"So, what exactly is this drill supposed to do, Marvin?" I asked, wondering towards Marvin Andrews who headed the defensive duties at the club. I had no idea what it was supposed to do, hadn't really seen it.

e148834dc0d657ef6331dea817761382.png

"It was something **** Advocaat did at Rangers, gaffer. No one liked it but we soon clicked. Our line was all over the place. Hopefully these guys pick up.."

"Ahhh, f*ck.. Doc!" I turned quick, as did everyone else to see Graham Dalton on the floor holding the back of his leg in pain.

"His ****** hamstring.." I said under my breath before jogging over towards him with a few other coaches and concerned players. Dave Galley was one of the last there as he was doing light stuff with a few of the players just returning in the gym.

After being stretchered in and looked at Galley approached me with the awful news.

"Torn hamstring. 3 months." This was his second torn hamstring, he had also suffered a torn calf muscle in the past that saw him miss 3 months of action too. It was awful for the lad. He was getting time with us and working close with the likes of Van Der Vaart to aid his game.

9377a31538b464162c2dfcaf6529efbc.png

Goals.. and a clean sheet?!

Sunderland away was never supposed to be a win. They were second and looking incredibly strong. Jack Rodwell was playing incredibly and Romanian Sergei Bus had 10 already this season while we had hardly scored and defensively we were ****. Sunderland had only lost 1 too.

756b3e555f9731b8950b43f66fa18db8.png

An early goal instantly gave us an advantage as we could just aim to soak up pressure and try break and then on our second proper break Raul De Tomas worked the ball incredibly before seeing Forde breaking away into space and his trickery was too much for Karim Rekik who lashed out and gave away the Penalty. There was no Tony Watt to take it, however, we had another Scotsman ready and waiting and he dispatched beautifully. From there, we continued to hold well. Ex-Real Madrid players Van Der Vaart and Raul managed to link up well before finding Lawrence who only needed an inch of space to score a lovely goal from outside the penalty area.

Can this be a turnaround for the club? Fingers crossed.

Urgh wow, I dunno how but I managed to kick the restart button on my PC. I have 2 weeks save on but got thrown back to just after my Leicester win, meaning I have lost a bit. Story wise I must replay -

6a0b0c6c849f1284bf79d7aef0dfd8cd.png

Sorry, frustrated a little as it was updated and there was story here and there. Will update later or tomorrow with new results. Will take whatever I get and play as similar as to what was once played - picked up some decent points after Sunderland too!

I hopped back on tonight to get back to where I was, just played how I would have done and didn't change anything in a "this could change that 3-1" manner. Will post the results here, then from here I will return to being James McKenzie!

FIRST LOST GAME

Was at home to Cardiff, came out on the bad side of a 3-1 in a close game before losing the save.

09f6969116b3a31b04709e66ed80ffca.png

Raul De Tomas ran rings! Was an awful game though, a few half chances created by Raul was about it. We held well.

SECOND LOST GAME

Up next was the MK Dons game, previously we had been incredibly complacent and left our footballing minds back in Crewe. We were dire.

eae0254e19b08181dcbc4d0cf8bc6a3d.png

Absolutely dire game. We were poor, lost Rossiter (4 days) and relied on a late deflection for a point.

THIRD LOST GAME

This was where we really showed up with a big 3-0 win and great defensive display - no idea where the result had come from either.

4d14c536881c3eaec9d11f5d5c8e7b2e.png

Wasn't to be this time apparently, Joronen had a shocker. Saved a long shot into the path of winger Paterson, and then spilled a cross onto the head of Bus and then completely misjudged a free kick and was left in the middle of a group of players before the ball dropped to Mahoney - open goal. 3-1. However, we managed to look decent late on as we hit the post and worked their keeper. Shame, but good to see Raul De Tomas finally do something.

//

Now caught up, will play the next few games and update and we resume as normal!

Thanks for 20,000 views!

Almost at 50 pages too, so thanks everyone for following and voting for the story in the writing category of the FMBASE Awards. If you haven't voted, there is still time for me to catch Enrico Pucci!

