Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
Sad to see your Champions League campaign end. Have you tried 4-4-2 in Europe? Works brilliantly with Oxford for me

Yeah a pity but given Atleti's strength and our woeful form hardly a surprise. Not sure if I have, I was using 4-4-2 some time last season. Right now I just need to get wins somehow, not much is working at the moment!

Yeah a pity but given Atleti's strength and our woeful form hardly a surprise. Not sure if I have, I was using 4-4-2 some time last season. Right now I just need to get wins somehow, not much is working at the moment!

Tinkering with the tactic or match day training works mostly for me! You will turn it around with that brilliant Squad you have

Tinkering with the tactic or match day training works mostly for me! You will turn it around with that brilliant Squad you have

Yeah I'm sure we can find a way, we're not actually playing badly for the most part, just aren't scoring from any of our clear cut chances, become more aggressive in search of a goal and then get hit on the counter. Strikers have lost all confidence. Hopefully that will change :)

It's good to see you have a twelve points cushion from Arsenal, so qualifying for Champions League next season should not be that hard with nine matches left in the season.

It's good to see you have a twelve points cushion from Arsenal, so qualifying for Champions League next season should not be that hard with nine matches left in the season.

I think it's United, not Arsenal, but yeah your point stands. I'm fairly confident we will still finish top 4, it's just looking more likely that it will be 4th rather than 1st or 2nd.

English Premier League - Game 30 - Fulham FC (Home)

If we can’t beat Fulham at home, then we can write the season off. Surely we can pick up a confidence boosting win today. We face Arsenal at the Emirates next, and it will be tough even if we win today. We will have no chance if we don’t

In the 35th minute Clasie picked out Chambers, who beat Zoet, but hit the inside of the top corner near post, and it bounced across the goal and clear.

In the 41st minute we had our breakthrough, as a long, high cross from Chambers was headed in at close range by Pjaca! Time to defend.

Vietto’s excellent run in the 53rd minute ended in disappointment as he missed the near post by inches.

Tadic and Milik replaced Gitschier and Vietto in the 65th.

Prins replaced Asensio in the 77th, swapping with Tadic.

In the 82nd minute we were suddenly in danger, as Clasie’s needless foul on McCormack saw him earn a second yellow. Prins dropped into central midfield, whilst Tadic and Pjaca swapped sides and dropped to the midfield strata, in a 4-4-1 formation.

In stoppage time Jenkinson’s header from a corner hit the bar! That would have sucked.

Kurzawa put it behind for another corner, which was headed a mile over the bar.

Well we had little cutting edge up front, but our defence was solid and a win is a win! And a much needed one at that! Clasie’s red threatened to throw it away, but we held on for a vital three points. The beginning of a turnaround, or another false dawn. Arsenal at the Emirates next would suggest the latter.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.5, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 31 - Arsenal FC (Away)

A massive match away to Arsenal. Even if we somehow manage to win, we will still need them - and both Liverpool and Chelsea - to drop further points. We were far too good for the Gunners last time we played them, but we are unrecognisable from the side we were a few months ago. Here’s hoping Forster can step up in the absence of Dragowski. Laporte also misses out due to tiredness from international duty, whilst Clasie’s suspension hurts us in midfield.

Pjaca almost got us off to a flyer, but his header from Chambers’ cross after 20 seconds hit the side netting.

He then should have put us in front in the 7th minute after Kurzawa found him just outside the 6 yard box, but he fired straight at Cech.

Thankfully, we hadn’t run out of chances, and Vietto buried one in the 17th minute after great work by Asensio! Surprised the flag stayed down actually.

A minute later Koscielny produced an important near post block on Asensio. Piling on the pressure, therefore Arsenal will probably score next.

Balic had other ideas, and when a 25th minute corner was cleared, he stepped up to the edge of the box and picked out the bottom right corner with a glorious strike! Amazing, as I picked him today because of his hat trick from midfield he scored in a friendly during the break! And that’s his first senior goal for the club!

In the 43rd minute I was swooning as a gorgeous sequence of passing ended in Kurzawa’s low cross being clipped into the top corner on the half-volley by Vietto! Second of the game, as he’s turned up to play against his former club!

And in the 50th minute it was hat trick time for the Argentine striker, as he swivelled to pop Asensio’s pass into the bottom corner! Incredible stuff!

In the 52nd minute it was brilliance up the other end which was the order of the day, Forster somehow keeping out Belotti’s volley from 6 yards!

In the 55th minute Balic tried to split the defence for Pjaca, but Bellerin was too quick. He intercepted and tried to pass back to Cech, but only succeeded in setting up a fourth goal for Vietto, who takes his season tally to 20 goals! Extraordinary!

Süle missed a header near halfway in the 66th, and it was Coquelin who raced through to face Forster- denied!

Two minutes later Tadic replaced Pjaca.

Only a brilliant reflex save stopped Vietto adding his 5th in the 75th minute, as Asensio picked him out once more.

But then potential disaster, as Vietto picked up a knock! He was immediately replaced by Sindelar in the 81st minute. Wanyama also replaced Gitschier and pushed Balic up to attacking midfield.

Well I can honestly say I never saw that coming. Arsenal had the Premier League title in their hands, as they would have led the table had they won their extra games. Technically they still do, although Chelsea have the goal difference edge. That was a massacre! 3 years ago they pumped us 8-1 on this ground, but today we returned the favour in style! They must be regretting the decision to sell Vietto, as he made them pay with his maiden Saints hat trick, which became a four goal haul. That was truly one of our best ever performances. I just don’t know where it’s come from! Hopefully this signals the end of our horror run of form. Spurs at home next should give us the answer. I just have to hope Vietto is okay.

POM: Luciano Vietto (9.8, 4G, 0A)

Vietto most likely hurt his knee from all the extra celebrating he had to do against Arsenal!

Vietto most likely hurt his knee from all the extra celebrating he had to do against Arsenal!

Hahaha most likely. I'm annoyed because it was a perfect game up until that point and he'd hit some form, now he has to start again in two weeks

English Premier League - Game 32 - Tottenham Hotspur FC (Home)

Despite playing well against Arsenal, Forster is replaced by Dragowski, who is fit again and my undisputed number 1. Laporte returns in place of Cahill, whilst Milik starts up front in an enforced change due to Vietto’s injury. Balic keeps his midfield place ahead of Wanyama and Clasie. We have a good record against Spurs, though they’ve all been tight matches, but they have an excellent squad and are chasing a Europa League place.

In just the 3rd minute Pjaca slipped the ball to Gitschier, whose low effort went inches wide of the far post. Probably should have scored that.

In the 8th minute Gitschier ran at the defence, and Alli executed an excellent sliding tackle from behind. The ball went through to an unmarked Milik though, who had just Lloris to beat, but he couldn’t do it! The cynical side of me says Vietto would have buried that based on last week’s performance.

In the 27th minute Asensio’s corner found Laporte, who crashed his header off the bar! So unlucky!

In the 38th minute we finally had our opener! Kurzawa’s excellent cross was met by a bullet header from Asensio, which rippled the netting in the top corner!

Sindelar replaced Milik in the 56th minute.

Just 3 minutes later Gitschier picked up a knock. He was replaced by Wanyama, with the Kenyan slotting into central midfield. Ward-Prowse went to the right wing and Asensio to AMC.

De Paul replaced Pjaca in the 78th minute.

In the 85th minute Sindelar played the ball wide to Chambers, who swung in a first time return cross. Sindelar leapt and made an excellent connection, but his header, like Laporte’s earlier, came back off the bar!

Fortunately, we had enough to see the game out! An important win which goes some way to confirming our return to form. We weren’t clinical yet again, but a star-studded Spurs attack was dealt with comfortably by our defence, and we were rarely threatened. Asensio produced the goods to seal all three points and keep us firmly in the title hunt, though Arsenal still have the edge. Milik was ineffective up top, and I look forward to Vietto’s return, though Sindelar was unfortunate not to net off the bench.

POM: Marco Asensio (8.3, 1G, 0A)

Liverpool dropped their win. Now Chelsea and Arsenal need to do so.

How's the remaining schedule?

Injury News...

Gitschier will miss nearly a week, though he’ll probably be fit enough for the bench in our next match.

It seems we really gave Arsenal’s confidence a battering! They beat Everton 4-2, but then these two results! Ipswich have done brilliantly in recent weeks and are up to 11th in the table, whilst Man United are in formidable form right now.

Liverpool dropped their win. Now Chelsea and Arsenal need to do so.

How's the remaining schedule?

Swansea are next, on the road, and we have Manchester United, fairly certain away, at some point, as well as Liverpool on the last day. I'm pretty sure it's at Anfield. That match could be massive!

English Premier League - Game 33 - Swansea City (Away)

We’ve never lost to Swansea under my leadership in 8 meetings, winning 5 and drawing 3, but we’ve only once beaten them by more than a single goal. Swansea have been brilliant this season though, and sit 7th on the ladder, 3 points clear of Everton and 5 of Spurs. A couple of changes to the lineup, as Sindelar starts up top, Wanyama starts in midfield, shifting Ward-Prowse forwards and Asensio inside, Augustinsson rotates with Kurzawa, and Gitschier and Vietto return from injury to the bench.

In the 4th minute Asensio’s free kick from near the corner found Sindelar, whose powerful header found the net via Papastathopoulos. It went down as an own goal, which surprised me as it looked to be going in regardless.

In the 9th minute Swansea squared things up again, as Elabdellaoui’s crossed to Ramires, who cushioned a header for Eder to trickle the ball home. Very soft goal.

