Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
CJACKO in the other thread said it was clear red and there was no need for video replay to justify it.

Yer i believe he was lucky to escape with only a yellow

Just becuase he made a career, doesnt mean he wasnt a scummy thug does it....

Drogba wasnt banned for the camera though, Wayne didnt swear the the Ref or another player, or even the crowd, he swore into an machine....

But no matter what you think this machine was being projected back to millions of people worldwide and young children who think Rooney if their hero.

It was also muffled by the sound of thousands of fans. Hence why after the incident it had to be worked out from youtube what he said, not immediately. You said you lip read it, not heard it. Interesting choice of words. As I say, they often zoom in on players having a go at the ref and interpret it. The commentator's often joke about it "No guessing what he said there, is there?".

Exactly, 100's of times players can cite other reasons. Why can't Rooney. There have been 3-4 video's linked here of players or managers swearing at the camera. So yes, there are precedents. Yes, the FA are being inconsistent. Yes, it's hypocritical and the punishment is totally ridiculous.

I've already answered these arguments. As I said before, Rooney did the most he possibly could to say the F word on air and it was directed at the camera. Obviously it couldn't be heard, but obviously this is way, way different from swearing on the field. As I stated before, it's way more difficult to punish someone for swearing on the field than it is in this situation. And all of the youtube videos posted on this thread are completely different. Each one of them was in an interview right after a game (what happens outside of a game is very different than what happens during it), and they all were clearly accidents. Would I have been bothered if these people were fined? No. But what Rooney did was completely different, he intentionally went up to the camera and said "**** off." I am horrible at lip reading, and was able to understand it. The FA can't sit there and not do anything, obviously they have to make an example out of him. You can't deliberately walk up to the camera in the middle of the game and say "**** off." Anyone that does say deserves a one-match ban.

If you want to argue that the punishment was too harsh, fine, I even agree with you to a certain extent (think it should have been a one match ban not two). But the idea that the decision was inconsistent or a result of unfair bias towards ManU/Rooney is nonsense. Find me another incident of a player intentionally walking right up to the camera, putting his face right into it and swearing at it. And if it did happen, than two wrongs don't make a right...you can't point to another botched decision and claim that it should excuse this one.

CJACKO in the other thread said it was clear red and there was no need for video replay to justify it.

Well that's his opinion. I saw about 3 replays and it didn't look a red card IMO. I'll try and record it on ChelseaTV tonight.

I'll take your word for it but this is totally differnet. That was somthing he belived in but surely he knows how to behave on the pitch and how to take stick more than any of us

Why did he act right then, his opinion is people shouldnt swear.. but mine is people should tackle like he did, yet he still did it.

Well that's his opinion. I saw about 3 replays and it didn't look a red card IMO. I'll try and record it on ChelseaTV tonight.

What you posted was Stoke city fan's opinion. Nothing different.

I leave you with this:

If anger makes Wayne Rooney brilliant, he can swear as much as he likes
If the FA wants to stop swearing being broadcast it should keep microphones out of players' faces during matches

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9579711

So Wayne Rooney's got a dirty mouth and swears during football matches. Anyone with eyes and even the most rudimentary lip-reading skills will have known this for a while, of course, but the absolute cast-iron broadcast confirmation that came during Saturday's game between Manchester United and West Ham has still been greeted with a great deal of excitement, as will the news that Rooney has been charged with using insulting or offensive language by the FA.

With a fair bit of effort, I can kind of understand some of it. Sure, such behaviour is disappointing from a star of the country's most high-profile team and a mainstay of the England side, but this is a man who paid for *** with prostitutes while his wife was pregnant. Next to that, saying a nasty word a couple of times doesn't really register on my disappointment scale.

Some were upset by the aggression with which he celebrated his hat-trick, but it was probably the same aggression, fuelled in the dressing room at half-time, or the result of his team's dismal performance in the first half, that inspired him to score it. If you can't have one without the other and you definitely want one, you need to accept the other.

And what results it brought. Surely whatever motivation was used by Rooney or his manager, the wonderful free-kick that opened the scoring for United, and his brilliantly taken second, more than justified it. The quality of his performance is all that mattered. I care little whether he was inspired by anger, by a desire for financial gain, or by visualising a million burning puppies yelping with pain and anguish while a thousand starving sparrows peck at their paws with specially sharpened beaks.

It's not as if angry sportsmen are a new phenomenon. From John McEnroe to that scene in Chariots of Fire where Eric Liddell gets knocked over, snarls a bit, gets up and wins, people have been channelling anger to good result. And Rooney is not alone in having been caught swearing on camera: here's Roger Federer doing it. Here's Maria Sharapova. Here's an angry shot-putter. Here's Harbhajan Singh swearing at Kevin Pietersen. Here's Serena Williams being defaulted from the 2009 US Open for threatening to kill a line judge.

One of the things that makes sport great is the emotion that it conjures, both in participants and spectators, and anyone who attempts to legislate that emotion away is my enemy and the enemy of football. I am not a United fan, but I thought their second-half performance on Saturday was brilliantly compelling. It brought me a lot of pleasure. Frankly, Rooney can come to my house and swear directly into my face as often as he likes if it's going to help him do it again. OK, it might get a bit tiresome after a while.

As the furore grew on Saturday Rooney released a statement. "I want to apologise for any offence," he said. "Emotions were running high. On reflection my reaction was inappropriate." This should have been the end of it, but the Football Association, as ever, sought the last word.

If this mucky business causes Rooney to consider, while playing, the possibility of a microphone picking up his words and broadcasting them to horrified millions, and if considering that means that for even a fraction of one second he is distracted from his football, then it must be considered a terrible failure on the part of the FA and the Premier League.

Their job is to create the best possible product, to allow footballers to play as well as they can as often as they can, and they will have failed in that task. If they really want to stop players' swearing from being broadcast perhaps they should do something to keep microphones out of players' faces during matches. Really it is Sky who should be being reprimanded here, for employing a guy with a hand-held camera to run up to players at key moments and poke it in their faces, and the football authorities, for allowing them to do so.

I leave you with this:

If anger makes Wayne Rooney brilliant, he can swear as much as he likes
If the FA wants to stop swearing being broadcast it should keep microphones out of players' faces during matches

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9579711

So Wayne Rooney's got a dirty mouth and swears during football matches. Anyone with eyes and even the most rudimentary lip-reading skills will have known this for a while, of course, but the absolute cast-iron broadcast confirmation that came during Saturday's game between Manchester United and West Ham has still been greeted with a great deal of excitement, as will the news that Rooney has been charged with using insulting or offensive language by the FA.

With a fair bit of effort, I can kind of understand some of it. Sure, such behaviour is disappointing from a star of the country's most high-profile team and a mainstay of the England side, but this is a man who paid for *** with prostitutes while his wife was pregnant. Next to that, saying a nasty word a couple of times doesn't really register on my disappointment scale.

Some were upset by the aggression with which he celebrated his hat-trick, but it was probably the same aggression, fuelled in the dressing room at half-time, or the result of his team's dismal performance in the first half, that inspired him to score it. If you can't have one without the other and you definitely want one, you need to accept the other.

And what results it brought. Surely whatever motivation was used by Rooney or his manager, the wonderful free-kick that opened the scoring for United, and his brilliantly taken second, more than justified it. The quality of his performance is all that mattered. I care little whether he was inspired by anger, by a desire for financial gain, or by visualising a million burning puppies yelping with pain and anguish while a thousand starving sparrows peck at their paws with specially sharpened beaks.

It's not as if angry sportsmen are a new phenomenon. From John McEnroe to that scene in Chariots of Fire where Eric Liddell gets knocked over, snarls a bit, gets up and wins, people have been channelling anger to good result. And Rooney is not alone in having been caught swearing on camera: here's Roger Federer doing it. Here's Maria Sharapova. Here's an angry shot-putter. Here's Harbhajan Singh swearing at Kevin Pietersen. Here's Serena Williams being defaulted from the 2009 US Open for threatening to kill a line judge.

