WJ, just wanna get your opinion on how to play against teams that play very wide?

WJ, just wanna get your opinion on how to play against teams that play very wide?
How wide an opponent plays, doesn't affect what I do at all. If they play wide, their middle will be more open, so focus on that?

The widest the witdh slider allows us to go. Well yes they leave gaps in the middle but when they have the ball they tend to pull my team formation off and I end up leaving gaps chasing to retrieve the ball. If I change to make my players to stick to formation the ball gets whip in from wide and that's how I concede goals more

When playing direct counter attacking football is it best to use a DLP or an AP as the main creator in the team?

When playing direct counter attacking football is it best to use a DLP or an AP as the main creator in the team?
There is no best. Whether you want a deep creator to set the wheels in motion initially or an advanced creator who is a focal point up front is up to you.

LLM advice

currently in league 1, really enjoy using a complete forward but its hard to find them in lower leagues, which role should I use instead?

I can't post a new thread on this board (which is the purpose of me joining) it says I have too many URLs? How do I fix that

currently in league 1, really enjoy using a complete forward but its hard to find them in lower leagues, which role should I use instead?
Complete forwards aren't going to be perfect. Either find a good fit or use another role. I can't tell you what to choose because I don't know what team, which players you have and what they're good at or the tactic and what you need the forward to do. If you're not sure, use a general role, like AF or DLF.

Counter attack!

Could somebody please tell me everything I need to know about the actual "counter attack" in the match engine, (not looking for a counter attacking tactic). For example when do they activate a "counter attack" how many players are involved in it and how does it affect the players.

i think I am right in saying they only "activate" in counter, defensive and overload mentalities?

thank you

Counter attack!

Could somebody please tell me everything I need to know about the actual "counter attack" in the match engine, (not looking for a counter attacking tactic). For example when do they activate a "counter attack" how many players are involved in it and how does it affect the players.

i think I am right in saying they only "activate" in counter, defensive and overload mentalities?

thank you

https://sisportscentre.com/the-art-of-counter-attacking-football/

Thanks. I have had a read and still have a couple more questions. Am I right in saying that if I played a 4-1-4-1 with my st being a defensive forward (d) would be the best option as he will help out defend and in transition of the counter he will then max out his forward runs etc and try to run off the shoulder of their defence to get the ball in behind like an advanced forward would? Please let me know.

my other question is by what number is "X" meaning specifically when will the game activate a counter attack?

Thanks. I have had a read and still have a couple more questions. Am I right in saying that if I played a 4-1-4-1 with my st being a defensive forward (d) would be the best option as he will help out defend and in transition of the counter he will then max out his forward runs etc and try to run off the shoulder of their defence to get the ball in behind like an advanced forward would? Please let me know.

my other question is by what number is "X" meaning specifically when will the game activate a counter attack?

There no set number, the game will intiate as per the team setup and players to see the pass. direct passing, players to see and make it. The team will look for it, everytime the ball is won in your own half by default, but they might make the option depending on the player with the ball and the runs of those without it.

Depends on the forward and how he is setup, does he have the PPM tries to beat offside? how far back is he tracking the cbs on the defensive side, does his workrate mean he is always chasing, he may not be in position on th shoulder to make the run when the ball is run if he is the one winning it.

1 - a DF-D is specifically asked not to make forward runs. I don't see why this would be any different during a counter attack. He'll take up aggressive positions, yes, but I doubt you'll see actual runs made.

2 - A counter attack will trigger when there's an opportunity to do so, mostly when the opposition has over-committed.

1 - a DF-D is specifically asked not to make forward runs. I don't see why this would be any different during a counter attack. He'll take up aggressive positions, yes, but I doubt you'll see actual runs made.

2 - A counter attack will trigger when there's an opportunity to do so, mostly when the opposition has over-committed.

so what would be the best type of role to use for a forward who will work hard defensively out of possession but then allow the trigger of the counter attack to max out his forward runs meaning that he is ready to recieve a through bal I'm behind the defence on the counter? Like the role greizman played against Barcelona in the second leg, out of possession he was like a df-d and as soon as atletico won the ball back he would sprint up the pitch usually running into a channel to recieve a through ball which would be the same type of process as "maxing forward runs" when the counter has started

There no set number, the game will intiate as per the team setup and players to see the pass. direct passing, players to see and make it. The team will look for it, everytime the ball is won in your own half by default, but they might make the option depending on the player with the ball and the runs of those without it.

Depends on the forward and how he is setup, does he have the PPM tries to beat offside? how far back is he tracking the cbs on the defensive side, does his workrate mean he is always chasing, he may not be in position on th shoulder to make the run when the ball is run if he is the one winning it.

ive not actually made this tactic so I have no forwards to comment on, I just had a little theory to think the best possible defensive formation I could make would be using defensive wingers on defend and a defensive forward on defend with three defensively roled midfielders in the centre and my theory was to think that when I win the ball back and a counter activates, they would still get themself forward to support the counter maxing forward runs, through balls and mentality etc. So the team would be VERY VERY defensive, however once they're on the break then they would still have adequate numbers breaking. However I do feel that I could have more knowledge on this

ive not actually made this tactic so I have no forwards to comment on, I just had a little theory to think the best possible defensive formation I could make would be using defensive wingers on defend and a defensive forward on defend with three defensively roled midfielders in the centre and my theory was to think that when I win the ball back and a counter activates, they would still get themself forward to support the counter maxing forward runs, through balls and mentality etc. So the team would be VERY VERY defensive, however once they're on the break then they would still have adequate numbers breaking. However I do feel that I could have more knowledge on this

Yeah ive seen the theory before, it will entirely depend on players, fitness and shape when and where the ball is won.

Yeah ive seen the theory before, it will entirely depend on players, fitness and shape when and where the ball is won.

Thanks for the help with the replies, but another thing is do you know where the ball has to be done for them to activate? Should I try to with the ball back early in my half so I'm pressing a bit more or should I drop as deep as I can to leave as much space possible in behind? Or would this just be completely down to the game/ME deciding?

so what would be the best type of role to use for a forward who will work hard defensively out of possession but then allow the trigger of the counter attack to max out his forward runs meaning that he is ready to recieve a through bal I'm behind the defence on the counter? Like the role greizman played against Barcelona in the second leg, out of possession he was like a df-d and as soon as atletico won the ball back he would sprint up the pitch usually running into a channel to recieve a through ball which would be the same type of process as "maxing forward runs" when the counter has started
Just try a DF-D first?

Just try a DF-D first?

Right im going to give this a try. In theory I should possible be able to get the following tactic to work however I'm not 100% confident that I will

gk d
rb (fb) d cb d cb d lb (fb) d
dm anchor man
rm (dw) d cm (d) cm (d) lm (dw) d
st (df) d

structured, narrow, deepest d-line, closing down much less, stay on feet, play out of defence, shorter passing, retain possession, more disciplined, dribble less and stick to positions.

do you think this could be physically possible bearing that the team had players capable to do so? The idea would obviously be to keep the ball as best possible when they have the ball in open possession and then as soon as we win the ball back, hope the counter triggers and then even the defensive minded midfielders, wingers and striker should by theory get forward for the counter? For some reason I feel this will not work however I don't know why it shouldn't as by theory everything adds up to my knowledge