Carragher, Matt Le Tissier and Steven Gerrard were all set to be involved with the tournament and promotions.

1262745f44d266c366a443ef8bddaca7.png

"Hi, nice to meet you James. I'm also James, and will be doing the questions. It will mainly be about how you're doing at Santos but also a little bit about Scottish Youth football."

"Nice one, fire away."

"Tell us a little bit about the experience you had, and the thought process, of getting into management?"

"I had been working 'professionally' up in Scotland, particularly with Aberdeen but all of the North of Scotland, trying to improve our youth and one day decided, you know what? I am trying my hand at this management thing! You rarely hear of managers without playing experience to get a real shot but think of Jose Mourinho or Louis Van Gaal, neither of them had proper careers. No offence, there, but they have both gone on to make a huge career in management. Anyone can do it with the right head on the right shoulders."

"And ultimately, I decided you know what? I can do it too. I looked around and there's been a couple of Scottish managers out in South Africa and I few my interest towards a couple of clubs and Santos really stood out to me. And I am so thrilled, and honoured, that they gave me a shot and it has paid off for both parties. It really has."

"And how have you found management, you know the contrast between coaching youngsters in Scotland to managing men in South Africa?"

"It's been different here in South Africa for sure but a task I took on and it was made so easy by the players. They said something to me that really hit me, you know, I was scared that anything I said would mean nothing to them because of my background - like they were going to say 'this guy taught kids in Scotland? he knows nothing for us men here!' but instead they cut me mid-sentence and told me what I have done does not matter, it is what I do for them, it is what I do at Santos FC that mattered. And that made life so much easier for me and has changed my outlook on a lot of things.

"Do you ever miss Scotland? Your job there? The kids?"

"I miss Scotland in the sense that there was always a Nandos to go to, and there was the fact I knew everything, the culture of the Scottish people, the dangers - not that there was any, or had met any here and it was all very easy and safe. I had a few friends but got disconnected from a few after a hiccup when I was 17, same goes for my family so my only focus was the kids of Scotland, and I do miss some aspects. You know, making their week much happier. Knowing they came to one of my sessions on a Saturday night rather than some house party and seeing that kid with two left feet learn to really hit a ball. But really, I am so happy with how South Africa has turned out."

"From memory, in Scottish lads to look out for this weekend?"

"If there's lads from my Aberdeen U15 developmental squad then there'll be Wee Connell and Billy to look out for! Two incredibly gifted players!"

"Thanks. "

f53df8b408436c845279417220956950.png

Unbeaten run continues. Like the other 2 draws, should have been a win but one point is better than none. Especially since this season is just about playing. As long as we don't drop all is good.

This draw also came on the same day as the Sky Sports Get Involved Youth Invitational, where I featured! Had the likes of Matt Le Tissier and Jamie Carragher have a quick discussion about me before going straight back into some of action.

"Yeah yeah, it's good that he's getting to see out his dream and things are going well. Impressive really and hopefully things keep going his way you know. Also that lads who he just mentioned should be about to feature in the next group game here just now." #Carra2015

"From what I have seen and heard it's going all very well for him in South Africa, was there for the World Cup and it is a nice place. I don't know how the club football is, but promotion is impressive and it's good his players took him in with no bother"
#Matt2015

Wee Billy managed to grab himself a goal while Connolly really worked hard through the middle. Maybe get them out to South Africa to play for me!

5bd08a42c23a0def5798675073f04184.png

eeb51d273ab917ab2c5e79719aa236a3.png

ffce3eb4f9e97cdd88322af8f4bfecfd.png

Massive 3 points against the club who finished in a strong third last season. Sidibe finally grabbed a goal and hopefully things continue on his end. We started off much weaker as we got bombarded, but picked up a bit of confidence and a huge, lucky equaliser to give us some life and then our pressure to open the second half was too much. Big win though, Monday and I celebrated a lot!

Looking good to stay up so far mate. Well done!

6f59ff213b24011c7d38690c790f3f48.png

We lose in a poor display.

//

Updates and such will be different when time opens. Was just a few games after actually playing tonight, very tired and busy! Got a few nice story ideas and such to come.. Did you know South Africa was like the murder capital of the world pretty much? Average like 20 per day or something. Sure I saw it on a documentary once.

452c9cd1f72067d2a7634a354f058e47.png

Now, I don't know where the story came from linking me to Walsall and I can't be certain it's where my interest lies - however, a foot in the door of English football would be massive but it'd be seen as a risk to any club over there giving me a job because all I know is South African talent. But I have a 1 season 1 promotion ratio right now so.

Kind of weird that the board would go to the media before discussing anything with me though. In the end Walsall were put off interviewing me due to the compensation required and hired Paul Hartley, understandably, instead.

My contract is South Africa does come to end at the end of the season and I am going to have to think long and hard about it. I may want to jump over to Europe shortly and continue pursuing greatness over there.

You are a better man than me. I am jumping ship at the first opportunity!

You are a better man than me. I am jumping ship at the first opportunity!

Life is not too shabby over in South Africa - Not to sure what I would say about Stenhousemuir! I know IRL I'd move to Walsall so I probably would have done had an offer come through but had a decent start after promotion.

9789dff9a8376785142dd7eafb3106a5.png

Fortunate not to have lost, but could have won. Both sides had decent chances but a strong defensive effort meant neither of us could grab a goal - with that being said they had a goal ruled offside which even I could see was on from my dugout! However, the day was spoiled by a minority of Santos FC support who had turned on me after the media's coverage over Walsall and me being linked to the post. Upon arrival at the ground security held a few back but bottles were still thrown towards the players and myself. Inside the ground the noisiest of our good fans were quiet due to the boring nature of the game and this allowed for a bizarre chant about sending me to a Witch Doctor then back to England - I come from Scotland, thank you very much!

