Sporting Club : Trying to buy a World Cup!

2016/17 Preview

View attachment 396961

Top Prospects

Sporting currently has 11 top prospects. Jose Dias is a 5 star AMC, while the other 10 are 4.5 stars
View attachment 396938View attachment 396937View attachment 396936View attachment 396935View attachment 396934View attachment 396934View attachment 396933View attachment 396932View attachment 396931View attachment 396930View attachment 396929View attachment 396928
One of them must be in there twice, I count twelve.

In addition, Sporting have a remarkable 23 eighteen year olds joining the club in January 2017 alone.

Last edited:
I'd start selling all of the youngsters and just replace them all with 3/4 players. Go for the title!

you got the next deco there in jose dias. He's 18 so I'd train his fitness as much as i could early on. Overall good set of youngsters. No Ronaldo though :S

you got the next deco there in jose dias. He's 18 so I'd train his fitness as much as i could early on. Overall good set of youngsters. No Ronaldo though :S

Ok, thanks! That's one area where I'm weak, developing youngsters. I've been focusing on bringing youth up.

I'd start selling all of the youngsters and just replace them all with 3/4 players. Go for the title!

I got rid of my stars in order to buy the young Brazilians. My goal here is to cap them for Portugal and win the World Cup with Sporting players. But I will sell the majority of the young players, from this point on i will have a lot of players joining so I can't possibly keep them all on the roster.

I had a couple long flights in the past few days so I played a lot of FM, but without internet I was unable to update, so I have half a season to post. I'll focus mainly on Portugal as the plan is starting to come together for World Cups in the 2020's!
Club Update

The three summer signings were DC Samir from Flamengo, DC Edgar Le from Getafe, and Canadian David Soler from Montreal Impact. I'm half-Canadian so that was a sentimental signing. As it turns out, Soler was capped by Canada soon after and sent packing by Sporting.
View attachment 396324 View attachment 396323 View attachment 396322

View attachment 396320

William Carvalho was sold to Hamburg after he decided to turn down a Portugal callup and play for Angola. I'm still baffled by that, he was getting the callups from the senior squad but had yet to be put into a match, then he just showed up in Angola. In all my other saves he has never declared for Angola.
View attachment 396321

View attachment 396338

Once again Sporting failed to win a single pre-season friendly. I don't put too much stock in the results but I think that, starting next season, I will take control of friendlies. I would prefer to have more control over playing time for youth players.

Sporting got off to a great start in the league but stumbled against some weaker competition. Maritimo continued to play well, topping the league through half the season.

View attachment 396336
View attachment 396335

Sporting
sit comfotably in 4th, just behind Benfica and Porto, surprise surprise.
View attachment 396331

Adrien was named Liga Player of the Month for August and November and I won my third Manager of the Month award, also in August.

The Champions League qualifying, once again, did not go well. A scoreless match against Galatasaray in Portugal set things up nicely, but a 2-1 loss in Turkey sent Sporting back to the Europa League.

In the Europa League,
Sporting got the job done, qualifying for the knockout round.
View attachment 396328

The celebration was short lived as we were drawn against German giants, Dortmund.

View attachment 396326

In the Taca do Portugal, Sporting are through to the 6th round (Quarter Finals) after defeating Setubal.

Sporting got a fairly easy group for the Taca da Liga, which begins soon.
View attachment 396325

Portugal Update

Since taking control of Portugal, I immediately set out to cap as many of my players as possible. At one point during a game against Greece I had 6 of the 11 players on the pitch from Sporting.

Joao Mario got his first cap
View attachment 396316View attachment 396314

I have been trying to cap Douglas but so far he is not interested in playing for Portugal. Brazil has called him to the U20 squad but I'm hoping that's as far as he goes with them and that eventually he will come around and accept a callup from Portugal.

The Groups were drawn for the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers and Portugal got a pretty easy group. We got Luxembourg and Cyprus! Not too shabby. The other three teams were Greece, Slovenia and Albania.

The top team qualifies directly for World Cup 2018, the second place team could qualify for a playoff.

