Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
You won't get an extra CL spot if I recall correctly. Only applies if the CL / EL winner don't make the top 4.

BTW: seems like you've gotten your shooting boots back! Goals flying in!

You won't get an extra CL spot if I recall correctly. Only applies if the CL / EL winner don't make the top 4.

BTW: seems like you've gotten your shooting boots back! Goals flying in!

I didn't think so, but would have been nice to be in with a shout :P

Definitely, subtle change to the mentality of the left winger seems to have helped, thank you for that!

A very good end of the season. After the start you had I didn't expect reaching Europa League qualification would be possible.

A very good end of the season. After the start you had I didn't expect reaching Europa League qualification would be possible.

I'm really quite shocked as well, because we have been so inconsistent! I guess everyone else has been too, fortunately :)

English Premier League - Game 37 - Arsenal (Home)

We can’t catch Arsenal, but a win today would almost assure us of 5th place, which is pretty good after a very up and down season. It’s not going to be easy though - Arsenal have had a good season, securing top 4 in the league, and still have the FA Cup and Champions League Finals to play. My bench selection is somewhat dictated by a handful of players being on international duty.

Arsenal’s crisp passing led to Sanchez teeing up Giroud in the 5th minute, and he found the bottom corner to open the scoring.

Two minutes later Ward-Prowse swung in a corner, and Jose Fonte sent an absolute bullet of a header back across goal into the top left corner to square things up again!

In the 10th minute a good switch of play allowed Clasie to find Augustinsson, but his shot from a tight angle was tipped wide by Cech.

In the 13th minute Casemiro was swarmed by 4 Saints, and the ball was sent forward to Tadic. He released Pjaca down the left with a lovely pass, and the winger raced forward before chipping a ball into the box for Milik, who hit the sweetest volley imaginable into the bottom right corner! I could watch that goal all day!

A 17th minute corner caused us all sorts of problems though. Koscielny’s initial header was saved by Dragowski, and Sanchez’s close range followup was also kept out by the brilliant keeper. Mertesacker then had a go from the rebound, but Augustinsson managed to get across and block his effort!

Dragowski made an extraordinary save on Coquelin in the 32nd minute after the midfielder had been slipped through by Giroud. He was practically behind Dragowski when he hit the ball, but the keeper managed to fling himself back and save it somehow!

Just a minute later Luan cut the ball back to Ward-Prowse, who sent in a cross for Pjaca. His volley was saved by a diving Cech, but the winger was alert to the rebound, and fired it home!

A minute later a dangerous long ball to Giroud was intercepted vitally by Fonte, and worked to Clasie. Still well inside his own half, he launched a sensational long range ball for Milik, who timed his run beautifully. He held off Mertesacker and Chambers before firing across Cech and finding the top right corner! Another incredible goal!

In the 37th minute a brilliant ball from Ramsay found Giroud at the back post, where Dragowski pulled off another amazing save - he was offside regardless, but Dragowski had no right to make that save!

In the 52nd minute Luan made what was probably his first error of the season, when he intercepted a long pass, but knocked it straight to Welbeck in the box. Welbeck wisely decided not to waste the chance by shooting himself and squared for Giroud, who simply had to score - but no, Dragowski was across to tip it around the post!

Unfortunately Sanchez decided it was time to do it all himself, and he weaved through the defence before burying the ball in the bottom corner in the 57th minute.

From the kickoff we ended up turning over the ball, and they swarmed forward. Giroud sent in a cross, which Augustinsson managed to get to ahead of Coquelin. His header went to Sanchez though, but luckily his volley hit the side netting.

Palombo replaced Tadic and went to DM in the 60th minute.

De Paul and Zivkovic replaced Pjaca and Ward-Prowse on the flanks in the 75th minute.

3 minutes later Dragowski came up with the goods once more, this time denying Welbeck from close range.

Sadly, the next minute Chambers’ cross was met by Luan and Fonte colliding. The ball fell perfectly for Welbeck, and even he couldn’t miss an open goal from 3 yards out. 4-3.

