Russia World Cup 2018

• Thread starter Thread starter zzeezzy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 49K
Yeh even though they are technically better opponents I'm quite happy with it because it will actually be both teams trying to win (Russia would of sat back) and will probably be a better watch for neutrals.

I have a feeling we're going to be facing the real possibility of teams going to the final based on a penalty shootout or at the very least going into extra time.

We already showed a lot of nerves today, and both teams will be very nervy-the pressure will be immense. I sense both sides going for a defensive game plan.

I want to be wrong so badly as it's an awful way to reach a final.

Yeah better result for England. You don't want to be playing hosts in the semis.

I have a feeling we're going to be facing the real possibility of teams going to the final based on a penalty shootout or at the very least going into extra time.

We already showed a lot of nerves today, and both teams will be very nervy-the pressure will be immense. I sense both sides going for a defensive game plan.

I want to be wrong so badly as it's an awful way to reach a final.

Croatia are on a roll with penalty shoot outs so stuff that, I find it hard to imagine England vs Croatia game will be goalless.

Croatia are on a roll with penalty shoot outs so stuff that, I find it hard to imagine England vs Croatia game will be goalless.

In that case I'm holding you to your word. If your wrong......... *polishes hammer* ;)

I was actually saying it to my own post before "it has penalties written all over this game" "or not... knew that would happen". :P

But yeh this game has been really dire to watch, I've found it pretty boring.
Hot Russian women aside, I napped through the second half and penalties.

Yeah Croatia just have scary names but not much of a team.

Yeah Croatia just have scary names but not much of a team.

They looked decent in the group stages but haven't replicated that in the knock out so far. I think we can beat Croatia and if so it might actually benefit us playing a team that will keep the ball in prep for belgium/france.

the winner of the world cup is coming from the a france belgium game but saying that i did not think we would get out of the groupe so what do i know

Yeah I kind of want to see a new winner but it's shaping up for France-England final.

Croatia are pretty solid, if you look at where their players play their football they are scattered around top-class clubs, so they must have something about them. Can;t be underestimated.

Confident England have enough to get past them though.

Jordan Pickford my new hero

Southgate has to make a big decision for me. I think if he sticks with the same personal then Hendo could get overrun in midfield. He is at times playing midfield on his own during large portions of the game.

As much as I would love England to make the World Cup final, I honestly don't think we're favourites. Croatia aren't really playing at a high level at the moment, but given the firepower they have, and their result against Argentina, I think they'll fancy themselves against us. I've been very impressed with how Southgate has been utilising set pieces, and encouraging passing out from the defence, but there's been little creativity in attacking areas outside of dead ball situations. Perhaps if we used Sterling/Rashford to exploit the space between Croatia's full-backs, who seem to like to roam forward, then we could get the ball to Kane on the counter, but at the moment creativity is a key issue. At least we showed against Sweden we can actually keep a clean sheet though!

On a side note, I really hope Loftus-Cheek and Rashford are given more of an opportunity against Croatia, especially given Alli and, to a lesser extent, Sterling's travails. Loftus-Cheek's passing range and height could be great weapons against the Croats, while Rashford is able to create opportunities for himself. Having said that, Southgate definitely seems to know what he's doing, so I'm sure football's coming home regardless! (H)
RLC is the last person I would play. Not been impressed with his off the ball movement, its incredibly poor you see the difference between him and Lingard who works so hard making sure Hendo isn't always left alone in the middle. Can't afford no passengers in a semi final.

One thing is certain, you won't have such favorable route to the World Cup final in the next 100 years.

First average Colombia missing their best player, then even more average Sweden, and now Croatia, talented but underperforming and completely knackered after two brutal 120 minute games.

Sterling gets criticised too harshly, sure he's not scoring the goals and needs to be more clinical. But he really did play well yesterday, runs off the ball were frightening the Sweden defence and constantly have to make them drop deeper than they wanted to therefore allowing more space for our other players on/off the ball also.

Croatia is a difficult game, as you would expect any semi-final to be. but lets just see what happens. I personally am proud of this team no matter what happens now. People say it has been a good run of teams (which it has), but you can only beat what is I front of you. Teams like Sweden and Colombia were in knockout rounds because they deserved to be over teams like Germany and Senegal.

[h=1]Raheem Sterling’s movement is crucial to this England team[/h]

Raheem Sterling’s movement is crucial to this England team | Football News | Sky Sports

Lets just put into context, due to England's recent record, people even doubted whether we could before this World Cup even get out of the group. That's how low peoples expectations were for this side and the optimism going into the tournament. Then we face Colombia in last 16, with England's record of not winning a knockout game for 12 years and not winning a penalty shootout for 22 years was a monumental achievement. Then reaching our first semi-final in 28 years I believe beating a Swedish team who England had a terrible record against. Only winning 2 competitive matches in 7 against Sweden before yesterday.

So yes I understand that on paper it has been a favourable run (but no team is in knockout rounds because they don't deserve it), lets just remember the context of how low England have been for the last decade or two. these types of teams are the ones you have to beat to make it further in the competition and England simply haven't done so before now.

It has been a great World Cup for England for these reasons and the fans are now back behind the team. A year ago in qualifying fans were taunting the team and throwing paper airplanes on the pitch..... Southgate has restored that somehow when it didn't even seem salvageable.

Last edited:
Yeah Southgate made a huge a difference in how your team is perceived.

For as long as I remember everybody always hates England's team because your match going fans are insufferable wankers and your media always acts as if rest of the world somehow owes you the cup. But this is the first England lineup that actually slowly wins the hearts of neutral fans, and a lot that is thanks to Southgate who is a likeable character and says all the right things.

He needs to ditch that ridiculous waistcoat, though. The only time when it's appropriate to wear a waistcoat is if you're a waiter.

Back