Ronaldinho: Legendary Player and Legendary... manager?

bdearaujo

Reaction score
Ronaldinho: Legendary Player and Legendary... Manager?

I will have to restart this story due to me not being satisfied with my work. Instead of creating a new thread, I'm going to delete every post that I put and will start from the beginning were Ronaldinho announced his retirement. My post will be game by game with important events (player transfer, manager movement, competition wins, etc.) will be posted in a newspaper style post. Maybe if an important game is played, I might do a play by play post.

View attachment 187647

Ronaldinho Retires; Wants to Manage

View attachment 187646

The Legend of Ronaldinho is over. At least in his playing career. Just over 2 months after he joined the Brazilian side Fluminense on a 1 and a half year contract, Ronadinho agree to a mutual agreement with the club. After the fans heavily criticized with his performance after appearing in 9 matches and scoring no goals and assists, he decided it was time.

"I felt that it was time to hag up the boots" said the two time Player of the Year "I thought that I could keep playing. My mind whats to continue but my body says no. I thank Fluminense for giving me this opportunity to play and I wish them all the success in the future."

"But I don't want to leave the football world. I want a new challenge. I want to want manage."

This move shocked the world since Ronaldinho does not have a coaching license. Many clubs will want his service for his great experience but his lack of license will be an issue.

Ronaldinho was born in Porto Alegre, where he joined Gremio in 1998. There he won Copa Sul and Campeonato Gaucho with the club and appeared in 52 games and scored 21 goals before joining French side Paris Saint-Germain in 2001 for 5 million euros. With PSG, he spent 2 years with the club appeared in 55 league games and scoring 17 goals while helping them to a UEFA Intertoto Cup in 2001.

He joined Barcelona in 2003 for 30 million euros and where he exploded the football world. In the 5 seasons he was with the club, he appeared in 145 league games and scored 45 goals. He helped the club to win 2 La Liga title, 2 Supercopa de Espana, and a UEFA Champions League while winning back to back award for FIFA Player of the Year award in 2004 and 2005. He was best known for the standing ovation by the Real Madrid fans for his performance and the bicycle kick against Villarreal.

View attachment 187639

After 5 season with the Spanish club, he joined AC Milan, where he appeard in 76 games and scored 19 times and help them win their 18th Scudetto in 2011 and their first since 2004. After 3 seasons, he joined Flamengo in 2011 in a 4 year contract and helped them win Campeonato Carioca. But just over 1 year into the contract, he sued the club for lack of payment of for four months and cancelled his contract. He made a surprised move to Atletico Mineiro just four days later in a 6 month contract. He help the club to a 2nd place finish in Campeonato Brasilero and qualify them to their 1st Copa Libertadores since 2000 while winning the Bola de Ouro . After resigning with Atletico in a one year contract, he help them win Campeonato Mineiro and their 1st ever Copa Libertadores title. After winning the Recopa Sudamericana in 2014, he had a mutual agreement with Atletico Mineiro to leave the club.

He joined Mexican side Queretaro in 2014 for one year before leaving the club to join Fluminense.

View attachment 187638

In the International scene, he appeared for Brazil in 97 games while scoring 37 goals. He won Copa America in 1999, FIFA World Cup in 2002, FIFA Confederation Cup in 2005 and the Superclasico de las Americas in 2011.

Now that he retired, he linked with the managerial position with a couple of clubs in Brazil, England and USA.

Last edited:

Ronaldinho Manager Career

Player Houours

ClubSeasons PlayedTitles
Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense3: 1998 - 20002: Copa Sul-Minas (1999)
Campeonato Gaúcho (1999)
Paris Saint-Germain Football Club2: 2001/02 - 2002/031: UEFA Intertoto Cup (2001)
Futbol Club Barcelona5: 2003/04 - 2007/085: La Liga (2004/05, 2005/06)
Supercopa de España (2005, 2006)
UEFA Champions League (2005/06)
Associazione Calcio Milan3: 2008/09 - 2010/111: Serie A (2010/11)
Clube de Regatas do Flamengo2: 2011 - 20121: Campeonato Carioca (2011)
Clube Atlético Mineiro3: 2012 - 20143: Campeonato Mineiro (2013)
Copa Libertadores de América (2013)
Recopa Sudamericana (2014)
Querétaro Fútbol Club1: 2014/15none
Fluminense Football Club1: 2015none