One of the things that makes sport great is the emotion that it conjures, both in participants and spectators, and anyone who attempts to legislate that emotion away is my enemy and the enemy of football. I am not a United fan, but I thought their second-half performance on Saturday was brilliantly compelling. It brought me a lot of pleasure. Frankly, Rooney can come to my house and swear directly into my face as often as he likes if it's going to help him do it again. OK, it might get a bit tiresome after a while.

As the furore grew on Saturday Rooney released a statement. "I want to apologise for any offence," he said. "Emotions were running high. On reflection my reaction was inappropriate." This should have been the end of it, but the Football Association, as ever, sought the last word.

If this mucky business causes Rooney to consider, while playing, the possibility of a microphone picking up his words and broadcasting them to horrified millions, and if considering that means that for even a fraction of one second he is distracted from his football, then it must be considered a terrible failure on the part of the FA and the Premier League.

Their job is to create the best possible product, to allow footballers to play as well as they can as often as they can, and they will have failed in that task. If they really want to stop players' swearing from being broadcast perhaps they should do something to keep microphones out of players' faces during matches. Really it is Sky who should be being reprimanded here, for employing a guy with a hand-held camera to run up to players at key moments and poke it in their faces, and the football authorities, for allowing them to do so.

I dont mind him when he crashes into a challenge which you can see coming from a mile off and then telling the other bloke to **** off etc. But when he looks staight down a camera and swears i just think thats morally wrong.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Why did he act right then, his opinion is people shouldnt swear.. but mine is people should tackle like he did, yet he still did it.

Hes opinion is players shouldnt swear the way Rooney did i.e right down the camera lens.

I know you dont do it, but when fans up and down the country scream fat **** at him while they take their kids with them, then play the moral card, i call it rank hypocrisy and bullshit

I've already answered these arguments. As I said before, Rooney did the most he possibly could to say the F word on air and it was directed at the camera. Obviously it couldn't be heard, but obviously this is way, way different from swearing on the field. As I stated before, it's way more difficult to punish someone for swearing on the field than it is in this situation. And all of the youtube videos posted on this thread are completely different. Each one of them was in an interview right after a game (what happens outside of a game is very different than what happens during it), and they all were clearly accidents. Would I have been bothered if these people were fined? No. But what Rooney did was completely different, he intentionally went up to the camera and said "**** off." I am horrible at lip reading, and was able to understand it. The FA can't sit there and not do anything, obviously they have to make an example out of him. You can't deliberately walk up to the camera in the middle of the game and say "**** off." Anyone that does say deserves a one-match ban.

If you want to argue that the punishment was too harsh, fine, I even agree with you to a certain extent (think it should have been a one match ban not two). But the idea that the decision was inconsistent or a result of unfair bias towards ManU/Rooney is nonsense. Find me another incident of a player intentionally walking right up to the camera, putting his face right into it and swearing at it. And if it did happen, than two wrongs don't make a right...you can't point to another botched decision and claim that it should excuse this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAk7o1gQm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1r1av1Shn4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y35ZUDcieds&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_AGlAqcm0

Since you're being so specific that "a player walks up to a camera and swears" I know you'll pick up that these are post-match. But, both are live on daytime TV. In fact, it is far worst post-match as the noise is lesser and the swearing is far more audible than Rooney's. So how you can say Rooney deserves punishment and it's a completely unique case, so he should be made an example of; in the words of Alex Ferguson, is complete bollocks.

Well that sums up then.

Hope we dont miss him much for 2 games.

i created this thread went away then came back and find that it has 271 posts!!!

I know you dont do it, but when fans up and down the country scream fat **** at him while they take their kids with them, then play the moral card, i call it rank hypocrisy and bullshit

Nailed it.
I dont even think anyone even felt offended for the F word. Just FA trying to act big here.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

and? When I said 'his opinion' in my last post I was talking about 'CJACKO11' not the Stoke fan's opinion.

What you posted was stoke city fan's opinion.
What i posted was CJACKO's opinion.

Stoke city fan said it was yellow at best.
Chelsea fan said it was clear red.

Maybe so but to a 6year old kid who plays football at a young age Rooney is more of a role model to him than his dad is.

