WJ

Reaction score
Not sure if it'll work here, but let's see.

Have a small/quick question that's not worth opening an entire thread for? Not sure how something works? Not sure what something means? Post here and let us see if we can help! The question may be small or 'stupid' but if you don't ask, you may never know.

This is intended for quickfire tactical questions and answers.

If you want advice on your tactical setup (a more complicated subject!) then have a read of this and create a thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...tics/350220-looking-tactical-help-advice.html

I'm still getting many PMs that could easily go here and then get answers from others with different viewpoints as well!

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. Any suggestions for improving crossing completion? In my last match (A 1-0 win at home to WBA) my wing back had 41 cross attempts, yet only 3 connected. His crossing is only 13 which might be a factor, but I was specifically wondering what type of crosses would be most effective (whipped, floated, low ect) when playing a lone DLF with an enganche behind, neither of whom are great in the air? Obviously floated seems like the worst, but I'm still unsure on the other two. Also, is there anything else in general you can recommend to improve crossing completion?

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. Any suggestions for improving crossing completion? In my last match (A 1-0 win at home to WBA) my wing back had 41 cross attempts, yet only 3 connected. His crossing is only 13 which might be a factor, but I was specifically wondering what type of crosses would be most effective (whipped, floated, low ect) when playing a lone DLF with an enganche behind, neither of whom are great in the air? Obviously floated seems like the worst, but I'm still unsure on the other two. Also, is there anything else in general you can recommend to improve crossing completion?
It was probably better off in its own thread, but hey, you took the plunge so that's all that matters.

41 attempts sounds very wasteful, never mind how many were actually completed.

Make sure there are targets to aim for. Make sure it isn't something like 1 striker v 4 defenders.

As for cross types, it depends. Low is great if your strikers aren't great headers of the ball, but will struggle (obviously) in a crowded box where the first defender will just boot it. Floating is great if you have a big powerful striker who can dominate the defenders. It gives him time to get under the ball and use his strength and reach to get to the ball. Whipped can be great when the box is packed. It needs crossers who can keep their balance, preferably with some technical ability to cross as these crosses are the least accurate. They do have the advantage of not giving the defence time to get under the ball, but your strikers will need good Off The Ball movement and Heading ability at the very least.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I was trying out a new tactic so watched the majority of the game... it was like a replay loop of crosses coming in and being cleared. I'll try with whipped crosses, as the box was generally quite crowded when the crosses were coming in, and my forward and AMC aren't going to be winning many aerial battles and are more technical than physical. Thanks for the tips!

Is there a best way of play against the big ones? Like Real and Barça.
Faster or slower tempo, higher ou lower d-line, retain possession or is it all relative?

Last edited:
Is there a best way of play against the big ones? Like Real and Barça.
Faster or slower tempo, higher ou lower d-line, retain possession or is it all relative?
There's no best way, no.

How long does the 'mentor off the pitch' tutoring take? Is there a set time or does it differ from case to case? Had a quick search but couldn't find any answers

All tutoring is roughly 6 months, IIRC.

What could affect the efficiency of tatics

Hi, so I've been using a lot of tatic from different authors (IE Conqueror TFF9, Deadly Cirle...), and also from their tatic I make my own styles to base on their tatics so less likely to forget some player instruction. Anyways doesn't matter which tatic I use there is a feeling that it isn't consistent enough. So 1 season, it's very good, then the next it isn't... Which lead me to a few thing I wonder.

1. Does the AI learn our tatic and counter it? If so, if we have 3 slot of tatic we can keep switching around those tatic? Or we need to really keep updating and changing our tatic to different? In 1 season, I can't hardly use 1 tatic as after a few win, it starts draw and lose... Consider my team is quite strong, I can't just sit and wait for it to turn the tide (or should I?)

2. What else could affect the effectioncy of a tatic please? I know play away does play a big part. What we should put in consideration before start a match please?

1. Does the AI learn our tatic and counter it? If so, if we have 3 slot of tatic we can keep switching around those tatic? Or we need to really keep updating and changing our tatic to different? In 1 season, I can't hardly use 1 tatic as after a few win, it starts draw and lose... Consider my team is quite strong, I can't just sit and wait for it to turn the tide (or should I?)

No. They don't learn or counter. Generally, downloaded tactics are extremely attacking, so when you start doing well, the opposition will naturally be more defensive in the next matches. That's where many tactics fall down as the space available is different. It's a general change though and nothing specific to a tactic.

2. What else could affect the effectioncy of a tatic please? I know play away does play a big part. What we should put in consideration before start a match please?
There's too many factors to mention. In general, it is all about space and how you use it. Against more defensive teams, you often have to create your own space to be able to break through.

Thank you WJ, that's make sense. So we are stronger they they are just play more defensive which make them harder to break and easy for us to lose to counter.

I think I will try a bit more on the tatic see if I can get a solution for defensive team

Tighter Marking

As Tighter marking is both a PI and TI, is there a difference in how the players react or carry out the TI vs the PI? Functionally, the PI allows you to specifically give instructions, but is giving everyone the Mark Tighter PI the same as the Mark Tighter TI? If not, do the effects stack? I see some tactics uploaded with both the TI ticked and the PI ticked for every player and I feel it should be redundant.

As Tighter marking is both a PI and TI, is there a difference in how the players react or carry out the TI vs the PI? Functionally, the PI allows you to specifically give instructions, but is giving everyone the Mark Tighter PI the same as the Mark Tighter TI? If not, do the effects stack? I see some tactics uploaded with both the TI ticked and the PI ticked for every player and I feel it should be redundant.
Normally, instructions stack, but it doesn't with tight marking.

B Team Training

Playing with TSV 1860 Munich, so we have a B team instead of a reserves. Is there a way to set the individual training for the B team? At the moment, the only way I see how is when the Asst Man gives the monthly training report, there's a check box beside B team players mentioned in the report. That check box lets me control those players' trainings, but how do I do it for everyone before having to wait on the Asst Man report?

Playing with TSV 1860 Munich, so we have a B team instead of a reserves. Is there a way to set the individual training for the B team? At the moment, the only way I see how is when the Asst Man gives the monthly training report, there's a check box beside B team players mentioned in the report. That check box lets me control those players' trainings, but how do I do it for everyone before having to wait on the Asst Man report?

Dont think so, it was a feature that was talked about being added but SI never did.

Not really one for asking questions, but I'm struggling to score second half goals whatever the half-time result.

I play a 4-2-3-1 wide with a Control mentality. I don't tend to change tactics during a match and, dependent on score, I usually switch between 'Don't get complacent', 'You're playing well, keep it up" and "Room for improvement" at half-time.

Is there anything I can try to improve second half performances? 7 out of 10 games I'm usually 3 or 4 goals up anyway, but if I'm only 1-0 I worry that I won't see the game out.

Not really one for asking questions, but I'm struggling to score second half goals whatever the half-time result.

I play a 4-2-3-1 wide with a Control mentality. I don't tend to change tactics during a match and, dependent on score, I usually switch between 'Don't get complacent', 'You're playing well, keep it up" and "Room for improvement" at half-time.

Is there anything I can try to improve second half performances? 7 out of 10 games I'm usually 3 or 4 goals up anyway, but if I'm only 1-0 I worry that I won't see the game out.
That's far too broad a question to get a proper answer. You're talking about the entire 2nd half, so team talks don't really matter at all. There's a lot of context missing though.

If you're 3-4 goals up at half-time, the opposition will slam the windows shut, lock the door and park as many buses as they can find. Damage limitation. Depending on how your tactic works, this could drastically change the match as you'll now need patience along with creating and/or using space. Complacency team talks will help, but it's a minor effect compared to the tactical happenings on the pitch.

At 1-0 up, again things may be different at some point during the half. At some point the opposition (like we all would) realises that there's only a goal in it and will become more attacking and more aggressive defensively. Again, depending on the tactic, this could change things considerably.