Titles Won as a Manager

Olympics: Brazil- 2016

Campeonato Brasileiro: Flamengo- 2016

YearDivisionClubLeagueCupState ChampionshipContinental
2015Campeonato Brasileiro Serie AFlamengo10th, 13-13-12, 52 ptsCopa do Brasil:
Quarterfinals
Runner-upnone
2016Campeonato Brasileiro Serie AFlamengo1st, 21-11-6, 74 pointsPrimeira Liga:
Group Stage

Copa do Brasil:
Fourth Round
Semifinalsnone
20162016 OlympicsBrazil U23noneWinnernonenone

Last edited:

View attachment 182958

Ronaldinho and Flamengo: The Sequel

View attachment 182957

Ronaldinho is the new manager of Flamengo, the same club that made him quit the team after unpaid wages. But it looks like that the negative tension is now over. In this surprise move, Ronaldinho will manage the club until December of 2018.

"It's great to be back" said Ronaldinho "It's great to be back with a president that believe in me. I know that some people may be saying "Why?", knowing about my past experience with the club, but I want to make sure that what happen happened. I want a fresh new start with the club and I believe Flamengo is the perfect start to my new career. Flamengo is a club with many traditions and I want to be part of this."

With him was the president of Flamengo, Eduardo Bandeira de Mello, who was very happy with his choice.

"I very happy that he wants to manage the club. We are a club that wants to win and we have an expectation to achieve and Ronaldinho is the type of person that success is the only option. As a former player, he will know what is expected of him and the club but I am confident on his ability to succeed."

View attachment 182956

Clube de Regatas do Flamengo or Flamengo for short, is a Brazilian sports club based in Rio de Janeiro. The club was established in 1895, although it did not play its first official game until 1912. Flamengo is one of the most successful clubs in Brazilian football, it has won six Campeonato Brasileiro Série A titles and three Copa do Brasil titles. They are only one of the five clubs to have never been relegated to the second division, along with Santos, São Paulo, Internacional and Cruzeiro.

Flamengo's home stadium is nominally the Estádio José Bastos Padilha (commonly known as Estádio da Gávea), which was inaugurated on September 4, 1938 and has a capacity of 8,000 fans. Flamengo rarely plays at Estádio da Gávea which is now used almost exclusively as the first team's training ground. Most games, however, are played in Maracanã Stadium, "considered" by the supporters as the real Flamengo's home ground.

Flamengo has won 6 Campeonato Brasileiro with the last one in 2009, 3 Copa do Brasil with the last in 2013, a record of 33 Campeonato Carioca with the last in 2014, and 1 Copa Libertadores in 1981.

They are rivals with Vasco da Gama called Clássico dos Milhões, which is one of the biggest rivalry in Brazil. They also have a rivalry with Fluminense called Fla-Flu and an interstate rivalry with Atlético Mineiro.

Before Ronaldinho joined Flamengo, their 2015 campaign is becoming a huge disappointment where Flamengo see themselves in the relegation zone in 18th place, 4 points behind Sao Paulo.

View attachment 182929

In Copa do Brasil, Flamengo lost the 1st leg to their interstate rivals Atlético Mineiro 3-0. They still have the return leg at home but they will need to win by 4 goals to advance.

View attachment 182928

In Campeonato Carioca, Flamengo lost to their rivals Fluminense 3-2 in the finals.

View attachment 182927

They have still 11 games remaining with 10 left in Campeonato Brasileiro.

View attachment 182926

The Players for Flamengo:

View attachment 182923
View attachment 182922

We asked Ronaldinho how he felt and simple said "I'm ready to go"

Last edited:

View attachment 182644
View attachment 182646
View attachment 182643
View attachment 182642

And Ronaldinho's first match as manager was a positive one as Flamengo got the win. It was a big win as they beat their rivals in a Fla-Flu match. With this win, they are 2 points from safety.

Marlon was ejected from the game after getting his 2nd yellow when had a bad tackle on Marcio Araujo. Paulo Guerrero scored the only goal of the match with a mighty header within the six yard box.

Flamengo will host Atletico Mineiro in the 2nd leg of Copa do Brasil Quarterfinals match.​

View attachment 182625
View attachment 182624
View attachment 182623
View attachment 182622

Unfortunately the first leg hurt us. Before Ronoaldinho joined the club, Flamengo had lost the 1st leg 3-0. Even outplayed them in every way but our interstate rivals managed to hold on the lead to advance to the Semifinals.

