Spanish final 23 men World Cup squad announced

Which players got axed?

Diego Lopez (Villarreal), David De Gea (Atletico Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna); Marcos Senna (Villarreal) and Santi Cazorla (Villarreal); Dani Guiza (Fenerbahce) and Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla)

Diego Lopez (Villarreal), David De Gea (Atletico Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna); Marcos Senna (Villarreal) and Santi Cazorla (Villarreal); Dani Guiza (Fenerbahce) and Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla)

Who was the mpst unluckiest to not be included? Sorry I dont follow spanish football

Spain - 82
David Silva - 8
David Villa - 21
Fernando Torres - 18
Pedro Rodriguez - 12
Fernando Llorente - 14
Juan Mata - 9

England - 78
Wayne Rooney - 26
Darren Bent - 24
Peter Crouch - 7
Jermaine Defoe - 18
Emile Heskey - 3

It's closer than I thought it would be :) Plus these are league goals only, I couldn't be bothered to go through every competition!

And even Spain's defence is better than the English. Pique probably the best centre back in the world, Puyol is not bad and Ramos is one of the best right backs in the world.

We have a stronger defence than the Spaniards.

Will you make up your mind on what nationality you are (A)

'on current form'? All of those players have been injured recently XD I'm saying our starting back four is better than Spain's.

Johnson = Ramos (Johnson better full-back but not so good when covering in the centre but pretty much equal overall)
Terry >>>>> Puyol
Ferdinand >>>>> Pique
Cole >>>>> Capdevilla

Disagree, Over the last two years Puyol and Pique have been fantastic. A fantastic due and the defensive record proves it.

Glen Johnson is nowhere near the level that Sergio Ramos is,for one Ramos can defend. He is just as fast as Johnson and is great with set pieces.

Spain have a fantastic defence. They are a much better unit than England

I agree with you on all except the Sergio Ramos one.. I think he is much better than Johnson. He can defend, attack and is also a threat at goal when it comes to set pieces. But yeah, England's defense is better than Spains.

Again I disagree.

Fantastic squad, by far the best. I just wonder if there reputation as 'bottlers' will hit again?

Where is Silva? He injured? Not that Mata isn't just as amazing..

Casilias>................................................Hart

Ramos>Johnson
Pique>Terry
Puyol = Ferdinand
Capdevilla<Cole

Pedro>Lennon
Xaxi>Lampard
Fabregas>Gerrard
Iniesta>Walcott

Rooney>Villa
Torres>Heskey XD

England are better in two positions :(

jesus navas? i mean wtf!? isnt his home sickness like EXTREME??

Ramos>Johnson
Pique>Terry
Puyol = Ferdinand
Capdevilla<Cole

Pedro>Lennon
Xaxi>Lampard
Fabregas>Gerrard
Iniesta>Walcott

Rooney>Villa
Torres>Heskey XD

I would go along with this, although I don't think they will play that system. Players like Fabregas and Pedro are not likely to start which is ridiculous considering the seasons they have had.

Guiza is better than Llorente. Id say Spain are going to be a real mountain for other teams.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Ramos>Johnson
Pique>Terry
Puyol = Ferdinand
Capdevilla<Cole

Pedro>Lennon
Xaxi>Lampard
Fabregas>Gerrard
Iniesta>Walcott

Rooney>Villa
Torres>Heskey XD

Fabregas doesnt start usually- Alonso.

Spain might have the best squad but they are beatable. They can have the best in every position but when it comes to world cups Brazil, Germany and Italians are the best. No matter what squad Germany has, they always perform well, No one gave Brazil a chance in 2002 when they scrapped through qualifiers, but they won in style. TBH i believe Netherlands play attractive football than any other team,

Its okay everyone! We have Heskey! In Heskey we hope! :mad:

Dear god, if we meet the Spanish we'd best hope that Capello has some kind of master plan, because otherwise we are well and truly mullered.

Messi isnt a striker

He's been playing there recently, as a false nine.

Last edited:
Spain's centre backs are probably on a par with England's.

Ramos>Johnson
Cole>Capdevilla.. so techniqually they have an even defense.

Interesting that no one thinks Villa might be better than Torres. In nearly every game I've seen, Villa has been the better player (technique, finishing, even the shift he's put in). Seem to remeber him outshining Torres in the Euro's too and finishing as top scorer, but Torres stole the limelight with the winning goal in final. I like Torres, but, with a league record of 1 goal in every 2 games (over his entire career) and 36 goals in 55 internationals, can't help thinking Villa might be a tad better than his strike partner.

Interesting that no one thinks Villa might be better than Torres. In nearly every game I've seen, Villa has been the better player (technique, finishing, even the shift he's put in). Seem to remeber him outshining Torres in the Euro's too and finishing as top scorer, but Torres stole the limelight with the winning goal in final. I like Torres, but, with a league record of 1 goal in every 2 games (over his entire career) and 36 goals in 55 internationals, can't help thinking Villa might be a tad better than his strike partner.

That's 'cause in international games, Torres was always playing off of Villa. Now it's the other way around.

And about the league record thing. Villa is over 2 years older than Torres and Torres plays in a team witha worse attack and as a lone striker in a league far more physical than the Spanish.

Torres is better at finishing/heading, stronger and probably faster.

Personally, Torres for me offers more than Villa, I would have Torres > Villa in ANY team.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

'on current form'? All of those players have been injured recently XD I'm saying our starting back four is better than Spain's.

Johnson = Ramos (Johnson better full-back but not so good when covering in the centre but pretty much equal overall)
Terry >>>>> Puyol
Ferdinand >>>>> Pique
Cole >>>>> Capdevilla

Deluded.

------->>>>>Ramos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Johnson
Pique>>>>>Puyol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ferdinand Unless Rio is on form, then they're even.
------>>>>> Capdevilla<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Cole

I agree. Villa is surely better than Torres no doubt !

That's 'cause in international games, Torres was always playing off of Villa. Now it's the other way around.

And about the league record thing. Villa is over 2 years older than Torres and Torres plays in a team witha worse attack and as a lone striker in a league far more physical than the Spanish.

Torres is better at finishing/heading, stronger and probably faster.

Personally, Torres for me offers more than Villa, I would have Torres > Villa in ANY team.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Deluded.

------->>>>>Ramos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Johnson
Pique>>>>>Puyol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ferdinand Unless Rio is on form, then they're even.
------>>>>> Capdevilla<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Cole

Calling others deluded to post this? You lot are really funny. Just coz pique is attacking than other CBs makes him best? How many times he needs to defend playing for Barca. Every game they have say 70% possession and the moment they lose the ball, starting from Messi everyone closes so well, CB hardly has any job there other than heading a odd long ball.