Tactic Testing League

• Thread starter Thread starter Will1981
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 216
  • Views Views 84K
Will are you sure this correct? Or is it 133? I find this disciplinary record quite surprising...

[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 520"]
[TR]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 196"]TACTIC[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 42"]PLD[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 50"]WON[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 47"]DRN[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 40"]LST[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 44"]FOR[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 35"]AG[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 72"]GD[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 39"]PTS[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 41"]YEL[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 45"]RED[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et2, width: 43"]GFC[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 196"]Gatling Project update[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 42"]50[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 50"]26[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 47"]13[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 40"]11[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 44"]106[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 35"]75[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 72"]31[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 39"]91[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 41"]33[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 45"]0[/TD]
[TD="class: cms_table_et1, width: 43"]11[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
I actually believe it's true, tried this tactic for a couple of matches. got 1 yellow card in 4 matches. Stopped to use the tactic as I realized it didn't cope well with my team.

It all HEAVILY depends on the teams you use, some teams just don't have the right players to fit a specific role. It also depends on the schedule you get, if you get an "easy" start, you're likely to keep winning streaks etc.. just from my experience with testing.

Will can you test mine with Leicester? I ran a test season myself with Leicester but I half arsed it more than you do, I didn't use a custom database, allowed transfers, injuries etc.. and ended up 7th eventually. I believe in my tactic a lot, it's only produced good results for me.

Last edited:
how come? TFF have so many tactic user said the tactic one of the best on this forum

Let's say you need to test and find out what is faster a bicycle or a Formula 1 car but you have no idea how to drive a Formula 1 car or even how to start its engine and because of it you wasn't able to make the Formula 1 car run but you passed the testing distance on the bicycle and after that you made a conclusion that a bicycle is much faster than a Formula 1 car... The similar anecdotal situation happens in Will's testing... :)

Will uses 2 buttons "Quick Pick" + "Instant Result" and it produces the anecdotal outcome.

For example, I see that during the testing of Devastator a defensive midfielder Andy King and a central midfielder N'Golo Kante that have just awful attacking attributes were used as Shadow Strikers... Heh, only after that fact there shouldn't be any further attention to this testing...

Just image what ware if Barcelona used Busquets and Mascherano instead of Messi and Suarez? How do you think would it had any impact on the performance?

Also, there's serious issue with "Quick Pick" in FM16 it picks players that have only 75% condition and even injured players which never happened in FM15 and it has a very serious impact on the result.

Any testing that made with "Quick Pick" option and with a team that doesn't players for different tactical approaches is just waste of time...

The level of intelligence behind "Quick Pick" option is at such low level that it only prevents from just an awful decision such not to pick GK to play Striker and that's all but as you can see it picks a defensive midfielder to play Shadow Striker…

Last edited:
Let's say you need to test and find out what is faster a bicycle or a Formula 1 car but you have no idea how to drive a Formula 1 car or even how to start its engine and because of it you wasn't able to make the Formula 1 car run but you passed the testing distance on the bicycle and after that you made a conclusion that a bicycle is much faster than a Formula 1 car... The similar anecdotal situation happens in Will's testing... :)

Will uses 2 buttons "Quick Pick" + "Instant Result" and it produces the anecdotal outcome.

For example, I see that during the testing of Devastator a defensive midfielder Andy King and a central midfielder N'Golo Kante that have just awful attacking attributes were used as Shadow Strikers... Heh, only after that fact there shouldn't be any further attention to this testing...

Just image what ware if Barcelona used Busquets and Mascherano instead of Messi and Suarez? How do you think would it had any impact on the performance?

Also, there's serious issue with "Quick Pick" in FM16 it picks players that have only 75% condition and even injured players which never happened in FM15 and it has a very serious impact on the result.

Any testing that made with "Quick Pick" option and with a team that doesn't players for different tactical approaches is just waste of time...

The level of intelligence behind "Quick Pick" option is at such low level that it only prevents from just an awful decision such not to pick GK to play Striker and that's all but as you can see it picks a defensive midfielder to play Shadow Striker…
agree on injury and Kante
but sacked?

agree on injury and Kante
but sacked?

when you use defensive midfielders at strikers' positions it might have any outcome...

