Ronaldinho: Legendary Player and Legendary... manager?

Ronaldinho - Campeonato Brasileiro

Clube de Regatas do Flamengo vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 165768
View attachment 165767
View attachment 165766

This was the most intense match that I have ever managed. Atletico Mineiro wanted to score the our keeper Cesar and Maicon were on top of their game. With this win, we are now with 67 points, tied with Fluminense and lucky Santos dropped points today as they tied with Botafogo.

Talisca scored the only goal of the game after a freak goal.

We lost Marcio Araujo to an injury after a hip injury and will be out for 3 months, ending his season.

View attachment 165765

The standing after this game:

View attachment 165764

Flamengo will head to Sao Paulo to face Palmeiras in a Campeonato Brasileiro match.​

Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras vs Clube de Regatas do Flamengo

View attachment 165753
View attachment 165756
View attachment 165754
View attachment 165751

We finally achieved our goal by qualifying to Copa Libertadores next year. Now we will want to focus on winning the title. It was a big win against Palmeiras as we are alone in 1st place, 2 points ahead of Santos. We can potentially win the title if we win and Santos lose next match.

Rene Junior scored the first goal of the game after a close range effort. Wallace made it 2-0 after a deflected shot.

The standing after this game:

View attachment 165747

Flamengo can potentially win the league when they host their Clássico dos Milhões rivals Vasco da Gama in a Campeonato Brasileiro match.​

Great stuff mate, let's hope you can wrap up the league against Vasco!

Clube de Regatas do Flamengo vs Club de Regatas Vasco da Gama

View attachment 165724
View attachment 165723
View attachment 165722

Very dull match but it was a disappointment as both Santos and Fluminense tied their games and we did not take advantage. The final matchday of the season will be a huge one as all three clubs have a chance to win.

No goals were scored today.

The standing after this match:

View attachment 165721

Flamengo will go to Recife to face Santa Cruz in a Campeonato Brasileiro and will be a live commentary.​

Ooooh well done so far, hopefully you get the win that you need! If you draw you best hope Santos had some dodgy lasagne... :p

Today is the day, the final matchday of Campeonato Brasileiro. It's the showdown between Santa Cruz Futebol Clube and Clube de Regatas do Flamengo.

View attachment 165710

This match will also feature update on the Criciuma vs Santos and Fluminense vs Joinville. Flamengo, Santos, and Fluminense all have a chance to win the title.

View attachment 165708

Flamengo only needs a win to win the title. Santos needs to win with a Flamengo loss to clinch the title. Fluminense, who has the lowest chance, needs both Santos and Flamengo to lose by a large amount and they have to win by a large amount.

The match today will be played at Estádio José do Rego Maciel or known as Estádio do Arruda, home of Santa Cruz. The match will feature mostly of Santa Cruz fans but there is a huge presence of Flamengo fans as they want see their club win the title for the 7th time.

The fans are ready in the stadium

View attachment 165707

and some of the Flamengo fans are waiting for the team's bus.

View attachment 165706

Here the line-up for both clubs.

View attachment 165705View attachment 165704

Our squad feature a couple of changes from the last game as Alex was suspended after collecting his 9th yellow card and was replaced by Colombian Cristian Zapata. Both Marcio Araujo and Hector Cantero, who play CM, are injured and will be replaced by Talisca. For the game, we to watch out for Grafite as he is still a threat to score on us.

As the officials go to the middle, they signal both goalies to see if they are ready. Santa Cruz will start the game.

*TWEET*

7th minute: Rene Junior is injured as he pulled a muscle from running to the ball but has told the manager that he can continue.

9th minute: Santa Cruz' Allan has the ball and moved the ball left to Vinicius Reche. He then moves it right to Jefferson Maranhao. Maranhao finds Grafite in the right and gives to him. Grafite finds some space and shoots a speculative long-range shot... BLOCKED BY TALISCA!!! The midfielder manages to get his head in front of the ball and clear it. Ronaldinho must be happy with the defensive work.