Thankfully, it stayed that way.

What a crazy game! We have Dragowski to thank for bailing us out time and time again, and a match rating of 8.9 despite conceding 3 goals says it all. Their 5 CCC’s and 5 half chances came to just 3 goals! Our attack was blistering in the first half though, with Milik and Pjaca once again in lethal touch. The POM award should have gone to Dragowski, or even Milik, before Sanchez. Still a great result - much better than when we played these guys at the end of last season!

POM: Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal, 9.0, 1G, 1A)

Best Southampton Players: Arkadiusz Milik (8.9, 2G, 0A) and Bartlomiej Dragowski (8.9, 8 saves, 3 conceded)

English Premier League - Game 38 - Everton FC (Away)

Our last match of the season is a tough one. Everton are still chasing Europa League qualification, so this is an important match. I’ve got some youth players on the bench, although Balic, Gitschier and Upamecano are still away.

Lukaku rattled the crossbar with a powerful effort in the 10th minute.

3 minutes later Lukaku sent in a low cross for Mehmedi straight in front, but Dragowski denied him from point blank range!

It was Milik who opened the scoring though, Wanyama finding him with a lovely pass in the 30th minute, and the striker finished with ease.

Tadic slipped a great ball through for Milik in the 44th, and the striker was denied at close range. Lavezzi then threw himself in front of Pjaca to deflect his effort from the rebound wide.

A poorly defended corner was put back into the box by Mirallas, and Lavezzi tapped in at the back post in stoppage time. Looked offside to me!

A ricochet in the box in the 54th minute fell kindly for Mehmedi, but Dragowski stuck out a leg to deny him once more.

Dario Rodriguez replaced Pjaca in the 63rd.

Radu picked up a knock, and so was replaced by Lovell in the 78th minute, the youngster making his first team debut!

Persson replaced Milik in the 82nd minute.

Not the best performance to end the season, but not the worst either. We probably could have snatched a win, but a point was all we needed to secure 5th - even a loss, we would have taken it on goal difference. Nice to give a couple of youngsters a run out too. Sadly, Aston Villa stayed up on goal difference after drawing their match.

POM: Victor Wanyama (8.6, 0G, 1A)

What a string of results after the Bayern game, Milik was on fire.. Congrats on 5th.

A pretty good season all-round with your Champions League run behind the highlight in my opinion. Here's hoping that you can keep a hold of your most important players. Also any news on the takeover front? I seriously can't imagine them wanting to replace you though as you've done a very impressive job so far.

A pretty good season all-round with your Champions League run behind the highlight in my opinion. Here's hoping that you can keep a hold of your most important players. Also any news on the takeover front? I seriously can't imagine them wanting to replace you though as you've done a very impressive job so far.

Definitely agree that our Champions League performances were the highlight. Nothing further as of yet with the takeover, I'll be sure to keep you updated though. The thing is, if they want to replace me then there's not much I can do, because it will be in the off-season so I can't impress them with results :/

Blackburn are now rolling in it!

Speaking of money, that’s an extremely healthy transfer budget I’ve been given. Still under an embargo though, and it could change if the takeover occurs.

I offered Luan a new contract after promising him that I would, but his work permit was denied! Not sure what will happen here. Particularly frustrating given that I was planning on giving him a new contract anyway, and so didn't actually need to promise him anything.

How do you always keep your players so happy with you, mine almost never come round to my way of thinking

How do you always keep your players so happy with you, mine almost never come round to my way of thinking

I don't even know, but you'll be pleased to hear that the next interaction hasn't gone so well :P

Dragowski wins Young Player of the Month, whilst Targett is runner up in Scotland’s version. I’m runner up for Manager of the Month.

Takeover talks continue. It’s nice to see the current owner’s got my back

Sevilla offer an interview. Considering how I’m trying to hold on to my Southampton job, and can’t interact with the board anyway, I decline.

Mancini ditches Liverpool in favour of a Man City return

Back