Scared of dying?

The only thing that perturbs me, is the universe becoming extinct. Once it's gone..............what then?

The only thing that perturbs me, is the universe becoming extinct. Once it's gone..............what then?

maybe another universe but as that's not something that's going to happen in my lifetime then to me it's not worth thinking about or being scared of. actually that makes me wonder if there's no point in being scared of something that won't happen in your lifetime does that mean you shouldn't be afraid of death as technically your death ends your lifetime so it would be outside of it. maybe that's why i'm not afriad of it.

[video=youtube;TlbAmjl-KVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbAmjl-KVU[/video]

A lot of jokes on this site are 'not nice', that was just a joke which no one should take offence to.

I havent taken 'offence' to it, merely pointing out its not a great thing to say.

I fail to see what's so difficult to understand about the concept.

I feel the same thing about you, really. You seem to think 'not being afraid of death' equals being a moron and trying to get yourself killed. Of course I'm going to move out of the way of a lorry, I would prefer dying of old age after having a bunga-bunga a la Berlusconi, but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of death. Just because I don't jump off a building or shoot myself in the head doesn't mean I'm afraid of death, either. And in 13 pages you haven't even considered the possibility of someone dying of natural causes.

Anyways, this is as far as I'll go with this argument. It's like arguing with a wall - a pedantic wall, though.

I feel the same thing about you, really. You seem to think 'not being afraid of death' equals being a moron and trying to get yourself killed. Of course I'm going to move out of the way of a lorry, I would prefer dying of old age after having a bunga-bunga a la Berlusconi, but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of death. Just because I don't jump off a building or shoot myself in the head doesn't mean I'm afraid of death, either. And in 13 pages you haven't even considered the possibility of someone dying of natural causes.

Anyways, this is as far as I'll go with this argument. It's like arguing with a wall - a pedantic wall, though.

Dying of a terminal illness is reasonably natural.

You seem to think that not being afraid of something is equal to not thinking about being afraid. You move out of the lorry by NATURAL instinct. You don't go through the thought process "I'd prefer to die of old age after having a bunga-bunga a la Berlusconi". You just move? Why, because self-preservation causes you to feel fear NATURALLY of being hit by the lorry. Not because you think. Fear causes you to move in the same way pain causes you to move your hand away from something hot. You don't think "ooh, this is hot - best move" you just move, instinctively. To argue you don't have a natural feeling of fear of death is equal to arguing that you don't feel pain when your body is being damaged. They're both the result of the same effect. Which is why I linked you the **** wiki article, it explains all this, and you swept it aside because it disagrees with you

I was stating a scientific fact, I never wanted an argument over this, because there is none. I'm only repeating what you'll find in any half decent science textbook, hence the reference to you debating over evolution. If you don't believe everyone has natural fear, of death, you don't believe everyone has the natural will to survive, if you don't believe in a natural will to survive - then you've just destroyed a crux of evolution.

I was stating a scientific fact, I never wanted an argument over this, because there is none. I'm only repeating what you'll find in any half decent science textbook, hence the reference to you debating over evolution. If you don't believe everyone has natural fear, of death, you don't believe everyone has the natural will to survive, if you don't believe in a natural will to survive - then you've just destroyed a crux of evolution.

seeing as we don't know everyone on the planet how can we tell for definate that everyone has developed a natural fear of death, in my opinion fearing death is not the same thing as wanting to live. although i'm not sure i agree that everone wants to live because you get people who commit suicide. yes they might see it as the only way out of a bad situation but doesn't that mean that they are not scared of death to commit to going through it?

seeing as we don't know everyone on the planet how can we tell for definate that everyone has developed a natural fear of death, in my opinion fearing death is not the same thing as wanting to live. although i'm not sure i agree that everone wants to live because you get people who commit suicide. yes they might see it as the only way out of a bad situation but doesn't that mean that they are not scared of death to commit to going through it?

Survival is a universal constant between all living organisms. I can safely generalise the population under this assumption. Just because they commit suicide doesn't mean they lack fear of death, my very first statement was that every sane person will fear it.