Round One
View attachment 396311
Could not have asked for two easier opponents, and it was a good thing because the squad played poorly, my tactic was foreign to most of the players and they acted accordingly. It may take some time for them to pick it up and I'm hoping that the results stay positive in the meantime.

Round Two
View attachment 396308
A late goal rescued the Slovenia result, Cyprus with two big wins!

Round Three
View attachment 396307
That's it until March. Portugal had a 0-0 draw in a friendly with England and have risen to 10th in the World Rankings

View attachment 396306

It's been a good start with the Portuguese National Team. 6 games, 5 wins and a draw. I think we're pretty much a lock to qualify for the World Cup and that was the goal presented to me by the Portuguese FA so my job is safe for now. I'm getting a lot of Sporting players into the squad and the press hasn't made a big deal of that as of yet. In past saves if I selected a lot of my club players I would hear about it from the press.

​January Signings

Not really new signings, but lots of underage signings that finally turned 18. Many 4 star players but a few really stood out.

View attachment 396305View attachment 396304View attachment 396303View attachment 396302View attachment 396301View attachment 396300View attachment 396299

These are new additions, I'm very excited at this crop as you never know how the players will look until they actually join the team. A few players came in and were very poor, 1 and 2 star rating.

In the next few years as these players mature, along with the young stars I currently have in the youth team, I'm confident that I will rise to the top of Portugal and be a force in Europe. The important question is, how many of these players can I cap for Portugal??​

Second Half of 2016/2017 Update

Joao Pedro
, once thought to be the AMC of the future, was sold to Monterrey of the Mexican League. I believe this is my first ever dealing with a Mexican team. I don't think I've ever bought or sold a player to/from that league before. The offer cam out of the blue and I took it. So long Joao Pedro, we hardly knew you.

Here was a weird one:
View attachment 395485
The B teams aren't eligible for promotion, this is just an oversight that needs to be fixed. It's nice to see the B team doing so well. Soon I'll be winning this league year after year.

LIGA ZON SAGRES

View attachment 395470
As of Feb 19, Sporting sits in 4th place, with a 7 pt cushion between them and 5th place Braga. With a favourable schedule the rest of the way, we can focus on chasing down the leaders. For the closing portion of the season I'll focus on just the top 4, Sporting, Porto, Benfica and Maritimo.

Wed Feb 22 Porto 3 Chaves 1
View attachment 395469
With a midweek fixture, Porto temporarily leaps Maritimo into top spot.

Sat Feb 25
Academica 2 Porto 2

Sun Feb 26
Sporting 0 Beira Mar 0
Braga 0 Maritimo 2
Chaves 1 Benfica 1

Dropped points by Porto and Benfica were wasted as Sporting plays a terrible game against relegation threatened Beira Mar. At home. Terrible.
View attachment 395467

Wed Mar 1
Benfica 2 Belenenses 0

Sat Mar 4
Estoril 1 Benfica 1

Sun Mar 5
Belenenses 1 Porto 3
Sporting 3 Rio Ave 1
Academica 1 Maritimo 3

View attachment 395461

Fri Mar 10
Guimaraes 2 Porto 3

Sat Mar 11
Leiria 1 Benfica 3

Sun Mar 12
Belenenses 1 Maritimo 2
Sporting 0 Gil Vicente 0

Wed Mar 15
Maritimo 0 Sporting 1

View attachment 395459

With a game in hand on Benfica, an easy schedule and the tiebreaker advantage, Sporting are well placed for another Champions League spot.

Mon Mar 27
Nacional 0 Sporting 2

Wed Mar 29
Benfica 4 Guimaraes 1
Maritimo 4 Chaves 1
Porto 1 Estoril 0

View attachment 395432

Not sure what happened with the schedule here, but Sporting now 2pts behind Benfica. I took screenshots the whole way through so I may have got some at the wrong time.

Sat Apr 1
Setubal 0 Benfica 0

Sun Apr 2
Porto 3 Leiria 0
Braga 1 Sporting 3
Maritimo 2 Estoril 0

View attachment 395430

Sporting back in 3rd with 4 games to go. Chaves with a 1 point lead on Beira Mar, who are once again fighting to stay up.