2ae37cbce3d17607955ad903cbd68517.png

"Your agent friend called." Roche said pushing passed Emma from PR and into my office before telling her to leave, he started me down and I assumed it was either to do with being linked to another Championship club like I was, but it was more than likely something to do with the story on Sky Sports News that had leaked, it was nothing big, just they wanted an interview.

"You know we don't want to lose you and the awful fact here is that we won't get anything if you go because you refused a new deal in the summer!" Roche blasted as he took a seat, before standing back up hesitant and red.

"You know why I didn't want to sign a new deal, you refused to continue work on our training grounds here. Yes, thank you for upgrading the senior grounds but there is a lot of work needing done with the youth facilities otherwise I just have to call up half a dozen so I can trust they'll develop!" I yelped back as I pulled my phone out, no one had really been in contact. My agent just confirmed they wanted an interview very briefly while Emma then pleaded desperately for a statement saying I would remain at Crewe. But the truth is, I may easy be staying anyway. Interviews don't guarantee a job.

"We have no money anymore, nothing comes into this club - but I know you can keep us running, James!" Roche continued to shout at me, we had a weird relationship. He didn't like me, I was a cheap option to him and yet he couldn't let me go because I ran this club - this was something I knew wouldn't even be nearly possible at Newcastle. It was a risk if I did end up there, Brazilian overlords, directors of football and unhappy fans. But, I have dealt with race and poverty wars going on around me, mad drunken Irishmen then of course Jim Leishman before Roche flipped and kicked him out the club.

"You're traveling up in about 30 minutes for the interview. Have fun." Roche glanced back up towards me from the floor, sorted his tie out then left my office in exchange for Emma who just heard loud shouts and automatically asked for a statement regarding my departure - but that wasn't the case obviously. I was, however, off to St James Park for an interview for the role of Manager at Newcastle United Football Club.

00b9f50768a8c1abfe50492baac34818.png

5bb18a6868f4697c21def0d7e5344014.png

I took a deep breath.

"****** daunting, isn't it?" I glanced over to Alex, my legal representative. He had been in football for around the same number of years as myself professionally. He picked me up after hearing of my story in South Africa, he wasn't in the game full-time. He walked into a top role at his Fathers legal firm and was on stupid amounts of money so football was just a pass time, he had shares in a couple of small clubs and worked with a few smaller managers.

"You could say that again." we took our first steps towards the big doors before being welcomed by a young, brown-haired lady who took us up an elevator and into some comfortable seats. Water, biscuits, tea - whatever we wanted, she'd get. I was too nervous though, I always say to myself that I can't get nervous but *******, here I was sweating a peach. My heart was pounding, it was a new feeling that I hadn't really experienced since being told I wouldn't make it at Aberdeen and then getting kicked from Peterhead. The Crewe interview was a big one, but I was cooler about that.

"Yes, hello. Welcome. In here, come!" Anibal Rouxinal, the face plastered over anything sports and news recently appeared at a door and was ushering Alex and myself through the door. I shook hands with himself, his managing director and then another 'hands-on' director.

"Before we know who you are, we will talk of us." 'Flavio' the managing director started off. Before continuing about how they made their money off construction, particularly around the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games, I don't think that much of the money was legitimate but from here they began to get involved with South American football and a bit of luck with well-placed money in the oil industry had them make a crazy amount. Newcastle United was next for them.

"I love the Soccer, the football. The England game. Newcastle United is a club that has been oppressed! No? Mr Mike ruins the people. I want to change, I want to make things happen, no? Is that bad?" Anibal Rouxinol rose and went to grab a few folders before sitting in front of myself again.

"No, of course not?" I responded. Unsure if they even wanted a response.

"The press here, they are what ruins this game. I am a good man, forget what they say." He continued, his English was certainly the best of the three. The third was one I hadn't even heard talk yet.

And then the usual questions came through. Blah blah blah. They said they wanted to be playing in Europe next season, which I said was possible. They then also made it aware that if I was hired I had to work with the staff already in place and their say was always final - scary.

