Scared of dying?

The debate gets all quantumy (definitely not a real word) a universe inside an atom etc. Can't be dealing with it

GOGO M-THEORY.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Guess I'm the anomaly again. In one of the aforementioned near-death situations, if I truly wanted to preserve my life I could've just not got involved. As it was, I stepped between my friend and the mugger and got schtabbed in the knee for my trouble (I used my mega ultra ninja skills of stepping back as the knife came down so he overbalanced and stabbed my knee instead of my stomach/chest).

So you overcame the fear for the emotion to commit the noble act of saving your friend. (Exceedingly commendable, by the way. <3)

Yes it is, fear is nature's way to of telling you to stop whatever is happening to keep yourself alive. You can't mentally acknowledge fear, only be aware of its effects, and thus deduce from that what you're scared of. An arachnophobe doesn't know they're scared of spiders because they think about being scared of spiders, they know they're afraid of them because they instinctively stay as far away from them and struggle to go near them. A non-arachnophobe knows that they're not scared of spiders because those reactions don't exist on their body.
Self-preservation =/= fearing death.
I agree.
Self-preservation = what ever is best for you. Sometimes(always) is better to be dead, than to see one you love death.

Grown familiar doesn't mean you can expect everything. I have a rough idea what I'll do tomorrow, I have a rough idea next week. I can't say for 100% what will happen in any given time period though, I may be extremely certain but never 100%, and it is therefore by definition, unknown.

But, to borrow from Rumsfeld, it is a known unknown. There are a finite number of things you can possibly do tomorrow or next week: everything is not possible. Unlike death, which is an unknown unknown. Literally anything can happen.

Because you're incapable of processing any sense or feeling without a functioning brain - and we can measure if a brain is functioning or not. Even so, I'll take the 100% chance of having senses while alive over the slim chance of experiencing something at all when dead, and then the even slimmer chance on top of that that it's a greater feeling than life.

How do we know the brain isn't just a vector for consciousness and thought? How do we know that it isn't really our spirit that gives us consciousness, and the brain is merely a means of transmitting it until we get to the point where we no longer need it and thus discard it?

I didn't say I wanted death here, all I'm arguing for is not being afraid of it. As it is, I'd take life too, because I'm young and I want to see more of it. However, if I die, so be it.

It's not a generalisation, our sole being for existence is self-preservation, which is avoidance of death. When you're scared of something you never stop and think "Wow, this is scaring me." You react. If you're arachnophobic, and you see a spider, you don't think "I'm scared of that, do something". You just do something. If you're driving and a lorry veers towards you, you don't stop and think about what to do, you instinctively do something to avoid that lorry hitting you and killing you. Just because the fear of death never crosses your mind, that doesn't mean it stops physiological and physical reactions to avoid it don't take place. They do - for everyone. No one can willingly remove their primal reactions, so I don't find it an unfair generalisation for the population.

Then if fear is so primal, how do you explain my inherent lack of it when confronted with death?

How, if you have no way of processing the information? It's like saying if you remove your heart, for all you know something could happen to keep the blood pumping through your body.

Explained earlier. You deal too much with facts, which don't exist as we know them after death. Maybe.

Self-preservation =/= fearing death.
I agree.
Self-preservation = what ever is best for you. Sometimes(always) is better to be dead, than to see one you love death.

That just means you have stronger will to save a loved one than to save yourself. It doesn't mean you're not afraid of it though. The clue is in the name: SELF-preservation. Love, at the end of the day, is but a chemical reaction within the brain - the same as fear. Whichever is dominant is what you will act on.

I'm probably going to regret this but here goes.

How do we know if we've actually died before anyway? You know...past life and all that. And how do we know we haven't had a past life BEFORE that one? Or if we're actually alive now? What if all this...is actually just some weird dream that we're living out?

One day, you fall over and hit your head hard against a stone surface. The impact kills you. As your life fades away, you rise upwards. As you rise through the layers of atmosphere, the world shades out into streaks of green and blue beneath you. Eventually, you break through the fluffy surface of a huge cloud. A giant, glowing figure confronts you.

"Welcome back."

"Am... am I dead? ...are you God?"

"I am." You look around. 'Heaven' was deserted. There was nobody there apart from you and God.

"Where IS everyone?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. All the billions who have died and gone to Heaven, where are they?"

"Ah. Well, they're all here. All right in here." The towering figure leans down and gestures at your chest.

"But... I'm ME."

"And you are everyone. I need to explain... this happens every time."

"Every time of what?!"

"Calm, my child. You are, put simply, every human. Ever."

"...what?"

"You were the first man, and the first woman. You were also the last humans to ever walk on the Earth as it withered and died beneath the fiery ball that the Sun became. You were also the humans that found refuge amongst the stars as your home planet was consumed." God sighed. "Your soul is the only one in existence. Your memory is destroyed after you start each new life. You've interacted with yourself, fallen in love with yourself, killed yourself countless times. All the while your greater consciousness has been learning and storing, building experiences."

