Scientists warn of 'superstorm' heading for California

Global Warming is a natural process of the world, its effects are being worsened by human activity, but in all seriousness, unlucky cali-forn-i-a.

Plus, I'll go to California and show them my big one.

This better not effect my holiday to Florida in April or I will be ******!

Can you prove that? No. Your opinion is not factual. I don't necessarily support global warming, but we'd be foolish to ignore it.

I'm pretty sure there is proof that the earth naturally heats up and cools down (something to do with the rotation of the earth around the sun) so the possibility of "global warming" being natural is partially factual and partially a theory, whereas global warming is purely a theory.

I personally am just sick of cutting emissions and Prius' being rammed down our throat..

Can you prove that? No. Your opinion is not factual. I don't necessarily support global warming, but we'd be foolish to ignore it.

Someone sounds like an angry man. Take it you're not getting any?

Yeah, truely sick.

I take back my immature comment and will write something serious (which will obviously make a massive differance considering the devastation the storm will cause)

Oh god, this is absolutely tragic.

Detecting sarcasm not your forté I see?

There is scientific evidence that global warming is/isn't happening, and evidence that it is/isn't us causing it. It is just a matter of who's evidence you go with.

Just read some of this... http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

I agree that it is happening, and that we contribute to it, but only a small amount.

This better not effect my holiday to Florida in April or I will be ******!

I'm pretty sure there is proof that the earth naturally heats up and cools down (something to do with the rotation of the earth around the sun) so the possibility of "global warming" being natural is partially factual and partially a theory, whereas global warming is purely a theory.

I personally am just sick of cutting emissions and Prius' being rammed down our throat..

Yes, but that was a long time a go, there's statistical and geological evidence to prove that the Earth's atmosphere is warming up now, and there's proof that it warmed up thousands of years ago. No one is dying that climate change is happening, and has happened, and will happen again, but there's no way to separate the theory behind why the climate changed then and why it's happening now. Until we can get a clear picture of exactly why the Earth did and is changing climate, it's false to say global warming is just a myth. It's one of the great scientific challenges of our generation to solve this problem.

The Sun can get brighter and release more energy causing us to heat up, among other reasons why we might warm up. But we have no way to prove the reasoning why we are warming up right now. I don't really believe global warming right now, but I believe it would be ignorant of us and a scientific failing if we just assume, "this has happened before, it must be the same reason now" the risks of us doing that are far greater than the benefits. I mean, how much of an impact does it really have on our lives to turn the computer off, take the TV off standby, turn lights off and turn the fire off? Very little. If in a few decades cataclysmic events hit the Earth, which we had the chance to stop, I'm sure many people would be regretting not putting the extra effort in.

I also believe that humanity advances best in the face of adversity. Science is putting a great effort into investigating this problem, creating new technologies and others already created. Even things like the Prius, the Science behind things like regenerative braking is pretty smart, and that's just the beginning of the advancement. If global warming and fossil fuel shortage never happened, we'd be falling behind this development. I mean, we're even beginning to create energy by Nuclear Fission on a massive scale, in the lab!

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Someone sounds like an angry man. Take it you're not getting any?

I just dislike people acting like mini-scientists and that they know everything, stating their opinion as fact.

There is scientific evidence that global warming is/isn't happening, and evidence that it is/isn't us causing it. It is just a matter of who's evidence you go with.

Just read some of this... http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

I agree that it is happening, and that we contribute to it, but only a small amount.

Explained this in my last post, but so what if it happened before? I'm fully aware of that fact, and it's not evidence at all, some may say it's the opposite. Some analogies: We know Tim Cahill usually scores goals with his head, when you hear he scored in a game do we automatically assume it was with his head? No, because there's other possibilities. The majority of Chocolate is milk, if someone offers you some, do you assume it's milk, but what if you get white/dark? I could go on, you get the point.

The majority of Chocolate is milk, if someone offers you some, do you assume it's milk, but what if you get white/dark? I could go on, you get the point.

So we've gone from talking about a natural disaster and global warming to talking about milk. Somewhat shows FM Base has become nowadays.

Explained this in my last post, but so what if it happened before? I'm fully aware of that fact, and it's not evidence at all, some may say it's the opposite. Some analogies: We know Tim Cahill usually scores goals with his head, when you hear he scored in a game do we automatically assume it was with his head? No, because there's other possibilities. The majority of Chocolate is milk, if someone offers you some, do you assume it's milk, but what if you get white/dark? I could go on, you get the point.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying, but there's a massive difference between Tim Cahill, chocolate, and the Earth's natural cycles, so to use that as an argument is really ridiculous.

Explained this in my last post, but so what if it happened before? I'm fully aware of that fact, and it's not evidence at all, some may say it's the opposite. Some analogies: We know Tim Cahill usually scores goals with his head, when you hear he scored in a game do we automatically assume it was with his head? No, because there's other possibilities. The majority of Chocolate is milk, if someone offers you some, do you assume it's milk, but what if you get white/dark? I could go on, you get the point.

I get what you're saying, but there's a massive difference between Tim Cahill, chocolate, and the Earth's natural cycles, so to use that as an argument is really ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

No, there's not. It all comes down to numerous possibilities causing the same outcome. It's irrelevant what I used as an example.

Yes, I am aware of the other possibilities, however, if something happens time and time again, then the odds on it happening are larger than something new happening.

So, i am going to contradict your argument by saying..

-Take the fact that Tim Cahill scores more goals with his head than his feet; although there is a chance he will score with his feet, the odds on him scoring with his head are greater.

Then, change it to Earth terms.

-Take the fact that Earth has always warmed up due to natural cycle, instead of being forced by humans; although there is a chance that humans have caused global warming, the odds on it being Earth's natural cycle are greater...

