Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
Just caught up, a close title race between you Liverpool and Chelski! Hopefully it all goes in your favour for the remaining games but good work regardless, congrats on securing champions league football again as well! :P

Just caught up, a close title race between you Liverpool and Chelski! Hopefully it all goes in your favour for the remaining games but good work regardless, congrats on securing champions league football again as well! :P

A four-way title race, doesn't get much closer than that! Arsenal are still in with a shot too. Thanks, it would have been a monumental disaster if we hadn't qualified from the position we were in, but it's good to have that in the bag :)

English Premier League - Game 35 - Ipswich Town (Home)

Well the big news today is that if we win, we will go level with Chelsea at the top of the league! Arsenal bounced back from their midweek loss to beat Liverpool, and Chelsea were held to a draw at Fulham, fighting desperately for survival. They’re missing Costa, who picked up an 8 month injury some time recently. Unless we win by 9 we will still be behind the Blues on goal difference though. The absences of Wanyama, Ward-Prowse and Kurzawa can hopefully be covered, but it will make a big difference. Larsson is on the bench as our best available defensive-minded midfielder after Clasie, and he’s joined by youth intake left back Humphries, who has yet to debut, as we have no other backup to Augustinsson. Asensio has shifted to midfield today, with Tadic taking his place on the right. Ipswich beat us in the middle of our hot streak in December,
and are sitting pretty in mid table, so can’t be taken lightly at all.

In the 13th minute Vietto half-volleyed Chambers’ cross off the underside of the crossbar! I thought it was in! The woodwork has not been friendly to us recently.

Dragowski turned a powerful Madden volley aside in the 25th minute.

In the 30th minute it was Pjaca whose powerful header put us in front, as another Chambers cross found it’s mark.

In the 49th minute I had a heart attack! Laporte passed back to Dragowski, who had plenty of time and space. He shanked his kick though, and it went low and was charged down by Madden. Madden then raced after the loose ball, as Dragowski scrambled desperately to get back. He didn’t make it…but Süle did, making up ground remarkably fast and saving a certain goal with a vital block!

Three minutes later the German was making a difference up the other end, passing back into the area for Gitschier after we regathered a cleared corner. Gitschier squared for Pjaca, who rifled inside the near post to double our lead!

In the 55th minute Süle should have had his reward for his brilliance, but his header after Laporte glanced a corner on to him, hit the bar! **** this woodwork!

In the 68th minute Pjaca leapt for a Chambers cross and was hauled to the ground! Penalty awarded. And the Croatian winger sealed his hat trick from the spot!

Sindelar and Larsson replaced Vietto and Clasie in the 74th minute.

Burgess was handed his debut in the 82nd minute, replacing Augustinsson.

Berisha fouled Gitschier in the 89th minute and was shown a second yellow.

An excellent performance as, despite the best efforts of the woodwork, we dismissed Ipswich to move level with Chelsea at the top of the league, two points clear of both Liverpool and Arsenal. Pjaca netted a hat trick in a superb performance, ably supported by many of his team mates. Too often he - or De Paul, my other left winger - is a bystander as the rest of my team gets the job done, but today he stepped up big time. Süle was my personal Man of the Match, robbing Ipswich of a certain goal, which would have tied the match and shaken our confidence. Goal difference could be massive here, and we’re 5 goals behind the Blues - the margin they beat us by on opening day.

POM: Marko Pjaca (9.5, 3G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 36 - Manchester United (Away)

A massive match today. I can’t even begin to describe how annoyed I would be if it were Manchester United who derailed our title challenge! They’re still pushing for 5th in the league, and hopefully we can help to prevent them reaching it. Liverpool were sadly stunned by Spurs at Anfield earlier today, putting their title challenge in serious jeopardy, and Chelsea host Arsenal in the late fixture, which is huge. A draw or an Arsenal win would be perfect, but I feel like Chelsea will have enough to take the points. No reason to change the lineup that saw off Ipswich last week. I hope the absences of Kurzawa, Wanyama and Ward-Prowse will not be too significant.

Vietto skinned Wimmer in the 8th minute on his way to the box, but De Gea made a brilliant save to stop him opening the scoring.

Herrera made a brilliant sliding block in the 12th minute after Asensio had dribbled into space and appeared destined to at least test De Gea.

Then, typically, disaster. Asensio was injured by Kaderabek in the 27th minute. My two best players, plus two first teamers, all injured. Big shoes for Balic to fill as he replaced Asensio.