Also not need to forget that the assistant manger also makes substitutions during matches and he might easily substituted ML/MR position at full backs or central midfielders I've seen it many times how assistant manger substitutes 3 key players after 45 min...

Testing with "Quick Pick" and "Instant Result" is no better than you just go on "Holiday" and go to sleep, especially, with a team that doesn't have players for different tactical approaches.

even quick pick is stupid, im sure they wont pick DM for striker
thats i know for sure

thats i know for sure

View attachment 203815

Andy King was used as Shadow Striker but his is a defensive minded central midfielder. His has a huge amount of his CA invested in the defensive attributes and he has the attacking attributes at very low level.

He is Xavi or Pirlo type player but you need totaly different type of player for Shadow Striker positions.

Last edited:
thats i know for sure

View attachment 203800

N'Golo Kante was used as the second Shadow Striker but he is also defensive minded central midfielders.

He has huge amount his CA invested in defensive attributes such Positioning, Marking, Tackling, Work Rate and others...

His "Finishing" is at ridiculous 10 level... but Shadow Strikers are supposed to be the main goal scores in the tactic.

View attachment 994046

N'Golo Kante was used as the second Shadow Striker but he is also defensive minded central midfielders.

He has huge amount his CA invested in defensive attributes such Positioning, Marking, Tackling, Work Rate and others...

His "Finishing" is at ridiculous 10 level... but Shadow Strikers are supposed to be the main goal scores in the tactic.

what i meant striker is ST position, not AMC

we have different opinion about this since last year
my opinion if the player can play in AMC, they can use any role in that position (even if not great because of attribute)

note: i didnt know your tactic strikerless

Unfortunately we don't get much back by testing tactics this way. I did the same as you did Will, using the most consistent options available, like consistency 20, full fitness/morale/match prep for both teams, and playing 123 games between them with a tactic, and using simulated match with no match plan option on full FM. Got a so huge variation between goals/ccc for/against that each of the usual n=30 games sample brings different results. On one of them I got 1,2 points per match or such and 1,6 points per match on other 30.

That amount of randomness on the outcomes shows that we can't heavy rely on instant result (on full FM at least). I tested 9 tactics with 30 matches each against the same team, reloading, one of them I used "most vulnerable to" formation, just by setting to formation on default tactics, and to my surprise this zero instructions default formation with default roles got similar points compared to the most famous tactics on this forum.

I also tested for a bit playing against that team making all players of them a legend (20 on all attributes), the outcome was as expected, 9-0 to 15-0 results whatever the tactic I used. Meaning that most important of all anyway is to have a strong squad instead of a great tactic, that may not exist. Squad building may be much more important.

One test I still plan to do, now that FMRTE can be used on FM Touch is to do the same tests on FM Touch, that has built-in Instant result. Maybe it's less random than it's counterpart on FM Full, only alive by a skin.

New Testing Database consisting of 6 completely equal teams made of of the top 32 english players.

Each tactic will play 10 games against the 5 most commonly used AI formations.

Thanks buddy

I don't understand what the fuzz is all about. Will clearly stated that his test is only to determine which tactic is best FOR LEICESTER, not for any team. If a tactic does bad in this test, it only means that it is bad FOR LEICESTER, not bad overall...

And learn to respect the hours Will has put into finding the best tactic for Leicester, and that he is willing to share his results with you guys :)

Btw Will, I have a suggestion for you! If you set all the players' age to 17 (in FMRTE you can change this), then you don't have to register anyone, meaning you can have a really big squad for each team (to have all possible roles covered equally good).

Hey Will! If you decide to do some more testing, could you please test my latest one? This one has attack like the 3-4-3 and defensive inspiration from the Mahluk tactic. The end result has been mindblowing in my testing, but due to RNG and other things, it is good to test tactics in several different environments.

Last edited:
New Testing Database consisting of 6 teams playing each other 10 times.

I will be using the Premier League team (Media Prediction 2nd) for my testing.

Back