Shawcross 'need not fear Arsenal'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was accidental, but he will get some stick from the fans, it is to be expected.

Let's not forget the deplorable actions of Wenger and Ramsay after the incident though, Shawcross tried to apologise but they acted like little kids.

Shawcross will be fine.

"They" - Ramsey didn't say anything, Wenger was naturally angry after the game and made a comment that it was reckless and dangerous, and got annoyed when Pulis tried to suggest Wenger was making a meal of it.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

****** ****, I dont think it was anyones fault tbh, Ramsey gets there first to a ball that Shawcross was favourite for and closest to, he didnt catch him that high up, it was above the ankle, things like this happen all the time, and Ramsey was only injured because his ankle was planted firmly in the ground when Shawcross hit him.

It wasn't just a mistimed tackle CJ. It was dangeorus, he went in with an outrageous amount of force, and as much as I hate to bring this up, he was clearly following his instructions in that Stoke went out to rough us up, "play to their strengths" whatever you want to call it. He's not even looking at the ball when he goes in, and he goes off crying and having potentially ruined a brilliant player's footballing future and he gets a whole load of sympathy.

"They" - Ramsey didn't say anything, Wenger was naturally angry after the game and made a comment that it was reckless and dangerous, and got annoyed when Pulis tried to suggest Wenger was making a meal of it.

There was some furore after the incident as Ramsay tried to call Ramsay and apologise but was repeatedly snubbed by Ramsay and Wenger.

I will never condone the injury which Shawcross caused but he was clearly distraught by what he had done and the least Ramsay and Wenger could have done was accept his apology.

No player (I hope) intentionally tries to break someone's leg, but it's not like he slipped and Ramsey ran into him.. He kicked him!

Of course he kicked him. The idea of football is to kick the ball. If someone is late in kicking the ball, which is easily done, then a player is going to be kicked. That's why we have things such as fouls.

Some people speak as though they've never played football in their life. The leg-break was desperately unlucky. There was no malice in the tackle and no intention. All there was, was a fraction of a second difference in the speed of the two players. It happened and it will happen again. With football being a contact sport these accidents happen.

Arsenal fans who slate shawcross for it would probably defend their own player had it happened the other way around. Tinted spectacles. (I'm talking to you Joss.)

It wasn't just a mistimed tackle CJ. It was dangeorus, he went in with an outrageous amount of force, and as much as I hate to bring this up, he was clearly following his instructions in that Stoke went out to rough us up, "play to their strengths" whatever you want to call it. He's not even looking at the ball when he goes in, and he goes off crying and having potentially ruined a brilliant player's footballing future and he gets a whole load of sympathy.

What do you expect, he's a centre back, i'm a defender and your taught to go in hard when you tackle, to win the ball and make sure you dont get hurt yourself. I understand where your coming from as I would be the same if it had happened to one of our players, but as im looking at it from an outside view it is obviously accidental and very unfortunate for Ramsey as it would never have happened if his leg was not planted.

Last edited:
No player (I hope) intentionally tries to break someone's leg, but it's not like he slipped and Ramsey ran into him.. He kicked him!

Well if you think he deserves boo'ing for an unfortunate series events then okay, think it is a bit of a joke myself though. Don't reckon it will affect his confidence too much anyway,

Ramsey will be back to normal soon anyway when we finally get a fixture that isn't postponed.

Should keep him for a bit longer than January too, for a little longer I think.

On the subject of the tackle, I think it was unlucky. Things like that happen in football.

What do you expect, he's a centre back, i'm a defender and your taught to go in hard when you tackle, to win the ball and make sure you dont get hurt yourself. I understand where your coming from as I would be the same if it had happened to one of our players, but as im looking at it from an outside view it is obviously accidental and very unfortunate for Ramsey as it would never have happened if his leg was not planted.

It was accidental, but preventable. He went in high and swung his leg. why do that going into a tackle?

There was some furore after the incident as Ramsay tried to call Ramsay and apologise but was repeatedly snubbed by Ramsay and Wenger.

I will never condone the injury which Shawcross caused but he was clearly distraught by what he had done and the least Ramsay and Wenger could have done was accept his apology.