Not really, no.

But whatever rocks your boat.

Yes, yes it is. I linked you a perfectly valid wikipedia article stating as much, that you dismissed and probably didn't even read. If I had time, I could dig up countless more sources stating the exact same thing, but I can't be bothered proving known scientific principles to someone who clearly doesn't want to accept them.

Survival is a universal constant between all living organisms. I can safely generalise the population under this assumption. Just because they commit suicide doesn't mean they lack fear of death, my very first statement was that every sane person will fear it.

i still don't agree that every sane person will fear death because at the end of the day it's unavoidable and surely those who know that they've only got X amount of months to live don't fear death but learn to live their lives knwoing they will soon end and they accept their fate.

that's kind of the view i have except i'm not in that position. i know that when i die i die and that there won't be anything i'll be able to do about it so when that moment comes i won't be scared and i'll accept death. it doesn't necessarily mean that i'm insane or that i don't want to preserve my life.

i still don't agree that every sane person will fear death because at the end of the day it's unavoidable and surely those who know that they've only got X amount of months to live don't fear death but learn to live their lives knwoing they will soon end and they accept their fate.

that's kind of the view i have except i'm not in that position. i know that when i die i die and that there won't be anything i'll be able to do about it so when that moment comes i won't be scared and i'll accept death. it doesn't necessarily mean that i'm insane or that i don't want to preserve my life.

Just because you've accepted the fear as inevitable, doesn't remove the fear - it means you have control over it. All I ever said was people are naturally afraid of death by evolutionary concepts, it wasn't supposed to spark a debate - it was an observation. And we can be pretty **** certain that it applies to everyone on Earth, just because we don't know everyone doesn't mean it's not true. We haven't tested every corner of the universe if gravity is true there, but it's still a universal law.

I already said that there's nothing to be feared in the state of being dead as well. I've covered all your points at some point in this thread, I'm going around in circles.

If you want to debate on it, take the philosophical route. I have no idea why you're arguing over an evolutionary fact.

Yes, yes it is. I linked you a perfectly valid wikipedia article stating as much, that you dismissed and probably didn't even read. If I had time, I could dig up countless more sources stating the exact same thing, but I can't be bothered proving known scientific principles to someone who clearly doesn't want to accept them.

//Edit - I said I wouldn't argue, breaking my own word here. I'll leave you to your scientific wiki articles and pedantic remarks, can't be arsed to argue with you.

Last edited:
//Edit - I said I wouldn't argue, breaking my own word here. I'll leave you to your scientific wiki articles and pedantic remarks, can't be arsed to argue with you.

Thanks, I'll leave you in your little world where scientific facts are dismissed if they don't fit into your pretty little picture of the world.

Just because you've accepted the fear as inevitable, doesn't remove the fear - it means you have control over it. All I ever said was people are naturally afraid of death by evolutionary concepts, it wasn't supposed to spark a debate - it was an observation. And we can be pretty **** certain that it applies to everyone on Earth, just because we don't know everyone doesn't mean it's not true. We haven't tested every corner of the universe if gravity is true there, but it's still a universal law.

I already said that there's nothing to be feared in the state of being dead as well. I've covered all your points at some point in this thread, I'm going around in circles.

If you want to debate on it, take the philosophical route. I have no idea why you're arguing over an evolutionary fact.

but i've accepted death as inevitable, i've not accepted fear as inevitable. the fear is something that i've eitehr programmed out or hasn't been programmed in, and surely it's more a fear of the way you die rather a fear of death it's self as people have said they would be afraid if they were confronted with a knife but not if they were to die naturally. which makes me think it's a fear of pain.

actually the more i think about it the more i think that fear of death isn't natural as i don't believe newborn baby's have fear of death. granted they can't communicate with us and tell us whether they do or not but i think it's something that teh world as a whole believes and so it makes others believe when they are young in much the same way as you're upbringing affects you're religion and morals.