(no table screenshots for the next 3 games)
Fri Apr 7
Benfica 0 Porto 2

Sat Apr 8
Sporting 2 Setubal 1
Guimaraes 0 Maritimo 1

3 Games Remaining
Porto 64
Maritimo 64
Sporting 57
Benfica 54

Sat Apr 15
Maritimo 0 Leiria 0
Setubal 1 Porto 6

Big game against Academica following some controversy. My assistant told me that Academica had not played Flavio in a single game despite promising that he would be a key player when signing the loan agreement. I brought this up to Academica's manager who told me, basically, it's irrelevant how much time he needs. Oooooookay.
View attachment 395429
I promptly recalled all my players from Academica (there were a LOT) and then cancelled the link between our clubs.
View attachment 395428View attachment 395427View attachment 395426View attachment 395425
View attachment 395424
I left Flavio there, along with a few others players that I didn't even notice were there, that's how many players I had loaned them. You'd think he would show me a little more respect. Anyway, after I cancelled our link, Academica sent Flavio and all other remaining players back to us. They were safe from relegation, thanks to my players, so I guess they felt they were in a position to send me a message. We'll see about next year when I loan players out to every team at the bottom of the table except for Academica. Plus, they fired me in a previous save.
View attachment 395423View attachment 395422View attachment 395421

Right after that incident I had the same problem with a player at Estoril, another feeder team where I supplied almost their entire starting 11. They received the message loud and clear.
View attachment 395420

Sun Apr 16
Sporting 3 Academica 1
Beira Mar 1 Benfica 3
2 Games Remaining
Porto 67
Maritimo 65

Sporting 60
Benfica 57
Fri Apr 28
Benfica 3 Maritimo 1

Sat Apr 29
Porto 4 Beira Mar 0

Sun Apr 30
Chaves 0 Sporting 4
View attachment 395418
With 1 game remaining, Sporting have clinched a Champions League spot, Porto have won the title, and the Europa League teams are decided. Not much to play for except relegation, Chaves and Beira Mar, and the 2nd/3rd spot. Sporting have a home game against Belenenses while Maritimo host Porto, so I should take the 2nd spot and make my first Champions League group spot and not a moment too soon as we are over 10million in debt!

Last edited:
Cup Competitions

Europa League
1st knockout round
Thur Feb 9
Sporting 2 Dortmund 0

Huge win for
Sporting against one of the European giants. The team really started to gel here, confidence is high for me now, I feel that I've weathered the storm after unloading my big players in year 1 and replaced them with teenagers. Once again, I can't stress this enough, the 3-4-2-1-0 tactic by Veez and Romain is really good, my save hash't done it much justice as my roster has been weak.

Thur Feb 16
Dortmund 3
Sporting 1

A little background. During my Wolfsburg save, Dortmund came from 2 goals down in injury time, 3 or 4 times against me, they were a real bogey team for me. So this game was 1-1 after 84 minutes, Dortmund needed 3 goals to advance. They scored in the 84th and 88th minute and then hit the post a couple times in injury time, I started getting flashbacks and even was thinking there might be a bug in the game! In the end we held on and advanced on away goals.

2nd knockout round
Thur Mar 2
Ajax 1
Sporting 6

Huge win for us, the team is in a big need of a rest and this gives me a chance to rotate the squad in the return leg.

Thur Mar 9
Sporting 1 Ajax 0

A reserve team played a defensive tactic and got the win as
Sporting advances

Quarter Finals
Thur Mar 30 Spartak Moscow 2
Sporting 2

Down 2-0 at halftime, we fought back to take the advantage back to Lisbon. We seem to always draw Russian teams and always during the winter, lots of snow, orange ball, etc.

Thur Apr 6
Sporting 3 Spartak Moscow 0

Two early goals took all the drama out of the game and it became a party.

Semi Finals
Thur Apr 20 Sporting 4 Zenit 1

Another Russian team, I think we've played all the top teams. A relatively easy win sets up another rotation game for my squad.

Thur Apr 27 Zenit 2
Sporting 2

A late
Sporting goal almost gave us the win but a minute later Zenit rescued the draw but lost the tie.

