Scholes blasts England

I like the idea that Stevie G has to do a stereotyped Indian dance draped in blingin' jewellery before every pass over 20 yards.

I think there's a grain of truth in both of these statements. I think he USED to play the 'hollywood' ball each time, without thinking. Now he's matured and knows when and when not to play them. Now when he plays them, successful or not, they're generally what's required.

Yep. Maybe not Gerrard, he might still have a role to play.

Again, little unfair. He'd be brilliant at his job if he was asked to do the one he was at club level, but he's often badly used (World Cup quallys, for example) and he feels that he needs to contribute more and overcomplicates things.

But thats my gripe, he doesn't need to play the star, ok what he may be asked to do is somewhat unfashionable compared to his liverpool role, but it's not about him its about the team. And here is where Scholes is bang on again.

But thats my gripe, he doesn't need to play the star, ok what he may be asked to do is somewhat unfashionable compared to his liverpool role, but it's not about him its about the team. And here is where Scholes is bang on again.

And maybe that's his downfall. I don't think it's about him 'being the star' as such, I think he's just not suited to a position that isn't the one where you have to play the star, if you catch my meaning. Scholes is right in general though.

Gerrard isn't really the best left winger in the world tbh. Might as-well play him in the Heskey role. Why he'd be used as a left-winger is beyond me, he doesn't have the acceleration, he doesn't beat his man often, he has no agility, his crossing isn't even that great. Even when he's played in the centre, he's used in the wrong role.

And maybe that's his downfall. I don't think it's about him 'being the star' as such, I think he's just not suited to a position that isn't the one where you have to play the star, if you catch my meaning. Scholes is right in general though.

Yeah im not trying to say hes all about the glory in a bad day, but you seem to understand what I'm saying, he needs to able to be happy with being quietly effective

Gerrard isn't really the best left winger in the world tbh. Might as-well play him in the Heskey role. Why he'd be used as a left-winger is beyond me, he doesn't have the acceleration, he doesn't beat his man often, he has no agility, his crossing isn't even that great. Even when he's played in the centre, he's used in the wrong role.

Because every England manager has insisted for so long in playing both Lampard and gerrard in the centre when its been obvious for their whole international careers it wasn't going to work; rather than forcing them to compete and be in the best form in order to get selected, which frankly would have benefited both their club and country.

not a left winger, but a left mid slightly tucked, should be using short accurate passes and off the ball movement, slide rule passes to find men moving in channels, while Cole overlaps him

Not that he should be use there mind. Him and Lampard should have spent the last decade fighting for the same spot

Last edited:
Yeah im not trying to say hes all about the glory in a bad day, but you seem to understand what I'm saying, he needs to able to be happy with being quietly effective

I suppose, but in every team you need the flair player. If you're played in Gerrard's Liverpool role, being quietly effective wouldn't be much use. You need to be there, playing the key passes. Still, I think his time for England has passed (not to mention Rooney could be playing there anyway) and we should be moving on.

I suppose, but in every team you need the flair player. If you're played in Gerrard's Liverpool role, being quietly effective wouldn't be much use. You need to be there, playing the key passes. Still, I think his time for England has passed (not to mention Rooney could be playing there anyway) and we should be moving on.

Parker, Wilshere, Rooney
Rodwell, Thudd, Young

not a left winger, but a left mid slightly tucked, should be using short accurate passes and off the ball movement, slide rule passes to find men moving in channels, while Cole overlaps him

Not that he should be use there mind. Him and Lampard should have spent the last decade fighting for the same spot

Absolutely. ****** me off when he's used on the left, just for the fact it would never work. Even when he's used there everyone expects him to play like he does for Liverpool (incidentally, in his best role).

Surely Young would be more use on the left? Suppose we're rather devoid of talent 'in the hole' though.

Young would play wide when Rooney is playing, then moving inside when he is Absent, or right up front.

they're pretty average for liverpool too, used to drive Rafa insane. but its his thinking, he hits them when he just doesnt need to

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

I'd drop both. Parker, Wilshere, Rooney. Understudied by Rodwell, Thudd, Young

One of the reasons Rafa pushed him up behind Torres rather than stick him in the middle if I recall? As he was less likely to loose the ball? Something like that anyway.

One of the reasons Rafa pushed him up behind Torres rather than stick him in the middle if I recall? As he was less likely to loose the ball? Something like that anyway.

Exactly that reason. His tendency to hit the killer pass each time didnt effect the team build up as much from AMC

Exactly that reason. His tendency to hit the killer pass each time didnt effect the team build up as much from AMC

I thought that was it, and also if he did try and hit that killer pass and give it away, it was less likely to hurt us.
I'm pretty sure Gerrard has played his best for England when played at AMC? [also, one of my gripes with Charlie Adam, his tendency to try the 80 yard 'ping' really winds me up - off topic though]

I thought that was it, and also if he did try and hit that killer pass and give it away, it was less likely to hurt us.
I'm pretty sure Gerrard has played his best for England when played at AMC? [also, one of my gripes with Charlie Adam, his tendency to try the 80 yard 'ping' really winds me up - off topic though]

We occaisonally used him at AMC, but was so often out wide, where the issues we've been discussing arose. Agreed with Godcubed that his England time may have passed him, partly because fitness issues may force him to