A Chambers cross in the 20th minute fell for Pjaca, but he fired straight at Evtimov, who pushed it away.

Balic played Asensio through in the 27th, but he couldn’t beat Evtimov at his near post.

In the 40th minute Ward-Prowse’s long cross should have been tapped in by Pjaca at the back post, but Evtimov somehow clawed it off the line! Brilliant save, but he shouldn’t have been given a chance.

At the break Ward-Prowse dropped into midfield, Balic moved forwards and Asensio went to the wing.

In the 51st minute, for the second time this season, Own Goal had a brace, this time courtesy of Mascherano, who obligingly slid in and turned Chambers’ low cross past his own keeper to restore our lead!

But 4 minutes later we were pegged back again, as Sigurdsson was given too much space. His shot was helped into the net by Dragowski, who should have done better.

In the 60th minute Sigurdsson would have had a second but for Dragowski, who made a great save from 6 yards.

The cavalry was summoned seconds later, as Tadic and a less-than-fully-fit Vietto replaced Pjaca and Sindelar.

Clasie replaced Balic in the 74th, moving Ward-Prowse forwards.

Asensio and Ward-Prowse switched in the 81st.

But we couldn’t find another breakthrough, as the Swans held us to a frustrating draw at the Liberty Stadium, despite excellent performances from Chambers and Asensio. Dragowski could have done much better with both goals in my opinion, and it’s frustrating that we couldn’t pick up all three points to keep our momentum going and the pressure on the rest of the title challengers. All three will go above us if they win their games in hand, though there’s still no more than two points in it.

POM: Gylfi Sigurdsson (8.4, 1G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Calum Chambers (8.2, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 34 - Newcastle United (Away)

This should be a routine win against Newcastle today, even on the road, but I’m still not fully convinced we’re back to our best. Hopefully the boys prove me wrong today. Vietto and Gitschier return to the starting lineup, along with Kurzawa.

Byram blasted wide from about 8 yards after being picked out by Aarons’ free kick in the opening minute.

In the 10th minute Haïdara saved a certain Asensio goal with a block, and Asenjo saved a certain Pjaca goal from the followup.

Asenjo was the hero once more in the 15th minute with a brilliant save to deny Asensio after a first time pass from Vietto.

I like Chancel Mbemba. After seeing us robbed of two goals, he decided to gift us one in the 43rd minute. He intercepted Gitschier’s through ball and redirected it into the path of Vietto - rather than his keeper - and the Argentine duly opened the scoring. I must say Vietto nicked it off the toes of Asenjo, to be fair to Mbemba.

In the 49th minute Asensio’s corner was cleared to Ward-Prowse. He chipped the ball back in to Vietto, who brought it down well and would have scored were it not for another top class Asenjo save. Fortunately, Gitschier reacted quickest to the loose ball and doubled our lead! Both returning players on the scoresheet!

It wasn’t all going to be smooth sailing though, as Kurzawa was injured in the 54th minute. Unsurprisingly, Augustinsson was his replacement.

In the 64th minute Asensio played a free kick from near the corner out to Ward-Prowse. He picked out Vietto with a low ball, and the striker turned in an arc before blasting a low shot which hit the inside of the post! So unlucky!

Two minutes later it was Asensio’s turn to be denied by the woodwork, this from a 20 metre free kick!

De Paul replaced Pjaca in the 74th.

Two minutes later Laporte’s excellent tackle on Rolan fell kindly for Ji Dong-Won, but he couldn’t beat Dragowski.

In the 81st minute Wanyama was replaced by Jurcik, who went to central defence. Süle moved into an unfamiliar defensive midfield role. I felt like experimenting.

Ward-Prowse picked up a knock in stoppage time and I opted to play a man short. Asensio dropped to midfield, Gitschier moved right, and Süle joined the defence as a third centre back.

We did enough to get back amongst the wins, and keep up our challenge. Chambers was man of the match with 8.4 in a performance with four 7.6 ratings and a 7.7 (Gitschier). There’s no doubt in my mind that Vietto was our best player though, as he was exceptionally unlucky not to add to his opening goal. Asensio was also unlucky as some good saves and the woodwork stopped him getting on the scoresheet, and 6.6 is very harsh, in my opinion. Good performance which sees us go temporarily top again. I hope Kurzawa and Ward-Prowse are okay.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.4, 0G, 0A)

Injury News...

Of course they're not. Both of them will miss multiple weeks. This robs us of two key players down the stretch, including arguably our most important in Ward-Prowse, who has been an ever present for us in the league this season. Two massive blows to our title chances.

We will be returning to the Champions League next season! A great achievement, but we have our eyes on a bigger prize.

Injury News...

But there’s more! Wanyama joins Ward-Prowse and Kurzawa on the sidelines for the next few weeks. This is disastrous!

​Yep, two injury updates in the one post!​

Last edited:
Back