9th minute: Lucas Pierre is booked with the yellow card after tripping Jorge.

13th minute: Jorge hit the ball back 25 yards towards Talisca. He crosses the ball in to the near post from the left. Allan manages to miss the header to clear it and Flamengo's Diego Morales hits the header... SAVED BY BRUNO GRASSI!!! You can see Ronaldinho put his hands in his head in disbelief.

20th minute: Both Allan and Talisca run towards the ball in the air inside the box. Allan manages to head it but the goes as far as to Paolo Guerrero. He heads it... SAVED BY BRUNO GRASSI!!! Another chance for Flamengo and they couldn't score.

22nd minute: Freekick for Flamengo. Talisca prepares to take the set piece. He runs and shoots... JUST OVER THE BAR!!!

28th minute: Rene Junior signals to Ronaldinho that he cannot continue the match after sustaining an injury earlier. He will be replaced by Jonas.

30th minute: The Public announcer gives an update in the Criciuma vs Santos game. CRICIUMA 1X0 SANTOS. The Flamengo fans are cheering as they find out the Santos is behind and their chance for the title is closer than ever. If the Santos game ends like that, a draw will be enough for Flamengo to win.

45th minute: The referee adds three more minutes in the 1st half.

45th +3 minute: Yellow card for Jonas after tripping Jefferson Maranhao.

45th +4 minute: The referee ends the first half.

Flamengo is on course to win the title as Santos is losing their game and Fluminense is currently leveled with Joinville. Flamengo only needs one point to clinch the title if everything stands.

45th minute: Santa Cruz will make their sub as Bruno Moraes will replace Jefferson Maranhao. Flamengo will start the 2nd half

*TWEET*

46th minute: Juan Cazares looks at the ball and finds Diego Morales open. He plays one-two with Talisca and then gives it to Maicon. Maicon crosses the ball to the far post from the right. Oscar Romero manages to out jump the defender and heads it... JUST GOES BY WIDE!!!

49th minute: Jonas intercepts the ball and runs forward. He finds Juan Cazares open. Cazares manages to beat the defender and places a through ball towards a open Diego Morales. Morales get the ball, moves forward and shoots... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! WHAT A STRIKE! Diego Morales puts it in the top right corner and runs to the Flamengo fans. Bruno Grassi must be disappointed of conceding the goal. Ronaldinho is jumping up the air and you see him hugging Wellington Silva. Flamengo now needs 40 more minutes to win their 7th title.

View attachment 165695

49th minute: Santa Cruz will make their 2nd sub as Daniel Costa will replace Lucas Pierre. Santa Cruz will kick off.

54th minute: Yellow card issued to Serginho after tripping Maicon.

60th minute: Santa Cruz' Daniel Costa has the ball and searched out Thiago Carleto on the right wing. Carleto sent the ball to the far post from the right. Grafite jumps higher than Wallace and heads it... JUST GOES BY WIDE!!! Ronaldinho must be thanking the football gods.

60th minute: Santa Cruz makes their final sub. Nadson for Vinicius Reche.

63rd minute: The Public Announcer gives an update in the Criciuma vs Santos match. CRICIUMA 2X0 SANTOS! The Flamengo supporters cheer even louder as they now know that the title is practically in their hands.

65th minute: The Public Announcer gives an update on the Fluminense vs Joinville game. FLUMINENSE 0X1 JOINVILLE! The Flamengo fans started to chant proudly as they heard that their rivals are losing the game at home and know that they have no chance in winning the title.

68th minute: Maicon takes the throw-in and gives it to Jonas. Jonas plays it back to Maicon and then he finds Diego Morales open on his left. Morales continues to the left and finds Talisca open. Talisca gives it to Paolo Guerrero who immediately finds Juan Cazares open inside the box. Cazares gets free inside the penalty box and shoots... SAVED BY BRUNO GRASSI!!! Ronaldinho cannot believe it. This could have been the insurance marker but Flamengo managed to miss that opportunity.