Emerson Sheik scored the first goal with an incisive finish from 11 metres. He then scored his 2nd after taking advantage of Thiago Ribeiro's error to score an accurate finish.

With the win, Flamengo won Copa do Brasil's prize money for finishing in the Quarterfinals.

View attachment 182621

Flamengo will head to Porto Alegre, where Ronoaldinho was born, and will face Gremio, the team that he started with.

View attachment 182432
View attachment 182430
View attachment 182429
View attachment 182428

It's really hard to describe what happen her but we had 19 opportunities and all of them failed. But we need to work on out finishing because the Gremio's keeper only had 4 saves in the entire match. We need to focus in getting a great result in the final 8 games if we want to stay in the first division. Right now, we are in 18th place with 33 points, just 2 points behind Sao Paulo.

Flamengo will host Cruzeiro in the next Campeonato Brasileiro match.​

View attachment 182419
View attachment 182416
View attachment 182415
View attachment 182414

What a great result! With this win and Sao Paulo loss to Santos, Flamengo finally leaves the relegation zone and is 1 point ahead of Sao Paulo. We played great as we took advantage of our shots and counter attacking tactics.

Everton scored the first goal of the game with a finish tucked away with consummate ease. Alisson tied it for Cruzeiro with a deftly executed finish. Emerson Sheik gave Flamengo the win with a good header from the six yard box.

Flamengo will host Chapecoense for the next Campeonato Brasileiro match.​

View attachment 181723
View attachment 181721
View attachment 181722
View attachment 181720

What a great game! Since Ronaldinho joined the club, Flamengo has now been unbeaten in 5 games in all competition and are now in 15th place just 3 points ahead of Sao Paulo for relegation. Our shooting was with 10 of 15 shots on target and just limited Chapecoense with 2 on target.

Paolo Guerrero scored the first goal after taking advantage of Danilo mis clearance to score a well timed shot from close range. Emerson Sheik made it 2-0 when scored a good finish from close range after seizing from Apodi's error. Everton made it 3-0 with a close range effort.

Flamengo will head to their rival territory where they will face Vasco da Gama in a Clássico dos Milhões derby.​

View attachment 181719

Flamengo's October Review

View attachment 181718

October was a successful month for Flamengo where they went 5 games unbeaten since Ronaldinho was appointed as manager. They went 4 wins and 1 draw including a big win over their rival Fluminense. They managed to beat their Interstate rivals Atletico Mineiro but were not able to go to the Semifinals due to the heavy 3-0 loss in the 1st leg, before Ronaldinho joined the club.

View attachment 181717

Campeonato Brasileiro

In October, Flamengo managed to leave the relegation zone after beating Cruzeiro 2-1 and Sao Paulo losing 2-3 to Santos, now they see themselves in 15th places, just 3 points ahead from drop.

View attachment 181716

Copa do Brasil

Flamengo was eliminated by their rivals Atletico Mineiro 3-2 on aggregate. They lost the first game 3-0 before coming up short in a 2-0 win. In the finals, the surprising Avai in their first ever Copa do Brasil finals will face against the 2014 Copa do Brasil and defending champions Atletico Mineiro.

View attachment 181715

November/December

The final two months of the season will feature the final 6 games including two rivalry games against Vasco and Atletico Mineiro. Also Flamengo will only play two home games.

View attachment 181714

View attachment 181713
View attachment 181712
View attachment 181711
View attachment 181710

Even though we were the better team, I was still happy with the result. Morales scored for us and help Ronaldinho sixth unbeaten game since joining. With the draw, we are still leveled with Joinville with 40 points.

Diego Morales scored for Flamengo by a penalty after Joao Carlos gave it away. Former Flamengo player, Andrezinho scored for Vasco in the 56th minute after a tidy finish from 13 metres.

Flamengo will head to Sao Paulo as they will face the relegated threaten Sao Paulo.​

View attachment 181469
View attachment 181468
View attachment 181467
View attachment 181466

This was a surprising result! Even though Sao Paulo is in a terrible form this season, they were still a difficult team to play against. But we managed to get past 4 goals. With this win, we are now in 13th place and further and further from the relegation zone.

Paolo Guerrero scored the first goal after a well timed finish from close range. Guerrero got his 2nd after a deftly executed finish from close range. Everton made it 3-0 when he scored a powerful effort. Marcelo scored a good header from the six yard box after Denis miss the clearing header to made it 4-0. Leonardo Paoli scored the for Sao Paulo when he scored with an accurate shot.

