Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

English Premier League - Game - Manchester United (Home)

Manchester United were soundly beaten 3-0 by Chelsea last week, so will be itching to rebound from that performance today - though they went some way towards making amends by knocking Chelsea out of the League Cup a few days later. The media are still suggesting that LVG could be in for the sack if we beat them today - I’d love to be the man to hammer the final nail in that coffin! Arsenal and Chelsea both lost yesterday, meaning that a win today would draw us level with the pair of them, just two points behind leaders Manchester City. I’d still consider us underdogs though.

In the 7th minute a brilliant ball over the top from Ward-Prowse found Rodriguez, who shredded both Darmian and Smalling but was denied at the near post by De Gea.

3 minutes later and we were behind as Memphis sent a 25 yard rocket into the top corner. No chance whatsoever.

In the 13th minute Juanmi tried to lob De Gea from 40 yards but the Spanish custodian back-pedalled quickly enough to catch it comfortably.

In the 17th minute Ward-Prowse cleverly found Juanmi with a free kick, but his shot was parried around the post by De Gea.

We were parked in United’s half but couldn’t find the breakthrough, and in the 29th minute we were made to pay, as they launched a scintillating and completely un-Manchester United-like counter, which was finished off by Ashley Young.

Ramirez replaced Mane in the 56th minute.

Tadic replaced Juanmi on the other wing in the 67th.

Romeu replaced Clasie in the 71st minute, and we moved to a 4-2-3-1 with Ward-Prowse as the number 10.

Our desperation long ball football reaped no rewards in the last 20 minutes though, as we slumped to a disappointing home defeat.

I hate losing to Manchester United, and I let the team know how displeased I was. We couldn’t translate our early dominance into goals and were punished by a screamer and a counter attack, and unable to make the breakthrough when chasing the game. LVG lives to fight another day.

POM: Memphis Depay (8.3, 1G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Jordy Clasie (6.9, 0G, 0A)

Who needs Arbeloa ? I ma sure that one of your regens will do the trick ha ha !!!

Who needs Arbeloa ? I ma sure that one of your regens will do the trick ha ha !!!

He was going to be available cheaply and could offer cover at both fullback positions so would have been handy for half a season. I don't think I'm going to have much of a transfer budget until the end of the season, haven't got any email about expectations, budgets or anything and I'm mid December!

UEFA Europa League Group Stage - Game 6 - Borussia Dortmund (Away)

A draw against Dortmund today will see us finish top of the pile in our group. Qualification is assured though, so a loss wouldn’t be too damaging really, other than the morale loss suffered from two consecutive defeats.

In the second minute we fell behind. Cuco Martina decided it would be a good idea to make a run for the centre of the opposition box himself, and was promptly dispossessed. A long ball to their left wing saw us scrambling back to cover, and a low cross was turned in at the far post by Aubameyang.

Kagawa doubled their lead in the 10th minute from just outside the box with a fine strike.

Aubameyang made it three in the 15th minute after being left unmarked in the box when we cleared a corner.

We pulled one back in the 19th minute when Rodriguez raced onto Tadic’s lovely through ball and finished past Burki.

Aubameyang completed his hat trick in the 34th by cutting back inside from the baseline and leaving Targett and Fonte for dead before slotting home.

In the 59th minute Bertrand, Ramirez and Ward-Prowse replaced Targett, Mane and Juanmi, with Tadic moving to the left wing so Ward-Prowse could play behind the striker.

9 minutes later, Ramirez slipped a nice pass into Rodriguez for his second.

Kagawa had his second and Dortmund’s 5th in the 78th with another great finish, high off the post.

He almost had a hat trick in the 85th but Stekelenburg made a great save.

Completely outclassed today, as our defence was torn to shreds by a Dortmund side missing Marco Reus. Rodriguez can hold his head high after a pair of fine finishes, but everybody else really needs to step up their game.

POM: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (9.6, 3G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Jay Rodriguez (8.8, 2G, 0A)

He was going to be available cheaply and could offer cover at both fullback positions so would have been handy for half a season. I don't think I'm going to have much of a transfer budget until the end of the season, haven't got any email about expectations, budgets or anything and I'm mid December!

Maybe you should search for players listed for loan or you could try play James Ward-Prowse as a RB when its needed what do you think ?

Maybe you should search for players listed for loan or you could try play James Ward-Prowse as a RB when its needed what do you think ?

Yeah Ward-Prowse and Yoshida have been covering but I'd like a natural RB, I'll be looking around in January :)

English Premier League - Game 16 - Aston Villa (Home)

We should certainly be beating Aston Villa today - anything less will be a major disappointment. They have some dangerous players but sit 17th on the ladder, and we have a superior side when we play to the best of our ability. Our defence has been shaken up after the poor performance against Dortmund, with only Fonte keeping his place.

Juanmi was inches from opening the scoring with a sensational solo effort in the 2nd minute, but his shot struck the far post and bounced clear.

30 seconds later the little Spaniard slipped Jay Rodriguez in, but the striker’s first time shot was held by Guzan. Disappointing effort.

In the 11th minute Rodriguez made up for his early miss by running the channel and drilling home from Tadic’s excellent pass.

In the 18th minute it was two, as Rodriguez turned provider for Juanmi, who slid a composed finish past Guzan.

In the 21st minute it should have been 3 as Rodriguez drew two men and released Tadic, who somehow managed to trickle his shot wide with just Guzan to beat from straight in front.

Ward-Prowse and Van Dijk replaced Ramirez and Caulker in the 62nd minute.

In the 71st minute Mane replaced Juanmi, who went to the right wing, shifting both Ward-Prowse and Tadic across.

In the 75th minute some slack defending allowed Agbonlahor to control a cross and finish past Stekelenburg with the aid of a deflection off Bertrand, to halve our lead.

Van Dijk was injured in the 77th minute but I couldn’t afford to play a man short so he stayed on.

Stekelenburg tipped N’Zogbia’s 79th minute rocket over the bar as Aston Villa searched for an equaliser.

Luckily, they couldn’t find it.

The result was slightly too close for comfort in the end, but we got the result we needed, mostly thanks to the outstanding Rodriguez and his impressive sidekick Juanmi. The table is incredibly tight, and winning our game in hand could see us rise to equal second with Arsenal and Chelsea.

POM: Jay Rodriguez (8.7, 1G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 17 - Sunderland (Away)

Another game which we are definitely expecting to win. Sunderland are 16th in the league, and despite some rotation, we still should have enough quality to pick up another 3 points today. Florin Gardos is in the squad for the first time in my tenure, as he has returned from his long term injury and is able to make the bench.

Adam Johnson incredibly blasted high and wide after Defoe played him in perfectly in the 11th minute.

In the 25th minute Defoe dispossessed Yoshida and raced clean through on goal, making no mistake in slotting past Stekelenburg.

In the 29th minute Martina went off injured. Gardos replaced him, and Yoshida moved to right back.

In stoppage time Juanmi embarked on an excellent run before chipping the ball through for Mane, who somehow fired straight at Pantilimon when he should have scored.

Juanmi tested Pantilimon with an excellent snapshot 30 seconds after the interval, but the keeper palmed it wide.

In the 49th minute Tadic and Rodriguez replaced Mane and Pelle, with Ramirez shifting to the right wing.

In the 59th minute Yoshida played in Ramirez, who hit the post. As I was busy cursing our luck, in the ensuing penalty box melee, Rodriguez managed to knock the ball home and tie the game!

In the 90th minute Juanmi was forced off by injury.

We just weren’t good enough today, and Sunderland managed to hold us to a deserved draw. Pelle just isn’t doing the business up top, and Mane has failed to reignite since returning from injury. Pantilimon picked up the man of the match award for Sunderland, which is particularly frustrating. Things are going to need to pick up, as we travel to Liverpool and Arsenal next, before Sunderland again just two days after the trip to the Emirates. At least Gardos was encouraging off the bench.

POM: Costel Pantilimon (Sunderland - 7.6, 1 conceded, 5 saves)

Best Southampton Player: Florin Gardos (7.1, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 18 - Liverpool (Away)

Huge game today against Liverpool. Ward-Prowse steps into the breach at right back and will look to keep Coutinho quiet if possible. Juanmi wasn’t fit enough to make the bench today, but will hopefully be okay for the trip to Arsenal.

In the 13th minute a Ward-Prowse cross took a deflection and suddenly Liverpool countered. Benteke swung a long ball across to Coutinho, who fired straight at Stekelenburg - who dropped it! And before he could recover, Firmino swooped in and fired Liverpool in front.

In the 24th minute Tadic released Rodriguez with a great ball, and the striker raced through three men before being felled by Emre Can before he could shoot - penalty! Ramirez buried the penalty in the top left corner to square the game.

In the 43rd minute Coutinho swung a free kick in from wide on the right, and Sakho headed past Stekelenburg to restore Liverpool’s lead.

Coutinho had his second in the 48th minute, arriving late at the back post to emphatically head Clyne’s cross into the net.

Rodriguez pulled one back in the 52nd minute with a swivelling shot from Tadic’s pass.

Bertrand, Gardos and Ward-Prowse, three of the back four, were struggling, so they were replaced by Targett, Caulker and Yoshida in the 56th minute.

In the 60th minute Yoshida’s cross found Targett at the back post, but his volley was cleared off the line by Milner.

In the 77th minute a long ball found Sturridge in behind our defence, and in his scramble to get back, Fonte hacked him down and conceded a penalty. Firmino made no mistake.