Final, France

Sporting 0 Liverpool 1

Liverpool win the Europa League but what a run for
Sporting!

This definately helps both the team and the country coefficients!

The Champions League Final is set with Chelsea to face Bayern. Together the two teams have won the past 5 Champions Leagues!
View attachment 395411

Coefficients
View attachment 395410
Despite the great performance from Sporting and beating a few Russian clubs, the rest of the Portuguese clubs had poor performances, partly due to the weak teams that qualified, and Portugal subsequently will drop to 7th, behind Russia

Great updates, still following keenly! Started a story of my own if you fancy a look

2017 REGENS

Only one decent player, my first 5 star regen, The rest were bums.

View attachment 395381
I'll have to retrain him to another position, AMC or MC as I don't use wingers or MLs​

National Team

Just the one International game so far in 2017. A big 6-0 win over minnows, Luxembourg. Cyrpus continued their impressive qualifying campaign with a 1-0 away win to Greece! In case you're wondering, I checked their roster, all greyed out players except one, worth 14.5k. Definitely strange.
View attachment 395380

I'll have an update on the final match day coming up tomorrow, and then onto 2017/18 and the buildup to the World Cup!

Final Match Day 2016/2017

Porto has wrapped up their 7th consecutive title, Sporting and Maritimo are battling for 2nd place, the 3rd place team will have to go through two rounds of Champions League Qualifying while the 2nd place team goes straight to the group stage, so quite a big difference. Maritimo has the tiebreaker.

On the other end of the spectrum, Chaves have a slim one point lead over Beira Mar for 14th place, and safety from relegation. Beira Mar has the tiebreaker.

The Matchups

Sporting v. Belenenses
Maritimo v. Porto

Beira Mar v. Setubal
Academica v. Chaves

The blow-by-blow:
2 min GOAL!! Chaves goes up 1-0 on Academica and 3 pts up on Beira Mar. Not looking good for another miracle comeback from Beira Mar this year!

Chaves 24
Beira Mar 21

5 min GOAL!!! Academica strike back right way! 1-1 back to a 1pts lead for Chaves

Chaves 22
Beira Mar 21

8 min GOAL!! Academica with another! what a start in this game, 2-1 after 8 minutes! Chaves are now in the relegation places after looking so safe 6 minutes ago!

Beira Mar 21
Chaves 21

14 min GOAL!!!
Sporting !! Adryan puts Sporting up at home against Belenenses! and into a tie on points with Maritimo.

Maritimo 66
Sporting 66

20 min GOAL!!! Maritimo strike first against Porto?? What is this?

Maritimo 68
Sporting 66

23 min GOAL!!! Porto strike back almost immediately!

Maritimo 66
Sporting 66

29 min GOAL!!! Sporting double their advantage, this time, Pedro Empis! No change to the standings, we still need a Porto victory

34 min GOAL!!! Sporting with yet another, Adryan with his second of the game, 3-0 Sporting

34 min GOAL!!! Academica go 3-1 up on Chaves

Beira Mar 21
Chaves 21

Maritimo 66
Sporting 66

44 min GOAL!!! Porto go up 2-1 just before the half. Sporting moves into 2nd place and that's how the scores stay going into the break.

Sporting 66
Maritimo 65

Beira Mar 21
Chaves 21

47 and 51 mins GOALS!!!! Adryan scores two more, he now has 4 on the day and Sporting go up 5-0. Combined with the Porto-Maritimo score this puts Sporting into 2nd place. The fans break out into a chant of "SCP!! SCP!!"
then "Filhos da Putas SLB!" (Translation: Son of B**tches, Benfica) They chant this at random times.

Belenenses peg two back to make it 5-2 but that score is not in doubt, no drama there, but Chaves SCORE!! in the 63rd minute to make their score 3-2. One more goal brings them even, and the extra point will take them to safety!

The Chaves fans stayed on the edges of their seats until minute 77 when Dias of Beira Mar was pulled down in the area as he went in on Setubals goal. The ensuing penalty was taken by Dias and he SCORED!!! The goal gives Beira Mar 23 points, two more than Chaves, who need a miracle.

