Control vs Attacking

A counter-intuitive notion I've realised in Control vs Attacking mentalities is that the defensive line is higher on Control than it is on Attacking, Control has the same height line as Overload for all line height settings except normal, any idea why? If Control is to be wary of counterattacks, it seems weird for it to have a higher line than Attacking. Any other counter-intuitive differences you know of between the two?

A counter-intuitive notion I've realised in Control vs Attacking mentalities is that the defensive line is higher on Control than it is on Attacking, Control has the same height line as Overload for all line height settings except normal, any idea why? If Control is to be wary of counterattacks, it seems weird for it to have a higher line than Attacking. Any other counter-intuitive differences you know of between the two?
The D-Line isn't higher on Control. Where/How are you seeing this? It steps up in increments from Contain through to Overload, making Attacking the 2nd highest default D-Line.

The D-Line isn't higher on Control. Where/How are you seeing this? It steps up in increments from Contain through to Overload, making Attacking the 2nd highest default D-Line.
On the TI screen, if you adjust your mentality between Control and Attack, you will see the defensive line is slightly higher on Control, keeping all other TIs constant. It may just be a graphical thing, but the interface makes it seem higher.

On the TI screen, if you adjust your mentality between Control and Attack, you will see the defensive line is slightly higher on Control, keeping all other TIs constant. It may just be a graphical thing, but the interface makes it seem higher.
I haven't noticed that, but it'll be a UI issue similar to the closing down graphic changing (when it doesn't actually change at all) when you Push Higher Up.

Control D-Line is definitely not higher than Attacking D-Line. With less closing down than Attacking, it wouldn't make sense either.

I haven't noticed that, but it'll be a UI issue similar to the closing down graphic changing (when it doesn't actually change at all) when you Push Higher Up.

Control D-Line is definitely not higher than Attacking D-Line. With less closing down than Attacking, it wouldn't make sense either.
Hokidokes. Thanks.

Nice thread, WJ. Great work in here.

I'm hoping to get a new post-update save going with Koln or Lokomotiv Moscow, with the intent of using a 4-1-4-1 that gives me the option of counter or possession approaches. So will likely be looking for help in here soon enough :)

Is look for overlap redundant if the fullback positions are on attack? Does look for overlap slow tempo any?

Is look for overlap redundant if the fullback positions are on attack? Does look for overlap slow tempo any?
Look for overlap increases forward runs for fullbacks, useless if they're on attack duty. It also asks the wide midfielders to remain deeper and hold up the ball.

Look for overlap increases forward runs for fullbacks, useless if they're on attack duty. It also asks the wide midfielders to remain deeper and hold up the ball.
By wide midfielders, you mean just those in the M strata or AM strata as well like Inside forwards?

Can possession football be applied to any mentality or is control the only the suitable mentality for it?

Which tactics should be used to make traditional attacking wingers to be effective? I make one of the wingers to be a W ( a )on 4231 or 433 formation but they are always likely to cut inside. Could they be used in a short passing system? Playing with width seems to be most effective way but i also want to keep some possession as im managing a top quality side (Liverpool).

Can possession football be applied to any mentality or is control the only the suitable mentality for it?
Far from it and I assume you ask because of Cleon's thread. If you read the thread, he specifically did the thread to show you can play possession football on the higher mentalities because before then it was commonly though that only the defensive (Defend, Counter) mentalities are suitable.

Which tactics should be used to make traditional attacking wingers to be effective? I make one of the wingers to be a W ( a )on 4231 or 433 formation but they are always likely to cut inside. Could they be used in a short passing system? Playing with width seems to be most effective way but i also want to keep some possession as im managing a top quality side (Liverpool).
Wingers don't cut inside unless the player has PPMs to give that tendency or you're playing a left footed player on the right and vice versa.

Do certain shapes/formations suit styles of play? For example do 5 players in the midfield suit possession football or can I still achieve a possession style using a 4-4-2 formation?

I'm wondering is there any limit about that how many PPMs a player might learn ?

Do certain shapes/formations suit styles of play? For example do 5 players in the midfield suit possession football or can I still achieve a possession style using a 4-4-2 formation?
It depends? With a 4-4-2, it'll be harder of course, especially against teams that outnumber you in midfield. Overall, 3/5 man midfields are better and a 4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1/4-1-2-3 DM or whatever it is called these days is a better formation for possession than a 4-2-3-1. Mostly, it's how you set up within the tactic though.

Hi,

When I play this game, the tactics on itself do kinda make sense to me. The tactics I come up with aren't terribly bad I think, but I know I have to tweak things as well during the games as between them, but I can never see WHAT exactly I need to tweak. How can I see what my team needs?

Hi,

When I play this game, the tactics on itself do kinda make sense to me. The tactics I come up with aren't terribly bad I think, but I know I have to tweak things as well during the games as between them, but I can never see WHAT exactly I need to tweak. How can I see what my team needs?
Watch matches. There's not too much more to say, other than that. How else would you know what is going on and therefor what to change?