Flamengo will head home as they will host Goias.​

View attachment 181448
View attachment 181447
View attachment 181446
View attachment 181445

What an easy game that we played. Goias coming before this game was in 4th place but Flamengo reputation was to much for them. Ygor sending off made the game easier for us.

Kayke scored the first goal after a close range header. Ygor got the straight red after a bad tackle on Diego Morales. Emerson Sheik made it 2-0 when he scored a good finish from close range. Diego Morales made it 3-0 after a placed shot from close range.

Flamengo will head to Sao Paulo as they will face Santos.​

View attachment 181433
View attachment 181432
View attachment 181431
View attachment 181430

Well, Ronaldinho finally lost his first game as a manager. It was a type of game that I wish it was a draw but with Santos win, they are now in first place with 2 games remaining.

Geuvanio scored the only goal of the game after taking advantage of Para's error to score a good finish from close range.

Flamengo will head to Porto Alegre to face Internacional.​

View attachment 181404
View attachment 181403
View attachment 181402
View attachment 181401

It was an intense game but I happy with the result. With our last away game of the season, we played great and with the win, we jumped straight to 10th place.

Paolo Guerrero scored the only goal of the game after a placed shot.

Flamengo will play their last game of the season at home as they will host their interstate rivals Atletico Mineiro.​

View attachment 181398

Atletico Mineiro Retains Copa do Brasil Title

View attachment 181397
View attachment 181396
View attachment 181395

Atletico Mineiro has successfully defend their Copa do Brasil title after defending the surprising Avai 4-0 on aggregate. With this win, they now qualify to next year's Copa Libertadores competition, South America's Champions League.

Atletico Mineiro's Copa do Brasil campaign started when they face Parana were they defeated them 4-1. Then they met Flamengo, where won the first leg 3-0, costing Oswaldo de Oliveira job. Ronaldinho was hired after the game and won the 2nd leg 2-0 but Atletico 1st leg win was enough to send them to the Semifinals. In the Semis, they met Gremio where they won 2-0. In the finals, they met Avai and won 4-0.

View attachment 181394

Ronaldinho, after he heard that his former club won the compeititon, said "Congratulation Galo for their 2nd title. It was an honour to play you guys in the Quarterfinals. Enjoy it because we will be ready to get that title back."

Both Gremio and Cruzeiro have won the most Copa do Brasil title with 4.​

View attachment 181388
View attachment 181387
View attachment 181386
View attachment 181385

We ended the season with great success as we won against our interstate rivals. With this win, we finished in 10th place.

Luan gave Atletico Mineiro the lead after a well timed finish from close range. Jorge tied the game with a good finish from close range. Paolo scored the game winning goal just 3 minute later after an accurate finish.

Flamengo will head to the offseason with hope to win the title next season.​

View attachment 179382

Hexacampeão

View attachment 179383

Corinthians has won the 2015 Campeonato Brasileiro and is now a 6 time winner. In a final matchday frenzy, Corinthians finish with the same number of points as their rival Santos but were ahead through the league 1st tiebreaker which was games won.

View attachment 179379

Corinthians need the win against Internacional as a lost would give Santos the title. They managed to beat Internacional 1-0 thanks to the goal by Jadson. Santos managed to beat Figueirense 2-1.

Corinthians will join Atletico Mineiro, Santos, Gremio, and Goias in next season's Copa Libertadores.

With their 6 title, Corinthians tied with their other rival Sao Paulo but are still behind Santos and Palmeiras, also both rivals, with 8 titles.

Thiago Ribeiro from Atletico Mineiro is the league top goalscorer with 15 goals. Ribeiro's teammate Victor finished with the most clean sheet with 16.

There was a huge surprise as 6 time Sao Paulo were relegated to Serie B for the first time in Club history. They will be joined by Chapecoense, Ponte Preta, and Avai.

View attachment 179372

Flamengo's November and December Review

View attachment 179370

The final 2 months of the season was greeted with great success for the club as they managed to avoid relegation. In the month of November and December, they went 4-1-1 with big wins over Sao Paulo and rivals Atletico Mineiro.

View attachment 179365

Campeonato Brasileiro

Flamengo rocketed up in the standing to finish a 10th place where the club will most likely to be happy with after being flirting with relegation for most of the season.

View attachment 179364

Offseason

Flamengo will now head to the offseason with hopes in improving the squad and hoping for a Continental competition.​