Scary, they seem to forget what I managed last season and that I denied being linked with the post. Thankfully there's still a few that class me as their Sir Alex, and still 'Mr Scotland'. A nickname that seems to come from the fact I came here as a no one, but they all knew my nationality!

Hopefully things calm down with those unhappy about the media and Walsall.

80284faaa0ae970bbd4ad5908c943826.png

How's everyone finding it so far? Enjoying Santos, South Africa and Mr Scotlands friendship with Monday?! Anything you'd like to change? layouts or anything

22c6e01f006677608d807e324662bb7c.png

We found ourselves on the wrong end of a right thriller after they got a winner in the 81st minute! Absolute crazy amount of goals. 5 in the space of ten minute in the first half then 3 in the space of 3 minutes in the next! Unlucky I guess. Well, no. Very unhappy to concede 5, keeper Pa Touray is out for a bit now so chance for Pottier to show us his hands.

bec7ae03984896f5fe7907b5e6f71c8a.png

Feel we will be safe, just need to keep playing. Top half would be very nice.

a8fa9e1aea03172f8542e46e7e37bdc0.png

Tough last few games. Need to really try work on something to help out defensively. May drop a midfielder to really work as a guard for the back 4!

Key players have been our wideman Burds and funnily enough a centre back who has some big performances.

7c9b8fcc0cdfe7013a5cb0c879c84133.png

cc93155fc16d8a86d401bbe652abc58a.png

f24b9bb6e068695d3674b6f665da3af6.png

What we are competing with wage wise! Ourselves and fellow new boys Milano United find ourselves paying the least out all the top dogs. Kaizer Chiefs are getting a return as they sit top however, both Milano United and ourselves are 5th and 6th respectively.

"Hey Boss man, your contract over at the seasons end, no?" Monday glanced up, sipping his coffee as we looked over our past weekends victory.

"Yeah, we're talking football just the now though!" I smiled back. He was a bit worried though and continued to ask questions.

"Do you plan on re-signing?"

"I don't know yet, man. Might look at opportunities back over in Europe. Little worried with this whole xenophobia thing kicking off again. Quite a few of us who're finding ourselves in the media a lot are getting a bit of abuse. You know that, we'll see though."

"But you are safe, no? What's wrong with Santos?"

"Nothing, Monday. Why you being weird about? If I move on there'd be a spot for you. Don't worry about that."

"I can't leave South Africa, boss man. Family, visas. If you go, your replacement would get rid of me. I have no experience!"

"You'll be fine, Monday. You've done great stuff with me, it'd be stupid to replace you." I reassured him, it was a weird side of Monday that I hadn't really experienced. But I mean I am a target now. The police are struggling to keep up with what gets dubbed a "Poverty War" and those in the country find themselves in a bit of bother as they get the blame - whether the 5 million illegal immigrants or those who are legal in the country. Thankfully I have a bit of security but I have noticed the problems when travelling around. Scary but comfortable, the majority of the shameful attacks were towards other Africans, some of those from Western nations did find themselves in a spot of bother too though. No idea what I will do come the seasons end!

58598006cc0773245489989cbdc55f98.png

506736974278b6eb3131402d9f6fcce5.png

Mr Scotland is the master of the mind! Big tie coming up as we continue to push for a strong hold in the top half!

Cracking story!! Brilliant first season and what an ending! Should be comfortable to stay up this season I reckon! Good luck!

Cracking story!! Brilliant first season and what an ending! Should be comfortable to stay up this season I reckon! Good luck!

Cheers! Will maybe have the Ajax game up tonight since that's a big one then a lot of updates over the weekend! Get the season finished and see if Imma stay or goooo

I think you've done enough to earn yourself a move mate. Anyone other than Walsall interested?

I think you've done enough to earn yourself a move mate. Anyone other than Walsall interested?

Nothing yet, nope. Walsall was me putting my hat in the ring and they were interested after that. Feel a top half finish here could mean a League 2 side but might stay or find any European club, man does not know!

It was a big day for the fans, for the club and for Cape Town as we played fierce rivals Ajax CT. It was also a day where some of the more violent fans, fueled by xenophobia and the ongoing violence of the 'Poverty War' clashed. It made for a day outside of the football itself really unpleasant. There was quite a few arrests pre-game and we needed additional security as we traveled across the City of Cape Town to face the famous Ajax CT!

14d70bbf4c3ff3f90438b0e22633b4bb.png

And what a stadium it was. Built for the 2010 World Cup and maintained by Ajax. Absolutely magical.

We got ourselves into the dressing room, got prepared, went back out for a warm up before getting told there was a delayed kick off due to some of the protests and problems outside. Messing with the players mind, but I kept them working and talking because it would be the same in the Ajax changing room. Finally, we were given the go ahead for a new kick off time of 2100, instead of 2000 and we were off.

They tended to play a flat 5, worrying about their 3 in central midfield I removed the number 10 and drought in cover behind the midfield.

b4a04be0b2607db056bf55ec2249cc3d.png

I was really keen just to sit. They were a strong side at home to what was an uneasy, volatile in places crowd.

I was confident we could have got something out of the game and early on it was clear I was maybe inviting the pressure a little too much. We held on but couldn't get players forward whenever a break was possible.

One change was made at half time, with us 10/0 on shots. It wasn't to change anything, I just had my deepest midfielder try to look forward a little more while replacing him due to his card. Didn't need to risk anything.

Ajax broke the deadlock eventually with ten to go. A poorly defended corner ended up with a man free in the box.

A few flares went off but players remained focused.

We couldn't come back in it. Tactical gamble failed to pay off here. Too defensive!!

Last edited: