Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

English Premier League - Game 30 - West Ham (Home)

West Ham are up next, and hopefully we can get back amongst the wins. They have a good side but we’re going to need to be taking maximum points from these types of teams if we’re to keep pace in the European qualifying race, as we still have some big teams to face where a draw will be a bonus! The Rodriguez on the bench is youngster Dario, not Jay.

In the third minute a through ball from Payet proved that the great Andy Carroll is not just a target man, as he raced onto it. Fortunately, he remains incapable of finishing, putting his tame effort wide with just Dragowski to beat.

In the 20th minute Ramirez showed him how it was done, putting us in front. Davis split the defence with a through ball for Luan, who cut it back to the Uruguayan, and he made no mistake from close range.

Carroll was so distressed by it all that he went off “injured” less than 10 minutes later.

Payet joined him shortly afterwards.

In the 41st minute West Ham launched a lightning counter and Jenkinson crossed for Moses, whose effort from two yards was unbelievably saved by a desperate Dragowski. Unfortunately, he could do nothing about the follow up effort.

A minute later Targett’s inch perfect cross found Ramirez at the back post, and with the whole goal to aim at, he hit it straight at the keeper! Criminal miss - Andy Carroll would be laughing if he were still on the field to do so.

In the 45th minute Ward-Prowse played a brilliant ball for the excellent run of Pelle, who nailed it to restore our lead - and vindicate my decision to play him.

In the 47th minute a Vlaar header from a corner hit the bar, and Targett cleared Moses’ followup header off the line.

In the 51st minute the impressive Targett provided another excellent cross, and Pelle had his second from 6 yards out.

Ward-Prowse had us 3 goals to the good 3 minutes later with a fantastic swivelling strike after some great passing between Luan, Ramirez and Davis.

In the 60th minute, with an eye on our next match, Tadic and Ramirez were replaced by youngsters Rodriguez and Gitschier. Ward-Prowse moved to the right wing.

In the 85th minute Ward-Prowse’s corner was belted goalwards by Van Dijk but cleared off the line by Lanzini.

Fantastic performance today, I can have no complaints whatsoever! Ward-Prowse had probably his best game under my tenure, with a goal and assist, and a match rating of 9 - unlucky not to pick up the man of the match award. Taking nothing away from Luan, who was outstanding, and Pelle of course has earned himself a start against Newcastle in 3 days.

POM: Luan (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Good win against the Hammers there and what a response from Pelle to his manager ha ha ha !!|)

English Premier League - Game 31 - Newcastle (Home)

Somehow we find ourselves in third place on the ladder heading into this match, although we’re just 3 points ahead of 7th placed Leicester. The table is so tight! Newcastle are a good side, but we’ll be looking to enter the international break on the back of another 3 points if possible. Pelle keeps his place up top after playing superbly against West Ham.

We started brightly with Coloccini forced into conceding a corner to block Pelle’s shot in the first minute.

Wanyama sent the ball whistling inches past the top corner after the corner was cleared but passed back to him.

In the 19th minute a one-two between Luan and Ramirez saw the Brazilian free in the box, and he finished the move from the back-heeled return pass to put us in front!

In the 43rd minute a flat cross from Dummett was converted at the back post by Thauvin to square the game again.

A minute later Ramirez criminally missed the target from inside the 6 yard box after Targett picked him out with a perfect cross. Inexplicable!

In the 54th minute Wanyama’s close range effort from a corner hit Krul, then the inside of the post, before being scooped up by the grateful keeper.

Davis replaced Ward-Prowse in the 58th minute.

Juanmi replaced Pelle in the 64th.

Gitschier replaced Ramirez in the 72nd minute and pushed Davis to the right wing.

We couldn’t find a way through.

Disappointment as a great performance against the Hammers was followed by a disappointing one against Newcastle. We could drop as low as 6th if Liverpool, Swansea and Man City win their games in hand, although we’d still be only a point off 3rd if that happened.

POM: Paul Dummett (Newcastle - 7.9, 0G, 1A)

Best Southampton Player: Victor Wanyama (7.4, 0G, 0A)

Romeu asked for first team football - understandably, but with Wanyama and Palombo both ahead of him in the pecking order, he will likely be sold at the end of the season. For now though, I satisfied him by mentioning Wanyama’s form.

Injury News...
International duty injury - fortunately not serious

A somewhat surprising appointment

It took a while, but I’ve finally been offered a new contract! After agreeing to find an affiliate club, and to remove the possession football philosophy, I signed a 3 year extension!

Ward-Prowse second in Young Player of the Month

Injury News...

Forster was in line to make his first appearance of the season for us, but on the day of the Watford game, he’s ruled out for another two weeks :(

English Premier League - Game 32 - Watford (Home)

Manchester City were held to a draw by Arsenal earlier in the day, which gives us a great opportunity to put some breathing space between us. We need to stop dropping points against these mid-table sides if we’re going to qualify. Juanmi and Rodriguez return to the starting lineup.

In the 5th minute that decision was vindicated, as Tadic, playing as a number 10 rather than a winger, slipped a perfect pass through for Rodriguez, and the striker turned his man and slotted past the keeper. Great start!