Wenger said that the challenge was "unacceptable", Pulis said he could keep his opinions to himself, that's what I call not showing respect. Where are you getting this stuff about how Wenger and Ramsey refused to let SC apologise? They both were naturally upset about it and about alot of the reaction SC got in support of him. So he should be distraught. he might have ruined someone's career through being reckless and dangerous.

Of course he kicked him. The idea of football is to kick the ball. If someone is late in kicking the ball, which is easily done, then a player is going to be kicked. That's why we have things such as fouls.

Some people speak as though they've never played football in their life. The leg-break was desperately unlucky. There was no malice in the tackle and no intention. All there was, was a fraction of a second difference in the speed of the two players. It happened and it will happen again. With football being a contact sport these accidents happen.

Arsenal fans who slate shawcross for it would probably defend their own player had it happened the other way around. Tinted spectacles. (I'm talking to you Joss.)

Exactly. The idea is to kick the ball, not to kick two bones out of place in someone's leg. Fouls do happen in football, and they're punished, like that one rightly was. But being kicked a little is different to being kicked with so much force that you break your leg. I'd lke to think that if an Arsenal player made that challenge, Wenger would go out and apologise as the club, and say there was no intent in it, which Pulis didn't do as I mentioned before. I also think that if that happened, I wouldn't try and deny that it wasn't his fault. I never said Wilshere's tackle earlier on wasn't his fault and it's all "part of football", I just denied that he tried to break Zigic's leg. Who knows, maybe I do have tinted specs on, maybe you would too, hopefully it won't happen though.

Going in hard is different to breaking someone's leg. He's on the halfway line for crying out loud, why is there any need to go in with that amount of force? It wasn't a 50/50 tackle as people are suggesting, or Ramsey would be going into the challenge too, but he didn't, hence the planted leg. I don't care if he meant to do it or not, the fact is it happened, and it was a dangerous challenge. Stop talking about it being a hard tackle ffs, it's far more than just that.

Tackling is a skill, and he obviously got it majorly wrong there.

It was accidental, but preventable. He went in high and swung his leg. why do that going into a tackle?

To win the ******* ball?

Ever played football before? and it wasn't that high at all, just unlucky.

To win the ******* ball?

I would hate to play football against you if that's how you tackle.

Just swing a leg as hard as you can and hope to come away with the ball. Hope you close your eyes and look away as you do it too. You're sure you don't go to big sam's training centre of bad tackling?

Just swing a leg as hard as you can and hope to come away with the ball. Hope you close your eyes and look away as you do it too. You're sure you don't go to big sam's training centre of bad tackling?
thats not what shawcross did at all. Are you Arsene Wenger? the tackle was slight clumsy, but 99/100 nothing happens. this time ramsey was diving in, so the leg was planted. unlucky, but a horrible injury.

Well, in general, if you don't swing your leg, you have no movement and cannot win the ball.

Get over yourself, you clearly dont play football or are one of those *****'s who bottle out of a tackle.

thats not what shawcross did at all. Are you Arsene Wenger? the tackle was slight clumsy, but 99/100 nothing happens. this time ramsey was diving in, so the leg was planted. unlucky, but a horrible injury.

I didn't say he did do that. Someone else asked why he would swing his leg like that, and CJ said he does it to win the ball. Look at the video, he isn't even looking for crying out loud, I'm not saying it's intentional, i'm saying the force he went into the tackle with meant he was always going to hurt someone.

Ramsey wasn't diving in, i'm sure that's a typo but that doesn't give Shawcross an excuse to throw himself at Ramsey like that.

Stop making me out to be the bad guy for slating that challenge, someone said he's broken three players' legs and yet still everyone sympathises with him, it's absolute bollocks.

I'm not going to boo him, as I don't do that but I can't blame anyone that does.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Well, in general, if you don't swing your leg, you have no movement and cannot win the ball.

Get over yourself, you clearly dont play football or are one of those *****'s who bottle out of a tackle.

****. Right. Off. CJ

There's a difference between moving your leg and taking the ball, and swinging your leg (as whoever it was suggested) wildly and breaking someone's leg. Stop taking things out of context. It's not unlucky, it's careless.

I didn't say he did do that. Someone else asked why he would swing his leg like that, and CJ said he does it to win the ball. Look at the video, he isn't even looking for crying out loud, I'm not saying it's intentional, i'm saying the force he went into the tackle with meant he was always going to hurt someone.

Ramsey wasn't diving in, i'm sure that's a typo but that doesn't give Shawcross an excuse to throw himself at Ramsey like that.

Stop making me out to be the bad guy for slating that challenge, someone said he's broken three players' legs and yet still everyone sympathises with him, it's absolute bollocks.

I'm not going to boo him, as I don't do that but I can't blame anyone that does.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

****. Right. Off. CJ

There's a difference between moving your leg and taking the ball, and swinging your leg (as whoever it was suggested) wildly and breaking someone's leg. Stop taking things out of context. It's not unlucky, it's careless.
i sympathise with him becuase people make him out to be some villian whens hes not. ive seen on the other tackles that resulted in a leg break, he doesnt go in with any less force than someone like vidic would. just bad luck, he is a big strong lad, and in this game with the speed its played all it takes is a bit of bad luck, or slight mistiming and you have an injury

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

right this is getting heated so everyone take a deep breath before writing

i sympathise with him becuase people make him out to be some villian whens hes not. ive seen on the other tackles that resulted in a leg break, he doesnt go in with any less force than someone like vidic would. just bad luck, he is a big strong lad, and in this game with the speed its played all it takes is a bit of bad luck, or slight mistiming and you have an injury

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

right this is getting heated so everyone take a deep breath before writing

I really object to saying it's "bad luck". He didn't just mistime it, and it wasn't just a "I'll let him know I'm here" tackle, it was wild and bound to happen when you tackle like that on the halfway line.

I really object to saying it's "bad luck". He didn't just mistime it, and it wasn't just a "I'll let him know I'm here" tackle, it was wild and bound to happen when you tackle like that on the halfway line.
it was a 50 50 ball at pace that he and ramsey had every right to go for, ramsey beat him to it. but his leg was planted = leg break

He will get booed at the start, and he quite rightly will deserve it. The odd fan will continue to boo him but I think the majoity will just focus on backing us.

As for the tackle, it wasn't intentional to break Rambo's leg (at least I hope it wasn't) but it was very, very reckless.

To win the ******* ball?

Yes I have played football before, and know that you do not have to swing your leg to win a tackle. He didn't just slide into Ramsey's leg, he full on swiped at it. And it was slighly high, hence why he ended up kicking Ramsey in the shin, above where the ball was. If you watch the video, the ball goes under Shawcross' leg.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

He will get booed at the start, and he quite rightly will deserve it. The odd fan will continue to boo him but I think the majoity will just focus on backing us.

As for the tackle, it wasn't intentional to break Rambo's leg (at least I hope it wasn't) but it was very, very reckless.

Agreed, pretty much sums it up for me.

Everyone keeps saying "he didn't mean to break his leg". Well I doubt barely any leg breaks in football history have been intentional, but the point is even if they are accidental, they could have been caused by recklessness that could have been prevented.

In a sense I do feel a tad sorry for Shawcross, he surely didn't want to break his leg, and probably regrets it every day. But the fact is it was a reckless tackle, and it didn't have to happen. My sympathy goes to the player whose leg was crippled, and who should now be playing in the Arsenal first team, but instead will have to wait a long time to regain proper match fitness.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

it was a 50 50 ball at pace that he and ramsey had every right to go for, ramsey beat him to it. but his leg was planted = leg break

But what makes me dislike the tackle is how Ramsey simply planted his foot there to toe poke the ball, like you say, but Shawcross tries to leather it, when he must know if Ramsey gets there first he does him a lot of damage. All it needed from Shawcross was to stick out a toe to win the ball, and Ramsey may not have been so badly injured.

It was a bad attempt to get the ball. 100% brute force. The video is on YouTube. That's the type of player Shawcross is. Players like John Terry doesn't get into situations like that because he got skill and (football) intelligence. That's why he is at Chelsea and Shawcross is at Stoke.

Stop defending him. That Ramsey got injured and people startet looking at Shawcross has made people aware of how he plays, which is a good thing (so to speak) and probably saves a lot of players their health. And let's not forget it's not the first time he has broken anyones leg. It's the same thing that now has happened to De Jong. Just to bad players will have to go through possible career ending injuries before they try telling them to calm down a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back