Nailed it.
I dont even think anyone even felt offended for the F word. Just FA trying to act big here.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

What you posted was stoke city fan's opinion.
What i posted was CJACKO's opinion.

Stoke city fan said it was yellow at best.
Chelsea fan said it was clear red.

I'll say it again - and? You'd think a Stoke fan would be ranting on about it saying it was a blatant red and saying that they would have won had we been down to 10 men.

His kid cant copy what hes dad does on the football pitch but he can copy what Rooney does.

But surely the kid will carry the morals taught by his dad.?

Anyone who see Terry as their role model wont bang their best mates girl friend. They will take what really helps them to fulfill their dream.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I'll say it again - and? You'd think a Stoke fan would be ranting on about it saying it was a blatant red and saying that they would have won had we been down to 10 men.

So we should make our judgments based on Stoke city fans reaction? It was clear red. Two footed, studds up and caught Pennant. What more you want..

Are you just purposely being ignorant? Video's have been linked multiple times of managers and players swearing live on TV. So yes, it has happened before in living memory.

How can you say they haven't made a target from him and then say they've set an example from him in the following sentence. They're equivalents.

Already answered the first part, and as for the second part, making an example of someone and making a target of someone are two completely different things. When you target someone, that means you are unfairly singling them out. People are claiming that the FA is unfairly targeting Rooney and punishing him too harshly because he's Rooney/ManU. I think it's a ludicrous claim and I bet Terry or Gerrard would have received the same punishment. Making an example of someone is when someone does something unprecented and you punish them harshly so as to make sure that others in the future don't do the same. I think that's what happened here. They punished Rooney harshly so that in the future, players don't go up to the camera in their goal celebrations and swear at it.

Rio said to Rooney after his Clapping moment i few years ago for England.. He was a prat and was being stupid. He also told him to grow up. Rio will tell wayne Straight, they are good friends, they can be honest.

Yeah but a lot of people are complaining about the decision being unfair, so it makes much more sense to criticize the decision rather than your own player. That doesn't mean that Rio didn't tell him in his own private time that he shouldn't do that. And I'm sure SAF had a word with Rooney in private. I don't remember the clapping moment but my guess is that it was a few years ago when Rooney was younger. He's older and well-established in ManU now so I doubt Ferdinand would tell him to grow up. It's very rare to see a player criticize a teammate, especially if the teammate is well-established and not young, and it never happens if a player is harshly punished for his actions (then you can simply criticize the disciplinary body).

so rio says one thing, and you decide it means another? riiiiight

But this happens all the time. How many times has Wenger said "I didn't see it" when an Arsenal player makes a bad challenge? That doesn't mean the challenge was OK, and it doesn't mean that Wenger didn't yell at the player in private for making such a stupid tackle. This was in response to your comment that you weren't bothered at all by Rooney's actions and that he didn't let down the team, which no offense but I think you have to be a bit biased to say that. Even if the FA punishment was too harsh, Rooney deliberately did something unprofessional and stupid that could have and did end up resulting in a punishment that hurt the team. He let the team down, there's no other way around it. If you want to criticize the FA for being too harsh, that's fine. But that doesn't exonnerate Rooney from his behavior.

If one of my players ever does something stupid that could end up hurting the team, I am more mad at the player than at whoever disciplines him, whether or not it was harsh. When Dempsey elbowed that guy during the Algeria game of the World Cup, I was absolutely furious with him. It could have been a red, but we were lucky and the ref only gave him a yellow. But his actions could have seriously damaged the team's chances, and he did something that was easily avoidable and had the possibility of letting down the team. If he would have gotten a red and a match ban that was too harsh, I would've been just as ****** off at him as at FIFA for a harsh decision.

But surely the kid will carry the morals taught by his dad.?

Anyone who see Terry as their role model wont bang their best mates girl friend. They will take what really helps them to fulfill their dream.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

So we should make our judgments based on Stoke city fans reaction? It was clear red. Two footed, studds up and caught Pennant. What more you want..

lol you keep saying this but you're basing it off a gif, watch it then comment.

Back