In the 8th minute Dragowski picked up the ball in the bottom corner of his box. He then lobbed it across goal towards Caulker, and Ibarbo raced in and nicked it, before firing into the open goal. No words.

In the 12th minute Tadic swung in a cross from the right, and Rodriguez volleyed - saved! Juanmi’s follow up - saved! Juanmi’s second follow up - post! The rebound was cleared for a corner.

In the 41st minute Watford worked the ball into our box, where Ibarbo squared for Deeney - saved! Great stop by Dragowski!

In the 56th minute Ramirez replaced Juanmi, moving Tadic back to the left wing.

Rodriguez had his second 4 minutes later, slotting home from a ridiculous angle after chasing down a Ward-Prowse through ball that appeared destined to go out for a goal kick!

Dario Rodriguez replaced Ward-Prowse in the 73rd minute.

Pelle replaced Tadic in the 82nd minute, moving Jay Rodriguez to the left wing.

It’s the first time in 12 appearances that the inexperienced Dragowski has made a telling mistake, but fortunately we managed to take all 3 points anyway. It’s a learning process, so I’m not too worried. Jay Rodriguez was fantastic, and hopefully this can kickstart a run of form again. We’ll see.

POM: Jay Rodriguez (8.8, 2G, 0A)

Congratulations for the new contract !!! You deserve a lot credit for keeping the team so high in the table despite the injuries !!

Just caught up and I must say what an incredible save so far. I thought that I had bad luck injury wise on my Bournemouth save but the amount of injuries that you have suffered is just insane. It also makes the things that you have achieved so far even more impressive! Keep it up :)

Congratulations for the new contract !!! You deserve a lot credit for keeping the team so high in the table despite the injuries !!

Thank you! I think the teams around me deserve most of the credit really, we've all just done as poorly as one another :P

Just caught up and I must say what an incredible save so far. I thought that I had bad luck injury wise on my Bournemouth save but the amount of injuries that you have suffered is just insane. It also makes the things that you have achieved so far even more impressive! Keep it up :)

Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying it and that's very kind of you to say so :) Injuries haven't been kind but it adds to the challenge so I don't mind too much - mostly :P I have to say I loved your story and was hoping to see it continue, or at least see you start a new one. Are you planning on either?

English Premier League - Game 33 - Swansea (Away)

This game is huge - Swansea are performing brilliantly in the league this season, quite similarly to ourselves, and are genuinely in the top 4 race. Should they win today they would leapfrog us on goal difference. Pelle returns up top whilst last game’s hero Rodriguez starts on the left wing.

15 seconds into the match Montero cut in from the left and curled a shot narrowly wide of the far post. I considered myself warned.

In the 9th minute Naughton attempted 3 crosses from the right. The first two came straight back to him, but the third found Sigurdsson, and the Icelandic international made no mistake, firing the Swans into the lead with a half-volley.

Ramirez replaced the ineffective Pelle in the 49th minute, shifting Tadic to the left and allowing Rodriguez to lead the line.

In the 55th minute Cazares was on for Ward-Prowse, moving Ramirez to the right wing.

A minute later Ramirez tied the game with a close range half-volley from Bertrand’s cross!

Clasie picked up a knock and was replaced by Davis in the 63rd minute.

In the 68th minute Ayew put the Swans back in front when Wilson found him in an almost certainly offside position. Replays showed I was correct, as you can see.

Dragowski made a good save after Wilson darted through the defence 3 minutes later.

A brilliant one-two between Wilson and Sigurdsson in the 74th saw the latter pick up his second goal with a composed finish.

The Swans were all over us, and only a brilliant stop from Dragowski in the 77th minute stopped their counter from a corner ending in a Wilson goal.

Seconds later though we were up the other end, and Fabianski made a full stretch stop to deny Ramirez after Rodriguez returned his pass into space. The ball was still alive though, and Cazares pulled it back to Tadic whose whipped cross was met by a bullet header from Rodriguez, and the keeper stood no chance from 6 yards!

A minute later we countered again, and Cazares’s ball over the top was brought down by Rodriguez but the defence got back to block his shot, and Wanyama blasted the rebound wide from range.

In the 88th minute Wanyama’s cross made it to Ramirez at the back post, and he finished it easily - but he was called offside!

In the 91st minute another swift counter attack saw Cazares play a sensational ball for Rodriguez, who timed his run perfectly and smashed it past Fabianski - but into the post! So unlucky!

In the 93rd minute Ramirez hit a long ball from behind halfway between the left back and centre back, and there was Rodriguez! He outmuscled Williams as he bore down on goal, and fired across Fabianski - goal!! Finally! After knocking on the door and appearing to have missed our chance, our talisman provided us with a dramatic equaliser!

What a turnaround! Swansea were by far the better team for 76 and a half minutes, and I would not have complained if we’d lost, despite an offside goal (which wasn’t mentioned post game, but look at the screenshot and tell me how that’s onside). But then we turned on the style and tore through them with ease time and again, and despite a disallowed goal and a post, we still didn’t give up, and found our equaliser! 5 more minutes and we could have had a winner! :P Sigurdsson may have been the official man of the match, but there’s no doubt that Rodriguez deserved it after digging us out of a hole today, ably assisted by Cazares and Ramirez, who both had a positive impact off the bench. Cedric had a shocker and Luan will likely return next game. Pelle was also disappointing.

POM: Gylfi Sigurdsson (Swansea - 9.0, 2G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Jay Rodriguez (8.8, 2G, 0A)

Still got my fingers crossed you can pip Arsenal and City to 2nd mate!

English Premier League - Game 34 - Leicester (Home)

Leicester are another side overachieving this year, much like in real life. They are 7th but only two points behind 5th place. Our forward line is reshuffled again, with Ramirez and Cazares joining the starting lineup, and Rodriguez moving back up top.

In the 6th minute captain Fonte scored just his second of the season! Davis’s free kick was headed by Rodriguez, to Tadic, to Fonte, whose effort was parried onto the post, but he converted the rebound.

In the 26th minute a glancing header from Rodriguez doubled our lead! Excellent cross from Tadic!

10 minutes later Rodriguez had two, showing a lightning turn of pace to burn Huth on the dribble, and then slot the ball past Schmeichel and inside the near post.

Ramirez joined the party two minutes later, leaping high above the pack to power home a header from another Tadic cross!

Seconds after the kickoff a long ball from Albrighton found Vardy in behind, but Dragowski made a brilliant one on one save to keep our clean sheet.

In the 44th minute Wanyama launched a ball over the top for Rodriguez, who raced goalwards and lobbed the keeper, but lobbed the goal too.

In the 50th minute a sensational run from Rodriguez saw him through the defence and fire a shot which Schmeichel parried, but only to Tadic, who had an open goal and made it 5!

In the 66th minute Gitschier and Dario Rodriguez replaced Cazares and Ramirez.

Palombo replaced a tired Van Dijk in the 68th minute.

In the 89th minute a great free kick from Fuchs was headed home at the back post by Morgan. Annoying way to throw away a clean sheet.

Could hardly have asked for a more complete performance as we absolutely schooled Leicester today! Tadic and Rodriguez caused havoc, with two assists and a goal for the former and the reverse for the latter - his third consecutive brace! Each had a rating of 9.3, and Rodriguez now has the best minutes-to-goals ratio in the entire league! The rest of the team was excellent too, and this is a brilliant performance and result. Bottom of the table (and winless after 34 games) Bournemouth held City to a draw at the Etihad, as you can see, and so we go to third in the table, equal with second placed Arsenal, who have two games in hand.

POM: Jay Rodriguez (9.3, 2G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 35 - Manchester United (Away)

Finally Fraser Forster is able to play for us! He is the sole change to the side that thrashed Leicester, and I would love nothing more than to repeat that performance and result at Old Trafford against Manchester United! They’ve performed well below expectations this season, but beat us last time out and are still the favourites on paper. We have tended to struggle to carry the momentum of a great performance into our next match this season, but hopefully that will change tonight.

In just the fourth minute we fell behind though, as a Berahino cross somehow eluded everybody except Pratto, who made no error from close range. Fonte just watched it go straight past him.

Berahino had their second in the 10th minute, also from close range after some more poor defending.

An atrocious giveaway in the 35th minute saw Alonso through on goal, but Forster stood tall to make the save.

In the 38th minute we finally got on the board! Bertrand found Cazares in the box, who laid off to Tadic, and a chipped ball found Ramirez, who steadied himself and slid the ball past De Gea!

And in the 49th minute we drew level! Cazares whipped in a cross and Tadic met it and the back post and finished emphatically! Game on!

In the 64th minute Palombo and Ward-Prowse replaced Wanyama and Cazares.

In the 68th minute we scored arguably the smoothest goal of the season! Davis sprayed the ball out to Ramirez just inside the Man United half, and his first time ball split the defence perfectly and bounced into the path of Rodriguez, whose first time finish was just sublime!

Manchester were quite obviously rattled, and straight from the kickoff gave the ball away. Ramirez charged down the right and sent in an excellent cross, which Rodriguez crashed against the bar! It hit Blind and almost went in for an own goal but De Gea flung himself across and clawed it off the line!

A minute later Luan slid tackled Schneiderlin perfectly but the ball fell to Berahino, who belted it - saved by Forster! Schneiderlin was first to the rebound though, and fired home to tie the game again! His first ever Manchester United goal, and against his old club. Couldn’t have timed it worse :(

Cedric replaced Luan in the 71st minute.

Unfortunately we couldn’t retake the lead, and the game ended all square.

Our defence let us down today unfortunately, in a match where I felt we were the better side and definitely deserved to win it. The match stats might not show our dominance, but we played very direct all game, whilst they held the ball and did little with it for the most part. Our front three of Rodriguez, Tadic and Ramirez tore them to shreds, but poor defending ended up costing us. Still a great fight back, and if we’d picked up that 4th goal instead of hitting the bar, I am sure that we would have run away with the points.

POM: Jay Rodriguez (8.3, 1G, 0A)

Back