Road To The World Cup: A 6 Tier Challenge

thats a couple of times you were denied due to compensation. are you allowed to resign and look for a job?

Yeah I know, is starting to get pretty frustrating now! Originally I wasn't planning to ever resign but as this is getting a bit ridiculous, I wont renew my contract (if offered) and will get a Tier 2 job via unemployment.

Nice story mate - keep it up!

Thanks man - Glad you are liking it :)

View attachment 144732

May

View attachment 144731
View attachment 144730
View attachment 144729
View attachment 144727

Another League slip up has allowed DPMM to join the tile race and we will need to win our game to go top on goal difference. There is still a way to go yet but I would like to start opening up a lead at the top in the coming months and secure another League title. After topping our Confederations Cup Group we managed to sneak past Vietnamese side, DT Long An, to line up a Quarter-Final with Omani side, Al-Suwaiq. We have also been pitted against DPMM in the Singaporean Cup, a side which have already caused us a few problems this season.

View attachment 144723
View attachment 144722

Three more job rejections has meant I am now accepting the fact I will likely be with Tampines to the end of the season. I will keep applying to clubs, but as i previously stated wont renew any contract offered by the club at the end of the season if I haven't lined up new employment.

View attachment 144726
View attachment 144725
View attachment 144724
View attachment 144721

Just the one game in June, as the players earn a well deserved rest.

View attachment 144720

View attachment 144705

June

View attachment 144704
View attachment 144703

We managed to make our game in hand count and have now moved level with Niigata Unicorn at the top of the table. With only 9 games to go, it is starting to look like a 2 horse race, but as we found out last season a run of form from a side down in 3rd or 4th can be enough to win the title.

View attachment 144701

A few more jobs have opened up, which I have applied for. I have decided to only apply for top division jobs, but as that isn't really working, no doubt i will be in the 2nd division of a Tier 2 Nation but I will keep on trying this season and see what happens.

A busier month has us playing in the Singaporean Cup Semi-Finals before a huge top of the table match against Niigata Unicorn, which is a must win match. Then it is on to the League Cup, where we will be looking to retain our trophy.

View attachment 144702

Tough luck with the lack of job offers so far - fingers crossed you get a decent one soon! Also, your header images are great. Do you use a template for those?

View attachment 144624

July

View attachment 144622
View attachment 144620
View attachment 144618
View attachment 144616

July turned out to be a decent month across all competitions, as we came out on top in a crucial top of the table clash, as well as moving into the Singaporean Cup Semi-Finals and looking likely to qualify from our League Cup group. We are still in 4 different competitions and the chance of more silverware is looking increasingly likely. The most reputable competitions are the Confederations Cup followed by the League, so will be prioritising those 2, where possible.

Thai side, Chonburi await us in the Cup Semi-Finals.

View attachment 144609

As usual, there have been a couple more job rejections to bring you. I have managed to get to the interview stage on a few occasions now and although agreeing to all the right philosophies, i still can't lock down a job. The main reason is probably my reputation only being 1 star whilst most of these clubs are a minimum of 2 star which might explain the continual stream of rejections!

View attachment 144613
View attachment 144611
View attachment 144612
View attachment 144615

The League Cup will finish up before we switch our attention to the Singaporean Cup game against Chonburi.

View attachment 144614

Tough luck with the lack of job offers so far - fingers crossed you get a decent one soon! Also, your header images are great. Do you use a template for those?

Thanks mate - Yeah the job situation is getting a little frustrating now, but if nothing happens this season I will not renew my contract and try land a Tier 2 job as a free agent.

I have just made the header in Powerpoint and then screenshot it after any changes. Glad you like it though :)

View attachment 144522

August

View attachment 144521
View attachment 144520
View attachment 144519
View attachment 144512

Unfortunately we fell to a disappointing defeat to Young Lions in the League Cup semi-final, just 3 days after being taken all the way to penalties in the quarters. We have dominated Young Lions all season, and a tired performance cost us a shot at another League Cup. The Singaporean Cup semi-final went a lot smoother, as we breezed past Chonburi and are set to face Niigata Unicorn in the Final.

My 3rd coaching qualification is now complete, which will hopefully increase my employability. The board have also offered to renew my contract with Tampines, but I will be moving on at the end of the season regardless of whether another job has been lined up or not.

View attachment 144516
View attachment 144515

The job board is suddenly looking much more promising after another unsuccessful job interview. St Patricks Athletic look to be a very good option as they are only a 1.5 star team and currently sitting in 4th place in the Irish Premier League. This may be my best shot at landing a Tier 2 job, if all goes to plan!

