Shawcross 'need not fear Arsenal'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopping the video just before the incident, you see what I feel is the problem. As they are about to go in, the leg Ramsey eventually makes the tackle with is his front foot, stretching his maximum to get a toe on the ball. However Shawcross' tackling foot has gone back ready to take a swipe. Why not stretch it out like Ramsey did and he may very well have got to the ball before Ramsey?

Stopping the video just before the incident, you see what I feel is the problem. As they are about to go in, the leg Ramsey eventually makes the tackle with is his front foot, stretching his maximum to get a toe on the ball. However Shawcross' tackling foot has gone back ready to take a swipe. Why not stretch it out like Ramsey did and he may very well have got to the ball before Ramsey?
we're ust speculating here, but he could be going to hoof the ball, prevent ramsey getting away and running with it.

we're ust speculating here, but he could be going to hoof the ball, prevent ramsey getting away and running with it.

In which case he was unlucky but still clumsy and reckless, as he knew Ramsy was about to slide in, so he should have realised a flying boot could cause some damage.

It really depends how you see it. I saw it as being one of careless/ malicious, (unable to tell which), and desrved a red. Hopefully he will think twice before going in like that again.

To clear up the misunderstanding a few people seem to have, I don't think there is anything wrong with a nice hard tackle, but it has to be on the ground, one footed and without excessive force. In my opinion, Shawcross' tackle contained excessive force and may have been high, hut the video is so fast it's hard to tell.

In which case he was unlucky but still clumsy and reckless, as he knew Ramsy was about to slide in, so he should have realised a flying boot could cause some damage.

It really depends how you see it. I saw it as being one of careless/ malicious, (unable to tell which), and desrved a red. Hopefully he will think twice before going in like that again.

To clear up the misunderstanding a few people seem to have, I don't think there is anything wrong with a nice hard tackle, but it has to be on the ground, one footed and without excessive force. In my opinion, Shawcross' tackle contained excessive force and may have been high, hut the video is so fast it's hard to tell.
thats the thing i just dont think he reacts quick enough to whats happening here, the whole incident unfolds quicker than he can react, with very unfortunate consequences

What you seem to be failing to understand is that football especially the Premierleague is ridiculously fast paced, and 80% of decisions made out on the pitch are made subconsciously within a split second.

Do you really think Shawcross had the time to take into account that Ramsey was coming at him and to pull out from the challenge? i certainly don't!

When you say you want him to think twice before he does it again, i would like you to tell me when he is going to think about it within the pace of the game...
If he stands there and thinks about it, the ball and game has passed him by, and he will be out of position.

Shawcross is a typical British defender, what they do is go in for challenges with their heart on their sleeve and give everything for the cause. He would throw himself in front of anything to stop his team conceding or losing the ball. Unfortunately that eagerness to battle for his team ended up with an accident.

Ryan Shawcross is one of the most honest players in the league, you could see how devastated he was from this pure accident.

thats the thing i just dont think he reacts quick enough to whats happening here, the whole incident unfolds quicker than he can react, with very unfortunate consequences

Thats true it does all happen extremely quickly. He had to make a decision in a split second and the first thing that came to his mind was probably just to put his foot through it. Hopefully from now on he might consider what happened and be careful about trying to leather the ball if there is a player in the vicinity.

Thats true it does all happen extremely quickly. He had to make a decision in a split second and the first thing that came to his mind was probably just to put his foot through it. Hopefully from now on he might consider what happened and be careful about trying to leather the ball if there is a player in the vicinity.
i also think its also a case of being taught better defending as well

i also think its also a case of being taught better defending as well

i agree with that tbf, although i love how the typical english game is played with tough tackling and committed battling.

i think from a very early age the expression "get your foot in" and "take him out" are used far too often, compared to the likes of Spanish youngster and Italian youngsters who probably get instructed to calculate the tackle before going in and discouraged from throwing themselves in.

although i do love to see someone go straight through someone else ^^) so im torn tbh.