69th minute: The Public Announcer gives an update on the Criciuma vs Santos game. CRICIUMA 2X1 SANTOS! The Flamengo starts to jeer but they know that Santos will need a big comeback and they confident that Flamengo will to the job.

77th minute: Yellow card for Allan after tripping Diego Morales.

83rd minute: Flamengo makes their 2nd sub as Wallace comes off and Marcelo comes in.

84th minute: Yellow card for Everton Sena after he stuck out his leg to to bring down Jorge.

86th minute: Allan played a superb ball to Everton Sena. Sena latched it to the far post from the right. Serginho manages to get it but is intercepted by Marcelo, who clears it. But the ball manages to get as far as Daniel Costa who one-two with Bruno Moraes and Costa shoots... SAVED BY CESAR!!! Ronaldinho almost had an heart attack when Costa shot the ball.

90th minute: The referee adds two more minutes.

90th +1 minute: Talisca feels a discomfort in his legs and is asked to be subbed off. He is replaced by Sebastian Palacios.

90th +2 minute: Corner kick for Flamengo. Juan Cazares tells Palacios to come closer and gives the ball to him. he plays it back to Cazares to times waste a little bit until Thiago Carleto clears the ball. Corner kick for Flamengo. *TWEET* But the referee says no corner and ends the game. FLAMENGO IS THE 2016 CAMPEONATO BRASILEIRO CHAMPION!!! Ronaldinho finally win the Brazilian league for the first time in his career. He falls down with emotion as players runs up to him to celebrate. Flamengo did the impossible as media predicted them to finish 6th but proved them wrong.

View attachment 165686

Final
View attachment 165685
View attachment 165684

View attachment 165680

Flamengo win Campeonato Brasileiro

View attachment 165678

Flamengo won their 7th Campeonato Brasileiro title after a trilling matchday finally where either Flamengo, Santos or Fluminense could have won the title. But it was Flamengo who prevailed as victorious after winning their game 1-0 against Santa Cruz. Santos lost to Criciuma and Fluminense lost to Joinville.

"It's a amazing achievement for club and I! " said Ronaldinho "We battle hard and even during our bad moment, we did not give up. I am proud of my boys. Next year we will focus on Copa Libertadores as we want to be the best team in South America. But tonight, we will do want I'm good at: Partying!"

Flamengo campaign throughout the year was a tough one as at one point they were in 10th place and were badly beaten by Atletico Paranaense 4-1. Many memorable moment include 1-0 win over Gremio, 3-2 win over Cruzeiro at Mineirao, 2-0 win over Botafogo and 2-0 win over Fluminense.

The standing after the 2016 season is:

View attachment 165677

The top 4 clubs and the Copa do Brasil winner will go to next year Copa Libertadores. Flamengo, Santos, Fluminense, and Corinthians all go by finishing top 4. Since Santos won the Copa do Brasil and finished in the top 4, the additional spot goes to the 5th place club with was Cruzeiro. Atletico Paranaense, Joinville, Sport and Figueirense were relegated to Serie B.​

View attachment 165676

Santos Wins Copa do Brasil

View attachment 165675
View attachment 165674

Just after days losing the Campeonato Brasileiro to Flamengo, Santos managed to celebrate their double as they defeated Goias 2-1 on aggregate for their 2nd title in 7 years. With the win, they qualify to Copa Libertadores next year.

Fresh off their Copa Libertadores victory, they were drawn against Coritiba in the Fourth Round, where they won 5-1 on aggregate. They met the 2015 champion Atletico Mineiro before eliminating 1-1 (7-6 on penalties). In the Semifinals, they met with Botafogo and easily dispatched them 4-1 before heading to their 2nd finals. In the finals, they met Goias and won.