Before I knew it we were done and back in the car back towards Crewe. I was even more nervous now, I was desperate for being approach but did I have what it takes? Was I ready? I struggle with the stress and pressure in League 1 nevermind taking over Newcastle United, who are under so much media scrutiny with new management and all sorts.

I don't know.

Back to Crewe, I go. For now.

de84dc55e59757a15bc7e6ad8fb2a478.png

"If we offered you talks to stay right now, what would you say?" I was met with a Mr Roche who had caught up with me as I went to leave the ground. We had just gotten back to the stadium after a huge 4-2 win away at Palace. Raul De Tomas has found his shooting boots and a few wins had us climb up the table.

"Why?" I asked, stopping and glancing back to the panting Roche. He sighed and took a seat to catch his breath.

"Well, a Mr Flavio is here. I was supposed to send someone to get you but had to speak. He has a deal waiting for you." Roche continued to sigh, the words dropped out of his mouth. He was visibly gutted but I think it was more at the fact he would receive absolutely nothing for me and getting in somebody as cheap as me who would do almost everything at the club? Going to be hard.

"I'll see what they are offering." I left Roche back at reception as I went up the stairs in my Crewe tracksuit to discuss what was going on. I had worn a suit on very few occasions footballing wise. There was the FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley and then for the Newcastle interview - and that suit was rushed and bought new on the day. It was a cheap one but none of that matters anyway.

"Mr McKenzie, yeess. Hello!
" Flavio rose to his feet and shook my hand before taking me over to the small meeting room desk. He told me the fine print didn't matter as it was all discussed at the interview, Alex had already seen it and I was to focus on the numbers. And I was almost sick.

-

TWO and a HALF YEARS

FORTY THOUSAND POUNDS
per week

BONUSES, BONUSES, BONUSES

"Oh, expectations wise. We think we can make the top four this year."

41dcd1380d0b729a404998239e1055c1.png

"Alright, lads? Sorry for calling you in on your day off but if you saw the paper or Sky Sports News then I assume you all know that Crewe were officially approached for me yesterday.." I was a little choked up, they all looked pretty glum and the feeling was so dark. We had climbed the table and were having a lot of fun together. We were within touching distance of the play-offs.

"I wouldn't have called you in had I rejected a move.." I almost cried, I am not a nearly emotional guy but Crewe was a huge part of me. These players were important to me too.

"Why, gaffe?" Greg Kavanagh asked, looking right at me. He was a quiet lad but was taken aback by my intentions to leave, I took him to Crewe and was fond of his on-field ability.

"Look, I know it's not easy and I am going to miss this place way too much but this is an opportunity that never comes to people like me. I am sorry, but I have every confidence you can excel under anyone. All of you."

And a few more words were exchanged and I was on my way.

Newcastle bound.

Newcastle United - thats awesome!! If there is anyone who can wake the sleeping giant it is James Mckensie!!

Off to the big leagues mate, South Africa feels like a lifetime ago!

The first day flew by, John Carver was a huge help and walked me through everything necessary. I met the players who were cautiously excited at the prospect of working under me, while the press were immediately piling pressure on me by detailing the directors' history and the apparent lack of a transfer kitty. Either way it was over fast and I was away in a B&B sleeping. I was still working the finer details of sorting out a real place to stay.

Anyway, the following day was the real day I got to look at how I wanted to get things going. It was a day off due to International Duty so I got in all the staff to give me a run down of well, everything playing wise. Starting with the players.

GOALKEEPERS

Mike Pollitt: "We have 2 very good keepers, here actually. Tim Krul. Obviously. Captain and legend to Newcastle and he still had a few years in him. There is then Freddie Woodman, a lot of potential I feel. Could probably do a top job in the Championship and can easily do something for us though, if Timmy gets any injuries."

TIM KRUL, 31, NEWCASTLE LEGEND

fe417e3fb40605b2e4767f3c017b6b03.png

FREDDIE WOODMAN, 22, TIM'S APPRENTICE

d38f96b262fb2bc352b3b6480235e7fc.png

-

DEFENDERS

Ben Dawson: "We're needing a bit of work at the back, the players are decent. It is just injuries and the likes have meant no one can settle. A few are also ageing."

