Road To The World Cup: A 6 Tier Challenge

Congrats on finally getting the job! Hopefully it doesn't take so long to move up again this time...

View attachment 143407

April

View attachment 143401
View attachment 143400

Shamrock Rovers spoil what was very nearly a perfect month for us. We have managed to grind out victories against the majority of our opposition in the Irish Premier League, but are yet to crack the Rovers, Dundalk duo. Our league position is still looking really good and a top 4 finish doesn't look like it should be a problem, the question is can we break into the top 2.

Unfortunately we will be without one of our key players, as Karlsson-Lagemyr dislocated his shoulder in the match against Cork. He will be a big loss from the right wing for the next 2-3 months.

View attachment 143399

So we have an incredible 9 matches across competitions to play in May! I will undoubtably be playing a completely rotated side for the League Cup and Leinster Senior Cup to give key players a rest for the main competitions

View attachment 143398

View attachment 142495

MAY

View attachment 142494
View attachment 142493

Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers continue to cause us problems in a very busy month in the Irish Premier League. We have now slipped 9 points behind Rovers and have Bohemians and Cork closing in on us for 3rd place. The League title is slowly slipping out of our grasp as we reach the midway point in the season. We will continue to fight to the end but a 3rd place finish is looking like a realistic target at the moment.

May also sees us get knocked out of both the League Cup and Leinster Senior Cup as our 2nd team failed to cope with Dundalk and Shamrock's superiority. Fortunately we fared better against Bohemians in the Senior Challenge Cup and will be hoping to mount a serious challenge for the trophy this season.

View attachment 142492
View attachment 142488
View attachment 142491
View attachment 142487
View attachment 142490
View attachment 142486

After a very busy May, the players can finally recover with just the 2 games to be played. Both look winnable and will be aiming for a full 6 points this month.

View attachment 142485

View attachment 141426

JUNE

View attachment 141423
View attachment 141424

Ideally we would have liked to pick up the full 6 points in June, but Bohemians managed to hold us to a draw. That has allowed Shamrock Rovers to move 11 points clear, practically taking the title out of reach with just 15 games to go. We will keep battling to the end as ever but a 3rd, possibly 2nd place finish is the best we can hope for this season in the league.

July is a slightly busier month for us in the Premier League. We have a few challenging fixtures but will be expecting at least 10 points from the month.

View attachment 141425

View attachment 140257

July

View attachment 140256
View attachment 140255

Despite a couple of slip up at the start of July, a poor month from Shamrock Rovers has enabled us to close the gap to just 8 points. Perhaps we still have an outside chance at the title, but Dundalk continue to look strong and are now just a point behind Rovers.

August is set to be a big month in the title race, including games against both Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers. We also have the Senior Challenge 3rd round tie against Limerick, which is looking like our best shot at any silverware this season.

View attachment 140254

View attachment 140037
August

View attachment 140035
View attachment 140034

We were in fine form in the League throughout August, picking up a much overdue win over leaders Dundalk in the process, but were denied the perfect month after another loss to Shamrock Rovers. We have now closed the gap to just 5 points on Dundalk at the top of the table, but with just 6 games remaining in the season, will there be time to mount a serious title challenge?

Despite fielding a full strength side, we failed to perform in our Senior Challenge 3rd Round, losing out 3-2 to Limerick. I was hoping to tick this trophy off the list this year but will now have to try again next season.

View attachment 140033
View attachment 140032

4 wins out of 5 was enough to win my first ever Manager of the Month Award, although it isn't much of an accolade its always nice to receive.

View attachment 140031

A surprise job offer appeared in my inbox this month, as Honduras offered me a management role! In reality I would jump at the opportunity to be earning £3k per week more than my current job, but I have a set path and intend to follow it.

View attachment 140030

September offers 3 very winnable matches, as we look to put the pressure on Dundalk and Rovers.

View attachment 140029

View attachment 139423

September

View attachment 139422
View attachment 139419

A perfect month accompanied by a couple of Dundalk slip-ups means that we are within 2 points of the title, heading into the final 3 matches. I honestly never thought we were going to be within touching distance come the end of the season, but it appears the pressure has started to get to Rovers and Dundalk. All we can do is win our remaining games and hope the others falter, but with 3 games left and a much lower goal difference, we must still be considered outsiders.

Another Manager of the Month Title capped off the perfect month for myself and the team and regardless of the outcome this year, we have a solid foundation for next season.

View attachment 139421

Cork could potentially cause us problems after having a strong season, but we are on good form and cant see a reason why we shouldn't add another 9 points to our final tally.

View attachment 139420

View attachment 139364

View attachment 139362
View attachment 139361

We are Champions!

Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk continued to spiral, allowing us to sneak the title in the final 8 minutes of the season! A late Derry City equaliser against Dundalk saw us jump to the top of the pile and clinch the title.

Winning the League after being top for only 8 minutes in an entire season must be some kind of record surely!?!

View attachment 139363
View attachment 139360

I was also awarded the personal accolade of Manager of the Year to add to the celebrations and my growing reputation in world football.

View attachment 139358

Unsurprisingly the board decided to offer me a new, improved contract. I still have work to do in Ireland before I can move as I go in search of the Senior Challenge Cup next season.

View attachment 139357

Great last couple of months there! Nothing like some late excitement to seal the league title as well, congrats!

like london buses. wait days for an update, then 2 come at once!

awesome work, hopefully you'll be able to move on after only 2 years in Ireland.

Great last couple of months there! Nothing like some late excitement to seal the league title as well, congrats!

Thanks mate - I can just imagine the scenes in the St Pat's end, when Derry City scored that late equaliser against Dundalk! haha.

like london buses. wait days for an update, then 2 come at once!

awesome work, hopefully you'll be able to move on after only 2 years in Ireland.

Well I couldn't leave you (or myself) with the suspense of the final 3 games when it had become so tight at the top! haha

Cheers man - Yeah in theory the cup should be an easier tournament to win, just need to home I can avoid Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers in the draws, as am still really struggling to get results off of them.

View attachment 137939

Season Preview 2020

View attachment 137938
View attachment 137937

Following on from our dramatic title win last season, bookies have tipped us ahead of Shamrock Rovers in retaining the title. If we can get a few more results against both Dundalk and Rovers then back to back titles is a certain possibility. However, going against the boards objectives I am targeting the Irish Senior Challenge Cup to be my main objective, which would enable me to move up to Tier 3.

Finances are looking pretty ropey at the club at the moment, so have cut a number of fringe players off the books, whilst bringing in a few more quality player in the process.

View attachment 137936

Serge-Junior Martinsson Ngouali - The former Gabon international will add heaps of experience to our midfield. We managed to bring him in on loan from our senior affiliate, IFK Goteborg and am sure he will be a big asset for the club over the course of the season.

View attachment 137935

Douglas Bergqvist - Another player brought in from IFK Goteborg, whom possess exceptional physical and mental attributes for this level of football. I will be looking for him to be our rock at the back as we look to sure up our defence for the upcoming season.

View attachment 137934

Last edited:
View attachment 137816

March

View attachment 137815
View attachment 137814

Our title defence really didn't get off to the best of starts, picking up just 7 points from our first 5 games. That means we have already dropped over a third of the points lost throughout the whole of last season!

I have to take some of the responsibility, as I failed to arrange any pre season friendlies, thinking my assistant was set to do it... evidently not. Therefore the entire squad were severely lacking match sharpness come the start of the season. The last couple of results appear to show signs of our form last season and can hopefully now push on in the League.

View attachment 137813
View attachment 137812

We managed to edge out the Irish Senior Challenge Cup winners, Sligo Rovers in penalties to win the first piece of silverware of the year. It doesn't really mean much, but adds to my trophy cabinet

View attachment 137811
View attachment 137810

We bow out of the Leinster Senior Cup at the quarter final stage as our second string team failed to really put up a fight against Bohemians.

Hopefully we can record a better set of results throughout April as we look to make up ground on the top of the table.

View attachment 137809

is it a rule that you have to play dundalk and shamrock back2back?

good luck with the season mate.

is it a rule that you have to play dundalk and shamrock back2back?

good luck with the season mate.

It's starting to look that way! haha.

Thanks mate - Hopefully we have more success in the head to head fixtures this season!

View attachment 137626

April

View attachment 137625
View attachment 137624

Despite using the same tactics and core players as last season, we are really starting to struggle in the League. We managed to get a point of Shamrock Rovers, but were completely dismantled by Dundalk. It could be a long old season for us, as we will look to fight our way into a top 4 position. I am just hoping we can turn our form around by the time the Senior Challenge Cup starts.

We kick off the Senior Challenge Cup at the end of the month and have a relatively easy tie, so should be progressing no problems at all (*touch wood*). Will also be looking to break into the league's top 5 come the start of May.

View attachment 137623

View attachment 137123

May

View attachment 137122
View attachment 137121

Finally, we managed to get back to last seasons form with an unbeaten month of football in the League. The table now makes a completely different reading to the end of April, as we are within just 2 points of Shamrock Rovers in second place. Dundalk loo to be running away with the title, but we all know what happened last season...

We also managed a relatively routine win over Bangor Celtic to book our place in the Senior Challenge Cup 3rd Round.

View attachment 137120
View attachment 137119

Our second string team were denied a place in the 3rd round of the League Cup, as we failed to beat Drogheda United on penalties. Although it was a weaker team, it was a game we really should be winning.

View attachment 137118
View attachment 137117
I got to celebrate the month of my 200th game in charge, with the manager of the month award. I have managed to achieve a lot over the course of 200 games in the lower regions of World Football and am looking forward to the tougher challenges ahead.

Despite all the positives this month, our main Striker, Sam Bryne has been ruled out for the majority of the season. He has been a key man for us since my move to St Pat's and will be looking for someone else to step up and take this opportunity.

View attachment 137116

Following the end of the season in many European Nations, I was offered 3 jobs higher profiled jobs. Unfortunately I still have the Senior Challenge cup to win before I can accept a Tier 3 job, but by the looks of it I shouldn't struggle to land a job!

View attachment 137115
View attachment 137114
View attachment 137113

We now start a mini break, with just the one game in June before a much busier July. We will be looking to continue our good form and close in on Rover's in second place. We will also play back to back games against Rover's and Dundalk yet again!

View attachment 137112