View attachment 144518
View attachment 144517
View attachment 144514

September looks to be a busier month, as we will try move into the Confederations Cup semi-finals. A full house of results in the league may also be enough to secure the title, if other results go our way, although unlikely.

View attachment 144513

View attachment 144434

September

View attachment 144433
View attachment 144432
View attachment 144431
View attachment 144430

September turned out to be a really good month, although Niigata Unicorn have managed to keep pace with us, so is still a fair bit to do in the League before we can claim the title. We have also made it through to the Semi-Finals of the Confederations Cup after bouncing back from a 1st leg defeat and will now play Bahraini side, Al-Hidd, as we look to book our place in the final.

I also finally managed to land a Tier 2 job!!!!

I asked them to give me to the end of the season, as I currently have the opportunity to win 3 more titles at Tampines. I will admit I saved the game just before I asked, just in case they said no, but it all turned out Ok.

View attachment 144429
View attachment 144428
View attachment 144427

We have the semi-final of the Confederations cup, as well as a huge league game against Niigata Unicorn to look forward to. A win in that game will surely secure me a second League title!

View attachment 144426

Always had a soft spot for St. Pat's, they were the first non-English team I managed in this series. Good luck, dude!

finally! though its nice to see you're finishing the season, hopefully with a couple more trophies. good luck in Ireland!

View attachment 144389

October

View attachment 144388
View attachment 144387
View attachment 144386
View attachment 144385

Unfortunately we bow out of the Confederations Cup in the Semi-Finals after a 5-3 aggregate loss. We were 2-0 up in the second leg at half time which would have put us through to the final, but a disappointing second half collapse ended the dream of a treble. We still look set to win the league after a decent draw away to second place Niigata Unicorn and now only really need 3 points from 2 games to secure the title sue to our superior goal difference.

My final 3 games in charge of Tampines gives me the opportunity to end my spell with 2 more trophies. The League is as good as guaranteed I feel, but the Cup final is going to be a tough encounter. Hopefully I can end on a high!

View attachment 144384

Always had a soft spot for St. Pat's, they were the first non-English team I managed in this series. Good luck, dude!

Thanks mate. I know very little about St. Pat's or the Irish League so is going to be an interesting new challenge for me. Although they look to be a pretty decent side in the division, finishing 5th this season. So hopefully I can complete Tier 2 within a few seasons, but we shall see.

finally! though its nice to see you're finishing the season, hopefully with a couple more trophies. good luck in Ireland!

I know it only took 2 additional seasons to land a job! haha. Thanks man, hopefully I can leave with another Tampines double.

View attachment 144352

November

View attachment 144351
View attachment 144349
View attachment 144346

A fitting end to my spell with Tampines, ending the season with a domestic double. We also made it to the semi-finals of both the League Cup and Confederations Cup, proving our ability across all competitions. Hopefully my future career can be as successful.

View attachment 144345
View attachment 144344

After winning the title, I was awarded the Singaporean manager of the Year to add to my personal accolades.

View attachment 144343

Next to come my new job....

View attachment 144342

So after 3 and a bit years, 143 games, 6 trophies, 2 Manager of the Year Awards and 3 coaching licenses it is finally time to move on from Tampines. I will always be grateful to the club for giving me my first managerial role, but I have now outgrown the club and the competitions and am looking forward to a more challenging step up.

View attachment 144341

St Patrick's Athletic

View attachment 144334

So after nearly two years of job hunting, St Patrick's Athletic finally decided to give me the opportunity to manage at a higher level. The Irish Premier League has a higher reputation and also gives me a route into the Europa and Champions League.

View attachment 144339
View attachment 144338

The club just missed out on the Europa League last season, but look to have a solid foundation to build on. Although Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers look to be miles above the rest, I am confident of at least a top 4 finish next season.

View attachment 144336

View attachment 144238

Season Preview

View attachment 144237
View attachment 144236

The bookies have made us 4th favourites to win the League and think we have an outside chance of winning the title. I will be aiming for a top 4 finish this season, which will put us into the Europa League qualifications stage next season. The league appears to be the only important competition to the board, although I will need to win the Irish Leinster Irish Cup at some point to complete Tier 2.

Here is a look at the squad I will be starting the season with this season. I am pretty happy with the way it is looking, although am not sure how we compare to the Shamrock and Dundalk squads. A 4-2-3-1 formation is looking likely to be our main tactic for the season.

View attachment 144234

I made a number of changes to the squad prior to the start of the season, despite not knowing much about the players. Hopefully I have strengthened, rather than weakened!