Yes, I am aware of the other possibilities, however, if something happens time and time again, then the odds on it happening are larger than something new happening.

So, i am going to contradict your argument by saying..

-Take the fact that Tim Cahill scores more goals with his head than his feet; although there is a chance he will score with his feet, the odds on him scoring with his head are greater.

Then, change it to Earth terms.

-Take the fact that Earth has always warmed up due to natural cycle, instead of being forced by humans; although there is a chance that humans have caused global warming, the odds on it being Earth's natural cycle are greater...

I don't care if it's a 1/10000 chance of it being human causation.

Let me draw you a table, benefits and drawbacks based on the fact we do something about our energy emissions.

Global Warming is happening Is not happening
Benefits We did something to stop it and advanced! We had to stop wasting power.

Drawbacks Nothing major again. The world as we know it changes, cataclysmic events, HUGE social, economic and health problems.

Couldn't fit the last drawback in. So, you're saying that for the sake of switching your lights off, and using less electricity, you'd rather lay waste to our planet? No, I can't be the only one that sees that we might as well do SOMETHING, because the potential event if we don't, no matter how small that probability is, would be completely devastating. And as I already said, humanity advances best in the face of adversity. Our technologies are and will accelerate faster to try and avoid this threat. I've already said multiple times I don't even believe in global warming, but I also won't assume I'm right before Science proves and I am. And, at the end of the day, if we are right, the only gain we get is being able to say "I told you so".

I must admit, I don't go out of my way on an environmental crusade, I'm far more interested in the science behind the theories and the potential scientific advances that become.

I don't care if it's a 1/10000 chance of it being human causation.

Let me draw you a table, benefits and drawbacks based on the fact we do something about our energy emissions.

Global Warming is happening Is not happening
Benefits We did something to stop it and advanced! We had to stop wasting power.

Drawbacks Nothing major again. The world as we know it changes, cataclysmic events, HUGE social, economic and health problems.

Couldn't fit the last drawback in. So, you're saying that for the sake of switching your lights off, and using less electricity, you'd rather lay waste to our planet? No, I can't be the only one that sees that we might as well do SOMETHING, because the potential event if we don't, no matter how small that probability is, would be completely devastating. And as I already said, humanity advances best in the face of adversity. Our technologies are and will accelerate faster to try and avoid this threat. I've already said multiple times I don't even believe in global warming, but I also won't assume I'm right before Science proves and I am. And, at the end of the day, if we are right, the only gain we get is being able to say "I told you so".

I must admit, I don't go out of my way on an environmental crusade, I'm far more interested in the science behind the theories and the potential scientific advances that become.

I actually agree with you there, I'm all for saving electricity, i recycle, i do my bit, i probably just do as much as you do to 'help the planet', i also don't believe in global warming, but i do my bit just in case it is right.

As i said before, it's just a matter of who's theories you agree with, i don't agree with some of the global warming theories, just like some people disagree with Einstein's theory of gravity, and other people disagree with the theory of evolution.

Anyway, we might be going a bit off topic XD

I actually agree with you there, I'm all for saving electricity, i recycle, i do my bit, i probably just do as much as you do to 'help the planet', i also don't believe in global warming, but i do my bit just in case it is right.

As i said before, it's just a matter of who's theories you agree with, i don't agree with some of the global warming theories, just like some people disagree with Einstein's theory of gravity, and other people disagree with the theory of evolution.

Anyway, we might be going a bit off topic XD

Possibly, but it's an interesting debate anyway :)

And it's Newton's theory of gravity. (6)

Yes, but that was a long time a go, there's statistical and geological evidence to prove that the Earth's atmosphere is warming up now, and there's proof that it warmed up thousands of years ago. No one is dying that climate change is happening, and has happened, and will happen again, but there's no way to separate the theory behind why the climate changed then and why it's happening now. Until we can get a clear picture of exactly why the Earth did and is changing climate, it's false to say global warming is just a myth. It's one of the great scientific challenges of our generation to solve this problem.

The Sun can get brighter and release more energy causing us to heat up, among other reasons why we might warm up. But we have no way to prove the reasoning why we are warming up right now. I don't really believe global warming right now, but I believe it would be ignorant of us and a scientific failing if we just assume, "this has happened before, it must be the same reason now" the risks of us doing that are far greater than the benefits. I mean, how much of an impact does it really have on our lives to turn the computer off, take the TV off standby, turn lights off and turn the fire off? Very little. If in a few decades cataclysmic events hit the Earth, which we had the chance to stop, I'm sure many people would be regretting not putting the extra effort in.

I also believe that humanity advances best in the face of adversity. Science is putting a great effort into investigating this problem, creating new technologies and others already created. Even things like the Prius, the Science behind things like regenerative braking is pretty smart, and that's just the beginning of the advancement. If global warming and fossil fuel shortage never happened, we'd be falling behind this development. I mean, we're even beginning to create energy by Nuclear Fission on a massive scale, in the lab!

I'll be honest with you, I don't really care that much, I said what I said because you seemed to purely dismiss the fact that the earth could naturally create the effect of global warming, I in no way wish to partake in a debate on the subject as I find it really, really boring.

However I did notice somebody has been watching The Day the Earth Stood Still ;) Terrible, terrible film (Although Keanu Reeves is a legend).

I'll be honest with you, I don't really care that much, I said what I said because you seemed to purely dismiss the fact that the earth could naturally create the effect of global warming, I in no way wish to partake in a debate on the subject as I find it really, really boring.

However I did notice somebody has been watching The Day the Earth Stood Still ;) Terrible, terrible film (Although Keanu Reeves is a legend).

Never seen it. Looked a terrible film. XD And I can get really carried away with arguing sometimes. (A)

hus this *** thats predicted that the world gna end next year ?