Roy Hodgson Appointed WBA Boss

Will He Keep them Up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calum

Reaction score
West Brom have appointed former Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson as their new head coach. The 63-year-old, who parted company with the Reds in January after only six months in charge, succeeds Roberto di Matteo at the Hawthorns.
Di Matteo was relieved of his duties and placed on gardening leave following Saturday's 3-0 loss at Manchester City.

Caretaker head coach Michael Appleton will remain in temporary charge for the visit of West Ham on Saturday.
"The club are now channelling all of their efforts into supporting Appleton, his assistants Keith Downing and Dean Kiely and the players as they prepare for tomorrow's vital game," said a statement.
Hodgson will attend the match on a watching brief before meeting the West Brom hierarchy to discuss his plans and facing the media next week.

The 63-year-old former Inter Milan, Blackburn and Switzerland boss has signed a contract until June 2012 and takes over a Baggies side who have lose 13 of their last 18 matches in all competitions.
He was voted manager of the year by the League Managers' Association after guiding Fulham to the 2010 Europa League final and succeeded Rafael Benitez at Liverpool that summer.
But the Englishman was dismissed on 8 January having won just seven of 20 Premier League games, with Reds legend Kenny Dalglish immediately installed as interim boss.

Hodgson will not have to wait long to face his old club, with Liverpool due at the Hawthorns on 2 April.
A West Brom spokesman confirmed to BBC Sport that Di Matteo remains on gardening leave and relieved of his duties until any further announcement.

On Sky Sports News !

Your Thoughts?

My thought is good appointment by WBA, good boss with the so called wee teams and will do well for them.

Last edited:
Good appointment, he looked lost at a big club, hopefully he can replicate what he did with Fulham.

He will do well, but I still think they should of kept Di Matteo

Strange situation, I remember Di Matteo's name being mentioned by a few Liverpool fans as a replacement for Roy. Who would of thought he'd be the one being replaced.

Good appointment. West Bwom is an ideal club for a manager like Woy Hodgson.

I guess he'll sign Poulsen of Liverpool next season for the Baggies.

Hope he does well he deserves something good after the whole Liverpool fiasco.

Kind of glad he got this job, would be really horrible for a good manager to have his last job at Liverpool, he deserves another chance to do some good work like he did at Fulham

Probably a good appointment for both parties, here. I don't think he, or anyone else can keep up this side though. Defensively they are dreadful, despite a wealth of attacking talent in Brunt, Odemwinige, Thomas, Vela etc. I hope he does well tbh, Vela to save the season ;) but can't see it in all honesty.

Terrible appointment IMO. West Brom actually played proper football under Matteo.

Terrible appointment IMO. West Brom actually played proper football under Matteo.

Hodgson often played "proper football" at Fulham. It was never long ball as such, just relying on counter attacking down the wings. Never mind about attacking at this point, they've got enough players to score goals, they need defensive solidity.

I think it's too early to return to management. But I hope he does well. It's really hard to see someone fall from grace and this could make or break his career.