View attachment 165673

View attachment 165672

Campeonato Brasileiro Awards

The awards were announced the day after Flamengo won the title. The awards are:

View attachment 165671
View attachment 165670

View attachment 165669
View attachment 165668

View attachment 165667
View attachment 165666

View attachment 165665
View attachment 165664

View attachment 165663
View attachment 165662

View attachment 165661
View attachment 165660

View attachment 165659
View attachment 165658

View attachment 165657
View attachment 165655

Other Awards

Goalkeeper of the Year: Vanderlei - Santos
Central Defender of the Year: Rodrigo Moledo - Palmeiras
Rightback of the Year: Fagner - Corinthians
Leftback of the Year: Jorge - Flamengo
Defensive Midfielder of the Year: Gil - Coritiba
Midfielder of the Year: Marquinhos - Cruzeiro
Striker of the Year: Eduardo Sasha - Internacional

Team of the Year
View attachment 165653

View attachment 165483

Atletico Nacional Wins Copa Sudamericana

View attachment 165482
View attachment 165481

Atletico Nacional from Colombia has won their 3rd Copa Sudamericana title (first title under the competition name Copa Sudamericana) after defeating Argentine's Independiente 1-1 (5-4 on on penalties). Atletico Nacional previously won the title in 1998 and 2000 when the competiton was called Copa Merconorte.

Also with the win, They will meet the Copa Libertadores champion Santos in a Recopa Sudamericana early in February.

Their journey to the title was a long one as they had to go through the First Preliminary Round by defeating Peruvian's Real Garcilaso 4-3. They made to the Second Preliminary Round as they defeated Paraguay's Olimpia 3-2. After qualifying to the main competition, they met Velez Sarsfield from Argentina in the First Round, which they won 3-1. In the Quarterfinals, they faced Universidad de Chile and won 3-1. They advance to the Semifinals to meet Penarol from Uruguay. After the easily defeated them 4-0, they went to the finals and beat Independiente on penalties.

View attachment 165478

Sherman Cardenas from Atletico National won the Golden Boot after scoring 8 goals.​

View attachment 165476

Manchester United is World Best

View attachment 165475
View attachment 165474

Manchester United had one of the easiest title run in Club World Cup history after win their 2nd Club World Cup (3rd overall). They defeated the surprising MLS side Seattle Sounders 5-1. Manchester United previously won the title in 2008 and in 1999 when it was called the Intercontinental Cup.

Their journey to the title was easy as they were placed in the Semifinals and met Urawa Reds from Japan and easily defeated them 6-0. They met the Seattle Sounders, who surprisingly beat Santos 3-1, in the finals where they won 5-1.

View attachment 165471

Juan Mata from Manchester United was named Club World Cup Best Player.​

View attachment 165469

2016 Flamengo Review

View attachment 165468

Today, we will talk about the up and down 2016 season Flamengo had to face. Get ready of a long one.

Campeonato Carioca

The beginning of the season started promising where the club finished first place in both First and Second Stage of the compeititon. But they were eliminated by their rivals Botafogo 1-0 in the Semifinals. The winner of Campeonato Carioca was Fluminense winning their 33rd title.

First Stage
View attachment 165465

Second Stage
View attachment 165464

Championship Stage
View attachment 165463

Campeonato Carioca Results
View attachment 165462

Primeira Liga

This competition was the one to forget as Flamengo was eliminated in the Group Stage. The winner of the competition was Atletico Paranaense.

Group Stage
View attachment 165461

Knockout Stage
View attachment 165460

Primeira Liga Result
View attachment 165459

Copa do Brasil

Flamengo was eliminated by Cruzeiro 3-2 on aggregate. The board expectation was to reach the Quarterfinals but were finish by the Fourth Round. The winner of the competition was Santos

Preliminary Round to Third Round
View attachment 165458

Fourth Round to Final
View attachment 165457

Copa do Brasil Results
View attachment 165456

Campeonato Brasileiro

Flamengo had one of the best runs in Campeonato Brasileiro as they were crowned champions after a crazy final matchday. The lowest point was they lost 4-1 to Atletico Paranaense and was in 10th place before going up. They only had 1 loss in the last 20 games in the competition and also went on a 12 game unbeaten streak.