But we continued to look far more dangerous than the Red Devils and we finally had our reward in the 33rd minute, as Tadic volleyed home emphatically from a lovely Augustinsson cross!

In the 46th minute it was a heart-in-the-mouth moment, as Özil’s long ball was intercepted but poorly controlled by Laporte, and Martial was through alone. He fired across Dragowski and wide of the far post.

De Paul and Milik replaced Pjaca and Vietto in the 66th minute.

In the 85th minute it was another heart attack, as our parked bus stalled and Özil got on the end of a Kaderabek cross, but Dragowski made the save from his close range volley. He then denied Mahrez from the sharpest of angles on the followup, and Laporte was there to block his tight angle effort from the rebound behind for a corner.

And we did it! A massive win at Old Trafford as our defence and keeper came up huge once again. Our attack was less than clinical once again, but a well-taken Tadic volley was enough to separate the two sides. Manchester United, after going unbeaten in 18 straight games in all competitions, have now lost their last 7 - albeit one on penalties, and one was a second leg loss which still saw them through. Süle has been rock solid recently, and since he has unlearned the “Dives into Tackles” Preferred Move, has stopped picking up so many bookings. He and Laporte have gone a long way to justifying their transfer fees this season, and hopefully will continue to do so for many years to come. Chambers has also continually vindicated my decision to move him to right back this season, displacing Cedric with consistently excellent performances. The main issue now is Asensio’s injury - we have to pray it’s not serious. We also eagerly await the outcome of Chelsea v Arsenal.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.5, 0G, 0A)

Injury News...

Asensio will miss 5 days. Our next game is in 6 days so he’s unlikely to start, but he should be fit for our crucial clash with Liverpool on the last day. The good news is that Ward-Prowse may be back for the game against cellar-dwelling Villa.

And Arsenal have done us a huge favour! I can scarcely believe it, but if we win our last two matches, we will win the Barclay’s Premier League!

English Premier League - Game 37 - Aston Villa FC (Home)

Chelsea lost!! 3-1 against Tottenham Hotspur at New White Hart Lane! They are choking! If we win one of our last two matches, the league is ours, and what better team to face than an already relegated Aston Villa side, playing for nothing but pride. Despite their massive financial resources they’ve flattered to deceive over the last few seasons and will now face a rebuild in the Championship next season. Ward-Prowse is back and replaces the injured Asensio in midfield, whilst De Paul is handed a start ahead of Pjaca on the left wing. Asensio is on the bench, despite only returning to training today, just in case. The title is now ours to lose. Let’s do this!

But Aston Villa hadn’t read the script, and turned up to crash the party. In the 3rd minute Amavi muscled his way past Chambers and put in a cross, which ricocheted off Süle and trickled agonisingly into the bottom corner. Own Goal turns traitor!

Time to show what we’re made of.

Chambers darted into the area in the 8th minute but was denied at the near post by Mariño.

In the 34th minute Gitschier should have levelled the score but missed the target after being picked out by a first time De Paul pass.

But for the second game straight it was Dusan Tadic who came up big for us, as he put the finishing touch on a sweeping counter attack with a close range effort from De Paul’s cross.

In the 42nd minute Aston Villa executed a devastating counter attack of their own, but Dragowski saved the day from El Ghazi’s close range volley.

And in the 56th minute we hit the lead! De Paul was once again involved in the buildup, as Augustinsson’s cross was cleared to Chambers, who passed it back inside to Tadic. Mariño got a hand to his shot but couldn’t keep it out!

Asensio replaced Gitschier in the 67th minute, swapping positions with Tadic.

Sindelar replaced Vietto in the 75th minute.

Larsson replaced Clasie in the 83rd minute.

And in the 89th minute we stretched the Villa defence with some excellent passing, and finally Chambers put a cross in. It was Sindelar who leapt highest to bury a header, and seal the English Premier League Title!

As much as I wanted the title to come down to the last day, I can’t help but be delighted. What an achievement! This was unthinkable after we were spanked 6-1 and 4-0 in the first 3 weeks of the season, but it has happened! Chambers picked up the Man of the Match Award yet again, but it should have gone to Dusan Tadic. Our vice-captain, and captain on the day, stepped up when it counted to first square the game after we went behind early, before putting us in front with his second. I can still scarcely believe it! De Paul also deserves a mention after grabbing his opportunity on the left wing. Both he and Pjaca have given me something to think about recently, as I have been seriously considering looking for a new first choice left wing.

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 2A)

Good job winning the BPL!! Big congrats! Keep it up good work so you can win UCL and retain the title! Just make sure your team will not be this seasons Chelsea! ;D

Very nice job mate, massive effort! Now to get that European title under your belt! ;)

Good job winning the BPL!! Big congrats! Keep it up good work so you can win UCL and retain the title! Just make sure your team will not be this seasons Chelsea! ;D

Thanks mate, I'm very surprised but pleased for sure. Retaining the title and then winning the Champions League are definitely our next goals. Got to avoid doing a Chelsea if possible :P

Very nice job mate, massive effort! Now to get that European title under your belt! ;)

Thanks mate. Champions League is the next hurdle for sure, I don't think I'd ever won Europa before but that's ticked off now. The domestic Cups would be nice as well after losing in the Final of each of them across the last two seasons.

Congratulations on winning the BPL! Fantastic achievement!

Cheers mate, completely unexpected too!

English Premier League - Game 38 - Liverpool FC (Away)

The final match of the season holds little significance for us, though it would be nice to end on a high note. A number of young players get a chance to impress, and Kurzawa starts on his return from injury. Palombo is on the bench as the retiring captain will hopefully get to appear one last time for the club. Liverpool have much more to play for than us, as they could leapfrog either Chelsea or Arsenal if either London outfit drops points. They do have bigger fish to fry though, as they play Atletico Madrid in the Champions League Final next week, having eliminated defending champions Juventus in the Semi Final on away goals.

In the 8th minute Aboubaker picked out Shaqiri, but he fired across the goal and wide.

In the 16th minute it was a brilliant Coutinho ball which picked out the Swiss winger, but Dragowski made the save.

A minute later a lovely one-two between Sindelar and Asensio freed the Czech striker, and he blasted home the opener!

Shaqiri was denied yet again by Dragowski in the 36th minute.

In the 53rd minute Bertrand’s clearance from a corner picked out Aboubaker near halfway, and he was off! He passed to Henderson, who found Shaqiri, but once more, he was frustrated by Dragowski, who turned his effort wide!

Shaqiri got some measure of revenge in the 59th minute when, instead of shooting from a similar position, he drilled a flat cross to Markovic, who nailed it to restore parity.

A minute later, Lovell’s header from an Asensio corner was cleared off the line by Coutinho!

Palombo and Muller replaced Larsson and Gitschier in the 68th minute. Ward-Prowse moved forward to make way for Muller.

Ward-Prowse was denied by a flying Mignolet in the 73rd after a great pass from Sindelar.

Prins replaced Ward-Prowse 3 minutes later.

Sindelar latched onto a Jurcik clearance from a Liverpool corner in the 79th minute, but after beating his man, he fired inches wide.

We shared the points in the end, mostly thanks to Dragowski’s outstanding performance in goals. It was nice to see Sindelar get on the scoresheet again, and the youngsters coped pretty well, though unsurprisingly, a full-strength Liverpool were the better side. Not a bad way to end the season.

POM: Phillipe Coutinho (9.0, 0G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Bartlomiej Dragowski (8.1, 9 Saves, 1 Conceded)

I win the Manager of the Year Award, for leading the Saints to a maiden Premier League title!

Four of my players were selected in the Premier League Team of the Year. Augustinsson, for the second straight year, along with Asensio in his first full season for the club, and my centre back partnership of Laporte and Süle, who have justified the massive figures spent to bring them to the club.

I find Barcelona’s Season Review amusing, although Real Madrid had won 3 years in a row, so perhaps it was fair. It was a great season for the Catalans, who did the domestic double, trumping their rivals in both competitions.

It’s hard to argue with this year’s Best XI. Chambers deservedly won the Fans’ Player of the Season, and the review is spot on with our moment to forget - though it’s a toss-up between that and the Stoke loss - but certainly with our moment to remember. The 5-0 win at Arsenal was the turning point and from then we stormed to the title.

Laporte immediately joins the starting lineup of our overall Best XI after a superb debut season.

Would anyone be interested in a kind of squad overview, with screenshots of players? Please let me know if you'd like to see one, if not then I will just go straight into the offseason :)

Great comeback in the league! Congrats.

I would be interested in the squad review.

Wow, great achievement that mate :) Good luck in the champions league next season!

Nice one! Onward and upwards to Champions League glory! :)

Great comeback in the league! Congrats.

I would be interested in the squad review.

Thanks for the support guys :)

Once I've posted the update I have ready I will get onto the squad review. I'll try to include the best prospects as well as the first team :)

Back