Scholes blasts England

dasty

Reaction score
Paul Scholes has lambasted the England national team, insisting it is "laughable" to even consider them contenders for World Cups because many of the squad are only playing to "get to a top club".

Scholes earned 66 caps for England, but he retired from the international scene seven years before he quitting club football with Manchester United, a decision largely put down to the fact he was often shunted out to the left side of a diamond to accommodate Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard. Scholes never offered any complaints at the time of his exit, merely stating that he wanted to prolong his club career whilst spending more time with his family. However, he has now issued an alarming critique of the England setup, insisting they will never win anything with their current mentality.

"Playing on the left was never a problem. I played on the left for United I don't know how many times," Scholes said. "I just got fed up. When you are going to a team, you want to be part of a team and play well, but there are individuals who are after personal glory.

"I always felt when I first started with England that players - especially players at clubs like your Aston Villas - try to use England as a way to get to a top club. You feel, are they there for the right reason?

"I think they are very selfish people. They are all there to get their bit of glory, their bit of headlines, to think 'I will get a move from this'. I think that is the biggest problem with English players."

Scholes even shed light on the opinions of his Manchester United colleagues, revealing they are all losing their patience with certain individuals in Fabio Capello's squad.

"It was a frustration for us United lads. When there is a simple pass of ten yards, they might try and smack it 80 yards. They will do things to try and get themselves noticed.

"If you look at the Spain team now, they all seem to play for each other. There isn't one of them who would try to do something in a game that doesn't suit the team, and that could happen over here. If you look through our teams, there are loads of technically brilliant players but for some reason when we go on to the international scene, we don't look like that.

"We're the favourites every time and we probably will be next time. I think it is quite laughable. It is just the mentality of English people, we think we are going to win everything."
Source: Paul Scholes hits out at 'selfish' England players - ESPN Soccernet

Harsh but true.

Even now I still think Scholes would do a job for England.

He is such an integral part of how Man U play but you hardly ever hear his name in the headlines. It will always be Hernandez or Rooney but you can bet anything that Scholes played a part in something

Legend. He's suddenly become very outspoken since his retirement, but nothing he's said has been short of the truth.

He's suddenly become very outspoken since his retirement, but nothing he's said has been short of the truth.

Was going to the say the same, seems to have an opinion on everything.

Very well said Scholesy, Couldnt put it better myself. Everyone knows the the squad dont play together very well (famously gerrard and lampard).
As much as I agree with him I dont agree with the point on our players being technically good or even better because we are nowhere near as technically good as the likes of spain, holland etc... This is built up from grass roots level where countries such as them focus on technique rather than competition and as long as we as a nation focus on the later at a younger age we will NEVER be as good.

There are far more problems than that though, like (as mentioned above) not really being that good technically. More ego generally as well than specificallly selfishness.

Most of it's true, but...

Scholes even shed light on the opinions of his Manchester United colleagues, revealing they are all losing their patience with certain individuals in Fabio Capello's squad.

GINGAAAA NINJAAAA ATAAAACKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, Scholes is 100% correct. If we played as a team, rather than a squad of 11 individuals, we may do better in tournaments. Spain do it, Germany do it to the point of being a machine, even Brazil do it, with some of the most technically gifted footballers on the planet.

It's true, many players try to play for their own cause, and it's not just the players who ensure we don't get success; it is also the 'fans'.

Some of the so-called supporters never cheer for their team, and tell the team to get it forward quickly, with no patience when they do bad either.

Some of them hold grudges against players, for example a Millwall fan may boo all the West Ham players in the team, and some just do it because they think they are experts.

Many of them use watching England (and booing them) as a main outlet for their frustration, see Carra's autobiography - he covers it very well!

Always speaks 100% truth IMO. Legend of the game and i think he would make an excellent manager in the near future .

Very much spot on. Haven't seen England playing as a team. Should have told this in the dressing room as it would have made difference or at least would have been more useful than this..

It's true, many players try to play for their own cause, and it's not just the players who ensure we don't get success; it is also the 'fans'.

Some of the so-called supporters never cheer for their team, and tell the team to get it forward quickly, with no patience when they do bad either.

Some of them hold grudges against players, for example a Millwall fan may boo all the West Ham players in the team, and some just do it because they think they are experts.

Many of them use watching England (and booing them) as a main outlet for their frustration, see Carra's autobiography - he covers it very well!
Oh, and see Gareth Barry (when he was at Aston Villa) for a very good example.

