Rome: Total War

madman558

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, Will Rome Total War play on my laptop?

Specs:

2.1 Ghz processer
Windows 7 premium 64 - bit
3Gb ram (2.74 useable)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series
320Gb HDD
direct x 10

(sony viao ee2)

Hope this helps ya :)

Rome: Total War requires the following minimum computer specifications:
  • English version of Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
  • Pentium III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher
  • 256MB RAM
  • 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
  • 300MB of uncompressed free hard disk space
  • 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
  • 100% Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
  • DirectX 9.0b 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers:
    • ATI Radeon 7200
    • ATI Radeon 8500
    • ATI Radeon 9000
    • ATI Radeon 9500
    • ATI Radeon 9600
    • ATI Radeon 9700
    • ATI Radeon 9800
    • All Nvidia GeForce 2 and higher
Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility

it should do, it is quite an old game, your specs are well over minimum.it doesnt have much graphic proccesing, it may take a while to load between turns, but it will play ok.

yeah. Got Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium on my laptop with 1.9 ghz processor etc, and works fine with no probs. Just to get smoothest performance, I turn down the unneccessary details on graphics

Hope this helps ya :)

Rome: Total War requires the following minimum computer specifications:
  • English version of Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
  • Pentium III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher
  • 256MB RAM
  • 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
  • 300MB of uncompressed free hard disk space
  • 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
  • 100% Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
  • DirectX 9.0b 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers:
    • ATI Radeon 7200
    • ATI Radeon 8500
    • ATI Radeon 9000
    • ATI Radeon 9500
    • ATI Radeon 9600
    • ATI Radeon 9700
    • ATI Radeon 9800
    • All Nvidia GeForce 2 and higher
Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility

Thanks, i tried that "can you run it" site thingy.. and it doesnt know because its an old game and it doesnt know (because of the OS) which is annoying because i dont know if i can run Gears Of War either (HUGE fan of GoW.. not so much GoW2) lol thanks for the info though

it should do, it is quite an old game, your specs are well over minimum.it doesnt have much graphic proccesing, it may take a while to load between turns, but it will play ok.

ill try in a bit.. watching man city vs leic (i sooo want man city to win... seen as im a coventry fan <))

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

yeah. Got Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium on my laptop with 1.9 ghz processor etc, and works fine with no probs. Just to get smoothest performance, I turn down the unneccessary details on graphics

i looked on that thing i just posted.. and also windows compatability centre, and it said that on 64 bit it doesnt (i soo hope its wrong) ive also got age of empires 3... but thats another story for another day ;)

O that thing I never use-it is garbage yeah. But I really think it should work to be honest. If you're not sure about other games, there's a "can you run it" type programme at Yougamers-can give you the link if you want. I find it much more accurate

Just to tried to use it myself and its down for some reason. sorry. If it says it doesn't work on 64-bit, I'd look around a bit more to double check. Hope it does work for ya though-it is a great game

Last edited:
yougamers? never heard of it lol, i know can you run it isnt that accruate but it gives me an indication like in this situation, i can run it... im just iffy on the OS issue lol

if you could give me the link it will be a BIG help :D

http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10195/

There you go. It's the usual pick the game from the drop down tab. For some reason its not working for me though. Would be a lot better if there was a demo version to try out though. Good luck

Yeah it's still not working for me either. Soz bout that.

is all good - i got it to work in the end :D (after man many hours figuring out why i was missing a MSS32.DLL file :()...

How do you unlock factions? I ccant remember seen as it was 5 years ago since i last played the game lol

is all good - i got it to work in the end :D (after man many hours figuring out why i was missing a MSS32.DLL file :()...

How do you unlock factions? I ccant remember seen as it was 5 years ago since i last played the game lol

Conquer them in game, or take the more obvious way around it and edit the descr_campaign_main file (IIRC).

Conquer them in game, or take the more obvious way around it and edit the descr_campaign_main file (IIRC).

so to play as britannia... i would have to crush them? (doing it liegit?)

to be fair... i know they are stupid questions, but last time i played this game i was 13-14 so yeah lol

Best of an extremely awesome series of games. Can't wait for Shogun II and am eargerly anticipating when/ if they announce Rome 2. Would rather they make mistakes (like they did on empire) and then fix them (like they did on Napolean) so Rome 2 would be played on a polished version of the Shogun II engine

Best of an extremely awesome series of games. Can't wait for Shogun II and am eargerly anticipating when/ if they announce Rome 2. Would rather they make mistakes (like they did on empire) and then fix them (like they did on Napolean) so Rome 2 would be played on a polished version of the Shogun II engine

lol, i think ill stick with the rome total war - untill i feel ready to take on medival or rome 2 (when its released) i have never played shogun whats that all about?