View attachment 144235

3 Key players

View attachment 144233

Patrik Karlsson-Lagemyr: We managed to arrange a loan deal with our senior affiliate, IFK Goteborg for his services. We have no wages to pay and instantly looks to be one of the best players in our squad. He is useful in a number of positions but will mainly play on the right wing or AMC.

View attachment 144232

Liam Kelly: We managed to pick the young midfielder up on a free transfer and should really sure up our midfield. He has the ability to be a really influential playmaker and am looking forward to working with man throughout the season.

View attachment 144231

Jamie McGrath: An Irish U21 player, who was already at the club when I arrived. He is another youngster and will be used as an advanced playmaker behind the striker.

Hi loving this story started only reading it few days ago. Im delighted you have chosen Ireland as you next job as i live in Wexford Ireland(Everton fan though :D) but my current save is Wexford Youths (my local team) im in the 5th Season in Premier division in Ireland. got promoted from 1st division in my 1st year as champions, mid table 1st season in premier Finished runner up last 2 seasons behind Shamrock rovers. i cannot beat them ha have never even beaten them when playing them in a match. just lost on opening day off season to them again. they have be far the best team winning the premier division every year. enjoy Ireland :) St Pats are a huge team in terms of history in Ireland should be no problem getting them to the top 3/4 again. as you said Rovers & Dundalk will be the challenge

PS: Danny Furlong (who is at Wexford Youths in start of game) has been unbelievable. scored over 30 goals every season & over 40 last season in premier division. not just because he is from Wexford but worth scouting ;) ill screenshot him when i get home from work

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how you get on in tier 2!

I see on the club screen that St Pats have the Black Pearl of Inchicore (Paul McGrath) listed as one of their legends! If you can develop a few more like him you will be doing well!

Hi loving this story started only reading it few days ago. Im delighted you have chosen Ireland as you next job as i live in Wexford Ireland(Everton fan though :D) but my current save is Wexford Youths (my local team) im in the 5th Season in Premier division in Ireland. got promoted from 1st division in my 1st year as champions, mid table 1st season in premier Finished runner up last 2 seasons behind Shamrock rovers. i cannot beat them ha have never even beaten them when playing them in a match. just lost on opening day off season to them again. they have be far the best team winning the premier division every year. enjoy Ireland :) St Pats are a huge team in terms of history in Ireland should be no problem getting them to the top 3/4 again. as you said Rovers & Dundalk will be the challenge

PS: Danny Furlong (who is at Wexford Youths in start of game) has been unbelievable. scored over 30 goals every season & over 40 last season in premier division. not just because he is from Wexford but worth scouting ;) ill screenshot him when i get home from work

Thanks for the comment mate :). I cant say I had to much choice with managing in Ireland to be fair, as they appeared to be the only Tier 2 Nation that would take me! haha. Sounds like you have done a stella job with Wexford Youths, as they only managed to get promoted in 2017 on my save before finishing 8th last season. Yeah, looking back through previous seasons both Rovers and Dundalk seem to be bossing the top 2 positions, although Sligo Rovers managed to sneak the title by a point in 2017, which fills me with a bit of hope!

Thanks for the tip mate. He is still with Wexford on my save, although doesnt look to be scoring anywhere near as many goals (11,21,11,8). He looks a decent player but, have been given no transfer budget so may be a challenge signing him. Will be sure to keep my eye on him though!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on in tier 2!

I see on the club screen that St Pats have the Black Pearl of Inchicore (Paul McGrath) listed as one of their legends! If you can develop a few more like him you will be doing well!

Cheers mate, am expecting it to be a bit tougher than Tier 1 was.

I must admit I had no idea who Paul McGrath was, but have just looked him up! I will be a very happy manager if I can develop a player of that calibre that's for sure! haha

View attachment 144042

March

View attachment 144041
View attachment 144040

We made a really good start to the League campaign, but have quickly witnessed the quality of the Dundalk side. However, the scoreline did appear to be rather harsh on us as it was a close game but they just managed to put away a number of half chances whilst we failed to do so. I am still playing around with formations and my best starting lineup, so am very pleased with our start to the season.

We also got of to perfect starts in the
League Cup and Leinster Senior Cup, two competitions I have very little interest in. The competitions have very low reputations and are not part of my personal/club objectives so will be playing a completely rotated side in these games. Winning would be a bonus but as I said I really don't have much interest and wont risk injuring key players.

View attachment 144039
View attachment 144038
View attachment 144037
View attachment 144036

We have six Premier Division games to look forward to in April, including an away fixture to Shamrock Rovers, hopefully we do a bit better than the Dundalk result.

View attachment 144035