Two minutes later and insane skill move from Firmino completely undressed both Yoshida and Fonte, the latter left on his hands and knees, and the Brazilian completed the play and his hat trick to seal the game.

Liverpool were far too good for us, and 6 of the 7 defenders we used ended with a rating of 6.4 or below. If I have to lose to somebody it might as well be the Reds, but that’s no consolation really. Struggling to see how we can manage even a draw against Arsenal at the Emirates in 3 days time.

POM: Roberto Firmino (Liverpool - 9.5, 3G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Jordy Clasie (8.1, 0G, 0A)

Tough break there mate. Anfield is always a hard place to pick up points.

Unlucky at Anfield mate, I'm sure things will click soon and you can go on a run of wins.

Love the layout and how easy it is to keep up dated with everything that's happening. :D

Maybe a bit of bad luck with that clearance off the line. Perhaps if that had gone in the story of the match might have changed. Still, while the scoreline is a heavy loss and they been better; I get the feeling they weren't that better.
Good luck with Arsenal.
Now back to catching up.

Tough break there mate. Anfield is always a hard place to pick up points.

Absolutely, a draw would be a great result there, and we gave them a game for a while at least

Unlucky at Anfield mate, I'm sure things will click soon and you can go on a run of wins.

Love the layout and how easy it is to keep up dated with everything that's happening. :D

Thanks mate, let's hope so! Very glad you're enjoying it and like the layout :)

Maybe a bit of bad luck with that clearance off the line. Perhaps if that had gone in the story of the match might have changed. Still, while the scoreline is a heavy loss and they been better; I get the feeling they weren't that better.
Good luck with Arsenal.
Now back to catching up.

Absolutely, could have been three all with momentum on our side, instead we conceded twice after being forced to chase the game. It was closer than 5-2 for sure. Hope you continue to enjoy reading :)

English Premier League - Game 19 - Arsenal (Away)

Arsenal are our hosts today, in another blockbuster clash, although considering our recent form it’s hard to see anything other than a Gunners victory today. Still, we can’t be completely written off, our players have quality, they just need to start showing it again.

In the 5th minute a corner was cleared and a long ball from Cazorla found Sanchez, who raced past Bertrand but hit the side netting.

A minute later Clasie found Tadic in the box with a great pass. Koscielny tackled him, but Mane hit the loose ball first time beyond Cech and into the net!

In the 10th minute Wanyama squared for Bertrand along the edge of the box, who slammed it, but Cech knocked it wide.

In the 11th minute Oxlade-Chamberlain scored the most ridiculous solo goal to tie the game. Keeping the ball alive in the bottom corner of the 18 yard box, he nutmegged Yoshida, cut inside Fonte and curled the ball around Stekelenburg from a sharp angle.

In the 26th minute some good passing led the ball to Rodriguez on the edge of the area, and he fired at the top corner, only to be denied by a ridiculous save from Cech.

In the 32nd minute finally some luck fell our way, as Cazorla hit the bar after Giroud cushioned a header to him inside the box. R

odriguez skinned Mertesacker in the 36th minute but sent his shot inches wide of the far post.

In the 40th minute we sprung a sensational counter attack, which culminated in Rodriguez sending a ball from the left wing to Mane on the right, and the winger cut inside two players before belting a shot which Cech got a hand to but couldn’t keep out! Fantastic goal!

A minute later the game was even again, as Oxlade-Chamberlain drilled a cross along the ground, and Giroud deflected it past Stekelenburg with contemptuous ease.

In the 50th minute a corner fell kindly for Cazorla, who smashed it into the post!

A minute later Romeu replaced Wanyama and Ramirez came on for Juanmi, shifting Tadic to the left wing.

In the 63rd minute Giroud was slide tackled very well by Yoshida, but the loose ball fell kindly for Sanchez, who chased it down and whipped a cross through the 6 yard box, and Oxlade-Chamberlain had his second.

Ward-Prowse replaced Yoshida in the 67th minute.

In the 82nd minute, with all our players thrown forward, Oxlade-Chamberlain sealed his hat trick - I’m convinced he was a mile offside, and Romeu received a yellow for arguing the same.

Alexis scored in the 85th to rub salt in the wounds.

Rodriguez hit the post in the 90th minute after latching onto one of our long balls.

20 seconds later he put the ball in the back of the net, but was ruled offside. Having watched replays of both offside calls, I am convinced that our goal should have stood and theirs should not have.

It wouldn’t have affected the result, but the scoreline would better reflect a game which we were always in until desperation football in the last 10 minutes left us exposed. They were not 3 goals better than us, and with a bit more luck we may have snatched a result. Very disappointed in the defence once again though, nobody is performing well at the back right now and changes may have to be made in January if things don’t improve fast. Oxlade-Chamberlain had the game of his life, which didn’t help either.

POM: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal - 9.6, 3G, 1A)

Best Southampton Player: Sadio Mane (8.8, 2G, 0A)

Back