They didn't get that miracle as both scores remained the same. Otavio scored a Million Euro goal to make the final 6-3 for Sporting over Belenenses, The goal triggered a clause in his contract that sent 1 million Euros back to Internacional of Brazil. He can also trigger another clause when he reaches 50 league games that will send another million Euros to Internacional!

Porto held their lead to win against Maritimo, meaning Sporting take 2nd place!!

END OF SEASON REVIEW AND NOTES

Liga ZON SAGRES Champion: Porto (7th straight title)
Champions League Qualifiers: Sporting (Group Stage), Maritimo (3rd round Qualifying Stage)
Europe League Qualifiers: Benfica (Group Stage), Braga (Playoff), Rio Ave (3rd Qualifying Round)

Sporting Awards:

Manager of the Year:
3rd place, Boss Tweed

GK of the Year: Eduardo (3rd straight time)

Team of the Year:
Eduardo, GK. Adrien and Lucas Evangelista, midfield.

Liga Player of the Year: 2nd place, Lucas Evangelista

Most Assists: 3rd place Lucas Evangelista

Most Man of the Match: 2nd place, Lucas Evangelista

Champions League Final: Chelsea 0 Bayern 0, Chelsea win on penalties, their 3rd consecutive Champions League win! Chelsea and Bayern have won the last 6 Champions Leagues!

Notes

Portugal are 7th in Coefficient, and will have to fend off the Netherlands to stay there. They are down to only 2 Champions League places and in danger of falling even further!

I tried extending my contract but the board denied my request and they waited until the end of the season to offer me a new contract. I tried to milk them for more money (which I never do, but I'm a little ticked off with them) and they wouldn't even negotiate with me! I'm the Manager of Portugal for Heavens sake!!)

The financial picture is really, really bad. 20 million in debt with several
contracts to renew. I had to change the budgets just to get my salary under budget. I'll have to wait until the Champions League money comes into even start with renewals.

Teams have come in for both Otavio (12-14million Euro offers) and Lucas Evangelista (around 18 million Euros, although Bayern offered 26.5 million!). Normally I would sell, but these two players are still uncapped and I can't allow them to leave Portugal while there is still a chance. It goes against the entire save if I do, so I'll have to come up with some cash another way, maybe sell Adrien??

Both players, Otavio and Lucas Evangelista, have come to me demanding a move to a bigger club. I was able to buy some time but I had to promise both of them that we would win the title this year. With Evangelista stayiong another year that's a very realistic goal. The team will only get better, the oldest player on the team is Adriend and he's 28! It's no coincidence that the two players who want out were two of the only players that I paid to transfer in, they were both quite expensive. I won't need to sign anymore veterans at all in this save, so money shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I have almost 100 players in the Under 19 squad, I've offered them all out on loans but only if teams are willing to pickup their entire salary. I can't be picky about what positions that play, except for a few players I didn't specify where I want them to play. also, I only offered them to domestic clubs, unless they were already Portuguese in which case they went to my feeder team in Belgium, Cercle Brugge.

Some good news on the horizon?
View attachment 394234

Well, Jackson Martinez has become a Portuguese citizen, which is good news for me because this makes him more valuable to other clubs outside of Portugal. If you've been following along, you'll know that I'm desperate for him to leave Portugal because he kills me every team I play Porto. Also, he has rejected Porto's latest offer so perhaps a move is on the cards??

Benfica's Oscar Cardoso has won the European Golden Shoe award, the second consecutive Liga ZON SAGRES player to take home the award after Jackson Martinez won it last year. Perhaps this will gain some respect for the Portuguese League when it comes to World Player of the Year and Ballon d'Or voting. There still hasn't been a player on the shortlist from outside England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.

Adrien has, once again, won the fans Player of the Year award at
Sporting

My Favourite new signing:
View attachment 394228
Dude.