In my opinion, he has only gone to a 'top' club and been linked with us because he has a very good agent, is overrated/takes the limelight/is selfish and played/plays regularly for England.

I don't rate him, and I doubt I will will do.

Always speaks 100% truth IMO. Legend of the game and i think he would make an excellent manager in the near future .

Would certainly instill a lot of professionalism into the players. I definately still miss Scholesy in an England shirt.

I'm a massive Paul Scholes fan (yes, he scoredtwice against Scotland at Hapden in 99, but I'll forgice him) because he always did his job very well and extremely efficiently, but never moaned when he didn't get all the plaudits, or the awards or the headlines. He got on with it, and I love him for that.

This is why I never believe all the hype the media build up around England before every major tournament. Every two year, the media always scream about how this is their year, and their hopes get predictably dashed. This is probably part of the reason why, they aren't a unit. As StuW said, that's why Spain and Germany did so well, and England didn't. France did poor as well, they were the same.

Brought up a brilliant point about English ex players/players thinking 70 yard cross balls to the wing is a 'good pass' its not a good pass.

It's long ball to a midget winger who normally gets outjumped/even if he wins the header the ball goes out of play...

People call those sort of 50 yard cross pitch 'pings' as top passes when they're not...It's long ball with the hope the defender slips and it bounces behind.

Saying that Scholesy, Ferdinand is as guilty as JT in trying that,

I don't have enough muscle in my fingers to type out all the problems with English football/National team and the way everyone wants them to play/how they play..
Beckenbauer summed it up well at the last WC: ''England play kick and run football''.

So true Franz, so so true.

Annoys me so much, keep it on the floor and if you have to lift it off the floor make sure its to play a lobbed through ball not a hit and hope-it-will-go-behind ball...

'Tiredness', 'we try our best'...No excuses England. WINTER BREAK...Not that much of a difference so do not spin that rubbish, plenty of other Prem players played in the WC and did fine.

Facts are Capello got his system wrong and he has the mentality of 'we get them fit and let them play 4-4-2', no Capello how about you do your job that the FA pay you millions of pounds a year to do and you put in a philosophy and COACH the players to keep it on the floor and stop kicking it long...

STUART PEARCE- *CKING USELESS. Sack him now, has never won a game with great style, clearly the wrong coach to coach our youngsters, promote the U-17 coach...The one who wins things. He's had long enough and has proved to be a tired old idiot who can't coach players into simple offensive systems, he tells Smalling/P. Jones to essentially be the playmakers...

Oh my days, give me 1 week with the England squad I would have them in shape and I'd do it for free.

#englandneedtosackupandfacefacts

Last edited:
I always felt when I first started with England that players - especially players at clubs like your Aston Villas - try to use England as a way to get to a top club.

He's talking about Ashley Young there...

Brought up a brilliant point about English ex players/players thinking 70 yard cross balls to the wing is a 'good pass' its not a good pass.

It's long ball to a midget winger who normally gets outjumped/even if he wins the header the ball goes out of play...

People call those sort of 50 yard cross pitch 'pings' as top passes when they're not...It's long ball with the hope the defender slips and it bounces behind.

Saying that Scholesy, Ferdinand is as guilty as JT in trying that,

I don't have enough muscle in my fingers to type out all the problems with English football/National team and the way everyone wants them to play/how they play..
Beckenbauer summed it up well at the last WC: ''England play kick and run football''.

So true Franz, so so true.

Annoys me so much, keep it on the floor and if you have to lift it off the floor make sure its to play a lobbed through ball not a hit and hope-it-will-go-behind ball...

'Tiredness', 'we try our best'...No excuses England. WINTER BREAK...Not that much of a difference so do not spin that rubbish, plenty of other Prem players played in the WC and did fine.

Facts are Capello got his system wrong and he has the mentality of 'we get them fit and let them play 4-4-2', no Capello how about you do your job that the FA pay you millions of pounds a year to do and you put in a philosophy and COACH the players to keep it on the floor and stop kicking it long...

STUART PEARCE- *CKING USELESS. Sack him now, has never won a game with great style, clearly the wrong coach to coach our youngsters, promote the U-17 coach...The one who wins things. He's had long enough and has proved to be a tired old idiot who can't coach players into simple offensive systems, he tells Smalling/P. Jones to essentially be the playmakers...

Oh my days, give me 1 week with the England squad I would have them in shape and I'd do it for free.

#englandneedtosackupandfacefacts

In fairness Scholesy knew when to make those passes, and he didnt miss, unlike Gerrard