View attachment 165455

Campeonato Brasileiro results
View attachment 165454
View attachment 165453

Finance Report

The club have publicly released the 2016 financial report. Instead of writing, we will just show you the stats.

View attachment 165451
View attachment 165452

View attachment 165434
View attachment 165432
View attachment 165431
View attachment 165430

View attachment 165450
View attachment 165436

Flamengo Awards

There were awards handed out to the players of the club by the director of the clubs.

View attachment 165428

Team of the Year
View attachment 165426

2017 Season

The club will go on a vacation and will return on December 28.

View attachment 165424

The club will have 2 preseason games against the Copa Sudamericana Champions Atletico Nacional and Flamengo affiliate CSA.

View attachment 165421

From 2017 season and beyond, I feel like this story has been more of a club update than a Ronaldinho update. So I want to add more a Ronaldinho flavour to the story such as board meeting, player meeting, etc.​

Ronaldinho - Board Meeting

View attachment 165284

I sitting around my house, watching Globo Esporte as they talk about what Flamengo should do in their title defense come May and their prediction in Copa Libertadores. As much as I like to hear their opinions on what I should do with my squad, its my squad.

Suddenly I get a phone call! It's Eduardo Bandeira de Mello, the president of Flamengo.

"Hello" I said

"Ronny! How was your vacation?" said Eduardo.

"Good. It was good to finally relax a bit."

"That's good to hear. But I need you to come in my office tomorrow to discuss the 2017 season."

Wow right on point I see. "OK, I'll be there."

I might as well ask him if I can start my course in getting the National A license.

Next Day

I finally get to CT Ninho do Urubu, the training ground of Flamengo. I park my car and head in the office.

View attachment 165280

"Ronaldinho! Good that you came!" said Eduardo. He comes up and hugs me then invites me to sit down. "We need to discuss some important matter so I'm just going straight to the point."

I get really nervous. I mean expectation wise. Maybe he wants me to go undefeated the entire year.

"So tell me" I said.

"First thing first, is the we want to ask you about coaching budget. I know we lost our Assistant Manager and fitness coach to retirement. I want you to pick the best Assistant that you want and a replacement fitness coach. Here are the budget that I will be providing to the staff."

"OK" I said "The Assistant position will be named in a couple of day as I have a few names in mind. The fitness coach is something that I can look at but I want to evaluate the strength and weakness of the staff and look for the best one that fits."

"Fair enough" said the president "Another thing is that Flamengo is cutting ties with our affilation with Macae. I feel like we don't use them enough and it just a waste of money to support a club that we don't use."

"Really? So isn't there anyway that we can get another club to help send our players? I will be very good if we had a club to help us"

"Unfortunately no" said Edurado.

I can sense that nothing will change his mind on that. I'm disappointed but I will have to move on with. But hopefully in some time in the future I can ask again.

"Now for the final thing is our expectation that we want you to achieve with the club this year"

Oh boy this is going to get interesting.

"For Campeonato Carioca" said Eduardo "We want you to win the title. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't even make the finals last year. So I'm expecting nothing less than a title. I don't want Fluminense surpass us in title."

"That fair enough" I said "I hope with our luck and form from last year can carry on."

"It better" he said "I'll revisit you again when the draws for both Copa Libertadores and Copa do Brasil come up. Also in April, I will tell you about Campeonato Brasileiro."

I was expecting more to be honest but it gives me time to prepare.

"So Ronny" he said "Any question?"

"Actually yes. I wanted your permission to start my National A License course as soon as possible."

"Request Granted. More knowledge means better training which turns into better results."

"Thank you very much" I said.

"So this concludes our meeting" Eduardo said "Now get out of here"

I get up and walk away. My work should be starting right now but I want to have one more party before the start.​

View attachment 165275

Campeonato Carioca Set

View attachment 165273

The 2017 Campeonato Gaúcho is set and the competition will start early. The preseason action against Atletico Nacional was cancel due to a Carioca game that same day.

Campeonato Carioca is the annual football championship of the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It was first held in 1906 and is these days organised by the Federação de Futebol do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, the state's football federation. It the third oldest league in Brazil, with only the Campeonato Paulista of São Paulo and the Campeonato Baiano of Bahia predating it.

Rivalries amongst four of the most prestigious Brazilian teams (Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense and Vasco da Gama) have marked the history of the competition. Fluminense is the team with the largest number of titles of the 20th century, with now 33, being known as the "champion of the century". Flamengo leads the new century with 8 titles and is tied the overall counting with Fluminense with 33 titles.

In this year edition, Flamengo was placed in Group B in the First Stage and will 8 games. The top 4 team in Group A and B will qualify to the Second Stage, while the bottom 4 from both groups will go to the Relegation Stage.

View attachment 165272

The games that Flamengo will play in the First Stage will be:

View attachment 165271

View attachment 164246

New Signing

Ronaldinho confirmed that Flamengo made their new signing this week. They have acquired Diego Souza from Metalist Kharkiv of Ukraine for a fee of £2 million.

In
View attachment 164242

Diego Souza
View attachment 164245
View attachment 164244

Diego Souza is a Campeonato Brasileiro veteran that will play in his 2nd spell for the club. He last played for Flamengo in 2005 and 2006 season. His strongest ability is that he is very unpredictable against opposition which is the main reason that he can get pass players. He enjoys big matches and is very reliable during important games.

Out
View attachment 164241

Many players left Flamengo on Free Transfer after failing to impress Ronaldinho during the season. Arthur Bonaldo, Thiago Ennes, Leo Duarte, Juan Felipe, Rafael Dumas, and Welinton all left on Free. Eron joined Stade Malherbe Caen of France, Hugo went to CRB, and Daniel went to ABC, all on loan. Gabriel joined Cruzeiro in a £1.3 million fee.

Ronaldinho - Campeonato Carioca

Clube de Regatas do Flamengo vs Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas

View attachment 164240
View attachment 164239
View attachment 164238

We start our 2017 campaign with a big loss to our rivals in an embarrassing fashion. After a great start where we scored in the first 2 minutes, it was all downhill from there. We need to pick up our form quickly since every preseason games were cancelled due to this competition.

Diego Morales scored the first goal of the game after an accurate finish from inside the penalty kick area. Boschilia tied the game after a tidy finish from 11 metres. Ronaldo took advantage of Wallace's error to score a deftly executed finish from close range and give Botafogo the lead. Sassa sealed the deal after an incisive finish from 14 metres.

Flamengo will head to Giulite Coutinho stadium to face Nova Iguacu in a Campeonato Carioca.​

Ronaldinho - Campeonato Carioca

Nova Iguaçu Futebol Clube vs Clube de Regatas do Flamengo

View attachment 164224
View attachment 164223
View attachment 164222

Great win against ova Iguacu even though they are in a Lower Division in Brazil. Sebastian Palacios had a huge game with 2 goals. Also there were 4 debuts in our squad today: Goalkeeper Thiago, Jeferson Nem, Lua Lucio, and Dorlan.

Sebastian Palacios scored the first goal of the game after taking advantage of Pedro Ayub's error to score a close range effort which was timed impeccably. Palacios got his 2nd after an effort from range.

Flamengo will host Boavista in a Campeonato Carioca match.​

View attachment 164201

Another Addition

Flamengo has acquired striker Luiz Adriano from AC Milan in a year long loan. The striker will be a great addition to the attacking side of the club.

View attachment 164200
View attachment 164199

Luiz Adriano, who spent most of his career in Ukraine, will return to Brazil for the first time since Internacional in 2006. He has a high work rate and is a good team player. Relishes big matches and is a consistent performer. The only main weakness is that he has a competitive streak that sometimes lead him to bend the rules.

Luiz Andriano will most likely start against Resende in Campeonato Carioca.​