VURNON ANITA, 30, EXPERIENCED AND VERSATILE

79471a495d3319220221daad059527dd.png

ERIC DIER, 25, JUST GENERALLY SOLID

b7f640146c9d1db0691afc8b1d489bcb.png

EFE AMBROSE, 31, STILL GOING STRONG IN HIS 3RD YEAR AT NUFC

88812ccbc4c9a79b57d236f4bd384195.png

RICARDO VAN RHIJN, 28, DUTCH REGULAR FROM AJAX

d692d62d6fa3be42958ae718e9d2428c.png

STEEVE YAGO, 26, STRUGGLED TO SETTLE

925034890494a76d41cb9dace1f65517.png

PAUL DUMMETT, 28, COULD HAVE BEEN A STAR

cff6d584ac09dcde0a3564cd14b7a9f2.png

NICOLAI BOILESEN, 27, INJURIES SAVAGED CAREER

4e9b037d337b6797b3bbeed4ffd0bc8a.png

WINSTON REID, 31, GETTING ON A BIT

c14409a2ad451d4a2ceb016549845753.png

CHIDIEBERE NWAKALI, 22, COULD DO SOMETHING

4cbb1a9ef28f61c45ceba1cb6fb05547.png

-

MIDFIELDERS

John Carver: "Things are alright in the middle of the park, Cabella is a talent. Colback is also a real fighter but we have lost a lot of our technically capable central players in recent years."

JACK COLBACK, 30, VICE-CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

94f5e30a47a55b93aa2a81ea660de75f.png

LUKE GARBUTT, 26, HITTING HIS PEAK

952862a2b6f81b8d5718588955c882ee.png

CANER EKIN, 31, 6TH YEAR AT THE CLUB

95de66a9b2c0c85e9d98c717eb5cd36b.png

RUDY MARECHAL, 20, YOUNG FRENCHIES FIRST TIME IN ENGLAND

6de726331a37dfd1e4837604c4025f3e.png

JULIAN GREEN, 24, AVERAGE BUT GETTING THERE

5c574cecbf4ca0a925dd8739cc87cfc3.png

FILIP DJURICIC, 27, PLAYED ALL OVER

aa0734bde6d21d3a8e593d16d7a11a04.png

ADMIR MEHMEDI, 28, CONSISTENT

635fe50b81da60de7fa383bb332bebcd.png

REMY CABELLA, 29, 6TH YEAR AT NEWCASTLE

00128a18a6a5000510e633c173663fbf.png

PEDRO TIBA, 31, SELL

d69f9d7a36e410868ed3308b18503e82.png

OLIVER NITCHAM, 23, NOT TOO SHABBY

68f5c80f62762d97def0506f0fb11945.png

-

STRIKERS

Peter Beardsley: "Good Argentine."

EZEQUIEL CERCUTTI, 27, ONLY HOPE

3a15b027b1b5e38eb91d95451f84859d.png

OLIVIER GIROUD, 33, REALISTICALLY CAN STILL OFFER

ab2f2ac5db7d7075ece2bd957fc0488b.png

RICHARD HOLLOWAY, 20, YOUTH PROSPECT WHO NEVER EXCELLED

ff5d761ddb99108c4e819d81b67357d3.png

-

YOUTH PROSPECTS

8e2fd798c49736120b427506debf9475.png

About it, a few decent ones who are out on loan too. Not been giving much either so may need to put up with this side until the end of the season. Usually wait until Summer to change backroom staff but it's just deadwood. Much needs to be changed, Marvin Andrews and Carl Fletcher both join me but a few others may have to follow suit.

2fb75a9eaa011fae14efa452bb2c03d1.png

Despite preferring to change staff at the end of the season, I worked fast. Big news was Marvin Andrews came in as a first team coach. Carl Fletcher, also joins us, but as the assistant to Peter Beardsley at our U21s and James Collins replaces the ever-so-helpful John Carver as an assistant. James Collins was my U21s manager at Crewe and stepped up while I had my health concernsm so he becomes my assistant at Newcastle United Football Club.