Perhaps my best new signing?
View attachment 394227

Eric Dier had to be sold, he left for Gladbach. He was uncapped but saw no benefit to becoming a Portuguese citizen. As a result, I saw no benefit in keeping him. And, I desperately need the money!
View attachment 394226

Title odds, 4-6? Not bad
View attachment 394225

Sporting B have become a force in Liga 2, next step? Double Championship??
View attachment 394224

Teams came hard after Douglas, offering up to 4million euros, but at only 19 he's already a top class player, also, he's become a Portuguese citizen so I want to keep him for my World Cup squad in the future, assuming I can get him to accept a call. I fought off the suitors until the window shut, but I had no money to sign him and by the time I did he refused to negotiate with me. So, with him on the last year of his deal he forced my hand, I sold him for a measly 1.7 million euros to Gremio.
View attachment 394223

Man City has come in for 17 year old regen Joaquim Portella, that's always validation when that happens. They offered a million Euros, I laughed.

I'll update​ the league at the halfway point and then again with 5 games to go and then go game by game from there.

I'll update the National team each International break.

I'll update the domestic cup competitions when they get to the later stages. I've decided not to play my big players in those anymore. I think this has been the reason for my great starts and finishes to seasons but terrible middle of the seasons, my players just had too many games.

Champions League Draw 2017/18

Sporting CP
Bayern Munchen
Atletico Madrid
Anderlecht

We aren't in Kansas anymore! What a tough group!

Bayern in the 4 previous seasons during the save have finished 1st, 1st, 1st and 2nd in Germany.

Atletico have finished 3rd, 5th, 4th and 4th in Spain

I don't have Belgium in my save but Anderlecht are perennial Champions in Belgium.

Going well man! How do you get so many good Brazilian regens?

Going well man! How do you get so many good Brazilian regens?

Thanks! Most if them were signed free, but with compensation up to a million euros. A lot of.them were signed as 15,16 year olds for less than 500k. It's a gamble and most of them are ****, I'm able to release most of them as soon as they arrive as 18 year olds but sometimes the board blocks it and I have to keep them. Thats the downside of signing them 2 years before they can come to Portugal. The regens come out in Sept. I only send scouts to Brazil, they all bring back almost identical reports but once in a while they find a gem at the right time. Also, I go through every Brazilian team 3-4 times per year and scout all the players. In 4 years I've signed about 150 players, abouy 120 of them have not panned out. To pay for all this I haven't signed any veterans, and I've sold a lot.of veterans.

Last edited:
This has been a brilliant read mate.
With some of your youngsters looking very promising, hopefully this year is your year to overtake Porto.

View attachment 393881
I won some friendlies this year, so that's good.
New strategy for the year, I'm taking the Arsenal approach to the two cup competitions (Taca da Liga and Taco do Portugal). I'll be playing the youngsters until the late rounds, if we make it that far. If not, no big deal, the prize money in these competitions is an insult.

Fixtures

LIGA Aug 20 Gil Vicente 0 Sporting 3
Solid away win to start the year.

LIGA Aug 27 Sporting 0 Braga 0
In previous seasons I would be happy with the point against a strong team, but this season I'm disappointed with the dropped points at home.

LIGA Sep 3 Beira Mar 0 Sporting 3
Another solid away win, 3 games without conceding.

LIGA Sep 15 Sporting 1 Porto 1
This game was different than other games v. Porto, Sporting took the game to them and we had the better chances, Porto was lucky to escape with a point. This year will be different!

UCL Sep 20 Atletico Madrid 1 Sporting 2
First ever Champions League group stage game, we went to Madrid and bossed the game.

LIGA Sep 24 Setubal 1 Sporting 1
After the two tough games I decided to rest some of my stars in order to keep everyone fresh. It was a mistake as the squad I put out there had a stinker. Here's where things got weird.​
I thought it was a joke at first. I checked the table just to be sure.​
Yep, just what I thought. One loss, 2pts out of 2nd place. Every team in the league has lost except for Benfica. We just went to Spain and beat a top team in Europe. I took a team with only one player above the age of 26 and qualified for the Champions League. We just lost our first league game in 14 and I'm getting called on to the carpet to "discuss my job"??​
I'm so over this board. They've been itching to fire me since I took the job. I went in there with the intention of speaking my mind. I had just signed an extension so if they wanted to fire me they'd have to pay.​
So, that wasn't so bad. I called their bluff and they backed down. They can't fire the manager of the Portuguese National Team. Especially one who is as vindictive as me. I would never select another Sporting or former Sporting player again if they fired me. I would have got another job in Portugal and continued the save and stuck it to Sporting.​

LIGA Sep 30 Sporting 3 Estoril 1
Back to winning ways.

UCL Oct 3 Sporting 1 Bayern 2
We didn't play defensive or back down, we took the game right to them.

We should have played more defensive.

LIGA Oct 8 Maritimo 0 Sporting 0
At this point, a draw at Maritimo is considered a good result. What is the world coming to?

Taca (Portugal) Oct 21 Sporting 5 Marinhense 1
They really shouldn't draw lower league teams away to Liga teams, it's cruel. I don't even want to be in the Cup this year but I couldn't field a poor enough team to lose.

UCL Oct 24 Sporting 3 Anderlecht 1
The goal is to win both games back to back against Anderlecht, and if Bayern take care of business against Atletico we should have qualification wrapped up with two games to go in the group.

LIGA Oct 29 Sporting 2 Aves 0
Clean sheets are becoming the norm. I've been playing Gasparotto even though he's already signed to go back to Brazil in January, after this game I switched to Wendel, who has taken the mantle from Henriques as "the Next One" in goal.

LIGA Nov 5 Benfica 1 Sporting 1
With Benfica flying, this is a good result. Benfica's goal came from a penalty. A strong draw for Sporting.

UCL Nov 8 Anderlecht 0 Sporting 1
Job done in the group. Sporting qualify for the knockout stage with still two games remaining. This is important for the rest.

Taca (Portugal) Nov 11 Leiria 1 Sporting 0
Eliminated from the Taca, I'm almost grateful. The extra games were really hurting my squad and it took me four years to realize it. The irony is that I'm finally getting the depth I need to compete in all competitions but I no longer want to.

LIGA Nov 25 Sporting 3 Guimaraes 0
The wins aren't as close as they used to be and that means the youngsters are coming into their own.

UCL Nov 28 Sporting 1 Atletico 2
Didn't matter, it was a nothing game and I used the opportunity to reward some B team players.

LIGA Dec 3 Sporting 4 Arouca 1
LIGA Dec 6 Rio Ave 1 Sporting 1
LIGA Dec 10 Belenenses 0 Sporting 2
Took 7 of 9 points in a clogged first week of December.

UCL Dec 13 Bayern 3 Sporting 0
Another nothing game

LIGA Dec 17 Sporting 4 Academica 1
I hate these guys, I pray that they get relegated. doesn't look like they will, not this year.
LIGA Dec 23 Sporting 1 Nacional 0
Taca (Liga) Dec 31 Sporting 2 Academica 1
Another sweet win against them.

January 1st Another whack of Brazilians join the team, some 4.5 star players in the bunch. According to the transfer history, this years signings cost us 15 million euros, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't include the compensation for the "free" players

LIGA Jan 13 Sporting 2 Gil Vicente 1
LIGA Jan 17 Sporting 3 Belenenses 0
LIGA Jan 21 Sporting 0 Beira Mar 0

An otherwise good run of games is spoiled by dropping two points to Beira Mar, who have been lucky to stay up for the past two seasons.

Taca (Liga) Jan 27 Rio Ave 0 Sporting 3
I can't seem to lose in this competition, but it's the lesser of two evils. The games are over the Christmas break, three quick group games and onto the semi finals.
The table on Feb 3rd.
View attachment 393817

PORTUGAL
View attachment 393830

September 8th
Cyprus 1 Portugal 3

(Joao Mario, Fernando, Diogo Figueiras)

September 12th
Portugal 2 Albania 0
(Josue, Andre Martins)

Martins sassed me in a meeting. Considering he's only picked because he played for me at Sporting, he should watch his mouth. This clinched a World Cup Berth for Portugal. I would have put more detail into the international section, but it was really too easy and there wasn't much drama. I actually went on holiday for the remainder of the games, something I never do.
View attachment 393821

Last edited: