Super Bowl 2011

You sir have just ruined some of the match for me.:(

sorry lol. not a bad thing though. rain and snow forecast, which i think could ruin the pyro's for pre-game and half time show

Wow, I didn't know so many people in Britain actually watched Gridiron!!!

For those of you new to the sport, check out some regular season or playoff games. They tend to be much better. The Super Bowl is often times boring football. The teams have had too much time off so they're rusty and overprepared. The game is incredibly scripted, the first 20-30 plays are totally planned. And this means that it's way too conservative, too. On top of that you have an absurd amount of commercials since it's the biggest sporting event in America.

It's a great sport though, extremely tactical and some of the world's best athletes play there.

I used to played American Football for 2 teams, and I can tell you one thing I discovered-the armor isn't as great as people make out. And the helmet can be very dangerous-thats why tackling using the helmet is outlawed in the NFL

There are gridiron teams in the UK???????

Follow the Steelers in the NFL so hoping they'll get another Superbowl win! :)

Ill start watching this sport when americans stop saying soccer and start saying football, irritates me so much lol

Ill start watching this sport when americans stop saying soccer and start saying football, irritates me so much lol

The next time I hear someone complain about this I'm going to bang my head into a wall. Ironic because it's always Englishmen.

It was originally called association football to distinguish itself from rugby football, also known as assoc. football for short. This is where the term soccer came from. When rugby became big in Australia, New Zealand, etc. and a variation of rugby became big in the US, these sports eventually became known as football, while assoc. football became known as soccer. That's why in these countries, football is soccer, and the word 'football' describes another sport. We're not going to completely change the names of our most popular sports just because the English want us to.

When people argue that they call it football in other languages as well, ir simply shows how poor their foreign language skills are. In Spanish, it's called 'futbol.' I've heard British people actually argue that this means 'football' in Spanish. Except that in Spanish, foot is 'pie,' and ball is 'pelota' or balón.' The word 'futbol' is completely nonsensical, it's just a hispanicization of the word football. In Brazilian, it's 'futebol,' and it's the same thing, it's a completely nonsensical word. In Italian, they call it 'calcio,' which means heel.

In short, different countries have different words for the sport, get over it.

On-topic: I hope the Steelers win, they're my second favorite team and the best run franchise in the sport's history. They've won the most superbowls, only change coaches about once every decade (they've had 4 coaches in the past 40 years or something like that, and Tomlin just started and should be around for a while), and they play the game how it should be: hard-hitting, smashmouth football, with a great defense and great clock-management. Not always the most entertaining or prettiest to watch, but that's what Gridiron is about. If you want to watch an asthetically pleasing sport, go watch a Barcelona game.

On-topic: I hope the Steelers win, they're my second favorite team and the best run franchise in the sport's history. They've won the most superbowls, only change coaches about once every decade (they've had 4 coaches in the past 40 years or something like that, and Tomlin just started and should be around for a while), and they play the game how it should be: hard-hitting, smashmouth football, with a great defense and great clock-management. Not always the most entertaining or prettiest to watch, but that's what Gridiron is about. If you want to watch an asthetically pleasing sport, go watch a Barcelona game.

The Packers have 12 championships and are only just over a decade older than the Steelers. Just sayin'

YouTube - Clay Matthews Sacks Highlights

Last edited:
The Packers have 12 championships and are only just over a decade older than the Steelers. Just sayin'

True, in the pre-super Bowl era they were definitely the best run and biggest team. Still are a great franchise. But the Steelers' success and consistensy over the past 4-5 decades is pretty amazing, especially considering they were never a financial powerhouse.

My favorite team though is the 49ers...which has been tough this decade.

It should be a great game this year though, both teams are very good.

My step-mum is from Wisconsin and we have a house there so we're having a super bowl party tonight!

Wow, I didn't know so many people in Britain actually watched Gridiron!!!

For those of you new to the sport, check out some regular season or playoff games. They tend to be much better. The Super Bowl is often times boring football. The teams have had too much time off so they're rusty and overprepared. The game is incredibly scripted, the first 20-30 plays are totally planned. And this means that it's way too conservative, too. On top of that you have an absurd amount of commercials since it's the biggest sporting event in America.

It's a great sport though, extremely tactical and some of the world's best athletes play there.

There are gridiron teams in the UK???????

Yeah I was LCB/FS for Gateshead and Chester-le-street

However, slightly off-topic, totally disagree with it being scripted. Far from. Example, in the Bills v Redskins Superbowl, it was meant to be real close-until RB Thurman Thomas lost his helmet, and missed the first few plays putting a lot of pressure on QB Jim Kelly-result was a blowout for Redskins. Sometimes a two week break can be handy. It means players get a time to get over any injuries, so both teams have a chance to use full strength squads and make it a proper game. But scripted far from it. To prove it, just look at some of the recent Super Bowls. Rams V Titans was an outstanding ball game

Yeah I was LCB/FS for Gateshead and Chester-le-street

However, slightly off-topic, totally disagree with it being scripted. Far from. Example, in the Bills v Redskins Superbowl, it was meant to be real close-until RB Thurman Thomas lost his helmet, and missed the first few plays putting a lot of pressure on QB Jim Kelly-result was a blowout for Redskins. Sometimes a two week break can be handy. It means players get a time to get over any injuries, so both teams have a chance to use full strength squads and make it a proper game. But scripted far from it. To prove it, just look at some of the recent Super Bowls. Rams V Titans was an outstanding ball game

Cool! The two-week break is nice for injuries and resting the players, but it means that sometimes they're a bit out of rhythm, and the teams have too much time to prepare. What I meant by scripted was that the coaches choose their plays beforehand, like the first 20-30 plays are usually rehearsed during the weeks up to the game. There have been some good Super Bowls recently though. But playoff games are usually more exciting IMO.

Cool! The two-week break is nice for injuries and resting the players, but it means that sometimes they're a bit out of rhythm, and the teams have too much time to prepare. What I meant by scripted was that the coaches choose their plays beforehand, like the first 20-30 plays are usually rehearsed during the weeks up to the game. There have been some good Super Bowls recently though. But playoff games are usually more exciting IMO.

o that scripted lol. how many stick to them after 5-10 mins though when it goes pearshaped. suppose the 2 week break could make them rusty. Sort of like if theres a lengthy break in the prem because of meaningless friendlies for example lol

I'm not sure the Packers can. Driver is battling injury, and OLB Walden is also a doubt. If they struggle, Packers will struggle.