What you seem to be failing to understand is that football especially the Premierleague is ridiculously fast paced, and 80% of decisions made out on the pitch are made subconsciously within a split second.

Do you really think Shawcross had the time to take into account that Ramsey was coming at him and to pull out from the challenge? i certainly don't!

When you say you want him to think twice before he does it again, i would like you to tell me when he is going to think about it within the pace of the game...
If he stands there and thinks about it, the ball and game has passed him by, and he will be out of position.

Shawcross is a typical British defender, what they do is go in for challenges with their heart on their sleeve and give everything for the cause. He would throw himself in front of anything to stop his team conceding or losing the ball. Unfortunately that eagerness to battle for his team ended up with an accident.

Ryan Shawcross is one of the most honest players in the league, you could see how devastated he was from this pure accident.

Yes he did have to make a split second decision, but surely instinct just dictates you stretch out your front leg to get to the ball as soon as possibly, not physically take longer to withdraw your foot before kicking, and not only possibly cause yourself to miss out on the tackle, but get Ramsey injured.

And yes he may well think twice. Not conciously, but next time he is hurtling into a challenge, that memory might just make him hold back a tad, and not try to kick out with so much force. If that happens, less damage will be done if he doesn't get the ball.

What you say about him being a typical British defender is true, and it's brilliant for the game. But on this occasion, it doens't matter who you are, there was no reason for him to try and swipe the ball.

We can't possibly know what kind of personality he is. He may well have been gutted and burst into tears. But the fact is if he keeps doing it they mean nothing, they are simply soon forgotten regret.

What I'm trying to say is yes broken legs are inevitable, but this one was most certainly not.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

i agree with that tbf, although i love how the typical english game is played with tough tackling and committed battling.

i think from a very early age the expression "get your foot in" and "take him out" are used far too often, compared (To expressions like retain possesion and pass and move which would also benefit the English game) to the likes of Spanish youngster and Italian youngsters who probably get instructed to calculate the tackle before going in and discouraged from throwing themselves in.

although i do love to see someone go straight through someone else ^^) so im torn tbh.

Agree with your first sentence completely, and also added something to your origonal post which I think is the case. :)

i just fail to see how everyone has so much sympathy for shawcross, yet such little for Ramsey.

i just fail to see how everyone has so much sympathy for shawcross, yet such little for Ramsey.
eh how have you made that judgement? ramsey has all but recovered, shawcross is still being pilloried

eh how have you made that judgement? ramsey has all but recovered, shawcross is still being pilloried

Ramsey's career might never be the same, and had 9 months out, wheras Shawcross only had 3 matches out.

Have sympathy for both, Ramsey more so because he didn't do anything to deserve it. Don't see where you got that idea from.

Ramsey's career might never be the same, and had 9 months out, wheras Shawcross only had 3 matches out.
shawcross has been labeled some pantomine villian, we all have sympathy for ramsey.

Everyone's going on about how Shawcross is such a nice fella, at the end of the day, he still could have ruined the career of Aaron with his clumsyness, whether he meant it or not; he done it.

Everyone's going on about how Shawcross is such a nice fella, at the end of the day, he still could have ruined the career of Aaron with his clumsyness, whether he meant it or not; he done it.
christ, it happens. Honestly you need to let go, Ramsey has, all he talks about is gettin on with getting fit

christ, it happens. Honestly you need to let go, Ramsey has, all he talks about is gettin on with getting fit

tbf, had I mentioned it at all, until this thread came up?

and when you say ''it happens'', your just condoning these rash tackles, surely.

**** happens, was a 50/50 ball, Ramsey nipped in got the ball just before Shawcross meaning he hit him, tackles like that happen every game, Ramsey's leg was planted which was the ONLY reason it broke.

**** happens, was a 50/50 ball, Ramsey nipped in got the ball just before Shawcross meaning he hit him, tackles like that happen every game, Ramsey's leg was planted which was the ONLY reason it broke.

but when you see a leg planted, you don't then take a big swipe back and then strike him above or around the ankle.

god, I've had my say, cbf to talk about this anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back