"But why?!" you shout. "Why are you doing this? What purpose is there is creating your own sick little dream world?"

"I created the Universe for a reason. You, my son. You were a being with no thought, no nothing. You needed to live."

"No..." you said slowly, as realisation dawned. "You... made this all for me?"

"I created the Universe just for you to learn."

"It's... an incubator."

"Yes." said God, smiling benignly. You slowly began to descend again. "Have a good life."

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

**** me, sleepy now. Beddies bies for me. Ciao.

But, to borrow from Rumsfeld, it is a known unknown. There are a finite number of things you can possibly do tomorrow or next week: everything is not possible. Unlike death, which is an unknown unknown. Literally anything can happen.
But it's most likely nothingness.

How do we know the brain isn't just a vector for consciousness and thought? How do we know that it isn't really our spirit that gives us consciousness, and the brain is merely a means of transmitting it until we get to the point where we no longer need it and thus discard it?

I didn't say I wanted death here, all I'm arguing for is not being afraid of it. As it is, I'd take life too, because I'm young and I want to see more of it. However, if I die, so be it.

Then what would be the need in the brain in the first place? What about a still born baby, has it used its brain to the point where it can discard it?

And if I'm to die, so be it. Doesn't mean I'm not afraid, just accepting of the fact it's inevitable.

Then if fear is so primal, how do you explain my inherent lack of it when confronted with death?

I'm fairly certain you'd dive out the way of a car heading towards you in the road.

Explained earlier. You deal too much with facts, which don't exist as we know them after death. Maybe.

Maybe so. I understand where you're coming from, but it's impossible to comprehend the thought of every law that governs nature breaking down, just like it's impossible to comprehend the thought of nothingness. Occam's razor, it's far more likely that our laws hold true and it's just nothingness, than every single thing we know about our world breaking down. Believing it all carries on afterwards is just like religion, it's a thought system to comfort what we fear and can't understand.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Not really, no. By your logic, when having a gun to your head you'd just run like a headless chicken because it'd be a natural reaction.

How the **** is that my logic? I said we want to preserve our existence, not do something that's likely to encourage our death. By your logic, I'd stand frozen in the middle of the road when faced with a car.

That just means you have stronger will to save a loved one than to save yourself. It doesn't mean you're not afraid of it though. The clue is in the name: SELF-preservation. Love, at the end of the day, is but a chemical reaction within the brain - the same as fear. Whichever is dominant is what you will act on.
Exactly. You could be scared of death, but still choose to save your love ones instead yourself. Hows that self-preservation ? I know thats a sort of selfless act ( even though selfless acts DOES NOT EXIST), but you decided to save someone else, not yourself. Doesn't sound logical to me.

Exactly. You could be scared of death, but still choose to save your love ones instead yourself. Hows that self-preservation ? I know thats a sort of selfless act ( even though selfless acts DOES NOT EXIST), but you decided to save someone else, not yourself. Doesn't sound logical to me.

Read my post again, I already explained the point. Emotions cause urges to commit reactions. Urge to save someone else > urge to save yourself. It doesn't mean self-preservation doesn't exist, it means you had stronger emotions for an alternate reaction. It is possible to feel multiple emotions at once, y'know.

How the **** is that my logic? I said we want to preserve our existence, not do something that's likely to encourage our death. By your logic, I'd stand frozen in the middle of the road when faced with a car.

Well, a an arachnophobe would stay away from a spider, thus every sane person would run away from any situation that would put him/her in any danger.

Read my post again, I already explained the point. Emotions cause urges to commit reactions. Urge to save someone else > urge to save yourself. It doesn't mean self-preservation doesn't exist, it means you had stronger emotions for an alternate reaction. It is possible to feel multiple emotions at once, y'know.
Yea, I know that. Im saying there's stronger feelings/emotions than self-preservation. And self-preservation doesn't always mean to be scared of death.

Well, a an arachnophobe would stay away from a spider, thus every sane person would run away from any situation that would put him/her in any danger.

How short sighted? You can't apply a reaction to one fear and apply it to every single one. You take the best action to solve the immediate fear. Moving away from the spider eases the fear. If you have a gunman who tells you not to move or he'll shoot you, running around isn't going to solve ****. In certain situations people become motionless by fear, yet you'd still jump out the way of a car speeding towards you.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

Yea, I know that. Im saying there's stronger feelings/emotions than self-preservation. And self-preservation doesn't always mean to be scared of death.

I never disagreed with that point. Just because there can be strong emotions, doesn't mean the fear of death doesn't exist, does it? Self preservation by definition means being scared of death.

Self-preservation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - " It is universal among living organisms. In some vertebrates,pain and fear are parts of this mechanism. Pain causes discomfort so that the organism is inclined to stop the pain. Fear causes the organism to seek safety and may cause a release of adrenaline"

If you have a gunman who tells you not to move or he'll shoot you, running around isn't going to solve ****.

Yet how many people react in different ways? Some run, some try to fight back, some stay put... Not everyone reacts in the same way, why do you assume they all feel the same?

I don't like definitions. They are in 100% cases incomplete. Self preservation means to do whats best for you. It can be triggered by fear, I agree. But also you can have that emotion without feeling fear.
Night pal, off to bed.

To summarise, I'm not afraid of the concept of death, I'm evolutionarily afraid of dying. Death is nothingness, it can't hurt me - it's nothing. But every time you consider the concept of nothingness it will always be "Nothingness, what can it feel like." Having to feel it is paradoxical, in some ways I see where GC is coming from more now. It's intriguing to see how such a paradox that must be solved is solved, but that makes me no less scared of dying. I want to prolong my life by as much as humanly possible, I know one day that I will die, I want to extend my time limit of life by as much as possible, since the certainty can wait for any time, life cannot.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Oh, the wiki card. It's like CJACKO's 'simple as that'.

Go dig up any biology textbook and it'll say the same if you dislike wiki, it's 2am and is an easy to find source to showcase elementary biology. GC hit the right lines of the philosophical argument of death itself, I really don't see why I'm essentially debating evolution here.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Yet how many people react in different ways? Some run, some try to fight back, some stay put... Not everyone reacts in the same way, why do you assume they all feel the same?

How did I say they all feel the same? FEAR causes different reactions in different people. The root cause is the same, the reaction is not.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

I don't like definitions. They are in 100% cases incomplete. Self preservation means to do whats best for you. It can be triggered by fear, I agree. But also you can have that emotion without feeling fear.
Night pal, off to bed.

Of course you can, but fear will always cause you to react to preserve your life. I think we agree here?

Go dig up any biology textbook and it'll say the same if you dislike wiki, it's 2am and is an easy to find source to showcase elementary biology. GC hit the right lines of the philosophical argument of death itself, I really don't see why I'm essentially debating evolution here.

Debating evolution? Seriously? El-oh-el.

I hope you have a PHd in Biology and a ton of research to back up your ignorant comments. Unless you do, you're in no position to comment on the pace of scientific developments. Science advances exponentially, once we reach 200, accelerating to 1000 past that becomes relatively easy. Expanding the life expectancy by 20-30 years was one **** of an achievement, but that was a 60% increase in life expectancy. Reaching 200 would be 150%, just a bit of a difference there, how can you acknowledge the possibility of a 150% increase but not living to 1000? That implies we have solved an awful lot of problems to do with regenerative medicine, that is the initial stumbling block in the first place. And he never said everyone will live to 1000, he said THE person who will do it has already been born. As in, just 1 person.

Prolonging death is the ultimate goal for humans, and it's those "crackpots" and "morons" that Cambridge keep churning out that contribute a **** of a lot to it.

You can climb aboard your high horse all you like. I don't need a "PhD" and "research" to tell me that we won't live to be 1000 years old. It's common sense. More fool you if you believe a fringe scientist looking for attention from the scientific community. I see you failed to mention his so-called "theory" was not one published and financed by any reputable scientific journals (like "PLoS Biology" or "Cell"), it was not backed up by anybody at all in the medical profession, it was instead put forward to BBC Comedy Panel Show. Oh yes they are renowned for being at the cutting edge of scientific breakthrough!

Maybe I was stating my case to greyly before. Basically, I have no time whatsoever for complete and utter morons who think because they have a "degree" or a "PhD", than we must take them very seriously indeed, and every word they say has automatic validity. Maybe it's because I myself am a University Student and I sometimes wonder in disbelief how the **** some of these people around me passed the entrance exam.

You are honestly trying to argue with me, and most of the scientific community that this guy; Aubrey de Grey (take a look at him on Google, exactly the kind of guy I'd trust hovering over me with a scalpel), should be taken seriously on his ridiculous theory because he has a PhD, when a therory like this would be laughed down out of the room, down the street and into the next town. To be honest it's not even funny. I do have genuine concern about people like de Grey, they are what damage the credibility of the science community and their crackpot theories can even lead to harming other people who choose to believe them.

Quote about de Grey by Bret Westein (yes he has a PhD, since you seem to value that so much):

"In the end, de Grey, who trained as a computer scientist rather than a biologist, suffers
from coming to biology with an engineering background. He is, it would seem, not used
to working in the shadow of the greatest engineer of all. And so he doesn’t see the irony
of trying to beat evolution at its own game.
De Grey’s other bad analogy is one that an engineering background really should have
immunized him against. De Grey’s claim—logical sounding at first—is that although the
solution to some senescence problems may be a long way off, people alive today might
well live to experience perpetual youth. This is because, so long as the first breakthroughs
come soon, people alive today will live long enough to see the second round of
breakthroughs, and so on, until the toughest senescence causes are finally addressed by
technologies hundreds of years in the future. De Grey calls this process “actuarial escape
velocity.”

Below is the complete critique of de Grey and SENS, which more or less ended this mans short career amongst his peers, however his drivel lives on in the media.
A Brief Critique of SENS Charles V. Mobbs, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Neuroscience and Geriatrics
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
A hoary joke, passed down by medical residents through the ages, pertains to the
therapeutic principles of dermatology: if it’s dry, wet it; if it’s wet, dry it; if it’s cold, heat
it; if it’s hot, cool it; and use steroids. The joke, of course (funny at least to sleepdeprived non-dermatological residents), is that treating symptoms, rather than causes, is
about the most brain-dead therapeutic approach imaginable. Should a patient, dissatisfied
with the progress of his condition, overhear this joke, take it literally, and develop a webbased campaign to promote treating symptoms rather than causes of disease, physicians
would not likely take time away from treating patients to publish a detailed critique of the
joke. Unless, of course, the patient develops a following large enough to land him in the
pages of Technology Review. Then attention must be paid.
So it is with SENS. The SENS strategy to treat symptoms rather than causes of aging has
obvious and numerous flaws, any one of which would doom the strategy to failure;
subject to a limit of 750 words, only a few of these flaws are indicated below.
The conceptual foundation of the SENS approach is that there are seven major categories
of age-related impairments that contribute to senescence, and “there are no more to be
found” (1). This is wrong: even though these categories are sometimes so general as to be
almost meaningless, they still omit many age-related changes that contribute to
senescence, including age-related increases in oxidative damage and changes in gene
expression. Oxidative damage to proteins increases with age (2) and has been shown to
impair function (3). Indeed, the specific activity of many proteins has been shown to
decrease with age, probably due to age-related increases in oxidative damage.
Furthermore, many studies, including high-throughput microarray studies (4), have
demonstrated that the expression of hundreds, possibly thousands, of genes changes with
age. Reversing specific age-related impairments without reversing ubiquitous age-related
changes in protein oxidation and gene expression will not reverse senescence.
The practical rationale for the SENS approach is that correction of the seven forms of
damage can be accomplished “by techniques that… can (with adequate funding) probably
be implemented in mice within a decade or so (1).” However, the major categories of
damage each entail a multitude of specific impairments. Furthermore, it is not known
which of these age-related changes actually predispose to functional impairments and
which may be benign. Therefore SENS would require an impractically large number of
interventions. Finally, even if it were possible in some way to target the vast number of
changes that occur during aging, at the moment, and indeed for the foreseeable future, the
available technologies do not allow even one such modification to be carried out, much
less the vast number necessary. The fundamental flaws of the SENS approach may be illustrated by an example. SENS is
so simple as to be equally applicable to any disease: say, “Strategies to Engineer
Negligible Diabetes”. Like aging, untreated Type I diabetes is associated with a vast
number of impairments, including many in categories enumerated by SENS: cell loss and
atrophy, mitochondrial abnormalities, course AGE-mediated extracellular crosslinking,
and, of course, death. To treat Type I diabetes by a SENS-like approach of treating
symptoms (e.g., using stem cells and growth factors to increase muscle volume and repair
diabetic neuropathy) would be fatal. Instead, Type I diabetes is successfully treated by
targeting the cause of the disease: replacing the missing insulin. Even better would be to
replace the destroyed pancreatic beta cells with similar cells resistant to autoimmune
destruction. Insulin therapy was developed, and beta cell replacement will be developed,
not through the engineering-like approach advocated by SENS, but through basic
research disdained by SENS. Even more damning, though, is that it has not yet been
possible to develop a practical way to replace even this single cell type (5). The technical
challenges entailed by SENS, including whole-body delivery of genes for somatic gene
therapy, dwarf those posed by simple replacement of a single endocrine cell type.
Multiply so-far unresolved problems posed by a single simple disease, by the vast
number of age-related changes enumerated by SENS and the age-related changes not
enumerated by SENS, and it is clear why SENS is not taken seriously.
References
1. A. De Grey. (2005a). http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/just7.htm
2. K. B. Beckman, B. N. Ames, Physiol Rev 78, 547 (Apr, 1998).
3. V. Dulic, A. Gafni, Mech Ageing Dev 40, 289 (1987).
4. C. K. Lee, D. B. Allison, J. Brand, R. Weindruch, T. A. Prolla, Proc Natl Acad
Sci U S A 99, 14988 (Nov 12, 2002).
5. H. S. Jun, J. W. Yoon, Curr Gene Ther 5, 249 (Apr, 2005).

Last edited: